Gusto's Achewood vs. xkcd September CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alt text was the best part of this update, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Erm... That's normal. Sometimes the punchline is in the alt-text! You should expect this from xkcd and try to see the a-t as an integral part of the comic :)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Achewood does that too, sometimes.

Maybe I'm a slobbering fanboy, but I can't recall an Achewood where the only funny part was in the alt-text. Again, I love the characters in Achewood so much that little throwaway lines in panel one usually make me giggle, so.....

Maybe I'm a slobbering fanboy, but I can't recall an Achewood where the only funny part was in the alt-text. Again, I love the characters in Achewood so much that little throwaway lines in panel one usually make me giggle, so.....
Well yeah of course. There are bunch of little lines that are awesome because they make you think "Oh man that is so Pat" or something like that. I just meant that it's often that alt-texts add to the strip, or that the strip itself has no discernible punchline, but rather depends on the character humour.

And does it well. :)

And of course, there are the strips that aren't supposed to be funny (the Phillipe/Nice Pete arc, this current arc, etc.)...

I pretty much solidify the OPs thoughts:

I laughed at every one of the XKCD comics posted in this thread, and didn't even crack a slight grin at any of the Achewood. Not even slightly.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I didn't find Suspicion funny, it's the worst of the 3 xkcd this month to me. By far.

Perhaps your sense of humor is just different Gusto. Perhaps you're looking for something different out of a webcomic than 15 seconds of entertainment (comics or intercourse, my expectations are the same)

If I could get 15 seconds of entertainment out of any of this week's xkcd strips, I'd have called this experiment a quasi-success.

Today's came closest.

Honestly, if I get to the end of the month and my opinion is still anti-xkcd, at least I can say that I gave it MORE than a fair chance. I'd be satisfied with that.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I do, CG. IF the comic doesn't laugh at my jokes, it has no sense of humor

I like XKCD most of the time (this month thus far notwithstanding), but Achewood is preferred. It took a few tries though. The first few times I attempted the archives, I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't until someone posted the comic from the party where Todd farted that I knew I had to persevere. That one comic made me laugh out loud at least twice, and anyone who can master bathroom humor in that manner is an artist worthy of my attention.

L

Lally

I used to be crazy about XKCD but I think that was as a result of doing an archive trawl and seeing all the good strips all at one time. Now I'm just kind of ambivalent to it. It's very VERY hit or miss.

As far as Achewood, I've always wanted to get into it but haven't made myself yet. I think it's the timesuck factor.

As far as Achewood, I've always wanted to get into it but haven't made myself yet. I think it's the timesuck factor.
I was the same way. I started reading it on Christmas Eve 2008, desperate to spend my winter break doing ANYTHING at all.

I never tried XKCD (one day), but I do like Achewood. Couldn't tell you why for the life of me, though. I very rarely laugh at it. I just enjoy reading it, although it's nowhere near my favourites.

ElJuski

Staff member
Ame, it scared me that that list was the top ten "best xkcds". I can say, however, that you can totally tell who the tech people are, and what they expect for lulz. Except for Shego, of course, but I figured she wouldn't enjoy Achewood anyway.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

also: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04122002

The thing is, I'm REALLY stretching here. I'm TRYING to find the humor in them. I'm not even attempting to troll this thread in the least.

T

Twitch

Those are terrible. I like XKCD less now having looked at what are the "best"

I'm afraid we're all gonna end up more galvanized than where we began in our respective camps here, but believe me when I say that I AM TRYING.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I don't know. Some exposure to achewood might get me interested. But so far I still find Family Circus more entertaining (even the ones Billy draws)

I

Iaculus

I disagree with that Top Ten for xkcd - way too niche, even by an admittedly niche comic's standards. Here are just some of my personal favourites:

Asteroid:

Alt-text =
My Deep Impact/Little Prince crossover fanfic has been poorly received by the community.

Troll Slayer:

Alt-text =
We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Outreach:

Alt-text =
Completely implausible? Yes. Nevertheless, worth keeping a can of shark repellent next to the bed.

New Car:

Alt-text =
Somewhere out there is a company that has actually figured out how to enlarge penises, and it's helpless to reach potential customers.

Parking:

Alt-text =
Police reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no-one claims to have seen who did it.

Friends:

Alt-text =
Friends with detriments.

Google Maps:

Alt-text =
Apparently Google Maps assumes you're travelling during the ferry's normal operating hours. We lost two hours circling that damn lake (to say nothing of the Straw Man).

Duty Calls:

Alt-text =
What do you wnt me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

From Straub's twitter, from a strip he did and edited a couple weeks back:

I lolled. He's pretty passive-aggressively anti-xkcd.

I

Iaculus

And here I was thinking it was a tacit acknowledgement of the blaaatant subtext between Cutter and Memnon...

Status
Not open for further replies.