Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Necronic

Staff member
Man I thought you guys were talking about Gun Kata. Which is also deadly. I think a Gun Katar Kata would be the ultimate in awesome.

The article is a year old (not a month) and Franklin is being mis-quoted:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
So... use as appropriate. The "essential liberty" phrase is pretty important, as is "temporary safety" as opposed to "little" both times. There's also some differing opinions on what that quote is regarding (not individual liberties) in any case.

That being said, I think that the quote of Obama is idiotic, as you're NEVER going to have 100% safety unless everybody else is DEAD. Or other similarly extreme measures. Even a Police State is not safe at all, it is just safe from random violence (somewhat) but the state itself is being "violent" (or violating, take your pick) toward you. But IMO the "trust the government with your safety" is a much worse bet than empowering individuals. Yes individuals do stupid shit too, but it's less frequent than "the Man" or whatever. They need to balance each other out IMO. Having Big Brother (and yes I've read the book, so I know what that ACTUALLY means) looking into everything you're doing always... it's one reason I will try not to buy a "Smart TV" with a camera. Those things ARE basically what was everywhere in that novel. Government should not have that power.

TLDR: Freedom doesn't require the world to be like Mad Max, neither does safety require the world to be like the one in Equilibrium.

I'm aware there's lots of immigration to the US.
I'm also very much aware that the US has literally received less Syrians since 2009 than Belgium. An immigrant wave that does not make.

I'm aware there's lots of immigration to the US.
I'm also very much aware that the US has literally received less Syrians since 2009 than Belgium. An immigrant wave that does not make.
They're not talking about Syrians, they're talking about people from Central American countries such as Mexico, El Salvador, etc. China is probably number two for us, and they have a lot of people who want to leave.

Also, what we receive willingly isn't the same as what we get illegally.

Last edited:
DC Appeals court kills Obamacare federal subsidies.
Obama: "You can't tell me what to do, court."
It won't matter in the long run. Even if the court finds that they can't do it as they are now, unless the states are willing to shoulder the burden and make it easily available to their residents (and some have made it clear that they won't because FUCK POOR PEOPLE) then the federal option will be the only way to fulfill the law whether it was the "intention" or not. Ether this law is going to obligate the states to do something their conservative governments don't want to do or it's going make it so that it's an entirely run federal show.

GasBandit

Staff member
Rick Perry does Obama's job for him, sends National Guard to the border.

It won't matter in the long run. Even if the court finds that they can't do it as they are now, unless the states are willing to shoulder the burden and make it easily available to their residents (and some have made it clear that they won't because FUCK POOR PEOPLE) then the federal option will be the only way to fulfill the law whether it was the "intention" or not. Ether this law is going to obligate the states to do something their conservative governments don't want to do or it's going make it so that it's an entirely run federal show.
Making it so will require congressional action, which might not go so well this time around. This wasn't a typo, the law specifically requires the subsidies to go through state exchanges (which many states refused to set up, or like poor Oregon, spent billions setting one up only to have it fail spectacularly). Even Obama's old Harvard law professor thinks this ruling might be what kills Obamacare.

Okay, I didn't realize so many kids were coming across the border recently. We get them often, but not usually in such large numbers. I feel bad for them. The gang situations in their countries have created a hell like none of us know in the U.S.

But our asylum laws don't protect them. In the end they're all go back, and will have the added brand of "coming from America" which will make them even more of targets, despite returning as poor as they left.

Necronic

Staff member
The ACA wording fight is a Hail Mary from the republicans. It's a technicality, albeit a gross and significant one, and clearly outside the intent of the law. I don't know how it will fair in the SCOTUS, it really could go either way, but if they lose in this one....I mean...how many times are we going to do this?

I'm actually more curious about your political system in that you can pass a law federally that compels your states to spend money. That alone is somewhat interesting, and bizarre. In other systems (Canada's) there is clear division of responsibility in that the feds can NOT make a law in something that's provincial responsibility. Likewise the other way around. Now the "weirdness" comes in that some are SHARED, but it's "supposed" to be agreed upon. If it's not, then nothing happens. There are 1000s of ways that exceptions to this are made (or deliberately circumvented) but that's the idea.

What about your system? It's odd to me that the feds can say "State X, we the feds say you must spend money, but we're not going to." Or is there something else here? I thought the feds WERE spending the money? What's the wrinkle? I haven't found a good source that doesn't analyze the implications of the ruling, but one that gives an actual analysis of the ruling itself.

Rick Perry does Obama's job for him, sends National Guard to the border.

Making it so will require congressional action, which might not go so well this time around. This wasn't a typo, the law specifically requires the subsidies to go through state exchanges (which many states refused to set up, or like poor Oregon, spent billions setting one up only to have it fail spectacularly). Even Obama's old Harvard law professor thinks this ruling might be what kills Obamacare.
Rick Perry is going to spend $12 million to have 1,000 people stand in the desert and stare at Mexico.

the federal government isn't forcing anything on the states, but effectively they are.
More like "heavily incentivizing." They can't order the States to comply, but the Fed can withhold other desirable programs if they don't, a sort of "no allowance if you don't clean your room" situation, only on a much larger scale.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Senator Joe Manchin wants to make corporations renouncing their US citizenship illegal.

Why is that, Senator? Is it because your own daughter just made you look like a goddamned fool? Not that you need any help in that department.

(an aside to GB and such: that D by their names is just a vestigial remnant of the old party machines.)
From the link at the bottom of that article, I just learned that Rep. John Dingell's twitter feed is hilarious.

"Staff has now informed me of what a Kardashian is. I'm only left with more questions."

Us, too, John. Us, too.