Good Cosplay Thread - pt3 - The Pros of Cons

figmentPez

Staff member
Kotaku has Summer Cosplay Looks Like This. The best pics, IMO, being:

Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid

unknown - identified by drifter as "Pocco. Another standalone character from Shunya Yamashita"

unknown - Identified by AshburnerX as likely Monster Hunter cosplay.

Viletta Nu - Code Geass

Knight and King Slime - Dragon Warrior

I figured, but wasn't sure. :p

These things really don't disturb me now or even back when I was a kid. If you raise your kids like Cajun's parents did it should be a non-issue. There are lots of different people and even if it's not your 'thing' I don't think shunning your children from it is the greatest of ideas. Of course, opinions vary and I'm hardly the best example as I have been exposed to things at a very young age most don't want to see in their 30s. Desensitized maybe, but I'm not sure if that should be considered a bad thing. I like to think it has helped me to be more accepting.

..I rewrote this like 5 times and it still looks off. Just gonna leave it now.
*nod* That makes sense. I personally love to see people in their costumes and I think that if kids see it, they could see the beauty in it and maybe see that there are many forms of self-expression. I'm not in favor of shunning kids, the bulk of what I said and meant was for..uhh..I forget who posted it, but the person who seemed nervous about Bellechere's Lady Death cosplay. I think cosplay is beautiful and the time and effort people put into their costumes is..insane! But so worthwhile. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I"ve been exposed next to nothing, I live in a pretty small town. This year was my first year at comic con and I loved every minute of it!!! =^^= Anyway, I'm sure I'm rambling now, but yeah, I getcha!

M

MaryMarvel

I know my twin sister doesn't really approve of when I dress up b/c she wouldn't do it herself, and therefore kind of condemns it. Like the Isis costume is a reverse halter top. I asked her what she'd call that sort of top, and her only response was 'inappropriate'.

figmentPez

Staff member
This thread is officially taking over my life. I was watching the extras on the Eureka Season 2 DVDs and there was a segment at San Diego Comic Con from 2007. They had cosplayers asking Colin Ferguson questions, and I recognized two of them. Tallest Silver dressed up as Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas, and Miss KitQuinn dressed up as one of the Sailor Scouts. I wonder if those two know they're on there.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Just posting to say I dig the pun in the thread title, otherwise I don't care about this thread though, sorry, welp so long

C

coolsteel

I know my twin sister doesn't really approve of when I dress up b/c she wouldn't do it herself, and therefore kind of condemns it. Like the Isis costume is a reverse halter top. I asked her what she'd call that sort of top, and her only response was 'inappropriate'.

I never gave any thought to how that works for twins, every twin pair i've seen cosplay together usually in the same outfit or something similar . Would really suck if one didn't agree on the other's outfit being too revealing

figmentPez

Staff member
Ouch you're going to be behind, Otakon just got done and Dragoncon is around the corner
People don't post as many pics from Otakon (at least not to Flickr) as they do of SDCC. Dragon*Con is another story... I might still be trying to squeeze Dragon*Con pictures out of Flickr when 2011 rolls around.

Dave

Staff member
The last one you have as Unknown is GISWGBT.

Girl I See With Great Big Ti....

You get the idea.

Not that I'm complaining.

And I'm glad I was looking at that picture in 3DD.

Z

Zarvox

Ouch you're going to be behind, Otakon just got done and Dragoncon is around the corner
People don't post as many pics from Otakon (at least not to Flickr) as they do of SDCC. Dragon*Con is another story... I might still be trying to squeeze Dragon*Con pictures out of Flickr when 2011 rolls around.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget Gencon! It's not as heavy into the cosplay as some other cons, but it's still got some fun stuff.

C

coolsteel

I saw more Slayers Cosplay at Katsucon than Otakon this year, that just was weird. Hell there was way more Sailor Moon cosplay at Katsu as well, I guess times are changing.

I saw more Slayers Cosplay at Katsucon than Otakon this year, that just was weird. Hell there was way more Sailor Moon cosplay at Katsu as well, I guess times are changing.
Maybe I don't see much since I skip anime cons (I do watch some, but the real die-hards aren't my crowd). Dragon*Con and SDCC end up with more game/comic characters and the occasional popular anime characters (Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, K-On, etc).