[Contest] Guess when Kim Davis relents and leaves prison!

Dave

Staff member
I'm doing this here and on my Facebook page.

Rules:
  • Pick the date that Kim Davis recants and gets to leave prison. (This would be the date she hits the news as saying she will comply with the order, not the date she leaves.)
  • Closest to the date without going over wins.
  • No doubles on dates. First come first served.
Prize:
  • $25 donated to the LGBT charity of your choice, either in your name or anonymously.
I have Tuesday, September 8.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I'm taking today.
That's a bold move, Cotton!

You think after all her underlings go, "Naw, we'll do it now that she's gone." she'll relent?

As I said on Facebook, if she does anything but die of old age in prison she is stating that she's putting her own comfort above that of her loyalty to god. :devil:

That's a bold move, Cotton!

You think after all her underlings go, "Naw, we'll do it now that she's gone." she'll relent?

As I said on Facebook, if she does anything but die of old age in prison she is stating that she's putting her own comfort above that of her loyalty to god. :devil:
I doubt you'd respect her even if she did.

I think this woman should leave her job. I think she isn't following the law of the land. I think she was wrong to not issue marriage certificates and should be replaced with someone who will--but that's about as far as it goes. This glee over a woman being thrown into prison over it strikes me in a bad way, but it's about what I've come to expect from religion being talked about on the internet.

Dave

Staff member
It's not that I want a religious person thrown in jail. You're religious? Go nuts. Worship to your heart's content. Just don't use your religion as a crutch to justify your prejudiced or illegal views or acts. I love seeing hypocritical criminals getting their comeuppance.

Additionally, she's only in jail as long as she wants. She can leave at any time simply by following the rule of law she swore (on the bible no less!) to uphold. She needs to render unto Caesar like some hippie told her to.

I am going with September 11th

*edit*

It looks like someone on Facebook chose that date already. :(

So my new guess will be September 14th

Last edited:
I'll go for the long play -- she doesn't back down and spends the rest of her term in jail.

Pick the date that Kim Davis recants and gets to leave prison.
Small nitpick -- The government can not force her to recant as that would actually be a violation of the first amendment. She can relent and comply with the order.

I was just thinking if the honorable Harold T. Stone was presiding, she'd relent within half an hour, there'd be laughs, a magic trick, Mel Torme, and she'd be be relentlessly hit on by her public defender.

if she does anything but die of old age in prison she is stating that she's putting her own comfort above that of her loyalty to god. :devil:
I'm got my cow patty on God visits her and tells her she has suffered enough and she needs to leave and look after her babies.

Praise be!

I was just thinking if the honorable Harold T. Stone was presiding, she'd relent within half an hour, there'd be laughs, a magic trick, Mel Torme, and she'd be be relentlessly hit on by her public defender.
I never understood what Brent Spiner saw in her in the first place.

Where's the option for she'll resign her post thereby relieving her from obeying the court order and in the end still claim to hold the moral high ground but yet still get out of prison?

cause that's what how I suspect it'll play out. She'll do a token time and then come foreword and say "I won't do it, but I will resign because I miss my family/I miss my church/God told me to/etc."

Where's the option for she'll resign her post thereby relieving her from obeying the court order and in the end still claim to hold the moral high ground but yet still get out of prison?

cause that's what how I suspect it'll play out. She'll do a token time and then come foreword and say "I won't do it, but I will resign because I miss my family/I miss my church/God told me to/etc."
This is basically my guess too. She doesn't have what it takes to make it in the pokey.

Dave

Staff member
The contest is what day it's announced that she'll leave jail, regardless of the reasons.

Read this. Basically she is a county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples on religious grounds. She was thrown in jail for contempt of court when ordered to issue them. It's part of her job. She is an elected official, too.
I'm pretty sure she's just appointed, but the board that can remove her basically agrees with her.

Read this. Basically she is a county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples on religious grounds. She was thrown in jail for contempt of court when ordered to issue them. It's part of her job. She is an elected official, too.
Ah. Then I'd bet she's nutty enough to ride out the sentence. I know that's already been called, but that's okay. That's the only prediction I want to make.