Funny (political, religious) pictures

...dear Lord, is he serious? That's moronic.
A lot of these people genuinely believe that only poor people get sick, suffer, and die, and that if a rich person gets sick/suffers/dies then that means he must've been secretly flawed in some way.

--Patrick

...dear Lord, is he serious? That's moronic.
A lot of these people genuinely believe that only poor people get sick, suffer, and die, and that if a rich person gets sick/suffers/dies then that means he must've been secretly flawed in some way.
I think it's much simpler than either explanation: he doesn't believe that if somebody has an issue, that somebody else should be forced to help pay for it (taxes). Taxation should be for obviously collective good only (justice, defense, few other things) and nothing more. The indirect effects of people with bad health don't fall within the purview of the state in his opinion. Everything else should only be by charity, as that's voluntary. He divides what he cares about into things the government should do (few) with things that individuals and/or charities should do (many more).

He's really really libertarian.

I don't go that far, but it's not hard for me to understand either.

I think it's much simpler than either explanation: he doesn't believe that if somebody has an issue, that somebody else should be forced to help pay for it (taxes). Taxation should be for obviously collective good only (justice, defense, few other things) and nothing more. The indirect effects of people with bad health don't fall within the purview of the state in his opinion. Everything else should only be by charity, as that's voluntary. He divides what he cares about into things the government should do (few) with things that individuals and/or charities should do (many more).

I don't go that far, but it's not hard for me to understand either.
All of that is fine, but his analogy is just plain stupid. Even to him it should be obvious that you go to the store to check out fancy furniture, that you can't afford it, yet you're forced to buy it anyway and pay the full price, yet you don't get any of the benefit.
Thinking illness happens because you go to the doctor is as stupid as thinking pregnancy can only happen if the woman wants it.

All of that is fine, but his analogy is just plain stupid. Even to him it should be obvious that you go to the store to check out fancy furniture, that you can't afford it, yet you're forced to buy it anyway and pay the full price, yet you don't get any of the benefit.
Thinking illness happens because you go to the doctor is as stupid as thinking pregnancy can only happen if the woman wants it.
He scored a zinger off Bernie, and that's all his people will see.

(Also, I suddenly realize I should be doing my schtick on Twitter. I'd be a god!)

Oh I agree with that. Pretty stupid tweet to respond to, or if you're going to, the way he did is bad.

Sadly, Eriol's post proves how little that matters, since people will still take it seriously enough to think it represents any actual philosophy beyond just "i got mine, fuck you"!

things that individuals and/or charities should do (many more).

Except that his tweet argues that the people who can't afford treatment should not get it, since, you know, there's no mention of people voluntarily giving them money to buy a "fancy" couch.

Also, isn't the actual non-sociopath libertarian position that healthcare costs would go down under the absolute free market (even though one would likely make more money selling a cure to a swiftly deadly disease to 10 billionaires instead of thousands of poor people, but let's put that aside for a second)?

Remember when someone at the BBC slightly challenged his position and he exploded like a whining baby about being more popular than the guy?

DEBATE ME!

Ok.

DON'T ACTUALLY DEBATE ME!

I don't understand.

I'M MORE POPULAR THAN YOU!

Remember when someone at the BBC slightly challenged his position and he exploded like a whining baby about being more popular than the guy?

DEBATE ME!

Ok.

DON'T ACTUALLY DEBATE ME!

I don't understand.

I'M MORE POPULAR THAN YOU!
He also claimed the guy had a liberal bias, whereas the reporter himself has a very conservative view but was doing his job of debating the issue

It's shit like this that reminds me that all these pundits are just asshole actors taking advantage of a certain mindset for ratings and money.

Yeah, I was just going to post this picture here. This is without ANY alteration. This is something Tucker Carlson did.

Nothing more tyrannical than a by 10 system. You know what I'd prefer, to know how many feet in a furlong there so I know exactly how far I have to haul my stones of cargo, that I have measured down to the nearest drachm. Scientists use metric, that's why I know they're all Jews and liars.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I find it all rather harmless. I'm part of the medical field so I have to work in millimeters down to microns in what I do and the metric system works perfectly, and if you work in a scientific or engineering field, you are almost certainly going to be working in metric. However, I always viewed the regular Joe's resistance to the metric system as a cultural thing more than anything else. If you grew up with the Imperial system, metric is never going to "feel" right. Heck, that's even somewhat true for me, and I spent a good chunk of years in a country that uses metric. 80kph doesn't mean anything to me, but I "know" what going 50 mph is like. I know exactly how far 10 feet is. I can easily guess how much is in a tablespoon or 1/2 a cup or what 40 lbs would feel like to lift. I also know what 2mm down from the incisal edge looks like too, but it's my profession. I could not give a flying rat's ass if someone wants to use feet over meters as long as it isn't an integral part of their profession--no more than I cared when I had some friends in China that absolutely insisted on using the lunar calendar for everything.

I don't have a problem with using the imperial system for everyday life. I'm just not dumb enough to think the metric system is a tool of elitist imperialism or whatever.

I use imperial every day, I have no issue with imperial. It's the weird notion that metric is yet again some weirdo conspiracy is what burns my brain.

First I was going to say Fox Noise violently excised any remaining journalistic ethics and common decency on your first day.

Then I realized no one who would willingly work there has a drop of either left.

Ehh, of course, like Pat says, all measurement systems are made up. But might as well make up something that's easy to grasp and simplifies math and counting. 1 liter = 1 kilo and 1km = 1000m is just more practical than 1 Freedom eagle = 7.3 school shootings and 1 oil well = 1392.54 hamburgers.
:awesome:

Imperial has the advantage of fractions. Yes it may make some things more difficult (multiply/divide) but you can actually divide TWICE without going into fractions, whereas metric... no. Metric just lines up with our number system. In other number systems, other systems of measurement kind of win.

Remember: base 10 actually kinda sucks. We only really use it because we have 10 fingers. 8, 12, 16, or 60 are MUCH better mathematically (especially 60). Thank the Sumerians for our clock being so nicely divisible. Read the link, it's cool about the counting on one hand to 12.

This is all aside from the insanity of Carlson above.

Re: measurement and counting, we're all born logarithmic and have to fool ourselves into thinking linearly, which makes sense. From a survival standpoint, the ability to quickly determine the right order of magnitude is more important than wasting time figuring out how to derive the exact total.

--Patrick