Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Sex Ed in my old school system was extremely comprehensive, especially for the 90's. I swear that if I find out Li'l Z's sex ed isn't on the same level, at a minimum, I'm taking it upon myself to make sure he knows everything, for both genders. I hadn't planned on it this early, but he already knows about the menstrual cycle, including cramps, and the basics of baby-making and what to expect with puberty.

Dave

Staff member
When I was in 8th grade I got mononucleosis. I had a hard time keeping the medication down and instead of telling anyone I just ignored it. Consequently, I got very very sick and was put in intensive care. In fact, I was put into a coma and lost several days of my life. Why am I telling you this? I went into the hospital when my class started Chapter 8 - Human Reproduction. I got OUT of the hospital with two days left of the chapter but missed it because I was still at home. So I got no sex ed. They did make me take the test though. I passed.

I'll never forget a story I read online about a women who worked in a government building. Someone she worked for - I think a senator or at least someone of high authority - said they should get rid of the tampon dispensers in bathrooms. His reasoning? Women choose when they want to bleed and have it totally under control, just like when you can hold it in when you need to pee.

I'm sure there are tons of thing about female biology (or even male biology) that I have no clue about, but to be THAT clueless AND be a person of authority speaks volumes about the kind of people in power.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, Americans probably wouldn't understand because here the OAG would rake that store over the coals for ADA compliance.

I don't think most Americans would grasp the concept of a supermarket that has steps in the first place.
I've seen large supermarkets in parts of Ohio with steps and/or elevators to a open second floor, which usually has things like liquor and such... but only in places like Hillard, where it's fairly upper class.

Tell me you're from a region with a really low population density without telling me you're from an area with very low population density :-P

Plenty of convenience stores/supermarkets I've been to even in the US had stairs or escalators. Not everywhere has the luxury of just making a supermarket a huge flat one story monstrosity.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tell me you're from a region with a really low population density without telling me you're from an area with very low population density :-P

Plenty of convenience stores/supermarkets I've been to even in the US had stairs or escalators. Not everywhere has the luxury of just making a supermarket a huge flat one story monstrosity.
Yeah go ahead and tell us Americans how American grocery stores are, I'm sure you have a much more representative experience.

Yeah go ahead and tell us Americans how American grocery stores are, I'm sure you have a much more representative experience.
That's not what I said. I said that AT LEAST IN SOME AREAS IN THE USA grocery stores and/or syupermarkets can have stairs in them. Perhaps with an elevator next to them for people with disabilities. I mean, if I have to I can go dig up my tourist pictures from New York where I played games on the stairs of a large supermarket in Manhattan, which is still, to the best of my knowledge, in the USA.

Is "a shopmay have stairs in them" such a strange thing? I'm not saying all shops have it, I'm not saying it's standard, I'mperfectly fine believing that not a single grocery store in all of Texas has a stair in them because there's enoguh open space. Higher population density, more likelihood to build up instead of out. It's no doubt much more common in areas like Belgium where square meters are more expensive.

Ashburner a few posts up has said that, yes, he has also seen shops with stairs. I mean, I'm not telling Americans what American shops are like, I'm just a bit surprised by the "GASP WHAT STAIRS?!" reaction.

Holy fuck, how much reaction do I need to get on explaining a fucking joke? Never mind, I'll go off somewhere else and not be a bother anymore to any of you.

To be fair, to be faaaaaair, I was able to convince this forum that I knew what cheese went on Mexican food, in direct contradiction to the Mexican forum members.

Ashburner a few posts up has said that, yes, he has also seen shops with stairs. I mean, I'm not telling Americans what American shops are like, I'm just a bit surprised by the "GASP WHAT STAIRS?!" reaction.
I did also mention that I've only ever seen them in the rich part of town, where everything is just... nicer? This is all near Columbus, Ohio: land isn't exactly at a premium outside of downtown, most stores of all types are sprawling single floor affairs. This wasn't a decision based on space, it was aesthetic design.

To be fair, @Bubble181 isn't wrong. Stores like that exist in NYC, Philadelphia... Basically, a lot of the Northeast, because it was laid out long before other parts of America, and have had to adjust for car-sized streets and other issues, have some unusual set-ups. We have to go "up" because their was no room to go "out". It's not super common, but it does happen more than you think.

GasBandit

Staff member
They may exist, but they are extreme statistical outliers, and definitely not a function of population numbers.

But Bubble has no room to get butthurt when he turned a niche action of a percent occurrence into a "ha ha you live in the boonies" post. Ahyuck ahyuck, yup yup, city slicker, out here in thuh backwoods of Houston, Dallas, Denver, etc, we done have to have handicapped parking and wheelchair lifts cuz muh neighbor is 15 miles down yonder.

Probably would have been more accurate to say "tell me your buildings are only double digit years old."

They may exist, but they are extreme statistical outliers, and definitely not a function of population numbers.
Outliers, yes, but they do actually exist because of population numbers? Massive population+very small space+needs access to goods= weird, walk-up stores.

My point is that neither you or Bubble are wholly correct or incorrect, because the answer does lie in "regional differences" and the US isn't a cultural monolith. You guys are getting heated over something not that serious.

Now, let's all take a deep breath, and talk about something everyone can agree on.... like steak!