[Contest] Guess when Kim Davis relents and leaves prison!

Mark Hamill is actually VERY prolific. He's most known for his villain roles (The Joker, Emperor Ozai, Skeleton King in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force GO!, Mr. Salacia in Metalocalypse, etc) but he's also Skips on Regular Show, the Fear Feaster on Adventure Time, Turtle on My Friends Tigger and Poo, Stickybeard on Codename: Kids Next Door, Larry 3000 on Time Squad... he's been in damn near everything and virtually all of his acting work since 1992 has been as a voice actor. Mark Hamill gets SERIOUS work.[DOUBLEPOST=1442769893,1442769730][/DOUBLEPOST]

On the plus side, Carrie Fisher knows script writing and is a excellent script doctor for Hollywood.
I'm very familiar with her writing.

She is a great novelist as well.

Now her lawyers are claiming she had a secret meeting with the Pope. Vatican will neither confirm nor deny. I call bullshit.

He probably said, "Yeah, yeah, I've gotta go give a homily at a correctional facility in Pennsylvania, tell her to go talk to her local priest."

You know, even it is is true, I wouldn't be surprised. He's still the pope of the Catholic Church, and has been opposed to same-sex marriage in the recent past. He's also the titular ruler of an actual theocracy whose laws only change as said theological doctrine is updated/reformed.

I know many of us like the idea of "Pope Lefty", but he's still the Pope.

You know, even it is is true, I wouldn't be surprised. He's still the pope of the Catholic Church, and has been opposed to same-sex marriage in the recent past. He's also the titular ruler of an actual theocracy whose laws only change as said theological doctrine is updated/reformed.

I know many of us like the idea of "Pope Lefty", but he's still the Pope.
Possibly, but it's also possible that he admonished her. We already know that he met with Boehner too and it basically made him quit politics....

Possibly, but it's also possible that he admonished her. We already know that he met with Boehner too and it basically made him quit politics....
For all we know, they just had a regular, completely non-consequential conversation about day-to-day life at the Vatican, and Boehner realized that he deals with religion in government more than Pope does in his religious government, and said, "Fuck this. I'm out!"

Dave

Staff member
The Vatican has said they told her to "Stay strong."

:facepalm:

That's all this delusional bigoted bitch needs - more validation.

The Vatican has said they told her to "Stay strong."

:facepalm:

That's all this delusional bigoted bitch needs - more validation.
The Vatican officially said:
"I cannot not deny the meeting took place but I have no comments to add," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said in Italian Wednesday.
Meeting = confirmed.
Content = not confirmed.

--Patrick

Or the Vatican.

http://insidethevatican.com/news/letter-38-2015-kim-and-francis

Why are you trying so hard to disprove this?
Why are you trying so hard to prove it? :p It's not so hard to wait for further developments.

The article you linked uses Kim Davis as its sole source about the content of the meeting (as far as my reading comprehension shows me). It is truthful, as of right now and to the best of my knowledge, that there is no published account or comment about this event that doesn't come from her or her lawyer/representative/entourage (except for the Vatican confirming that it happened).

Inside the Vatican is not an official Holy See publication, last I checked.

Dave

Staff member
I'm not trying hard to prove it. I'm linking reputable sources with the information. But believe what you will, of course. The meeting happened and he supported her. Argue the minutia all you want.

I'm not trying hard to prove it. I'm linking reputable sources with the information. But believe what you will, of course. The meeting happened and he supported her. Argue the minutia all you want.

Not at all surprising, really.

@Dave: I believe that the Pope met with her, and probably (95%+) gave her encouraging words, possibly (5%+) high-five'd her for her bigotry, maybe (40%+) gave her a hug.
I don't, however, know that as a matter of fact. Pretending otherwise is an exercise in truthiness. Kim Davis is not trustworthy as far as I'm concerned.

Don't Evangelicals usually believe that Catholics are demon agents of Satan?
These days it's only relevant when they're not in agreement with whatever the topic of discussion is. The perceived War on Christianity has helped to close the ranks, IMO.

The perceived War on Christianity
Insofar there is a War on Christianity, it's in Europe, not in the USA. Anyone who actually manages to convince themselves that there is, is an idiot. It's one of those cases where "check your privilege" may actually apply. All of them are welcome to stay in the German Syriah refugee camps, though. Enjoy.

(I do not think there's an actual War on Christianity going on here or that there's a Muslim Invasion or any of the other shit extreme right is peddling these days. This doesn't mean we don't have to be vigilante against a small percentage of people coming in, though, as evidenced by what's been going on in those camps)

Why are you trying so hard to disprove this?
I'm not trying to disprove.
I'm reminding everyone that the only public accounts we have of what was discussed at this meeting come from people who have a history of twisting things to their own ends.
I'm not attempting to suggest it couldn't happen, I'm just saying we can't prove that it did, since the only public statements come from people who have a history of being unreliable.

It is easy, but dangerous, to give assumptions the power of fact.
Every article I've seen represents her statements as fact, but none of them make any effort to warrant it.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Don't Evangelicals usually believe that Catholics are demon agents of Satan?
I attended an evangelical college (it was not a good choice, but I have a degree so...). In religion classes I was taught that Catholics are not Christian. I forget the reason, but Catholicism was considered a separate religion. Since it was not part of Christianity, then Catholics were blasphemous and profane.

As someone who grew up Catholic, that kind of thinking can fuck itself. I have a few friends who are religious of the Pentacostal variety and they usually refer to Catholics as separate than Christians and I usually have to remind them that they're both Christians.

Difference is Catholics don't claim that protestants aren't Christians.

"Catholic" is a term coined around the 3rd/4th century to indicate "universal" or "united". Its meaning went down the drain slowly until Luther threw his Theses up on the Door of a chapel in Germany.

As someone who grew up Catholic, that kind of thinking can fuck itself. I have a few friends who are religious of the Pentacostal variety and they usually refer to Catholics as separate than Christians and I usually have to remind them that they're both Christians.

Difference is Catholics don't claim that protestants aren't Christians.
Sure, but they still say that if you aren't Catholic Christian you aren't worthy to get communion during Mass.

Sure, but they still say that if you aren't Catholic Christian you aren't worthy to get communion during Mass.
Man you can't even have communion if you are Catholic and haven't done the whole shebang with first communion and such.

I was raised Catholic and have since basically declared myself agnostic. My mother still attempts to use how cute my daughter would look in a First Communion gown as a guilt trip. :p