Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
The Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal from Black Lives Matters organizer DeRay Mckesson, leaving in place a lower court decision that effectively eliminated the right to organize a protest in the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. At issue is whether an organizer of a protest can be held liable for injuries caused by another protester. Mckesson was sued by a Baton Rouge police officer, who was hit in the head with an object during a protest in July 2016 by an unknown assailant. Mckesson did not throw the object, and the fact is uncontested. Nevertheless, the officer sued Mckesson anyway because he was “in charge of the protest” and was “seen and heard giving orders” to protesters throughout the event. While there were no dissents, Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote separately that the court’s refusal to hear the case “expresses no view about the merits of Mckesson’s claim.” Sotomayor, however, noted a First Amendment decision from the Supreme Court last year and said she expects the 5th Circuit to “give full and fair consideration to arguments” regarding that ruling’s impact in future proceedings in Mckesson’s case. (Vox / CNN / Daily Beast / USA Today / CBS News / NBC News)

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene embarrassed herself and wasted everyone’s time by repeatedly proposing absurd and juvenile amendments to the foreign aid package, including “space laser technology on the southern border,” requiring lawmakers voting for Ukraine aid to “conscript in the Ukrainian military,” redirecting Ukraine aid to deport undocumented migrants, prohibiting aid for Ukraine unless the country bans abortion, and offsetting the cost of aid to Ukraine with the salaries of lawmakers who support it. In response, Florida Democrat Jared Moskowitz proposed renaming Greene’s office in the House the “Neville Chamberlain Room” (the British prime minister known for his policy of “appeasement” toward Adolf Hitler), and naming Greene “Vladimir Putin’s Special Envoy to the United States Congress.”

figmentPez

Staff member
“I’m going to put the entire U.S. budget on blockchain so that any American — every American can look at every budget item in the entire budget anytime they want 24 hours a day,” Robert F. Kennedy Jr said Sunday during a rally in Michigan. (source)

Feels like the dead internet theory is getting closer to reality every moment.

As everyone knows, we just passed Hitler's birthday not long ago. Of course with some people he was now a misunderstood hero because they are fucking idiots, but what is really crazy is a lot of the popular racists / fascists who praise him now ran into an issue of their bot armies malfunctioning.

Turns out a lot of engagement bots just take a tweet, run it through chatgpt wanting a response, then autopost the reply. Issue is, chatgpt has filters to prevent it from talking about Hitler in a positive way, and so half the threads were some general default "Sorry but I am unable engage with the subject of Hitler in a positive way, let us discuss something else." Over and over again.

Utterly surreal.

I remember non-competes being a big deal during the Monday Night Wars in wrestling. Guys like Chris Jericho had to wait 90 days before they could work for WWE after being released from WCW. So there was often an eager countdown among fans when a talent could appear on the other show after their release.

I don't know if WWE even does non-compete clauses anymore. If they did, it certainly isn't a big deal anymore.

GasBandit

Staff member
45% of Americans say climate change is a very important issue, but only 10% of respondents have heard a lot about what the Biden administration has done to address it. If that sounds like you, then here’s a refresher: Biden rejoined the Paris climate agreement on his first day in office, signed the bipartisan infrastructure bill that allocated $550 billion to combat climate change, signed the Inflation Reduction Act that included nearly $370 billion into combating climate change, canceled all seven Trump-issued oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and prohibited oil drilling in 13 million acres in the federally owned National Petroleum Reserve, issued executive orders to conserve at least 30% of federal lands and ocean areas by 2030, and cut the federal government’s carbon emissions 65% by the end of the decade, and be carbon neutral by 2050. Trump, meanwhile, withdrew from the Paris agreement, rolled back environmental regulations, promoted fossil fuels, reduced the scope of national monuments, and dismissed climate change as a hoax, calling for “global warming” to “come back fast.” (CBS News)

I remember non-competes being a big deal during the Monday Night Wars in wrestling. Guys like Chris Jericho had to wait 90 days before they could work for WWE after being released from WCW. So there was often an eager countdown among fans when a talent could appear on the other show after their release.

I don't know if WWE even does non-compete clauses anymore. If they did, it certainly isn't a big deal anymore.
WWE's non-competes are more like we'll pay you for 90 days if after we technically fire you. You can go work elsewhere, you just lose those 90 days of pay. I remember Toni Storm being one of the few to actually say fuck it to the 90 days and just went and started working in Japan almost immediately.

45% of Americans say climate change is a very important issue, but only 10% of respondents have heard a lot about what the Biden administration has done to address it. If that sounds like you, then here’s a refresher: Biden rejoined the Paris climate agreement on his first day in office, signed the bipartisan infrastructure bill that allocated $550 billion to combat climate change, signed the Inflation Reduction Act that included nearly $370 billion into combating climate change, canceled all seven Trump-issued oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and prohibited oil drilling in 13 million acres in the federally owned National Petroleum Reserve, issued executive orders to conserve at least 30% of federal lands and ocean areas by 2030, and cut the federal government’s carbon emissions 65% by the end of the decade, and be carbon neutral by 2050. Trump, meanwhile, withdrew from the Paris agreement, rolled back environmental regulations, promoted fossil fuels, reduced the scope of national monuments, and dismissed climate change as a hoax, calling for “global warming” to “come back fast.” (CBS News)
... But he's old!

Don't forget that when one prominent wrestler got fired, a new wrestler suddenly appeared on the other show in a mask, prompting people to wonder who is that masked man?

Hulk-Hogans-Time-As-Mr-America-On-WWE-Smackdown-Explained.jpg

While number 25 is true, I do have to say that Covid might have had a little to do with that, too, and even the very best response to it would still not have helped on that front, probably.

Have never liked #2 I don’t believe that you can enthusiastically and unquestioningly support a genocide and be a good person.
Hell he’s doing it even though it very well might put his entire reelection at risk.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Arizona House repealed a Civil War-era ban on nearly all abortions – two weeks after the state’s Supreme Court upheld the 1864 law. Three state House Republicans joined Democrats in repealing the law that made abortion a felony punishable by two to five years in prison for anyone who performs one or helps a woman obtain one. The measure now heads to the state Senate and the Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs would need to sign it to reinstate a 2022 law, which permitted abortions through 15 weeks of pregnancy. (Washington Post / Associated Press / NBC News / Politico / Axios)