Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

And I quote

"The NIH is currently assessing the impact on funding due to sequestration," said Robert Bock, Press Officer for the NICHD. "It is not possible to say how this (or any other NIH grant) will be affected in the long term beyond the 90 percent funding levels already in place."
And assuming the stat of 75% obesity among lesbians is correct I think it's exactly the kind of study that should be funded.

And I quote

And assuming the stat of 75% obesity among lesbians is correct I think it's exactly the kind of study that should be funded.

Even with the current level of debt? I think there's better things we can spend our money on, or better yet, not spend our money on.

Even with the current level of debt? I think there's better things we can spend our money on, or better yet, not spend our money on.
Take the money out of oil and farm subsidies. Once we regain those billions I'll care about $1.5 million.

Besides we've already funded the NIH with that money. If the NIH believes that the money is best spent on this study that I agree wholeheartedly.

Take the money out of oil and farm subsidies. Once we regain those billions I'll care about $1.5 million.
As soon as people agree with the definition of the word "subsidy" that would be fine.

The economist definition is paying money from the government to a producer for a good. Completely made-up numbers: So if a farmer can sell sugar on the market for $3 per pound (totally made up numbers remember) but they also get $1 from the government for every pound they sell, then there's a subsidy. The government is giving money to a producer.

What is ALSO called a subsidy by activists is if Canada charges $50 a tree to cut it down on government land (and the forestry people keep the lumber, etc), and the USA charges $75 per tree, people have claimed that Canada is giving a $25 per tree subsidy. I wish I was making this one up, but this has ACTUALLY HAPPENED. This basic idea is the basis of a trade dispute between our two countries. So this is where a company is not paying "enough" to the government, thus the claim of the government "subsidizing" them.

See the difference between the two? The first is agreed by all to be a subsidy. The 2nd obviously is not the same thing, but is often lumped together because of the theory the government "could" have had the money. But it misses an important economic fact: the amount of production is not static in either case. With a subsidy, producers have an incentive to produce more than they would have, as their goods are more profitable, so the more activity in the sector, the more money the government loses because of increased production. But with a fee, the higher it is, the less production there is (each unit of production costs more). So they are clearly not equivalent.

Why did I say this? Farms almost always get subsidies. They're everywhere in the "developed" world (it's actually a major criticism from 3rd-world countries on how they can't compete on food crops, and are stuck with cash crops, which don't feed their people, but that's another story). Oil companies generally don't. Oh sure they exist, but if you take by percentage of produced energy, it's not the majority by a long shot. No matter how much an oil company pays to drill (or mine, or whatever) on land, SOME group SOMEWHERE will claim they're not paying enough, and they'll call that a subsidy. Thus the widespread (but wrong) belief that oil companies get all sorts of subsidies. They generally do not.

As soon as people agree with the definition of the word "subsidy" that would be fine.

The economist definition is paying money from the government to a producer for a good. Completely made-up numbers: So if a farmer can sell sugar on the market for $3 per pound (totally made up numbers remember) but they also get $1 from the government for every pound they sell, then there's a subsidy. The government is giving money to a producer.

What is ALSO called a subsidy by activists is if Canada charges $50 a tree to cut it down on government land (and the forestry people keep the lumber, etc), and the USA charges $75 per tree, people have claimed that Canada is giving a $25 per tree subsidy. I wish I was making this one up, but this has ACTUALLY HAPPENED. This basic idea is the basis of a trade dispute between our two countries. So this is where a company is not paying "enough" to the government, thus the claim of the government "subsidizing" them.

See the difference between the two? The first is agreed by all to be a subsidy. The 2nd obviously is not the same thing, but is often lumped together because of the theory the government "could" have had the money. But it misses an important economic fact: the amount of production is not static in either case. With a subsidy, producers have an incentive to produce more than they would have, as their goods are more profitable, so the more activity in the sector, the more money the government loses because of increased production. But with a fee, the higher it is, the less production there is (each unit of production costs more). So they are clearly not equivalent.

Why did I say this? Farms almost always get subsidies. They're everywhere in the "developed" world (it's actually a major criticism from 3rd-world countries on how they can't compete on food crops, and are stuck with cash crops, which don't feed their people, but that's another story). Oil companies generally don't. Oh sure they exist, but if you take by percentage of produced energy, it's not the majority by a long shot. No matter how much an oil company pays to drill (or mine, or whatever) on land, SOME group SOMEWHERE will claim they're not paying enough, and they'll call that a subsidy. Thus the widespread (but wrong) belief that oil companies get all sorts of subsidies. They generally do not.
So you are arguing that the tax breaks and tax write offs are not in fact a "subsidy"?

So you are arguing that the tax breaks and tax write offs are not in fact a "subsidy"?
They're not at all the same thing, hence my 4th paragraph showing the different economic effects of them. Lower taxes to remove barriers to production are not the same as giving people money to produce.

GasBandit

Staff member
They're not at all the same thing, hence my 4th paragraph showing the different economic effects of them. Lower taxes to remove barriers to production are not the same as giving people money to produce.
They are when your political perspective starts from the assumption that all money belongs to government and they decide by tax rates (or "breaks" for industries you don't like) how much they're going to allow companies and private citizens to keep.

I think my favorite thing about the GoP and Republicans in General is they're focus is going to continue to ruin them.

They still honestly believe they lost because America doesn't -Understand Conservatism- and they have to push, harder than ever, to get people to understand. The funny thing is though, regardless of what they think, the majority of people who voted against the GoP this time around weren't doing it because they're whiny hand-me-out government babies. Many of them are hard working conservatives financially speaking. It's alot simpler than that, and they just don't get it because they don't want to:

The Republican Party will continue to lose big elections because of it's Anti-Pro-Choice views, it's Anti-Gay Rights views, and it's hardcore Catholic/Christian stances.

That's what's really costing them the elections. People understand Conservatism just fine, and the majority of people on Welfare are there because they have to be, not because they want government hand outs. However, when given a choice between two people who promise the same thing financially, but are bigots/overly-religious/try to control what women do to their own bodies, they're going to lose every time. Most Republicans are at an age that they cannot understand the drastic shift in America's views. We're not the same nation we were 50yrs ago morally. We don't see things the same way anymore.

Anti-Gay is the new Anti-Black/Minority.
Pro-Choice is now the popular view vs Pro-Life
Atheism is on the rise and Catholism/Christianity is already looking for new ground in Africa to make up for all the lost ground elsewhere.

Gun Rights, financially independence, and alot of the other Conservative views are fine and actually embraced by most, unfortunately for the GoP, they are blind to what's going on. It's why they lost the Presidency and will continue to lose major elections till they get it right.

Don't really know where to put this, but I'm sure Gas will have an opinion:

Illegal Music Downloads Not Hurting Industry, According To Study
There might be some truth to the findings in the study. Though many would argue that Intellectual Property Rights as they currently stand are a bit of a mess, and that most of the music industry is comprised of a bunch of money-grubbing exploitative butt-holes, as the last couple of paragraphs in that article implied it is still neither right nor legal to go about pirating stuff.

I think my favorite thing about the GoP and Republicans in General is they're focus is going to continue to ruin them.

They still honestly believe they lost because America doesn't -Understand Conservatism- and they have to push, harder than ever, to get people to understand. The funny thing is though, regardless of what they think, the majority of people who voted against the GoP this time around weren't doing it because they're whiny hand-me-out government babies. Many of them are hard working conservatives financially speaking. It's alot simpler than that, and they just don't get it because they don't want to:

The Republican Party will continue to lose big elections because of it's Anti-Pro-Choice views, it's Anti-Gay Rights views, and it's hardcore Catholic/Christian stances.

That's what's really costing them the elections. People understand Conservatism just fine, and the majority of people on Welfare are there because they have to be, not because they want government hand outs. However, when given a choice between two people who promise the same thing financially, but are bigots/overly-religious/try to control what women do to their own bodies, they're going to lose every time. Most Republicans are at an age that they cannot understand the drastic shift in America's views. We're not the same nation we were 50yrs ago morally. We don't see things the same way anymore.

Anti-Gay is the new Anti-Black/Minority.
Pro-Choice is now the popular view vs Pro-Life
Atheism is on the rise and Catholism/Christianity is already looking for new ground in Africa to make up for all the lost ground elsewhere.

Gun Rights, financially independence, and alot of the other Conservative views are fine and actually embraced by most, unfortunately for the GoP, they are blind to what's going on. It's why they lost the Presidency and will continue to lose major elections till they get it right.
Gilgamesh, you seem like a guy who can explain yourself pretty clearly when you want to, so perhaps you could give a little more detail into your statements. Since your current post is full of commonly used political rhetoric, I'd like to get your views on specific statements.

Many of them are hard working conservatives financially speaking.
Do you mean that they have fiscally conservative views or are simply "hard workers"?

the majority of people on Welfare are there because they have to be, not because they want government hand outs
:

Not that I'm calling this statement into question exactly, but what are you basing this on? Furthermore, do you think the government has a hand in why they're in welfare in the first place?

However, when given a choice between two people who promise the same thing financially, but are bigots/overly-religious/try to control what women do to their own bodies, they're going to lose every time.
Are you positing that there is no real difference between Democrats and Republicans in regards to "financial promises"-only that one group has a shinier smile than the other?

Also:
but are bigots/overly-religious/try to control what women do to their own bodies
How would you classify a bigot? Is someone who is anti-religious a bigot? What do you consider to be overly-religious? What would someone who's "moderately" religious be? Would they still go to church weekly? Read *insert religious text here* on a regular basis?

Do you consider someone who believes that a fetus is a life and fights to protect that life to be someone of ignoble character? Do you believe the true intentions of so-called "anti-pro-choice" to specifically be about harming women's health?

Most Republicans are at an age that they cannot understand the drastic shift in America's views.
So what you're saying is, most Republicans are fairly old and therefore out of touch? What about young Republicans? Do you chalk it up to family influence?

We're not the same nation we were 50yrs ago morally
You view this as a net positive, correct?

Atheism is on the rise and Catholism/Christianity is already looking for new ground in Africa to make up for all the lost ground elsewhere
I'm not sure what it is, but something about this statement just strikes me as wrong.

Do you mean that they have fiscally conservative views or are simply "hard workers"?
The GoP paints all liberals/democrats/most of the public as lazy, government mooching babies. I'm saying that many of them are hard working financially smart folk.

Not that I'm calling this statement into question exactly, but what are you basing this on? Furthermore, do you think the government has a hand in why they're in welfare in the first place?
Basing it on the factual numbers that were released (I'll try and find a link a bit later) that shows that large majorities of Welfare recipients are the elderly, disabled and military. Many are active in seeking jobs and do not stay on Welfare long.

Are you positing that there is no real difference between Democrats and Republicans in regards to "financial promises"-only that one group has a shinier smile than the other?
No, I'm saying that the majority of people in today's world, would choose the opposite of what the GoP thinks is good for America (Pro-Life/Anti-Gay) if both choices were offering the same financial choices. The GoP thinks that given the same financial choices, that the majority of Americans would vote for Pro-Life/Anti-Gay.

How would you classify a bigot? Is someone who is anti-religious a bigot? What do you consider to be overly-religious? What would someone who's "moderately" religious be? Would they still go to church weekly? Read *insert religious text here* on a regular basis?
It's simple: Bigot = Someone who would deny equal rights to someonelse based on Gender/Sexual Preference/Race
Overly-Religious = Someone who speaks the Bible as infallible and when confronted with factual evidence that disproves it, will deny it vehmently. Or when there's a double standard that they have no trouble standing on ie: Fetus should have the rights of all living humans. Unless it's gay.

Do you consider someone who believes that a fetus is a life and fights to protect that life to be someone of ignoble character? Do you believe the true intentions of so-called "anti-pro-choice" to specifically be about harming women's health?
I think Pro-Life is a fine opinion to have, as long as you don't force it on those who's choice it really is: the pregnant woman.

So what you're saying is, most Republicans are fairly old and therefore out of touch? What about young Republicans? Do you chalk it up to family influence?
I chalk it up to having to play the part or they'll be booted out of the Republican Party (as has happened many times) or just simply being out of touch with anything out of their comfort zone. A comfort zone surrounded by these old outdated ideals.

You view this as a net positive, correct?
Absolutely. Morally we are no longer opposed to interracial couples. Morally we are opposed to gender/racial inequality and every day that passes we are majority morally opposed to Anti-Gay hatred.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about this statement just strikes me as wrong.
Probably because you are religious? If not, then I can't explain it. Atheism is the path to fact only. Religion is the path of fact or because God makes magic.

Atheism is the path to fact only.
Bullshit. Atheism as you put it can never give a value judgement. Belief is always there foundationally.

How can Atheism say killing somebody is bad? You can say you don't want it to happen to you, but even hypocrisy can be justified, because you don't need to justify anything. Things like fairness, and quid-pro-quo are all just values we have in us, that we then apply to everything else. In the end, there's still an irrational belief at the foundation of your personal concept of what is "just" or not, even in Atheism. You can try and prove that it's "rational only" but even proving that it allows more people to live, more happiness, or anything else, showing that those are "good" is still a belief. If someone believed the "best" thing was for them to be the only one left on earth (or everybody gone) that's as valid to "fact only" philosophies as somebody else believing that we should all run around fields holding hands all day long. You always need a base assertion of "this thing is what I consider 'good'" to go from there, and base the rest of your values on. And that belief is always irrational.

Herbert said it best IMO: "Scientists seek the lawfulness of events. It is the task of Religion to fit man into this lawfulness." (from Dune)

Bullshit. Atheism as you put it can never give a value judgement. Belief is always there foundationally.

How can Atheism say killing somebody is bad? You can say you don't want it to happen to you, but even hypocrisy can be justified, because you don't need to justify anything. Things like fairness, and quid-pro-quo are all just values we have in us, that we then apply to everything else. In the end, there's still an irrational belief at the foundation of your personal concept of what is "just" or not, even in Atheism. You can try and prove that it's "rational only" but even proving that it allows more people to live, more happiness, or anything else, showing that those are "good" is still a belief. If someone believed the "best" thing was for them to be the only one left on earth (or everybody gone) that's as valid to "fact only" philosophies as somebody else believing that we should all run around fields holding hands all day long. You always need a base assertion of "this thing is what I consider 'good'" to go from there, and base the rest of your values on. And that belief is always irrational.

Herbert said it best IMO: "Scientists seek the lawfulness of events. It is the task of Religion to fit man into this lawfulness." (from Dune)
Sorry, I've just never heard an atheist say that his non-existent god wants him to mistreat any group of people the way Catholics used to mistreat Blacks and now mistreat Gays. With Atheism, it's up to the person. Maybe the person is a racist, but at least they don't blame it on a -higher power-

Just in case I have to make this disclaimer at some point:
I realize not ALL religious people are like this or ALL Republicans are like this. I'm very obviously directing these comments at the ones that are. Sadly, as usual, the negative ones I'm addressing are the most vocal and currently most popular in the media.

GasBandit

Staff member
Americans largely don't understand conservatism. They hear "conservative" and think of the GoP, which is not actually conservative. I know a lot of people have signatures turned off, so I'll repeat a quote from mine in the body:

"All politically potent parties believe in a powerful, pervasively engaged state. They differ only in regard to which specific individuals should steer the Leviathan." - Robert Higgs

IE, the only thing that really, pragmatically separates republicans from democrats is they think republicans should be in charge. They want government to be as much in your face and in control of your life almost as much as any communist, just for technically different reasons. Mark my words - even if republicans ever get back power, the government, the budget, neither will shrink. It never does. Even the sequester that garnered so much howling and rending of garments - didn't actually reduce spending levels, it simply made the increase smaller. And everybody lost their fucking mind over it.

Anyway, yeah, piracy. Piracy isn't damaging the music industry, I agree. The music industry is doing so much damage to itself it's impossible to quantify any other source of damage because it is dwarfed in comparison to that wrought by a stone-age business model and all the ill will generated by suing all their customers and their grandmas, and being awarded penalty sums larger than you'd get for most violent crimes.

At least your Republicans don't call themselves Conservatives like ours do. Our Conservative party has racked up the biggest deficit in Canadian history.

She just took it at surface value. Same with Daphne from Dragon's Lair, not at all looking at the fact that her and Dirk are both spoofs of the typical knight/princess thing.

I would argue that Bayonetta is far more progressive and pro-feminist than most games.
Bayonetta is confident and capable. She's older than most female protagonists in gaming (she looks about 30, most are 20 or in their teens) and while she is obviously oversexualized, it is as a parody that is played very tongue in cheek.

So yeah, I'd agree.

I am not a fan of how shallow her work is, especially for someone with hundreds of thousands of dollars to work with (you could get a team of actual researchers with that kind of scratch) but that video was pretty shit too.

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys do realize that the parts where "* POP CULTURE CRTICIC MODE ENGAGED" was blinking at the bottom was to illustrate absurd conclusions derived from overanalysis, yes?

Zappit

Staff member
Boy, that was an extraordinarily condescending rebuttal video. Despite it spoofing steroetypes, it latches on to one of the most common assaults on feminism: the turnabout to emphasize how bad men have it. By making it a central point of his argument, (being that anyone can find any pattern they want in anything) he seems to invalidate his own points by reducing it to a big sarcastic bit that goes on way too long. His Double Dragon Neon example was a quick bit at the end of the game that only appeared in the new version, and not in any version that's appeared in the last two decades.

Claiming that the developers make games to make profits doesn't disprove Sarkeesian. At all.if anything, it's reinforcing that developers rely on the same hackneyed stories and goals, which was kind of the point of the Tropes video.

Sarkeesian makes a lot of fair points - some seemed a bit of a stretch - but the basic ideas of doing different stories, having respectable female characters, and avoiding the hypersexualization of women in videogames are completely valid. You can't make a fun videogame like that? Come on. Making such an argument is not deserving of the ridicule and dismissive sarcasm she gets. The attitude alone ruins this particular counter argument.

He also loses major points just for using the word "strawman". That's like the new argument buzzword that everybody uses to dismiss someone else's perspective - usually in a condescending manner. Those who use it in arguments also have a nasty habit of being full of crap. So there's that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it would have been a great victory for feminism if Billy and Jimmy HAD just shrugged and gone back into the garage, saying, "she's not an object, she's a capable woman who can overcome her own obstacles in life and I won't cheapen her struggle by engaging in base violence."

GOP lawmaker calls Hispanic workers ‘wetbacks’

By Chris Moody, Yahoo! News

During a discussion about ongoing challenges to the economy Thursday, Alaska Republican Rep. Don Young referred to Hispanic workers as "wetbacks," an ethnic slur used to describe migrant workers.

“My father had a ranch; we used to have 50-60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes,” Young told Alaska public radio station KRBD. “It takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It’s all done by machine.”

The term "wetback" is a pejorative term that has been used to describe workers from Latin American countries who swim across the Rio Grande to reach the United States.

Young's comments come just weeks after the Republican National Committee called for candidates and lawmakers to soften their tone when discussing Hispanic Americans and immigrants in an effort to engage Latino voters after getting only 30 percent of their vote in the 2012 presidential election. Republicans are currently working with Democrats in Congress to shape a comprehensive overhaul of the nation's immigration system, and comments like Young's could serve as a distraction from those bipartisan efforts.

In a statement to the Anchorage Daily News, Young said he meant "no disrespect" when he used the term.

"I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," Young said in the statement. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."

House Speaker John Boehner condemned Young's comments Friday morning and demanded that he apologize.

"Congressman Young’s remarks were offensive and beneath the dignity of the office he holds," Boehner said in a written statement. "I don’t care why he said it – there’s no excuse and it warrants an immediate apology.”

"I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," Young said in the statement. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."
Holy crap... the term is used in the same way it has always been used, it has not changed at all.