Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Dave

Staff member

NO THERE'S NOT!

Even "artisan" grilled cheese is nothing more than bread, cheese, & oil. It all tastes exactly the same and charging anything more than a buck is robbery.

GasBandit

Staff member
The place where I had lunch today wanted FOUR dollars for a grilled cheese. Pfeh.

I just got a side of green beans for $2.15 and ate that.

fade

Staff member
Yes, but 1 and 3 also completely ignore the whole point of the post: We know the crust on American bread is shitty. And we know our kids won't eat it. But we paid for it, and as dads, we don't like to waste money. So we eat the crusts, so that they don't have to.
I never quite understood this idea. I've been to various parts of Europe. Wheat tastes (shockingly) like wheat. Grinding it up and mixing it with a tiny percentage of other ingredients tastes pretty similar. I mean, yeah, most of the bread I had in Europe had a tooth-shattering actual crust on it, but I don't really see how that is "better". Just different.

Meh. Working at a European company has made me really bitter about the whole "everything American is inferior" idea that seems to be the favorite topic of conversation for everyone not born here.

Meh. Working at a European company has made me really bitter about the whole "everything American is inferior" idea that seems to be the favorite topic of conversation for everyone not born here.
you have my sympathy. That sounds as bad as when I worked South of the border and had to put up with the whole "Everything American is better" idea.

And then of course, the Americans up here have to put up with the whole "our beer is better, eh?" idea.

I never quite understood this idea. I've been to various parts of Europe. Wheat tastes (shockingly) like wheat. Grinding it up and mixing it with a tiny percentage of other ingredients tastes pretty similar. I mean, yeah, most of the bread I had in Europe had a tooth-shattering actual crust on it, but I don't really see how that is "better". Just different.

As a European who sometimes falls into that trap - there's some things great about the USA, and about Europe, and all that - but what you say here is exactly what some people mean..."all bread is pretty much the same" is as true as saying "all cars are pretty much the same". They are, in the sense that a Lada and a Mercedes will both manage to transport 4 people from point A to point B. But there's a world of difference. Also ,bear in mind that the "American" is often/nearly always the stereotypical American. "American bread" is Wonderbread/spongey white stuff. "American cheese" is Krafts singles. "American meat" is hormone-laden, water-infused, super-blown-up steak rib-eye with more fat than muscle. "American beer" is Bud, or Coors. Of course America has great varieties of all those products. Just like there actually is fastfood in Europe that's actually fast.
Stereotypically, though, America tends to take a great food product, then turn it into a cheap mass market thing that's 1/10th the quality, then turn the premium variety of that into a way-too-expensive piece of junk that still isn't anywhere near as good as the original, then export it all over the world as "the best" and "American". See: coffee and Starbucks, hamburger and mcDonalds, etc. Just as stereotypically, obviously all cheese in Europe is made from cows milked by French farmers with onions around their neck, and all German beer is brewed by big fat balding men with Lederhosen.
It's mostly harmless, and reacting to those arrogant Yanks is just plain fun, even if it means I look like a snobby Frog :p

fade

Staff member
Well, I don't agree that a car is comparable to bread, given the complexities involved. But that aside, I hear that last one a lot, and I disagree, speaking of a world of difference. There's this attitude among my European co-workers that Americans can't take a joke, but even as you worded it here, there's a huge difference. Telling me we all milk cows with onions around our necks is indeed a ribbing. Telling me everything my people do is bad and inferior is not. It reminds me of when the school bully is horsing around with his friends, then grabs the nerdy kid and punches him hard in the face. He turns to his buddies he was playfully wrestling with and high-fives them saying, "Oh look, the nerd can't take it like you guys can!" That's the attitude I see a lot online especially. "Irish guys like to drink! French people don't wear deodorant! [sudden scowl] Everything Americans do is bad, you're the evil scum of the earth, and your society is a sham! See, Americans can't take a joke!"

Well, I don't agree that a car is comparable to bread, given the complexities involved. But that aside, I hear that last one a lot, and I disagree, speaking of a world of difference. There's this attitude among my European co-workers that Americans can't take a joke, but even as you worded it here, there's a huge difference. Telling me we all milk cows with onions around our necks is indeed a ribbing. Telling me everything my people do is bad and inferior is not. It reminds me of when the school bully is horsing around with his friends, then grabs the nerdy kid and punches him hard in the face. He turns to his buddies he was playfully wrestling with and high-fives them saying, "Oh look, the nerd can't take it like you guys can!" That's the attitude I see a lot online especially. "Irish guys like to drink! French people don't wear deodorant! [sudden scowl] Everything Americans do is bad, you're the evil scum of the earth, and your society is a sham! See, Americans can't take a joke!"
I think you're somewhat projecting. I assure you the general worldwide consensus is that pretty much the whole frickin' world is either America, Americanophile, America-centric, or being Americanized as we speak. All local cultures are being bulldozed away, to be replaced with some form of Americana dreamworld where everyone understands every reference in the Simpsons, because we've all had the exact same suburban experience. It's only normal for people to be upset about that and somewhat try to push back. A lot of anti-American feeling you find is fear of being completely wiped out by californication.

fade

Staff member
All I can say is I'm not exaggerating anything I said. I'm merely paraphrasing actual things I've heard.

I've never understood the lotion thing. Even when I was a horny teen and masturbated 4+ times a day, I didn't need or want lotion. The only time it ever got sore was when I broke up with my ex and used masturbation as my only stress relief mechanism.But at that time I was averaging 7-8 times a day. That's not within normal limits. WTF are you guys all doing that hand lotion is so ubiquitous and assumed to be necessary/normal for masturbation?!

As a certain Long-Standing Member (appropriate title, yes) just reminded me - most Americans are circumsized, which probably really increases the amount of friction. Never thought about that.

I've never understood the lotion thing. Even when I was a horny teen and masturbated 4+ times a day, I didn't need or want lotion. The only time it ever got sore was when I broke up with my ex and used masturbation as my only stress relief mechanism.But at that time I was averaging 7-8 times a day. That's not within normal limits. WTF are you guys all doing that hand lotion is so ubiquitous and assumed to be necessary/normal for masturbation?!
Forget the lotion, what's up with the socks... no way using one on your penis is comfortable...

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently the current fad in Japan is the "bubble tea challenge." Women are attempting to sip bubble tea through a straw, resting the cup only on their chest. Seems particularly difficult for Asians, I would guess... heh...