Good Cosplay Thread - pt3 - The Pros of Cons

figmentPez

Staff member
Shego, I moderated your post. It is not appropriate to insult women who don't like to be mistreated online. Just because you have developed a thick skin does not make it okay to insult them for not having done the same.

figmentPez

Staff member
Fig, you might want to compose and sticky a thread detailing any special rules you want people to follow in this section.
Yeah, I'm working on that. Taking care of my health has been monopolizing my time lately.

Sorry if I thought it was common sense to not make personal attacks on cosplayers quoted in this thread.

M

makare

The only rule should need to be "don't be a dick" that's my policy..

I tried to get that implemented at the campground i worked at and my manager was supportive but the boss was against it.

Shego, I moderated your post. It is not appropriate to insult women who don't like to be mistreated online.
FWIW, I don't see any insult (though I suppose it could have been contained in the portion which was deleted).

Looking forward to the codification of the standards. As with most opposite-sex interactions, it is good to know the boundaries up front so that they may be respected.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
FWIW, I don't see any insult (though I suppose it could have been contained in the portion which was deleted).
Yes, I deleted the portion that contained the insult.

It's okay to say "I think that the complaints are unjustified and poor treatment should just be ignored."
It's not okay to call someone a "whiny bitch" because she doesn't want to be treated like a piece of meat.

figmentPez

Staff member
Back to the cosplay:
Congratulations to Crystal Graziano on getting corporate sponsorship for her cosplay:
Announcing the Firefall Cosplay Program
Crystal will be working with special effects artist Steve Wang (Predator, the Guyver, Underworld, etc., etc.) to create a costume for the upcoming game Firefall. She'll also get all her cosplay funded for a year.

She does amazing work, and really deserves the recognition she's getting for the impressive costumes she's made.

figmentPez

Staff member
Post cosplay or tastefully talk about cosplay. No more off-topic posts.

You have a whole damn forum to post in. You can even start new threads in this sub-forum. Leave this thread for posting cosplay and commenting on the pictures posted here. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Wow, congrats so much to Crystal! I hope people remember that she was a cosplayer before this sponsership and isn't just a hired model. She has so much talent. =^^=

And yes...I'm secretly jealous.

WARLOCK!

As much as I hate comic book resurrections, I was kind of thrilled to hear they were bringing him back. I love the original New Mutants run. Before Liefeld got in there and liefelded it all over it.

Orihime and Rukia - Bleach

(Photo by Mike Rollerson - one of my favorite photographers ever! Super nice and accomodating.)

Madame Mirage - Top Cow
Cosplayer - Meagan Marie
Photographer - Ljinto

I adore Meagan so much! And Leonard's work is always amazing. Wonderful work on both counts for sure.

Original Designs
Cosplayers: Haru, Diana
Photographer: Ljinto

I enjoy the colors and designs of these, they work perfect with the environment. I hope someday to be able to execute my original designs as well as these two have.

Princess Agitha - Twilight Princess
Cosplayer: ?
Photographer: ?

Too adorable! And all the little details are spot on, which is so wonderful to see.

(Sorry my posts aren't as long and as amazig as Pez's...)

figmentPez

Staff member
(Sorry my posts aren't as long and as amazig as Pez's...)
Those are some great photos.

@katiecosplays was asked this question, and I think her answer makes for an interesting perspective on cosplay.

Q: Remember when cosplay was about meeting others in your fandom, because they’d go, “oh, you’re dressed up as so and so from blah blah “; and you’d squeal and say “Yeah! I love him/her”; start a convo, and become best friends?
I do. Back in my day, cosplay was never about all this modeling stuff,uber photography,etc. It was just a geeky thing to do around cons for fun.

A: Yes, I remember. I was 16, and we all sucked at cosplaying, doing our make-up, and posing. Now the costumes my friends make are practically works of art that deserve amazing photography to do them justice, and I have an established group of talented, amazing friends, so I don’t need to become BFFs with the now THOUSANDS of hyperactive, immature, obnoxious kiddos at cons who have learned to download XYZ anime! Sorry to burst your nostalgia bubble, but just because times were more innocent doesn’t necessarily mean they were better!
Oh, and a pic of Katie being oh-so-cute:

Pinkie Pie - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

M

makare

I like that tinkerbell up there but i am a disney fairy junkie. I like the kind of pastel look of her costume

I feel quite similar to Katie on the subject of how far cosplay has come. I think it's a wonderful change. It challenges me to learn new things and to be the best that I can instead of taking a back seat to what my capabilities are. I've gained so many new skills since I first started.

Just because we've gotten better at our craft doesn't mean everyone has moved away from what started us cosplaying.

And this is just me speaking in general...I mean, I don't mean to put words in to others mouths.

(Heh and Thank you Pez! I'll keep doing my best. =^^=)

so I don’t need to become BFFs with the now THOUSANDS of hyperactive, immature, obnoxious kiddos at cons who have learned to download XYZ anime!
while i agree this is true, I would like to say the shallow street goes both ways, if you publicly say that you think the kids are mouth breathers who have earned your disdain you have done nothing to prove that the people watching you should treat you with anymore respect then you show them. What I am saying is these kids are obviously looking up to her, and while she is not going to be their friend there is no need to be so harsh about how you feel about the people who are your fans.
I like her costumes a lot and she seems like a genuinely kind person, but to me this does not seem like the correct way to address the question. I think she would have been better to say "you know as I become more of a popular figure at convention I really wish I could be friends with everyone, but I can't, I am older now and times are different. these kids need to make their own friend groups like my peers and I did when we were their age."

figmentPez

Staff member
while i agree this is true, I would like to say the shallow street goes both ways, if you publicly say that you think the kids are mouth breathers who have earned your disdain you have done nothing to prove that the people watching you should treat you with anymore respect then you show them. What I am saying is these kids are obviously looking up to her, and while she is not going to be their friend there is no need to be so harsh about how you feel about the people who are your fans.
I like her costumes a lot and she seems like a genuinely kind person, but to me this does not seem like the correct way to address the question. I think she would have been better to say "you know as I become more of a popular figure at convention I really wish I could be friends with everyone, but I can't, I am older now and times are different. these kids need to make their own friend groups like my peers and I did when we were their age."
That's not how I took the answer at all. The way I read it was that she was excited about everyone she met when she was a kid, and hyper-enthusiastic to share about her fandom, so the crowds at a con excited her. Now that she's grown and has less time and energy, she's less excited about meeting other fans, and the crowds are more of a hassle. I didn't take it as a statement about the individuals who might talk to her, but about the conventions as whole, the size of crowds now, and the purpose of cosplay in general.

Also, a lot of conventions have seen attendance numbers skyrocket and that has changed the tone of the con. I've recently heard both Featherweight and Tallest Silver lament in vlogs about how larger cons are more of a hassle to deal with, and that they have enjoyed smaller conventions this year because of lighter crowds making it easier to enjoy being there.

well we will just say it is my mistake then and move on. I however agree with her feelings on the hassle. I use to go to the local con every year. but as I have gotten older and honestly dull it no longer appeals to me. it feels like a giant costume party to which I have little interest in being a part of. I have always been more of an academic about the whole hobby. I don't get into the fan-boyish side of it and spend more energy dissecting what is the deeper meaning that can be taken away from the shows. we use to do a panel and we were popular with the attendees, but we got snubbed, and I am honestly super busy and cant give up 3-4 days of my life when I am busy trying to finish my degree and I need to do research everyday and work strange hours. I feel like an old man really, my friends all think I am lame because I just don't feel like committing the kind of money and time it takes to go. I honestly just enjoy hanging out with my friends and shooting the shit. also if the cons were not so expensive, the last time I blew half a grand all together and it hurt.

H

Henchman 21

...Also, a lot of conventions have seen attendance numbers skyrocket and that has changed the tone of the con. I've recently heard both Featherweight and Tallest Silver lament in vlogs about how larger cons are more of a hassle to deal with, and that they have enjoyed smaller conventions this year because of lighter crowds making it easier to enjoy being there.

I agree, Wondercon was packed last year. Normally we like to walk the dealer floor in costume, but on Saturday it was far too crowded to try. We ended up going back and forth by the emergency exit doors. Our group isn't planning to go down to Anaheim for Wondercon 2012, so we'll see what happens in 2013.