Funny (political, religious) pictures

figmentPez

Staff member
My assumption is that it was deliberately designed this way so as to prevent the recipient from subsisting solely on high-margin, low nutrient value convenience food.
I disagree. I think it's mainly a move to appease moralizing voters who don't want their taxes being misused. The type of people who will say, "I work hard to cook food and put a meal on the table for my family. Why should my tax money go to paying for lazy people to go out to eat?" The type of vocal asshole who thinks that people only need food stamps because they don't know how to budget their money, and that the poor shouldn't be able to eat anything more than rice and beans until they've earned it.

It is an arbitrary distinction between cold and hot food, but as I pointed out the exact same program compensates for this by also providing for hot food and other necessities with a separate balance.
The fact that it does just speaks to even them ppl in charge of the program realising how silly it is, but instead of just fixing it they opted to jury-rig something on top of it instead, likely because they're still beholden to the idea of not making it too easy on the poors.

My assumption is that it was deliberately designed this way so as to prevent the recipient from subsisting solely on high-margin, low nutrient value convenience food.
Which could better be done in plenty of other ways.

Plus, it's also easily circumventable by just buying the product frozen and heating it yourself, so other ways would be more efficient anyway.

Well, the nearest system I can compare it to is the Belgian food stamps - these aren't part of poverty aid, they're a part of wages - a compensation for the meals you eat at work or on the road.
Yeah, we had that too, until someone finally realised paying a 3rd party to handle all the extra paper/card manufacturing etc is just wasteful and now they just give us the money straight up (as in where i work, separate food stamps/cards are still around, it depends on your employer).

it's also easily circumventable by just buying the product frozen and heating it yourself, so other ways would be more efficient anyway.
I'm convinced that the partial cash balance @Ravenpoe talked about was added because even back in the 90's, I remember people who had food-only benefits buying 12pks of cola, dumping the cola in the parking lot, and then returning the empty cans for deposit. An incredibly inefficient conversion rate, but at the time one of the few "legal" ways to turn food coupons directly into cash.

--Patrick

Given that soda prices probably have gone up since then, but deposit prices haven't, it was probably somewhat more efficient than it would be now. Especially since I'm assuming you were still in Michigan

Given that soda prices probably have gone up since then, but deposit prices haven't, it was probably somewhat more efficient than it would be now. Especially since I'm assuming you were still in Michigan
You are correct that I am in MI, but at the time I observed this behavior, I was living and working in Manhattan.

--Patrick

Is it significant that Drudge is stabbing himself with a sword that looks like it came out of 8th century Poland/Hungary/Slovakia?
Also that it says "hard Left tilt" but he's stabbing through his right side?

...or is Tina just not very good at any kind of geography?

--Patrick