Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Come on, guys, we can all forgive him the completely understandable mental block on Eastwood's seniority. Nobody wants to think about Dirty Harry dying of old age.[DOUBLEPOST=1346880173][/DOUBLEPOST]I just want this article to be here and linkable, easy for me to find for the next time someone around here wants to know how the hell anybody could consider voting against Obama-

42. The number of months the national unemployment rate has been above 8 percent, a level the administration claimed would never be breached with the passage of Obama’s $830 billion stimulus bill.

44. The number of states that saw their jobless rates rise in July.

23 million. That’s how many Americans are out of work, hanging on with part-time jobs because they can’t get full time work or have given up hope and dropped out of the work force.

10.3 percent. It’s the unemployment rate for Hispanics. Maybe it’s what passes for immigration policy with the Obama administration. Job prospects are so bad, illegal immigration is ebbing. Too bad there’s so much collateral damage among native born Latinos and legal immigrants.

14.1 percent. The jobless number for African Americans is more evidence that trickle-down government doesn’t create jobs.

12.7 percent. Young adults, 18 to 29 years old, are especially hard hit by the Obama economy, as this unemployment rate demonstrates. These are the once-enthusiastic Obama supporters so eloquently characterized by Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan: “College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life.”

50. The percentage of the most recent college graduates unemployed or working at jobs below their educational credentials. Will they be tacking up Obama posters in their bedrooms in Mom and Dad’s house?

12.6 percent. That’s the jobless figure for 18-to-29-year-old women. These include many single women who are Obama supporters and the target of the Democrats’ bogus campaign that Republicans want to deny women access to contraception. A more cogent argument could be made that these are casualties of a “war on young women” that is the Obama economy.

3 million. That’s how many more Americans are out of work than four years ago, according to the Economist magazine. No wonder Obama surrogates on the Sunday morning talk shows mostly ducked the question of whether Americans are better off now than four years ago.

$2,544. That’s the drop in median household income since the recession ended in June of 2009. Look for Democrats to duck the question of whether Americans are better off since the recession ended.

58. It’s the percentage of jobs created during the Obama recovery that are lower-wage occupations, with median hourly wages of $7.69 to $13.83.[/quote]

None of that compares to the choice of the other side and most of it is due to the previous 8yrs. So yeah, that's just Republican rhetoric and ignoring of the facts that it was the result of what he inherited and there was no way to turn around that much damage in 8yrs.

How many of those years did he have Senate control too. I love how the Republicans shout about how he had the Senate in the beginning.

Oh I'm sorry he didn't turn around 8yrs of damage in less than half of his time in office.

4 Years, Gilgamesh. He couldn't turn around in 4 years what it took 8 to create.
When the Party leaders and stars in the Republican party vowed and planned to do everything they could to make sure Obama was a one term president from the moment he won the presidency, what do you expect him to do??

The president only has a few magical powers that he can summon without the approval of Congress.

Considering all the crap that's gone on in Congress by Republicans to obstruct ANYTHING that could be put in the win column for Obama, never mind that it would have been put in the WIN column for the country FIRST, what the hell, were you expecting?

*and please don't pull out he had 2 years of a filibuster proof majority myth*

I'm not happy with him, but I can realise the man was/is working with his hands tied. It would have been *would be* nice to see what a non*Koch funded*Tea Party and no-Citizens-United Congress could have gotten done.

No, I meant that Obama couldn't undo in 4 what it took 8 years under Bush to create. I guess I wrote it confusingly, but I was correcting Gilgamesh who made it seem like Obama has been in office 8 years, not 4.

No I was talking about the 8yrs prior to Obama.

Oh and I can say for one of the very few times in my life, I was cheering, clapping and yelling at my TV screen tonight during Clinton's speech. Not because I think he's the greatest political speaker of my time, but because of how he completely destroyed every attack the Republicans have lobbed at Obama and his record.

My adrenaline is pumpin.

GasBandit

Staff member
None of that compares to the choice of the other side and most of it is due to the previous 8yrs. So yeah, that's just Republican rhetoric and ignoring of the facts that it was the result of what he inherited and there was no way to turn around that much damage in 8yrs.
Inherited inschmerited. Democrats took just as active, if not more active, a role in creating the crash of 08. On multiple separate occasions GWB himself gave warning that Fannie and Freddie needed to be overhauled and re-examined, and each time democrats like Chris Dodd and especially Barney Frank shouted down any call for reform by saying that anyone who even thought about such things clearly just wanted minorities to freeze to death homeless in the cold. And then the answer (which, yes, republicans signed on with as well, the morons) was a Keynesian boondoggle that poured close to a trillion dollars down the rabbit hole of fictional congressional districts, fake or untenable alternative energy scams, and even political advertising on MSNBC while talking about mythical shovel-ready jobs. Furthermore, the democrats have not passed a budget, not even a budget! in the last 3 years. And let's not forget, that he "fixed" our medical insurance problems by making it illegal to be uninsured.

Yes, Bush increased our national debt a staggering amount. And Obama has increased it by 50%. Remember what I said in the other thread about Obama being "Bush Concentrate?" Heck, he even outdid him on the military front as well, immediately after accepting a nobel peace prize. All the leftists liked to portray Bush as ultraconservative, but the truth is he was way farther toward the middle than most actually liked. And he proved it with big government spending and an unprecedented increase in entitlement spending. How did Obama try to fix that? With more big government spending and and even more increases in entitlement spending! Except he's paying for some of it by swiping 700 billion from medicare, the very sort of act his opponents are accused of.

And 2 years of a filibuster-proof senate is more than the republicans ever had.[DOUBLEPOST=1346904756][/DOUBLEPOST]
No I was talking about the 8yrs prior to Obama.

Oh and I can say for one of the very few times in my life, I was cheering, clapping and yelling at my TV screen tonight during Clinton's speech. Not because I think he's the greatest political speaker of my time, but because of how he completely destroyed every attack the Republicans have lobbed at Obama and his record.

My adrenaline is pumpin.
What an easy animal you are to herd.

I'm an animal to herd he says as he continues to put his fingers in his ears. Gotcha.

It's going to be a celebration in this neighborhood in November. It's going to be fantastic. Obama's administration has affected me and my family and we're MUCH better off than we were 4yrs ago, with the way he's continuing and his policies, we're going to be even better off in 4 more. In a Romney administration, we'd be in massive trouble. Like I said, big celebration come November.

GasBandit

Staff member
No matter who wins in november, you shouldn't be celebrating. Every election of the 21st century has been another note in the funeral dirge of the Great American Experiment, and this one is no different.

On a lighter note...

Yeah, you continue on that mind set, I'll continue voting for the guy who helps my family, my friends and the people who need it. It might not be any different to you, it's been different for me and continues to be.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, you continue on that mind set, I'll continue voting for the guy who helps my family, my friends and the people who need it. It might not be any different to you, it's been different for me and continues to be.
I just hope the hollow ring of those words comfort you as the middle class evaporates and your family struggles to make ends meet when the bill comes due for the nation and no amount of rock star charm will stave off the inevitable collapse that will make 2008 look like a pothole. But hey, as long as you've got your bread and circuses to keep you happy, to hell with the future, right? Fiscal responsibility's for squares.

My family's finances are in a better place since he took office so you can spout rhetoric all you want, my life is actually affected by the last 4yrs in a positive way and the 4yrs that will come will only be positive under his administration.

Last count I heard, it was more like 13 weeks because Ted Kennedy was ill or something. Or that's the current spin at least.[

You make it really hard to tell whether you're pulling some Poe's Law level stuff but, it's not spin

It takes 60 votes to overcome a filibuster in the US Senate, which is now the default to get pretty much anything done. As Scarborough well knows, the Democrats didn’t reach that 60-seat threshold in the Senate until Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) was sworn in on July 7, 2009. They lost that majority upon the swearing-in of Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) on Feb. 4, 2010, just under seven months later. While state politician Christie can possibly be forgiven such an error, someone with Joe Scarborough’s reach and influence ought to have better than a 71% margin of error.
As Mother JonesKevin Drum points out, though, the actual amount of time the Democrats held a filibuster-proof majority, when you factor in the late Sen. Ted Kennedy‘s illness and the winter recess, amounts to 14 weeks.

and before Gas puts in Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, I counter with Lieberman and a bunch of blue dog democrats.
Per Gasbandit
And 2 years of a filibuster-proof senate is more than the republicans ever had.

You brought this bullcrap out again?

I just hope the hollow ring of those words comfort you as the middle class evaporates and your family struggles to make ends meet when the bill comes due for the nation and no amount of rock star charm will stave off the inevitable collapse that will make 2008 look like a pothole. But hey, as long as you've got your bread and circuses to keep you happy, to hell with the future, right? Fiscal responsibility's for squares.

You talk about fiscal responsibility as if it's the Democratic party that's guilty of promoting massive unwarranted tax cuts. Are you forgetting that Bill Clinton essentially had the debt issue resolved until W took office? Did you know that Romney's plan to solve the debt crisis is to cut 5 trillion in taxes? How exactly does that math work?

Silent Bob said:
Did you know that Romney's plan to solve the debt crisis is to cut 5 trillion in taxes? How exactly does that math work?
Of course that will work, how else do you think... oh, oh wait. You thought he meant the NATIONAL debt? Oh, no, that's fucked.

and the 4yrs that will come will only be positive under his administration.
Not to be rude but there is absolutely no way you can know this... at all. I mean, I admire your positive thinking but really things could be rosy, things could stay the same or things could degrade horribly.

GasBandit

Staff member
My family's finances are in a better place since he took office so you can spout rhetoric all you want, my life is actually affected by the last 4yrs in a positive way and the 4yrs that will come will only be positive under his administration.
I thought "screw you I got mine" was supposed to be a republican slogan?

(chicken little img)

You talk about fiscal responsibility as if it's the Democratic party that's guilty of promoting massive unwarranted tax cuts. Are you forgetting that Bill Clinton essentially had the debt issue resolved until W took office? Did you know that Romney's plan to solve the debt crisis is to cut 5 trillion in taxes? How exactly does that math work?
I forget not everybody here knows my 10+ year track record in these threads. You're not the first to call me chicken little, and you won't be the last. Now, I come down hard a lot on the democrats because there's not a lot of conservatism going on around here and I feel I have to personally make up the balance for about 5 people. But rest assured that while I do not think 4 more years of Barack Obama will be good for the country, I do not exactly salivate over the thought of a Romney administration either. The guy is a windsock. Ted Kennedy was right about one thing, when he was debating Romney over abortion, Kennedy said "I'm pro choice, he's multiple choice." Frankly I had hoped we'd seen the last of him after he lost in 2008, but the only worthwhile person in the R primary this time around (Cain) was clubbed to character-death by an overzealous media. Me? I'm a card carrying registered Libertarian. I'll be voting for Gary Johnson. Cutting taxes is nice and all, but the real issue here is how we need to cut spending and shrink government. Drastically. Democrats want to be in your wallet, Republicans want to be in your bedroom, I want government in neither.

So, in summary, I spend a lot of time bashing obama but I don't support romney either -it's just everybody else on the board seems to be handling bashing the latter on their own. Heck, they even made a dedicated thread for it.

Per Gasbandit
And 2 years of a filibuster-proof senate is more than the republicans ever had.

You brought this bullcrap out again?
And you forget my previous response. But it's not like it matters - the real reason for the paralysis during that term - as also previously explained - was democrats going off the reservation to try to save their own seats in the midterms. The republicans didn't even have to try to filibuster because the democrats deadlocked themselves.

I thought "screw you I got mine" was supposed to be a republican slogan?
You're purposely not trying to -get it- so I'll let you just keep going.

GasBandit said:
I forget not everybody here knows my 10+ year track record in these threads. You're not the first to call me chicken little, and you won't be the last.
So you've been saying the sky's falling for 10yrs and it's still there and you don't see a problem?

GasBandit

Staff member
You're purposely not trying to -get it- so I'll let you just keep going.

So you've been saying the sky's falling for 10yrs and it's still there and you don't see a problem?
That was 9.5 trillion dollars in national debt ago, and at the time I thought a 6 trillion debt was bad. But hey, I'm sure the ever accelerating deficits will just be disregarded for the rest of our lives at least, right?

IIRC, wasn't that the argument against Bush, in the first 7.5 years of prosperity, that it was all leftover from the "good" Clinton did? It's kind of the same argument both ways, no matter who's "in" at the time, as long as it flips back and forth. Hell, I've seen this argument in Canada for and against both Chretien and Harper at the least. It's a really old tactic that means jack IMO.

All this is proving IMO is one of the most reliable political tactics known: if economic times are good, it's good for the incumbent. If they're bad, God help the incumbent. That effect swamps almost everything else, regardless of who's "really" to blame.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's a good point. If today's economy is still Bush's fault, then Clinton's economy was GHWB and Reagan's fault.