Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

GasBandit

Staff member
For what it's worth, I came to the same conclusions you did after 1 episode. Then I watched a 2nd just to be sure because sometimes even good shows can have rough pilot episodes.

I didn't watch a third.
I watched the whole first season, trying to give it as fair a shake as possible. I WANTED to like it.

That's because the context is completely different. One of my main complaints about The Orville is it can't decide what kind of show it wants to be. If it WAS 100% played-for-laughs, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it keeps grinding the gears as it tries to shift between madcap zaniness and anvilicious soapboxed SRS BZNS. In Futurama, the entire world is an incompetent pastiche. In The Orville, from what we've seen, it's just MacFarlane and his crew, who somehow get a pass while the rest of the universe plays the straight man.
Well look at that... i knew you had some actual criticism in you.

But seriously, who is not a shallow parody of a certain concept on The Orville again?

The whole show is pretty anvilicious... and, as we all know, Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped!
Post automatically merged:

For what it's worth, I came to the same conclusions you did after 1 episode. Then I watched a 2nd just to be sure because sometimes even good shows can have rough pilot episodes.

I didn't watch a third.
Riker's beard is disappointed in you...

I mean... that's exactly what I said in the string of comments I linked to...
Maybe that's what you where thinking, but that's not what it comes off as:

The writing is absolute pablum. Every human on the ship is either emotionally or intellectually retarded, or both. There is absolutely no way any of these people would have a career in any military for more than 2 weeks. The only interesting characters are Bortas, Isaac, and Pickles, and even they are mostly based on common tropes. The show can't decide whether it wants to be a Star Trek parody or an attempt to play it straight. The humor is infantile, and the social commentary is sanctimonious beyond belief.
Yup, nothing about "while the rest of the universe plays the straight man." there. (also, they don't even do that - not any more then the ha;f-black-half-white but on different sides trek aliens)

"The show can't decide whether it wants to be a Star Trek parody or an attempt to play it straight. "

I guess you just needed it more spelled out for you.
Yeah, that was the part i didn't consider proper criticism...

And i've already said that there's no reason why something can';t be a parody and have "social commentary [that is] is sanctimonious beyond belief."

Also, i'm pretty sure TNG's social commentary would be considered "sanctimonious" today even more then it was back then...

This was my criticism as well, it just does not seem to move the needle as far towards "unwatchable" for me as much as it does you.

--Patrick
That's because it's more then that for him, i bet. He's just not expressing it with enough detail...

GasBandit

Staff member
But seriously, who is not a shallow parody of a certain concept on The Orville again?
Oh, I missed this one, too...

Pretty much anyone else in Earth society or elsewhere in the chain of command (IE, the admiralty to which MacFarlane often had to make bullshit excuses for his and his crew's misconduct) was played completely straight.

Pretty much anyone in else Earth society or elsewhere in the chain of command (IE, the admiralty to which MacFarlane often had to make bullshit excuses for his and his crew's misconduct) was played completely straight.
I don't think what is basically nepotism, and allowing massive amounts of bullshit excuses is playing it straight... but to each their own, i guess...

Well, looks who's a commie all of a sudden...

But, on a more serious note... am i the only one that doesn't think that doing something i like for a job would make it not a job? Because you'd still be forced to do it in a certain time frame, and a certain way...

It's like reading for school... i might like reading, but when i'm forced to do it, and have to interpret it in a certain way to get appropriate grades, it becomes a chore...

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, looks who's a commie all of a sudden...

But, on a more serious note... am i the only one that doesn't think that doing something i like for a job would make it not a job? Because you'd still be forced to do it in a certain time frame, and a certain way...

It's like reading for school... i might like reading, but when i'm forced to do it, and have to interpret it in a certain way to get appropriate grades, it becomes a chore...
Yeah, I'm more of the "there's no better way to stop enjoying a hobby than to start accepting money to do it" camp.

It really depends on the hobby and the job. I don't give a rat's ass whether soccer players still enjoy the game considering some make more per day during off season than I do in a year...but many of them say they still love it, and many of them go on to play in veteran's leagues and such after their career which they certainly don't need to.
There's a difference between "enjoying working with wood and making a new porch bench" and "being a full time carpenter", of course.