Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I get that most of these are "something has changed-BLAME MILLENNIALS!", but that one about babying pets...people of my grandmother's generation are guilty of that for as long as I can remember. Is The Greatest Generation the New Millennial? (These articles would say "yes", since I don't think they even know what the fucking word means.)

GasBandit

Staff member
I get that most of these are "something has changed-BLAME MILLENNIALS!", but that one about babying pets...people of my grandmother's generation are guilty of that for as long as I can remember. Is The Greatest Generation the New Millennial? (These articles would say "yes", since I don't think they even know what the fucking word means.)
MILLENNIALS OVERANALYZING FUNNY PICTURE POSTS - film at 11 :D

GasBandit

Staff member
But I'm not a Millennial. Or am I??? No one knows! The word has lost all meaning!!! :aaah:
According to the Pew Research Center, you are a millenial if you were born between 1981 and 1996.

But yeah, Sixpackshaker is right, some media outlets are erroneously using "millennial" to refer to Generation Z.

According to the Pew Research Center, you are a millenial if you were born between 1981 and 1996.

But yeah, Sixpackshaker is right, some media outlets are erroneously using "millennial" to refer to Generation Z.
I have never seen the year range stay the same between different places.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have never seen the year range stay the same between different places.
Outliers aside, most places seem to loosely agree that it goes:

Lost Generation - 1880s-1900s (Fought in WW1)
Greatest Generation - Early 1900s to mid 20s (Fought in WW2)
Silent Generation - late 20s to mid 40s (Was too young for WW2)
Boomers - mid 40s to mid 60s (Born in the post-WW2 baby boom)
Gen X - Mid 60s to early 80s (Born to boomers, experienced changing societal values, "latchkey kids," "MTV generation," etc)
Gen Y (Millennials) - Early 80s to mid 90s (Millenials, "Echo Boomers," shaped by rapid technological advancement/economic instability, birth of grunge/hip hop)
Gen Z - late 90s to undetermined end date (Can't remember 9/11, There has never not been an internet/wifi. TIDE PODS! YOUTUBERS! SOCIAL MEDIA!)

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Depending on where you look I'm either a Boomer or a Gen X. I was born in 1965.

Personally, I think all the labels are bullshit and that each generation is essentially the same, but whatever.

GasBandit

Staff member
Depending on where you look I'm either a Boomer or a Gen X. I was born in 1965.

Personally, I think all the labels are bullshit and that each generation is essentially the same, but whatever.
Oh, I think there's a marked and visible difference between the generation that went to WW2 and the generation they sired after the war. Mostly in what gets emphasized as important, and what gets taken for granted.

But I feel you. I, too, was born on the cusp between two "generations..." I'm not quite an X'er, nor quite a Millennial.

Dave

Staff member
Oh, I think there's a marked and visible difference between the generation that went to WW2 and the generation they sired after the war. Mostly in what gets emphasized as important, and what gets taken for granted.

But I feel you. I, too, was born on the cusp between two "generations..." I'm not quite an X'er, nor quite a Millennial.
I completely disagree about the difference between the WW2 generation and the one they sired after. Completely. Their situations were completely different so of COURSE they would act differently. But if the US would have been attacked or that generation would have had a LEGITIMATE conflict, they'd have stepped up.

Just like the generations after them. Look at 9-11. People stopped being the selfish pricks that they were and stepped up bigtime. Had Bush actually tried to do something about those who attacked us, he would have had the country behind him. But he squandered that.

The country right now is fractured as fuck but were we to be attacked, I think we'd do what we always do in tragedies and pull together to get shit done. It's what Americans do, and really it's what people everywhere do. We just haven't had a unifying moment in a while so we're all slanted towards the individualistic.

GasBandit

Staff member
I completely disagree about the difference between the WW2 generation and the one they sired after. Completely. Their situations were completely different so of COURSE they would act differently. But if the US would have been attacked or that generation would have had a LEGITIMATE conflict, they'd have stepped up.
WW2 gen won WW2.

The boomers lost (or dodged) vietnam.

Regardless of your criteria for "legitimacy," the WW2 generation was still around through the 80s, and talking to them vs talking to boomers, its easy to see the stereotypes ring true. WW2 vets were markedly different from Boomers, and yes, as you say, it was because they had different formative situations - the GI generation grew up in strife and conflict, and the boomers grew up in plenty, peace, and prosperity. The ants gave birth to grasshoppers, and later generations are having to be ants again to weather the consequences.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Vietnam =/= WW2. I'm firmly convinced that if the generations were switched they'd have each acted the same way. They knew Vietnam was a bullshit war, as was Korea.

GasBandit

Staff member
Vietnam =/= WW2. I'm firmly convinced that if the generations were switched they'd have each acted the same way. They knew Vietnam was a bullshit war, as was Korea.
Maybe they would have, but they didn't. You can play woulda-coulda all day, but it doesn't matter - they were never called upon for the same level of sacrifice, so they never became the type of people who had to sacrifice to that degree. And that's the difference between someone who's seen the elephant and an armchair quarterback/weekend warrior.

Dave

Staff member
I guess I'm just more optimistic about people. I think the generational thing is crap because every generation has their heroes and their villains. But always way, WAY more heroes. You just never hear about them.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the generational thing is crap
Not a lot of boomers running five nights at freddie's youtube channels. There are definite differences between people born in different time periods. They like different things, they fear different things, they had different formative experiences. We don't always exactly agree on drawing the lines between one and another, and yes, there's good and bad in every generation. But there definitely are differences - and like it or not, the Baby Boomers have definitely earned a generalized reputation for short-sighted selfishness.

Outliers aside, most places seem to loosely agree that it goes:

Lost Generation - 1880s-1900s (Fought in WW1)
Greatest Generation - Early 1900s to mid 20s (Fought in WW2)
Silent Generation - late 20s to mid 40s (Was too young for WW2)
Boomers - mid 40s to mid 60s (Born in the post-WW2 baby boom)
Gen X - Mid 60s to early 80s (Born to boomers, experienced changing societal values, "latchkey kids," "MTV generation," etc)
Gen Y (Millennials) - Early 80s to mid 90s (Millenials, "Echo Boomers," shaped by rapid technological advancement/economic instability, birth of grunge/hip hop)
Gen Z - late 90s to undetermined end date (Can't remember 9/11, There has never not been an internet/wifi. TIDE PODS! YOUTUBERS! SOCIAL MEDIA!)
With the pattern, Gen Y is too short, since each preceding generation is about a 20 year span. Possible that 9-11 is a possible end point, maybe as late as 2004 or so, they still don't actually remember 9-11 happening, but remember what they were told about where they were.

This was usually my understanding, although I thought Millennial usually started around 1990. But I usually fall at the end of Gen X, or I remember I fell at the end of Gen X when the coined the term in the 90's.

Millennials Are Ruining Generational Labels By Not Knowing If They're A Millennial!

This was usually my understanding, although I thought Millennial usually started around 1990. But I usually fall at the end of Gen X, or I remember I fell at the end of Gen X when the coined the term in the 90's.

Millennials Are Ruining Generational Labels By Not Knowing If They're A Millennial!
I can't recall millennials not failing somewhere in the 80s through everything I've seen, but who knows?!