Good Cosplay Thread - pt3 - The Pros of Cons

OMG Bayonetta's!!! (I'm secretly, not so secretly, working on Bayonetta right now! I hope to be as good as these cosplayers, geez!)

Also, yay for Cerulean Draco!! I'm so glad he made it on here. He's awesome. =^^=

Also, also, the Eddie Riggs with Ophelia is her husband Jerry. (I'm hoping they're going to be at SDCC this year so I can meet them.)

figmentPez

Staff member
Also, yay for Cerulean Draco!! I'm so glad he made it on here. He's awesome. =^^=
Did you notice the link? It's all I had for him, I didn't know of any personal page or Flickr stream to link to.

Also, also, the Eddie Riggs with Ophelia is her husband Jerry. (I'm hoping they're going to be at SDCC this year so I can meet them.)
I always hate leaving him out, his costumes are just as good as BelleChere's, but he doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves. However, he wasn't identified in the photos, and I wasn't sure if it was him. Did he loose weight, or is the Eddie costume just throwing me off?

Did you notice the link? It's all I had for him, I didn't know of any personal page or Flickr stream to link to.

I always hate leaving him out, his costumes are just as good as BelleChere's, but he doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves. However, he wasn't identified in the photos, and I wasn't sure if it was him. Did he loose weight, or is the Eddie costume just throwing me off?
Heh, derrrr! I didn't even notice where you linked, but thats awesome! Thanks! His main page that he uses is on ACParadise, I think. I'm not familiar with the site, so yeah.

I totally agree! You know, I have no idea, I just know that thats him. She talked about it somewhere - him being Eddie with her, sorry I don't know more.

figmentPez

Staff member
Had some formatting issues with this post, let me know if anything still seems wrong.

Thirty from Fifty - Pez's favorite photos of the thread thus far 1 of 3

Okay, here are what I consider the best photos of the thread thus far. They're not necessarily the best costumes, or the best cosplayers. They might not even be good photos by anyone's definition but my own. Still, I like them, and I'll tell you why.

In an order that may only make sense to myself, and not any sort of ranking:

Harley Quinn
The quality of this costume is amazing. The white face make-up looks like porcelain, the prop gun is marvelous and overall it's so very very Harley and the photo shows it off perfectly.

Mirror_by_dangerousladies.jpg

Supergirl / Batgirl
I really enjoy the contrast of light and shadow in this pic. It's a wonderful consideration of the characters.

03 Pink Bunnie as Wonder Woman.jpg

Wonder Woman - played by Pink Bunnie
Okay, I cheated a little here. This isn't the photo that I originally put in the thread. I had a different photo from the same shoot. The model likes this one better, and in retrospect I agree, it's a much more powerful pose. Normally I just don't get the character of Wonder Woman, but Pink Bunnie makes me a believer. The pose, the expression, the lighting, it's a powerful photo that inspires thoughts of heroism.

Mary Marvel
I'm sure an art student could talk about "negative space" or something to explain why this photo works. I like how the muted colors bring to mind innocence and vulnerability, especially with the dark hallway threatening to swallow the entire scene.

05 Bullseye.jpg

Bullseye
This shot really makes the costume pop. The black of the costume against the green, but also the dark and blood of the character against the mundane setting.

06 Lady Skywalker as Rescue.jpg

Rescue - played by Lady Skywalker
Tally is a beautiful girl, and this is a great costume. The shot is simple, but framed and lit perfectly.

07 Riddle as Black Cat.jpg

Black Cat - played by Riddle
It's a jewel heist in a single photo. Lovely.

10 Wolverine.jpg

Wolverine
Wolverine, walking the grounds of the X-Mansion. 'Nuff said.

08 Hanna is not a Boy\'s Name.jpg

nameless zombie, Hanna, Veser played by alcblueyes, Jay-Dhee and Admantius
A beautiful shot where the expressions on each of the cosplayer's faces really capture the personality of the characters they are portraying.

09 Axe Cop.jpg

Axe Cop
Perspective. Grim, urban, cartoony perspective.

figmentPez

Staff member
Thirty from Fifty - Pez's favorite photos of the thread thus far - 2 of 3

11 Jasmine fighting Mamluks.jpg

Jasmine fighting Mamluks
Action shot! I loved this series as a kid.

12 Kida _ Atlantis.jpg

Kida (Disney's Atlantis)
I love bright colors set against a background of greenery.

13 Traci Hines as Ariel.jpg

Ariel played by Traci Hines
The sea spray creates a wonderful backdrop for this photo.

14 Merlin _ Disney.jpg

Merlin
The color of Merlin's robes fit in almost perfectly with the color themes of the pool area.

15 Alice in Wonderland.jpg

Alice
The low-angle perspective really gives a fun sense of conflicting sizes in this photo. Alice looks giant, hiding under what should be a tiny mushroom.

16 Witch Hunter Robin.jpg

Witch Hunter Robin
This location is pretty good for photos in general, but this one in particular. The golden glow in the foreground, with the pale blue world beyond, is very striking.

17 Gaara.jpg

Gaara of the Sand
Aww, it's just soooo cute!

18 Mio Akiyama _ K On.jpg

Mio Akiyama (K-On)
I love arched hallways. Also, it looks like a still from a music video.

19 Kamina and Yoko.jpg

Kamina and Yoko
"Far beyond the farthest horizon, I crawled out of the village of Jiha! I have defeated a Gunman for every star in the sky! When they tell stories of Team Gurren's badass leader, it is I, Kamina, of whom they speak!"

20 Haruhi.jpg

Haruhi
I think I like the location of this shot more than the cosplay. Don't get me wrong, this Haruhi is a beautiful young lady, but I think a lot of characters could work in such a great setting.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sorry I missed yesterday, life is taking a bit more effort lately than I thought it would.

Thirty from Fifty - Pez's favorite photos of the thread thus far - 3 of 3

21 Velvet _ Odin Sphere.jpg

Velvet (Odin Sphere) played by Dessi-Desu
*sigh* so pretty... Not my favorite of Dessi-Desu's costumes, but this photo is amazing. Her Yui took my breath away when I first saw it, but I have to admit this photo of Velvet has the better backdrop, making for a better photo. I eagerly look forward to her future work.

22 Franzika Von Karma.jpg

Franziska Von Karma - played by Katie
The steel lines of this escalator make for some great visual interest, but as Jay said "These legs.... they never end."

23 Phoenix Wright _ Franziska Von Karma.jpg
Phoenix Wright, Franziska Von Karma
Cheating a little here and counting the last two photos as one. I couldn't decide. This one looks like a still from the opening shot of some 90's legal dramedy.

24 Demoman _ Soldier _ TF2.jpg

Demoman, Soldier (Team Fortress 2)
A fun photo that goes well with the playful tone of the game.

25 Ryu _ Street Fighter.jpg

Ryu (Street Fighter)
I think this shot was taken in a parking garage. However it was done, the lighting highlights the subject perfectly.

26 XtremeJenn as Lara Croft _ Tomb Raider.jpg

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) played by XtremeJenn
Talk about "above and beyond", this photo is amazing. That's some real dedication.

27 Lara Croft crossplay _ Tomb Raider.jpg

Lara Croft crossplay (Tomb Raider)
I think the spray of water droplets off of the guns is what really makes this photo for me.

28 Morrigan _ Darkstalkers.jpg

Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
The subdued colors in the rest of the photo really draw attention to Morrigan, setting her up as they eye-catching temptress in this evocative scene.

29 Mash-up.jpg

Three Character Mash-up (Devil Jin from Tekken, Kratos from God of War and the Prince from Prince of Persia)
The black wings against the yellow wall provide a very striking silhouette.

30 Alicia _ Bullet Witch.jpg

Alicia (Bullet Witch)
This photo evokes wistful feelings for me. The pose and setting make me think of those far away from me, whom I miss.

31 Kumatora _ Mother 3.jpg

Kumatora (Earthbound / Mother 3)
The bright colors of Kumatora play nicely against a nearly monochrome backdrop. I love how the waterfall, frozen in time, becomes almost strands of water, as if you could reach out and pluck a thread.

Dave

Staff member
You know, Pez, I really like the descriptions you have under the photos. And way to go, Heatherling! You're internet famous! And that's the best famous there is.

figmentPez

Staff member
You know, Pez, I really like the descriptions you have under the photos.
Thanks! I had to work hard to not feel like I was being repetitive. Most of my choices for this thread are just gut-reaction, it was interesting to stretch myself and try to express why I like certain photos.

Thanks! I had to work hard to not feel like I was being repetitive. Most of my choices for this thread are just gut-reaction, it was interesting to stretch myself and try to express why I like certain photos.
Did you ever have to fight the urge to write "Why do I like this!? Because FUCK YOU, that's why!"

figmentPez

Staff member
Did you ever have to fight the urge to write "Why do I like this!? Because FUCK YOU, that's why!"
No, but I was kind of surprised at some of the commonalities between the photos. That made my cynicism was more of a "Yeah, 'nother shot showing off the model's legs with bright colors as a background. Seriously Pez?"

Ah! I forgot to label it. I recognized her from her MST3K cosplay earlier. She has such a lovely smile; I love it when cosplayers look happy.
[/quote]
I've never met her, myself... only from photos, but I told my friend, "I like this Becky girl because her face is always like :awesome:" She's pretty much always smiling. <3