Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Oh man, but what if I find out the Thai place is owned by Chinese people or something? I'd look racist and stupid.
Funny enough, Jun and I went to a Thai place called Ruby Thai in clearwater, and Jun and I were discussing in Chinese what we wanted, and the server asked us in Chinese if we wanted extra rice. We both kind of stopped and went 0_0. Turns out the restaurant was owned and staffed by Chinese :p

I love super spicy! I like the uncomfortably hot stuff if I am in challenge mode ( waiver wings) but just like really spicy things when trying to enjoy food but too me really spicy is a tactile enjoyment.

Some people like the feel of a really strong mint, I liked the warmth of a really spicy food. If it can make my sinuses start to run and put a little perspiration on my forehead then it is perfection.

Oh man, but what if I find out the Thai place is owned by Chinese people or something? I'd look racist and stupid.
Oddly enough, a good majority of the sushi/Thai/Malaysian/any Asian food restaurants around here (and even a bunch in NYC) are run by Chinese people. You shouldn't assume, but the odds are pretty good.

Or you could have the opposite problem: years ago we tried dinner at a Chinese restaurant we usually go to for dim sum. Mr. Z starts ordering in Chinese, and the waiter mumbles something. Mr. Z asks him in Chinese to repeat that, he didn't catch it, and a little clearer, the server goes,"...I don't speak Chinese." He was Chinese, but 2nd or 3rd generation, has no fluency. So Mr. Z kinda chuckles and goes, "No problem, dude, here's what we want...". Turns out the usually stick that waiter with the white tables, amd when we came in, they didn't think we weren't going to order in English.

figmentPez

Staff member
Fade doesn't like it.

Though in this case I can understand it. Spicy is good. Excessive heat is just absurd. You're either covering up a shitty piece of food, or ruining a good one. After a while, what the hell do you even taste?
Sometimes I have to wonder if sensitivity to capsaicin is genetic, like a "super-taster" being strongly sensitive to bitter, or some people having cilantro tastes like soap (or worse). Because I really can't imagine it simply being a matter of what you're used to. I can get used to a certain amount of heat, but at some point pain just blots out all other sensations coming from my mouth, and no amount of regular intake of spicy changes that. I could take the pain, but why? I like to actually taste more than just pain when I'm eating, and I assume most people do, so I'm left to assume that some people just don't have the same receptors, or the same amount, as I do.

And don't try to pull the "you're just a weakling who can't stand the pain" bullshit with me. I know people who love spicy food but think plucking eyebrows is some form of torture. Obviously they can't be feeling the same pain I do if they can stand spicy food but not a few plucked hairs.

don't try to pull the "you're just a weakling who can't stand the pain" bullshit with me. I know people who love spicy food but think plucking eyebrows is some form of torture. Obviously they can't be feeling the same pain I do if they can stand spicy food but not a few plucked hairs.
I know that regular exposure will acclimate you to the irritant, so Frank's graduates more to something like zesty ketchup, but yeah, there's a point where it starts to override the tastebuds, and all you taste is pain.

--Patrick

This is my greatest fear about where I work. By any chance, do you know any studies where this has been proven? (Regular studies to capsaicin)
I've never gone looking for studies, but it's an experiment you can conduct on your own. Just start adding hot sauce to your food, then gradually increase the scoville rating of the hot sauce you use. Barring any sort of medical condition (allergies, etc), the progress of your tolerance will be obvious.
Now the part I don't know is whether there's any sort of maximum level of tolerance for humans, or whether a dedicated individual can potentially Dragonball Z their way up to the point where OC loses its effectiveness. That's where we need a study. Good luck finding volunteers, though. Also I have no idea whether building up a dietary tolerance will have any effect on exposure to other parts of the body. Ask any Thai food lover who's ever forgotten and rubbed their eyes after eating, they'll tell you.

--Patrick

I like really spicy food.

The thing is, though, it's not that spicy to me. When I eat a habanero, it's a little warm, sure, but I mostly love habanero salsas because they have this really fruity character to their flavor that's not evident in jalapenos (which have this more "green" taste to them)

I've never gone looking for studies, but it's an experiment you can conduct on your own. Just start adding hot sauce to your food, then gradually increase the scoville rating of the hot sauce you use. Barring any sort of medical condition (allergies, etc), the progress of your tolerance will be obvious.
Now the part I don't know is whether there's any sort of maximum level of tolerance for humans, or whether a dedicated individual can potentially Dragonball Z their way up to the point where OC loses its effectiveness. That's where we need a study. Good luck finding volunteers, though. Also I have no idea whether building up a dietary tolerance will have any effect on exposure to other parts of the body. Ask any Thai food lover who's ever forgotten and rubbed their eyes after eating, they'll tell you.

--Patrick
Oh, I think I have a few volunteers who'd be willing to participate, but with all the lawsuits we have, I don't think they're gonna want to do it without serious financial compensation. (Fat Stacks, yo.)

The only way I avoid this in Chinese restaurants is telling them, in Chinese, how hot I want it.
「辣到我直接尿出来。」

(For those of you looking to Google translate this, please don't, this is one of those occasions where Google fails miserably.)

「辣到我直接尿出来。」

(For those of you looking to Google translate this, please don't, this is one of those occasions where Google fails miserably.)
Does it say "Let me spice it myself"? That's what google almost translates it to in my language.

Does it say "Let me spice it myself"? That's what google almost translates it to in my language.
In my language I get two suggestions:
"Dick me out tightly"
and
"I am warm for the urine directly out".

In French it's "I'm horny for controlling the urine"

Myeah. Not my kink.