Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I just jogged my own memory.
Back in the late 90's, when I first started making 'internet money' during the bubble, some girl on an online system started really pursuing me really hard. It was a tight-knit group, and everyone pretty much knew I was bringing in about 1/3 of a million a year. (oh, those were the days..sigh)

As soon as the checks started rolling in, she started incessantly messaging me: "When are we going out? When are we going out?" and then fantasizing about all of the nice restaurants I could take her to. Now, I'd known her for a couple of years prior to this, and she'd never exhibited any interest. And every private message she sent me after I started making bank was all about how I could spend money on her.

So, one day, she pings me with an IM about how I should go to lunch with her right at that very moment. So I said "fine, let's go." Went to Olive Garden, which she expressed disappointment in ("I thought we'd go some place swankier"). I ate something pretty standard from the middle of the menu, price-wise. I don't really remember what she had. The whole meal, all she could talk about was we should plan the next one better so we could go to a nicer place.

When the check came, she pointedly pushed it my direction, and I acted shocked. "You asked me out," I said. "I don't have any money on me--you caught me by surprise with the sudden offer, and I don't have any cash on me. Catch this one, and I'll get the next one."

There never was a next one.
And you come out of that story looking pretty good, choosing somewhere inexpensive.

As a Canadian, I don't get it.
Is their some part of our culture I've completely missed out on that'd make the pairing acceptable?

I get we go weird with our chip flavours but that combo sounds like an affront to me.

Last edited:
Is their some part of our culture I've completely missed out on that'd make the pairing acceptable?

I get we go weird with our chip flavours but that combo sounds like an affront to me.
It sounds like they reworded "sour cream & onion", which is a pretty common flavor of chip, at least down here. Unless there's some odd flavor difference I'm not aware of. But as written, "wild onion and yogurt" doesn't sound that appealing considering yogurt is usually associated with being a sweet flavor.

It sounds like they reworded "sour cream & onion", which is a pretty common flavor of chip, at least down here. Unless there's some odd flavor difference I'm not aware of. But as written, "wild onion and yogurt" doesn't sound that appealing considering yogurt is usually associated with being a sweet flavor.
Sour cream and onion are great, we have them here too.

And I agree with you, yogurt conjures the idea of sweet flavours in my mind, hence my revulsion.

I'll try them tomorrow and report back.

This has been standard combo for years. Not sure what a wild onion is, but green onion and yogurt are a tasty kettle chip.

247598.jpg

figmentPez

Staff member
This has been standard combo for years. Not sure what a wild onion is, but green onion and yogurt are a tasty kettle chip.

View attachment 31578
Wild onion is in the same general flavor area as green onions or chives.

And I agree with you, yogurt conjures the idea of sweet flavours in my mind, hence my revulsion.
Yogurt being primarily associated with sweet flavors is a very American thing.

Consider tzatziki sauce, chiken tiki masala, and if you've never had labneh you're missing out.

Yeah, yoghurt says "sour" to me (although not as thick and sour as the word we use for sour cream ), unless it's fruit yoghurt...

I thought it was just kinda a dumb joke but then he mentioned being drunk, handing him $5 and getting 5 cheap grilled cheese sandwiches and I'm a full supporter.

In the meantime, my office cafeteria has a restaurant rotation space and they brought in a grilled cheese place.

$5. For a grilled cheese sandwich. No sides. Nothing special. Two slices of bread, two slices of cheese, and oil for grilling.

In the meantime, my office cafeteria has a restaurant rotation space and they brought in a grilled cheese place.

$5. For a grilled cheese sandwich. No sides. Nothing special. Two slices of bread, two slices of cheese, and oil for grilling.
That's like Enron level Return On Investment...