Gusto's Achewood vs. xkcd September CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutter has only one eye and a bad ass looking metal eyepatch thing... how can you confuse him with that curly haired nerd!?

Cajungal

Staff member
It's hard for me to explain why I love Achewood. I just do. I think it's just one of those things--you either get it or you don't. I'm not trying to insult people who don't like it. I just think it's one of those things that you either like or you don't.

It's like... Tim + Eric. My brother, cousin, and a few of their friends love that show. I think it's stupid, but there's something about it that makes them laugh every time. I think their stash might have something to do with it. (B'owl is a funny sketch, though... it's hard to not love Bob Odenkirk.)

You know... I'm a big XKCD fan... and the more Achewood I read the more I... like both for very different reasons.

I gotta be straight, since I have a margarita in my hand... that Tori Amos joke had me rolling.

That's the thing, when you have to defend a comic by saying "You either get it or you don't, it's just not funny if you don't get it" seems to be a weak excuse.

At least when you complain about other webcomics, there are things you can nitpick. With Achewood, the complaint against it, is that people just don't find it funny as a whole.

but it is the only real explanation. it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. if you can't accept that reasoning, then you're going to be disappointed by anything we say and there is no real reason for you to be here

Cajungal

Staff member
That's the thing, when you have to defend a comic by saying "You either get it or you don't, it's just not funny if you don't get it" seems to be a weak excuse.

At least when you complain about other webcomics, there are things you can nitpick. With Achewood, the complaint against it, is that people just don't find it funny as a whole.
Right. Because some things appeal to very specific types of people. It's why one thing that makes one laugh won't even make another person blink. People are just different sometimes. I'm sure if I took the time I could pick apart what exactly draws me to both Achewood and why certain people find it funny. But in the long run, I don't care much. I say it has good characters. Other don't. I think the dialogue is clever. Others don't. I think... etc etc.

So yeah, all there is left to say is you like it or you don't like it and then move on with my life. In the end, it doesn't matter who likes what as long as we all laugh.

SEPTEMBER 4

Achewood: Roast Beef Takes a Gamble

Again, not a funny strip. Not supposed to be.

It is interesting to note a few things though:

- Molly either hasn't noticed RBK's absence or is used to him wandering off in the night.
- We can only assume Teodor and brain-damaged Ray are locked inside the burning Escalade.
- We have no idea whether RBK accepted his fate or chose to escape it.

ElJuski

Staff member
I thought it was implied that RB was going back to his fate...but who knows. Meanwhile...I can only imagine T's fear and anger while Ray, like a dope with a two-inch book wound in his face, talks about how the escalade is hot like a chinchilla.

SEPTEMBER 7

xkcd: Blockbuster Mining

Hm.

Needs more explosions and sunsets. Admittedly I know almost nothing about Harriet the Spy so I may be missing some of the hidden gold in this strip, but yeah, I get the overall joke. Michael Bay makes ridiculous action movies. LOL. Hi- LARious.

And the alt text isn't so much funny as it is a twitter post.

This challenge is making me realize that I don't, in fact, enjoy xkcd much at all.

I guess that's a good thing to know?

Well yeah. Basically.

I could never get into it and mostly kinda wrote it off. People sometimes link me to them or show me particularly decent ones, and that's cool, but I never really gave xkcd a chance to grow on me.

That's what this month is kinda about.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I believe that's part of the joke, Charles. Thank you for ruining it for everyone.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Should I have included a smiley? Should Chuck have done so? Did you need to?

Is anyone here actually being serious? Damn the internets is tuff

Status
Not open for further replies.