Funny (political, religious) pictures

GasBandit

Staff member
I get that those are minesweeper graphics, but I don't get what the joke is :( I've thought of 4-5 puns for that picture, but none of them are funny enough to merit making the picture, hence I thought I am/was missing the better joke.
No, it's the standard "muslim suicide bomber" joke.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Serbian minister for foreign affairs doesn't speak english, so his speech was written for him phonetically.

That all capitals part in the middle (PAZI, SAD JE ZAJEBANO) almost literally translates to "WATCH OUT, THIS PART IS KINDA FUCKED UP"

The Serbian minister for foreign affairs doesn't speak english, so his speech was written for him phonetically.

That all capitals part in the middle (PAZI, SAD JE ZAJEBANO) almost literally translates to "WATCH OUT, THIS PART IS KINDA FUCKED UP"
Infinitely preferable to them trying to read an actual English document, in most cases :D

GasBandit

Staff member
The potential ideas were as follows:
  • Muslims are ter'rists
  • There's literal explosives up their bums
  • Something to do with color-coding (notice that the 1's are all in white)
  • A gay joke, because swiggity swooty
Those aren't puns. A Pun is when you substitute a word for another that sounds like it, or use a word with two meanings in a way that implies the other meaning.

As in, praying in the mosque is what RUGged men do!

Last edited:
Well, let's try that,
The potential ideas were as follows:
  • Muslims are ter'rists
  • There's literal explosives up their bums
  • Something to do with color-coding (notice that the 1's are all in white)
  • A gay joke, because swiggity swooty
So you could say that they're . . . AssBandits?:csi:

Those aren't puns. A Pun is when you substitute a word for another that sounds like it, or use a word with two meanings in a way that implies the other meaning.

As in, praying in the mosque is what RUGged men do!
Yeah, pun was the wrong word to use, I recall not wanting to use 'joke' at the time, and I didn't remember one that would fit better ('gag' or 'wisecrack' maybe?).

Well, except Ben. He just had the ladies
Benjamin Franklin was an acting president of America's first Abolitionist group, the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery and the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage. However, he didn't start doing this stuff until the end of his life. Before that, he directly profited off of slavery by selling ad space to slave sellers in his newspapers, as well as printed runaway-slave notices. He also owned slaves as a younger man (though he apparently treated them well and never bothered to go after runners) but got rid of them when the opportunity arose.

So yes, Benjamin Franklin owned slaves for awhile, but he was also an abolitionist. *shrug*

There's no denying ol' Benny had a thing for the ladies. And by a thing, we mean his dick, and by "the ladies" we mean pretty much every woman in the colonies, France, and parts of England had at least a passing acquaintance with it. When he returned to North America, he was suffering from every known STD at the same time.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
@LordRendar that's Ahmed the clock kid, the subject of a recent controversy here in the US. He took apart a clock, then put the innards in a folding case so it looked like this when he brought it to school:

The school called the cops, there are pictures all over social media of the kid in cuffs, apparently police questioned him without the knowledge or presence of his parents (which is a kinda big no-no here), and now opinion is divided as to whether he's an innocent budding genius being persecuted for his faith/skin color, or a troublemaker/human political grenade who either knew what he was doing or was put up to it by somebody to stir the hornet's nest.

I took electronics apart when I was kid. I don't think that's genius level. What exactly did he do that was so impressive? Maybe he should have been arrested for wasting everyone's time.

I took electronics apart when I was kid. I don't think that's genius level. What exactly did he do that was so impressive? Maybe he should have been arrested for wasting everyone's time.
Obviously, he could be just a curious kid that has been unfairly persecuted blah blah, and that falls clearly in one of those two camps. But it's not an extreme enough narrative to fit the 24h news cycle, the internet, etc. (Also, the first accounts said that he had built the clock, which spawned both the 'budding' genius idea and, later, the idea that some things in the story did not fit and the situation may have been sought by him and/or others)

GasBandit

Staff member
Early reports were that he designed and built the clock himself, before pictures of the actual clock began getting circulated. All there was to go on were pictures of him looking confused in handcuffs and a story narrative that said "THIS KID MADE A CLOCK AND TEXAS ARRESTED HIM FOR IT WHEN HE BROUGHT IT TO SCHOOL OMG RACISM" and even President Obama ended up inviting him to the white house to show him his clock... and then the pictures of the clock started surfacing, and even left wing commentary sources started poking holes in the persecution narrative, and then this hit the net and suddenly the whole story went away:

People then realized he didn't "make" a clock, he took one apart and put it in a case that, after all, really does look kinda like a bomb prop in a movie. And he showed it to his science teacher who said "that's neat but don't show it to anybody else, keep it put away until you get home" and then "somehow" the clock's alarm goes off in his english class, the english teacher sees the wires and LEDs and time readout as pictured and gets the school administration involved, who calls the cops, and the rest is history. The controversy's pretty much completely blown over, now.

As Tegid said, the 24 hour news cycle is largely to blame, as taking a day or two to get all the facts would have altered the narrative to be more accurate, and a tempest in a teapot could have been avoided.

I mean, schools call the cops if a kid brings an airsoft gun to school, too... and really, you could make an argument that this thing was supposed to look like a movie time bomb, even if us folks safe here on the other side of varying hundreds of miles of internet can take a measured look at the picture and know it's not really a bomb at all.

I mean, schools call the cops if a kid brings an airsoft gun to school, too... and really, you could make an argument that this thing was supposed to look like a movie time bomb, even if us folks safe here on the other side of varying hundreds of miles of internet can take a measured look at the picture and know it's not really a bomb at all.
None of which really excuses the parade of shame performed by the school though, as it's clear from the moment anyone looked at it that they KNEW it wasn't a bomb, as they didn't even try to evacuate the school or wait for the bomb squad before moving the thing... but they still made an example out of him in the worst/dumbest possible way, essentially for kicks. As dumb as the kid was for building it and trying to show it off, the school and the police really showed how incredibly petty they were at the same time.

Public officials are SUPPOSED to be able to show some measure of intelligence and discretion in their work but it really feels like that's impossible for them these days.

GasBandit

Staff member
Public officials are SUPPOSED to be able to show some measure of intelligence and discretion in their work but it really feels like that's impossible for them these days.
That's not how zero tolerance school policies work, though, unfortunately. In order to not get sued, they institute overbearing policies that react way too harshly to every situation and leave no room for interpretation or administrative discretion. After all, if you can't make a judgement call, you can't be sued for following policy.

I'm not saying that's good, it's just how it is, and has been for quite a while. Remember, kids get sent home/suspended for making gun shapes with their fingers these days. And clearly any teacher who looks at that KNOWS it's not a gun.

There was a perfectly good pun up there, but no one noticed. If you pun in a thread and no one notices, does it make a laugh? No - just bitter tears.