Gas Bandit's Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see the awesome daily show last night?
Loved the clips of Obama/Bush saying the same stuff. Nice to see Stewart not being afraid to take on bullshit no matter who it's from. He earned a point in my book last night.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I'm watching tonight's episode right now. Just saw the little montage of Fox News' supposedly obsessive coverage of Bush's departure with Stewart telling Fox to just "Let it go"

I laughed.

Espy said:
Nice to see Stewart not being afraid to take on bullshit no matter who it's from. He earned a point in my book last night.
I'm sorry, I thought he's always done that?

Anyone else happy that Caroline Kennedy withdrew her senate seat bid?

Espy said:
Loved the clips of Obama/Bush saying the same stuff. Nice to see Stewart not being afraid to take on bullshit no matter who it's from. He earned a point in my book last night.
Who did I have that argument with a while ago? Was it you? I honestly can't remember. I just remember someone was griping about how the Daily Show was kisssing Obama's ass and they would never criticize him. I was saying that no matter who's in office, they're going to make fun of him/her.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't you, was it? Bugger.

ElJuski

Staff member
A Troll said:
Espy said:
Who did I have that argument with a while ago? Was it you? I honestly can't remember. I just remember someone was griping about how the Daily Show was kisssing Obama's ass and they would never criticize him. I was saying that no matter who's in office, they're going to make fun of him/her.

Anyone got a link to that? I'd luuurv to hear it.

ElJuski said:
A Troll said:
Espy said:

Anyone got a link to that? I'd luuurv to hear it.
Got Hulu?

J

JCM

A Troll said:
Espy said:

Funnily, the only news shows that actually snipe at both sides without pity is Comedy Central´s Colbert Report and the Daily show.

Hopefully without a guy screwing up so much like Bush out of the spotlight, we can see more gaffes at the loewr levels as well.

J

JCM

GasBandit said:
Edrondol said:
In other news:

Obama - Fuck Yeah!

Summary of the article:

President Barack Obama's first public act in office Wednesday was to institute new limits on lobbyists in his White House and to freeze the salaries of high-paid aides.

Obama's new lobbying rules will not only ban aides from trying to influence the administration when they leave his staff. Those already hired will be banned from working on matters they have previously lobbied on, or to approach agencies that they once targeted.

In an attempt to deliver on pledges of a transparent government, Obama said he would change the way the federal government interprets the Freedom of Information Act. He said he was directing agencies that vet requests for information to err on the side of making information public — not to look for reasons to legally withhold it — an alteration to the traditional standard of evaluation.

Let me say it again:

Obama - Fuck Yeah!

Good start... how about a paycut for overpaid legislators? :p
I second that.
Edrondol said:
Iaculus said:
GasBandit said:
JCM said:
I thought that only dictators considered demonstrators as law-breakers, not as people exercising their right (and only which only is allowed in a democracy), but hey, let the pigs eat apples and look like men.
We're talking about LA here. So it's pretty certain they're already lawbreakers ;)

Seriously though.. if the riot squad is having to be called out for your "protest," chances are it's pretty much already a riot, isn't it?
See: Ed's Mardi Gras comment.
I'm looking for the study but am coming up unsuccessful. Googling riot gear and almost anything else just wants me to buy stuff or tell me about how it was used in an instance...
Funnily, googling up riot police almost gives me riot police there being used to break up peaceful demonstrations. Since when did USA become another Malaysia?

(Not that US should do like the French and let people wreck stuff, mind you, but in a democracy its one of people´s rights to protest, and Im rather active in that, its kinda dissapointing after 12 years of protests (and not a single riot) to see people unable to separate "people using their democratic rights" and "hooligans")

JCM said:
GasBandit said:
JCM said:
I thought that only dictators considered demonstrators as law-breakers, not as people exercising their right (and only which only is allowed in a democracy), but hey, let the pigs eat apples and look like men.
We're talking about LA here. So it's pretty certain they're already lawbreakers ;)

Seriously though.. if the riot squad is having to be called out for your "protest," chances are it's pretty much already a riot, isn't it?
Funnily, googling up riot police almost gives me riot police there being used to break up peaceful demonstrations. Since when did USA become another Malaysia?
Don't go there. USA is still utopia by Malaysian standards. I have two stories that happened recently. Very recently. Not to mention the many less recent cases.

Story 1

Let me just say this. Just two weeks ago, two public protest applications were filed to the police to protest against Israel. Standard procedure. The main difference is that one of them is filed by an UMNO member(government party) and the other is filed by an opposition member.

Due to red tape, protest forms don't get processed for a while. But the cops normally overlook this unless its something controversial so it normally passes.

Now, here's this. The protest applications filed by both sides were not technically valid yet. But the government party's anti-Israel protest went without problems.

And the opposition party's anti-Israel protest was broken up by the cops, citing the technical issue. When asked about the other protest, the cops answered, "We were given orders from above".

Story 2

Just a few days ago, the government lost a by-election. There were so many reasons for the government to win.

1) The area was huge but many of the youths have migrated to the capital for their jobs. It was held at such a most inconvenient period that many of the youths could not make it back home. That's great, considering the biggest supporters for the opposition are youths. :eyeroll:
2) They bought votes with a thousand dollars a person.
3) They sent the cops to disturb the opposition. In more ways than one. No kidding.
4) They sent their non-Islam subordinates to fling mud at the opposition's pro-Islam policies. Note that both parties are Islamic.
5) They openly threatened the minorities to vote for them and many succumbed to that threat.
6) And then there's a slight issue with phantom voters. But the electoral commission discloses nothing.

And they still lost. By 2000 votes, with 60000 voters.

In their anger, they cracked down on vigils held by opposition supporters. Vigils. Candles in Catholic churches. Not protests.

Z

zero

GasBandit said:
I'm absolutely fine with Obama wiretapping phones, I never say anything interesting on there anyway.
Ah, so you are fine with the Government freely snooping on its people without supervision from the judiciary???

You disappoint me Gas...

Status
Not open for further replies.