Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Actually, the unemployment rate when he took office was 7.8%. So it's now breaking even on that statistic, which is actually false anyway because it only takes into account those filing for unemployment benefits, and not those who have just given up and stopped looking. The actual rate is estimated somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12%.

And hey, GDP growth just got adjusted down to 1.3%, so everything's coming up roses, right?
Not everything, I never said that. I'm saying that things across the board are getting better. Many of the things that GoP was ragging on him for not accomplishing (especially economy wise) is finally showing the signs of progress he's been promising to come. What do the GoP say now? Omg it took you 4yrs? What a loser. Romney would do it faster.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not everything, I never said that. I'm saying that things across the board are getting better. Many of the things that GoP was ragging on him for not accomplishing (especially economy wise) is finally showing the signs of progress he's been promising to come. What do the GoP say now? Omg it took you 4yrs? What a loser. Romney would do it faster.
Actually, every single president who had to try has done it faster.

From "Obama's Re-election rests on 5 phony claims":

I was just trying to point out that there was some good news for once, and you two nitwits had to shit all over it.

:facepalm:

I'm no Romney fan but watching people yesterday go nuts about this stupid video was hilarious. Intelligent people I know where so damn quick to jump to some grand cheating conspiracy. This is the twitter generation people. No time for research or waiting for facts!

I'm no Romney fan but watching people yesterday go nuts about this stupid video was hilarious. Intelligent people I know where so damn quick to jump to some grand cheating conspiracy. This is the twitter generation people. No time for research or waiting for facts!
How is that any different than how people have ever been? People have been using mob mentality to hang people for thousands of years. The fact that's it's being used for a political debate is nothing.

How is that any different than how people have ever been? People have been using mob mentality to hang people for thousands of years. The fact that's it's being used for a political debate is nothing.
Oh well then I guess you are right, I didn't find it amusing to watch people go nuts on facebook yesterday posting that?:awesome:

But seriously, I really have no idea what your point is. You seem to think I'm making some grand statement on society when in reality I just think it's funny how social media has allowed us an outlet to scream something at each other and concoct inane ideas. I never said (and I didn't realize that I must) that people have concocted inane ideas in the past.

Oh well then I guess you are right, I didn't find it amusing to watch people go nuts on facebook yesterday posting that?:awesome:

But seriously, I really have no idea what your point is. You seem to think I'm making some grand statement on society when in reality I just think it's funny how social media has allowed us an outlet to scream something at each other and concoct inane ideas. I never said (and I didn't realize that I must) that people have concocted inane ideas in the past.
Oh. My bad.

*gets down from soapbox, sadly puts away torch and pitchfork*

GasBandit

Staff member
Actress Stacey Dash (She was in Clueless, with Alicia Silverstone and Brittany Murphy) tweets support for Romney. There goes her social life.[DOUBLEPOST=1349789718][/DOUBLEPOST]Gallup: Why the big drop in the unemployment rate should be discounted. Basically, it's possible to get any number you want out of unemployment calculations, so much so that it's practically ceased to be a valid metric.

[DOUBLEPOST=1349789921][/DOUBLEPOST]Obama’s re-election campaign has been knowingly and illegally soliciting foreigners for donations.

So if the calculations can't be considered accurate can we also claim that the huge increases that the GoP claims happened are false too?

GasBandit

Staff member
So if the calculations can't be considered accurate can we also claim that the huge increases that the GoP claims happened are false too?
Huge increases in what? Do you mean the 11% number bandied about in rebuttal? If so, no. That's a false equivalency - just because the way unemployment is currently calculated is incorrect doesn't mean that those saying it are also incorrect. Putting aside that that's not actually an "increase" as it's been higher all along, that number is based on the presumption of what the unemployment rate would be if the same number of people were in the workforce as in 2008... which actually should be higher still, with 4 more years of graduates entering it. Current calculations also count people with advanced degrees who are flipping burgers or delivering papers part time the same as people employed full time in their field of achievement.

Yeah, but I tend to pay more attention to fox news when it's critical of republicans, too.
It's all bias all over the place, as expected. On the whole though, we are better off than we were 4yrs ago, just not as well off as some would prefer. Definitely not getting worse for those who are over 250k a yr but not as better as they'd like.

I try and hear it from both sides, watching shows like Daily Show/Colbert for the humor side, watching CNN reports for informational sides and listening to Sean Hannity/Rush/Laura Ingram for the GoP side.