Gas Bandit's Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GasBandit said:
Way to gloss over the main point... that now it is OK to do so, just in time for Obama to be sworn in, and the silence is deafening in the oh so principled peanut gallery.
What are you talking about? Do you forget what happened this summer? When Obama voted for the PAA, he got lambasted for it. The reason this ruling hasn't been making waves is that everyone expected it. No one seriously thought the PAA was unconstitutional. Now, just because it is legal for Obama to use warrantless wiretapping doesn't mean he has to. If it leaks that he is continuing the program, I for one will critisize him.

Espy said:
I hate being the last post on a page, no one sees it and I need attention, like a WHORE.
So, repost:
GasBandit said:
A scholar speaking at Obama's inauguration is from an Islamic group that has been linked to Hamas.
But in 2007 and as recently as last July, federal prosecutors in Dallas filed court documents linking the Hartford, Conn.-based Islamic society to the group Hamas, which the U.S. considers a terrorist organization.

Neither Mattson nor her organization have been charged. But prosecutors wrote in July that they had "a wide array of testimonial and documentary evidence expressly linking" the group to Hamas and other radical groups.
So... is this a big deal or not? It sounds like front page stuff yet this is the first I have heard of it... maybe being linked to a terrorist group doesn't sell papers anymore? Or is it nothing, just stupidity?
Just out of curiosity, why are federal prosecutors in Dallas, Texas involved in filing court documents involving a group in Hartford, Connecticut? Something smells funny in Dallas... or is it Hartford?

Krisken said:
Just out of curiosity, why are federal prosecutors in Dallas, Texas involved in filing court documents involving a group in Hartford, Connecticut? Something smells funny in Dallas... or is it Hartford?
I dunno, the whole thing seems odd. If it's true then it sounds like it should be a big deal and a terrible choice by Super O to have made, if it isn't... well that explains why no one is reporting on it.

GasBandit said:
Oh, I see. No, I wasn't trying to say this was INTENDED to give obama specifically this power, I was comparing the previous outrage with the current silence. That now it's ok with the media and the people.
Well, not everyone is OK with it. Like anything else it was drug out long enough that everyone forgot about it.

slothilopolis said:
GasBandit said:
Oh, I see. No, I wasn't trying to say this was INTENDED to give obama specifically this power, I was comparing the previous outrage with the current silence. That now it's ok with the media and the people.
Well, not everyone is OK with it. Like anything else it was drug out long enough that everyone forgot about it.
Like he said, its now ok with the "media and the people". ;)

Futureking said:
slothilopolis said:
GasBandit said:
Like he said, its now ok with the "media and the people". ;)
Yeah, but I don't think that really has anything to do with Obama becoming the president. It would have been the same either way, seeing how the Democrats were the ones to OK this from the beginning.

I

Iaculus

Hrm - the ISNA is one of the US's biggest Islamic organisations. Generally, 'big organisation' means relatively moderate, broadly-accepted political views, but a greater likelihood of having a few crazies along for the ride. I'd treat this story with caution - even if there are folks who are linked to Middle Eastern terrorist groups inside the ISNA, I'd doubt that that represents the driving goals of the organisation in the same way that the Democrats and Republicans may respectively contain eco-terrorists and abortion clinic bombers on their rosters, but neither side makes such extremist policies part of their generally-accepted objectives (and that's an understatement).

Iaculus said:
Hrm - the ISNA is one of the US's biggest Islamic organisations. Generally, 'big organisation' means relatively moderate, broadly-accepted political views, but a greater likelihood of having a few crazies along for the ride. I'd treat this story with caution - even if there are folks who are linked to Middle Eastern terrorist groups inside the ISNA, I'd doubt that that represents the driving goals of the organisation in the same way that the Democrats and Republicans may respectively contain eco-terrorists and abortion clinic bombers on their rosters, but neither side makes such extremist policies part of their generally-accepted objectives (and that's an understatement).
Thanks, that was what I assumed but wondered if this was something bigger than that.
Doesn't appear to be.

Futureking said:
Jake said:
Breaking news: The pope has "ties" to the Spanish Inquisition!
To be fair, no one expected the Spanish Inquisition.
Our greatest weapon is surprise, fear and surprise. Out two greatest weapons are fear, surprise, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. Our three greatest weapons are fear, surprise, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms. Our four greatest weapons are....

I

Iaculus

Covar said:
GasBandit said:
And many Americans are preparing for an inevitable let down .. considering the enormous expectations placed on his presidency.
don't worry, that feeling will fade once they drink the kool-aid like everyone else.
Aww, it's so cute when the ideologues start spouting about brainwashing. Is it so impossible to believe that out of over fifty per cent of the American electorate, some might have voted the way they did due to rational consideration of the options at hand?

Iaculus said:
Covar said:
GasBandit said:
And many Americans are preparing for an inevitable let down .. considering the enormous expectations placed on his presidency.
don't worry, that feeling will fade once they drink the kool-aid like everyone else.
Aww, it's so cute when the ideologues start spouting about brainwashing. Is it so impossible to believe that out of over fifty per cent of the American electorate, some might have voted the way they did due to rational consideration of the options at hand?
Actually I use the kool-aid reference because its nicer than saying those people writing news stories saying that whatever Obama says Today in his address will be etched in marble really need to get his cock out of their mouths.

J

JCM

Covar said:
Iaculus said:
Covar said:
GasBandit said:
Actually I use the kool-aid reference because its nicer than saying those people writing news stories saying that whatever Obama says Today in his address will be etched in marble really need to get his cock out of their mouths.
I can never understand why people complain so much over the media liking Obama, yes I joke about the exaggeration that appears on Fox (especially being an ex-orthodox Muslim and living in that area, its amazing how EVERY story about the East/Islam I can pick out at least 1 glaring mistake), but thts the political leaning of the owner of Fox.

USA's media is privately owned, heck, its one of the few countries where magazines and newspapers freely choose their candidate of liking and tell people why they should vote for him.

And seeing Obama's landslide win, if 70% of the population voted for him or are sympathetic to him, its obvious that probably 70% of the media outlets would be on his side and supporting him.

The opposite effect happened to Bush, with a small break during the few months after 7-11, but soon continuing when the Iraq invasion was put forward.

What we need, if I had the power to put forth a solution, isn't media control, but education. Explain to the masses that what the media outlets have a point of view,political sides and personal favorites, and sue any station that claims not to do so (yes, thats you CNN and Fox)

I

Iaculus

Covar said:
Iaculus said:
Covar said:
GasBandit said:
Aha, I see. Misinterpreted the 'everyone else' bit. Don't get along well with colossal generalisations, you see, particularly given the pan-Internet Fan Dumb that's been creeping out of the woodwork in the past couple of days.

And how is comparing Obama-worship to cult-sponsored mass suicide nicer than comparing it to fellatio? Less blunt, yes. Nicer, hell no.

J

JCM

*ugh* Just to get up-to-date on the Isreali invasion-

Israel, by the end of their offense, hit altogether 4 UN-run schools killing a few kids (the last killing 49), injuring many, going back on their claims that Hamas was there, and promises to the UN to not attack their buildings
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... JX7Yu7wdg-

Independent groups debunk Israeli war propaganda, love the bit UN explaining on the UN schools
http://www.alternet.org/audits/119374/
Did the Israelis misidentify a school run by the U.N. Relief Works Agency (UNWRA), where 43 Palestinians seeking shelter were killed in an early morning air strike? Or were there Hamas gunmen shooting from the school drawing Israeli fire? Neither assertion is accurate, says John Ging, UNRWA's director of operations in Gaza.
All U.N. schools in Gaza are clearly marked, and they fly the Organization's distinctly discernible blue-and-white flags. Moreover, he told reporters, Israel has been provided with Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates of all of UNRWA's installations in Gaza.
So there could not have been a misidentification of the U.N. school in the Jabaliya refugee camp whose compound was hit by an artillery shell early this week.
Asked if Hamas militants could have taken shelter in the school that was attacked, Ging said that UNRWA was "hugely sensitive" to maintaining the integrity of its facilities. "We vet all those who seek shelter in our facilities to make sure militants were not taking advantage of them," he said.
Isreal shells UN relief center
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/world ... xprod=digg

What does a dick do, when everyone knows he's a dick? If youe Israel, you recruit plants to post in anti-semite blogs (aka, anything condemning human rights abuses by Israel)
http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1056648.html

Anyway, a nice list of all the 101 resolutions on Isreal (anyone against Israel, vetoed by the US)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... ing_Israel
An older list
http://www.muslimedia.com/ARCHIVES/spec ... resolu.htm

EDIT: CNN say Isreal broke ceasefire 2 months before, and provides proof and sources. Good to see media outlets finally catching up to what I was saying in the Israel thread, Israel attacked first, and didn't lift the blockade as agreed. Maybe there's hope for the dumbfuck ignorance that the news there have on the Middle East.
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBiycEz1 ... ceasefire/

JCM, you left out the shooting of a UNWRA convoy laden with medicine and food, and the destruction of a hospital "because it was aiding terrorists".
I'm too lazy to look up English-language news sources for those two :-P

Iaculus said:
And how is comparing Obama-worship to cult-sponsored mass suicide nicer than comparing it to fellatio? Less blunt, yes. Nicer, hell no.
Its more polite. Not to the people I'm referring to, but to the people I'm talking to. No need to be super crass all the time.

J

JCM

OOOh! UN burns the Isreali envoy, pushing the same BS "the Palestinians started it", and points out that the Israelis attacked first
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOFXL62z ... re=related

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At least Cspan and CNN are smart enough to look back and see who attacked first, sadly BBC, Fox and CNBC are still saying that Hamas broke the cease-fire, even when their sites carry the Israeli execution of 6 Palestinian militants story.

I'll bet Gas has nothing to talk about today. As far as I know there's nothing going on in Washington.

Is there?

Edrondol said:
I'll bet Gas has nothing to talk about today. As far as I know there's nothing going on in Washington.

Is there?
Hehe, yeah, like I'm going to re-open that can of worms. We couldn't even have 3 pages the last time.

Krisken said:
Edrondol said:

Is there?
Hehe, yeah, like I'm going to re-open that can of worms. We couldn't even have 3 pages the last time.

On the bright side, this thread ought to be locked in three pages anyway, so we may as well.

Just wanted to say good luck and God bless to big "O". He's gonna need it. It's gonna be a a hard job and I hope he's as great as everyone says he is. We could use some greatness right about now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Edrondol said:

Is there?
Hah, don't count me out.

Well, this one made me raise an eyebrow. Obama: "Government can only do so much ... And if we're just waiting around for somebody else to do it for us, if we're waiting around for somebody else to clean up the vacant lot or waiting for somebody else to get involved in tutoring a child, if we're waiting for somebody else to do something, it never gets done." My hopeful side wants this to be an "only Nixon could go to China" situation... that Obama could (because of his Liberal alignment) reduce government and reinforce self-reliance without being lambasted as heartless, cruel and fascist. But I'm also not holding my breath. This speech was about getting people to volunteer... and I'm not sure he holds this same opinion about such matters as the economy, education, etc.

Yesterday President Bush decided to commute the sentences of the two Border Patrol agents who were convicted of shooting a Mexican drug dealer in 2005.

Apparently, y'know, the newest Senator, y'know, from New York will be, y'know, Caroline Kennedy (Schlossberg) after all. Americans, y'know, haven't lost their affection for, y'know, Royalty.

Joe Biden's wife let it slip that Obama gave Biden the choice of either vice president or secretary of state.

Remember when the Clinton's left the White House, they trashed the place and took over $200,000 worth of stuff. Well it seems that the Bushes are going to leave with a little more class. And who would expect that?

Here's what Obama's first day in office is going to look like. Iraq is going to be back in the spotlight.

A government school superintendent in Dayton, OH is warning students and staff against "inappropriate comments" today during the inauguration. Free speech is alive and well.

Bill Clinton says that we are not going to have partisan politics over the next 30 years of American history. Easy for him to say.

According to a recent Rasmussen poll, more Americans believe global warming to be caused by planetary trends rather than by human activity. Well, I guess even a blind pig finds a kernel of corn every once in a while.

Great Britain spent tens of millions of dollars on a computer to calculate how climate change will affect its country ... only to find that the machine itself has a huge carbon footprint.

Experts from the Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis say that Iran will have nuclear weapons this year.

The Seattle Post editorial board admits: "We can only imagine what we would have said had Geithner been a Bush appointee." Ahh .... Honesty! Too bad this paper won't exist in about six months.

Irish bookies are betting on what phrases Obama will use during his inauguration speech today.

ElJuski

Staff member
Covar said:
GasBandit said:
Apparently, y'know, the newest Senator, y'know, from New York will be, y'know, Caroline Kennedy (Schlossberg) after all. Americans, y'know, haven't lost their affection for, y'know, Royalty.
Thats not, y'know, fair. I, y'know, think she'll, y'know, be a great, y'know, patsy...err, y'know, Senator.
What's your hurry? Gotta throw some 'errs and aaaahs in there!

So just HOW bitter ARE all you republicans today? :zoid:

Status
Not open for further replies.