Gusto's Achewood vs. xkcd September CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
This month's XKCDs are the worst I've seen so far.

Don't judge by this month's so far.

Also, most of the Achewoods posted here are.. Shit, I couldn't even think of a word to describe how awful they are.

BUT, the motorcycle one made me laugh. It was awesome.

This is my favorite XKCD:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_man_who_fell_sideways.png

Granted, it's not L-O-L hilarious, but it's just a very funny execution to me. Seriously, I feel like you should start from the first strips onward. You could finish the archive in an hour and have a better judgement.

K

Kitty Sinatra

what's the Alt text on that, doom? Ya gotta tell me what the Alt text is, doom. I need to know what the Alt text is, doom.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Thanks for the hit, Amorous. I'm a wreck when I don't get my Alt text.

SEPTEMBER 8

Achewood: Of Head Wounds and Identity

Looks like we're getting to the end of this story. It's kind of satisfying to have Beef repeat lines that we've known Cartilige Head to use in the past, and it's great to see Teodor get all uppity about OnStar almost killing him and Ray.

The alt-text is unrelated but paints a pretty vivid (and adorable!) picture. Best Achewood update during September so far, but I'm really eager to get back into a lighter storyline or even some of those humourous between strips. :)

SEPTEMBER 9

xkcd: Date

So. Geneticists on a date, huh.

I guess this is a decent enough joke, although I didn't laugh or smile or anything. The idea that geneticists would have a much more specific type of conversation about their future children is pretty good, although the caption explaining that talking about future offspring might happen on a first date suggests to me that Munroe doesn't date much.

SEPTEMBER 9

xkcd: Date

So. Geneticists on a date, huh.

I guess this is a decent enough joke, although I didn't laugh or smile or anything. The idea that geneticists would have a much more specific type of conversation about their future children is pretty good, although the caption explaining that talking about future offspring might happen on a first date suggests to me that Munroe doesn't date much.
I'm thinking you're a lost cause.

well, first date is the most unexpected date to have that kind of conversation on. Therefore, it is the funniest one. If they were having that kind of conversation when they were planning to have children, it'd be expected. First date, nah.

Maybe. I find his funnier comics are the ones with way too much detail and greater length, but I really like that kind of really specific detail in a LOT of webcomics, including Achewood and Order of the Stick.

those are his funnier comics. munroe can pace and time long comic strips much better than his usual four panel or one panel comics.

today's probably would have been improved if he had them meet for this date, talk for a bit, discover they're both biologists, and then connect over building punnet squares.

as a one-panel, it seem like a rush job. Which it might have been. Munroe is punctual.

today's probably would have been improved if he had them meet for this date, talk for a bit, discover they're both biologists, and then connect over building punnet squares.
And then it ends with the in-laws meeting each other, also geneticists, who knew this fated union would happen for the past thirty years. :O

K

Kitty Sinatra

but that would turn them into psychohistorians, not biologists. That wouldn't be funny.

D

Dusty668

Ok on tuesday and today I read through Achewood and XKCD archives, and this entire forum discussion. My view on the comics in question are unchanged. One I didn't like as of monday, one I did. If my opinion changes in the upcoming month, and this 'challenge' continues to the end of september, I will let you know.

That is all. :zoid:

Ambiguities!

I am excited. And also very glad that you gave one of them a chance, even if you didn't end up liking it.

Part of me thinks that I SHOULD go through the entire xkcd archive, but another part of me hasn't been intrigued/entertained enough by what I've seen of it to really give a shit.

D

Dusty668

I just don't see how my shouting how one is super far better than the one you like would change your mind.

One time I got into a discussion with an artist about their comics. They decided that all their early work before a certain event was utter crap, and not worthy of viewing so they were going to take down and eliminate all previous pieces.

I had, what I thought, were reasonable valid points about their earlier artwork and how it was quite great-including specific stylistic choices I saw, along with my personal beliefs.

This artist chose to disregard it completely. Their call, their art. I have my copies saved. They may change their mind later, I don't know.

The point is, you like one, I like one, some like both. I can't convince you to change your taste, so why get all twisted.

D

Dusty668

I'll leave the drama for the drama lovers. I'm just here for the comics.:Leyla:

I'd rather see why someone likes one comic or another rather than hear how stinky they think the other is.

Fair enough but I'm not gonna pull punches on criticism if strips are deserving of it.

And they ALL are, quite frankly.

I can tell you right now my five favourite webcomics, in no particular order, and tell you parts where I feel they suffer.

My point is basically that everyone has their own opinion and that's great, but if we're not gonna discuss divergent viewpoints on anything, or compare and contrast, then I don't see why we have any need to discuss ANY kind of media.

Dang I don't feel very eloquent today...

Status
Not open for further replies.