Good Cosplay Thread - pt3 - The Pros of Cons

T

Thornbush8

dded at: 13:14

been reading here for ages, thought I'd dive in and post something, mainly due to a lack of Strike Witches here, this one is Sanya. I'm working on the bottom section of the striker units (legs :) ) but they will have to be for static poses, cant see them being walkable in. heres another, including me as Joe Dredd. enjoy..or criticise at your pleasure

M

makare

Wait, so after all the amazing source perfect costumes that have been posted here, Daria and Jane are the only ones that impressed you?
I'm really not into cosplay in fact I rarely check this thread. Most cosplay is from anime, movies, comics and games that I not only have never seen but have never heard of. so while I can appreciate a costume makers skill it doesn't mean anything to me.
Now I love Daria and so seeing that one was awesome because I had the context to go with.

T

TallestSilver

Ping Tallest Silver (I know you're here somewhere :)). I saw some of your art via your tumblr page. It's good. We have an art forum here. Please share. :D
*spazzes and flails* Huh-wha? I'M AWAKE. I SWEAR.

Oh. An art forum stuffs. Yeah, I suppose I would if I drew anything recently. I guess that would get my ass into gear and actually do stuffs like that again.
And as a token of good humor, have some Power People.

Holy cow that dude in the middle looks a heck of a lot like Charlie. He's even making the face I would envision Charlie making should he ever find himself in the midst of a bunch of cosplayers.

And she was overwhelmed by the power of science?

Just out of curiosity... are there any good Power Girl comics? The only time I have really noticed the character in anything was watching Justice League Unlimited.

And she was overwhelmed by the power of science?

Just out of curiosity... are there any good Power Girl comics? The only time I have really noticed the character in anything was watching Justice League Unlimited.
She had an ongoing series back before the new 52 that was excellent, especially the 2009-2010 line, which had a lot of humor as well as beautiful illustrations. The 2011 series wasn't as good, but it was decent enough.

She had an ongoing series back before the new 52 that was excellent, especially the 2009-2010 line, which had a lot of humor as well as beautiful illustrations. The 2011 series wasn't as good, but it was decent enough.
I kind of put her in one of those categories with She-Hulk and Supergirl (irony).

They're mostly just filler characters who occasionally have a good writer make them awesome for a while.

T

TallestSilver

Shulkie is the Marvel equivalent of Power Girl.

And why yes, Peeg did have a splendid ongoing that made me fall devastatingly in love with her (AS A CHARACTER, GUYS)

Hnnnnnngh dat good female characterization. Also, dat art. I LOVE Amanda Conner's art like non other. I feel like the series dropped in quality after the Palmiotti/Conner team was off the book. Wasn't as funny, wasn't as pretty, just overall wasn't as good.

She-Hulk seems (somewhat understandably) under-represented in cosplay, from what I've seen - though admittedly, that's mostly here.

The burst shark suit looks like some actual effort went into it (knowing the right type of clothes, for one). I approve.

--Patrick

I love issues when She Hulk half of the issue doing lawyerly things, and the second half beating the puss out of the Abomination. She was pretty well rounded. She's is probably marvel's only really feminist character.

figmentPez

Staff member
Meagan Marie continues to impress me, not just with her artistic talent, but with her poise and intelligence. Check out this blog post of hers. (I disagree with her about reading the article she's commenting on. I thought that bit of dreck from "Dr. Nerdlove" was horrible, even if it does bring up important points.)

Some choice quotes:
"The truth is that while I enjoy garnering attention for my hard work on a costume (be it sexy or badass) I much prefer accolades for my professional work or other artistic endeavors. At Game Informer I was routinely disappointed when my long-lead editorial pieces flew under the radar, but a single snap of myself in costume circulated the Internet. Nowadays I’m ecstatic to spy a magazine feature for one of my SDCC ensembles, but thrive off feedback from the Tomb Raider community stating they appreciate my efforts."

"...it’s always a breath of fresh air when someone compliments my craftsmanship rather than my cleavage, because it’s easy to respond with genuine appreciation."

"Funny enough, this pedestal placement has increased my insecurities rather than bolstered my confidence. I honestly fear meeting fans in person and being greeted with disappointment when they realize I’m not perfect. I’m not a fabled and rare creature – a unicorn. I’m just me"

" What I’m getting at is that not all nerd girls want to be treated special for simply sharing common interests. Perhaps we’d rather be given accolades for the sum of our parts, rather than what you can gather at a glace."

--

That is why I want this thread to have comments made respectfully, it is what I hear cosplayers asking for. Megan Marie is definitely not the only one I've heard say this, she just happened to make an excellent post about it at the right time.

Another reason is this tweet from a cosplayer:
"I have gotten harassed by guys on the street every day this week. :| #seriouslyjustleavemealone"
That's what some girls put up with on a regular basis in their real life. If I can do something to stop that type of harassment from happening here, I will.

We've always had to deal with harassment. Out IRL (I've had guys tell me, nearly weekly, that I can't work on their account because I'm a woman and women can't do finances), I get hit on daily (the moment you turn someone down, even in a nice way, you're a total bitch/whore/stuckup etc), hounded for my geek side (every trip to the comic shop is an assault in itself), throw in the fact that the world is not even remotely as gay accepting as it attempts to show on TV and there's a photo of what it's like for some of us "IRL".

Then online it's nearly the same. Told I have no business being in hardcore games because I'm a girl, when it's realized that gaming isn't casual for me it becomes a hunt to get me to date with them/post tits etc.

HOWEVER: I cannot imagine that a woman who must go through all of this daily (minus being gay for some) can be bothered by comments online. I can't believe they'd be that thin-skinned after dealing with all the rest of that. So I'm torn as to whether to agree with you Pez or to tell you <DELETED>

This is a warning. Insulting cosplayers, even indirectly, will not be tolerated.