Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

The scenery doesn't actually start until 150ish+ miles from the eastern border of Colorado. East Colorado looks like Kansas, and it also sucks.

This is what Kansas looks like. All of it. Hours and hours and hours and hours of driving in THIS.

View attachment 21814
On the other hand, this is what I-70 looks like going the other way during ski season. [emoji14]

What Gas said. That was actually my favorite picture pairing because it is SO FUCKING ACCURATE. I would take a picture of the view from my backyard, but there are clouds in the sky and that confuses me.
It confused me that clouds could confuse you. Then I remembered.

Hey, this one got itself on TV. I've never been on TV.

. . . A shitty bar graph is more successful than me! :(
I've been on TV a few times. It's not that great. You basically go "Hey look it's me on TV" until you realize no one else cares that much.

Funnily enough, the one time people were interested in me being on TV was when this news station did a documentary in the hospital I was working at at the time. I told my family that my arm could be seen in the background of one shot. My family sat through the entire documentary, constantly going, "Was that your arm there? No, wait, that was a girl's arm. Oh wait, it's that one, isn't it? It looks fatter than your actual arm, but you know how the camera adds ten pounds..."

I've been on TV a few times as a face in the crowd of sports games, but apparently during one Mizzou football game, they zoomed in on me and my friend for a decent amount of time. I would never have known except I ended up having a bunch of friends text me or tell me that they saw me on tv. I signed some autographs and parlayed it into a tell-all memoir. The movie is starting production later this year.

Since my dad worked in the newspaper industry, he employed me and my brother as stock children for youth stuff--there's pictures of us watching The Lion King, repairing computers, playing a Game Boy (my brother still has that one framed somewhere)... Separately, I was on a documentary about bullying at age 10-11, and was on an "ex-pats around the world" program a year ago.

IME, that's code probably written by someone with a PhD in Physics or Mathematics. Smart cookies, but their coding is like 10 notches above "utilitarian" and well into "A CODE MAINTAINER KILLED MY CHILDHOOD DOG, RAPE-KISSED MY BELOVED, BURNT MY HOUSE DOWN, AND CHOPPED MY HEAD OFF" territory.

Or it's optimized code that makes perfect sense if you know the underlying algorithm (and have the accompanying non-obfuscated version), with some deliberate indenting choices for outrage value.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't even know how to begin to explain this nightmare to @Tress.

It's like, imagine you tried to make a computer program to do basic addition, that you asked it "What is Num1 plus Num2?"

And instead of having the computer "Return (Num1 + Num2);"

You instead typed
If Num1 is "1," and then if Num2 is "1," then return 2, but otherwise if Num2 is "2" then return 3, but otherwise if Num2 is "3" then return 4, but otherwise....
And then did it all over again for
...but otherwise if Num1 is "2," and then if Num2 is "1,"....

And again for Num1 being 3... and then 4....

But then imagine doing it all in variables and verbiage that are completely unrelated and indecipherable so that nobody else can tell exactly what the hell your code is trying to do, so nobody ever has a chance at maintaining/debugging it.

Say there is a programming language with 300 words.

This programmer knows 5 of them.

It's very painful to read, though it works and does what they need it to. However if an expert is called upon to change something it will be very time consuming to understand what's going on because the 5 words they are using explore complex concepts that would be much easier to read if they used the additional 300.

So it's like having a 3 year old come up to you and try to describe exactly what they want to eat for dinner. Words are coming out, and you can see everything on the table, and understand the words individually, but it takes exceptional focus to figure out what they want simply because they don't know the words "ketchup", "fries", and "hamburger".

Ice cream, though, they know. And they say it all the time.

But they're trying use "ice cream" to describe ketchup, fries, and a hamburger.

fade

Staff member
Hey, that's been my job for the last couple of years. Refactoring code that was written by other geophysicists--who do usually have better than average coding skills, but who still tend to write obfuscated code with cryptic variable names and no comments. And usually just transcribe the math.

Worst code I've witnessed was written by an Israeli with a PhD in math, in python2. A friend of mine had a full-time remote job mostly maintaining that repo for a start-up, and sometimes the execution tree just tasted like pain.