[Movies] Green With Envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJuski

Staff member
So I was surprised there wasn't anybody talking about The Muppets on here. And I just found this thread. You can read up on my full review over at littosonline, but the gist of it is, it's a pretty lousy movie, by movie standards. But it's also a fun experience. I'll never want to see The Muppets again, I don't think, but as a pop-cultural lynchpin, it really hit the spot.

So I was surprised there wasn't anybody talking about The Muppets on here. And I just found this thread. You can read up on my full review over at littosonline, but the gist of it is, it's a pretty lousy movie, by movie standards. But it's also a fun experience. I'll never want to see The Muppets again, I don't think, but as a pop-cultural lynchpin, it really hit the spot.

Typical Juski, disliking things.

Btw, even though this thread has been taken over by talk of the Muppet movie, does anyone know when Green with Envy is being released? I thought it was supposed to be in the theaters by now.
It got delayed due to creative differences. There's talk that production stopped and it might not even come out, now.

ElJuski

Staff member
Typical Juski, disliking things.
Hey now, I never said I didn't like the movie. It was about as excellent as a movie-going experience can go. Had a bunch of beers and a full thing of popcorn and I was giggling the whole time. But just because seeing a bunch of my old childhood friends making jokes makes me happy, a good MOVIE makes it not. The best way I can describe it is, is it's like going to see one of your favorite old bands. They play the set, it's not as great as you remember it, but it's another good memory. Doesn't mean I'm going to go buy the concert DVD, doesn't mean I'm going to keep going to their shows.

Hey now, I never said I didn't like the movie. It was about as excellent as a movie-going experience can go. Had a bunch of beers and a full thing of popcorn and I was giggling the whole time. But just because seeing a bunch of my old childhood friends making jokes makes me happy, a good MOVIE makes it not. The best way I can describe it is, is it's like going to see one of your favorite old bands. They play the set, it's not as great as you remember it, but it's another good memory. Doesn't mean I'm going to go buy the concert DVD, doesn't mean I'm going to keep going to their shows.
I was just doing the Fade joke. It's okay; you haven't been here in a while. But this Gilliam Chatsworth asshole? He totally pre-stole your avatar.

Also, just saw the movie this morning and I kinda see what Juski is saying in the sense that it was an experience. Quality of the movie though? For me, that was perfect. They hit everything they should've referenced and it felt like a pure Muppet movie. I was surprised at how great the audience was for a Sunday morning crowd. I've never heard applause from a matinee audience, ever. It was also amusing when the theater would be quiet but for the sound of adults chuckling while all the kids were silent, having not gotten whatever joke was going on. For the most part though, kids were into it to. There was a lot of "Mahna Mahna" going through the audience as people left the theater at the end.
There were so many great jokes and moments. Also, Chris Cooper was something else.
Added at: 17:11
what's a Fade joke :( and yeah, that punk makes me more angry than a...than a yak in heat.
Fade's gotten a reputation as the guy who doesn't like things, even though he actually likes many things. It's become a running joke for an overgeneralization...
...That I will confess here, I'm the one who started it. I was being snippy back when we had the old approve/disapprove system and the comments were anonymous, and I was marking certain posts of Fade's as disapprove, with comments about he didn't like anything, because he criticized the look of a certain cosplayer who is beyond criticism. No one else would've known, except he made a post about it, and then it became a thing.
It feels good to have that off my chest.

The
Smells Like Teen Spirit quartet
had the entire adult portion of the audience I was with in hysterical tears...and the kids there just laughed at us for yacking it up like hyenas.

So this movie was rated PG because....Sex, nudity, violence and gore.

Seriously.
Somewhere there's a slasher film with a G-rating.

A young man flings open a door, smashing a muppet behind it; the muppet slinks out from behind the doorway, unharmed. Several muppets cram into a large suit; they walk unsteadily through a room, accidentally knocking into a lamp until they fall to the ground (the muppets climb out of the suit unharmed).
So violent!

A muppet dramatically shouts and runs away, we see a muppet-sized hole in the wall and then see that the muppet is unharmed.
...This started silly and now it's getting insulting.

Not only was it fantastic but it was an INCREDIBLE date movie.

Also, Condorman. Condorman had me in fucking tears. I was probably the only person in the audience losing his shit over Condorman.

Jason Segel on Frank Oz:
"I saw his comments, which made me sad. But he hadn't seen the movie yet. I just have no doubt that when he sees the movie, he'll be really proud of all of us. I'm not particularly worried about it. I wish he had seen the movie before he made his comments, but I understand being nervous about some new blood coming in that you don't know and kind of taking over something that you created. But I think he's going to be really proud of this movie."

BananaHands

Staff member
In my opinion, the movie was very well done. I used to rent the Muppet Show from the 70s when I was a kid and I felt that it reminded me of the show a lot more than the movies.

Although I loved the Kermit and Fozzie looking up at the stars and reflecting scene, that was usually in the movies, right?

My ONLY complaint is that there was more people singing than muppets singing. I could have done without the rap... but still... that's just a minor complaint.

ElJuski

Staff member
In my opinion, the movie was very well done. I used to rent the Muppet Show from the 70s when I was a kid and I felt that it reminded me of the show a lot more than the movies.

Although I loved the Kermit and Fozzie looking up at the stars and reflecting scene, that was usually in the movies, right?

My ONLY complaint is that there was more people singing than muppets singing. I could have done without the rap... but still... that's just a minor complaint.
fuck you. Chris Cooper needs to come beat your ass. That rap was awesome.

ElJuski

Staff member
I'm just saying, you don't want Chris Cooper on your badside. He's the guy you go to when your movie's protagonist's friend needs a shitty dad.

Breaking Dawn beat it to number one for the weekend, and I'm really hoping this is a real comeback for the Muppets rather than a swan song.

Fuckin' Twihards.

Breaking Dawn may have been number 1, but it was number 2 at 30 million, which is wholly respectable going up against such competition.

And people are actually liking the Muppets.

ElJuski

Staff member
I have no doubt the Muppets have done well enough that they'll milk the series for at least one more. Let the Twilight punks do their thing.

WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A CHILD THAT YOUNG TO THAT MOVIE?

"I'd heard that people were having seizures and my son has seizures, but he was fine watching the movie."

OH MY GOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.