Free Arby's BBQ Bacon Cheddar Roastburger Coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

Guinness is what college kids drink when they're trying to prove that they like fancy beers.

Cajungal

Staff member
^I find this is true a lot of the time.

*takes a drink, grimaces* Eeuuuh... it's... soooo tasty.

Then again, I have met people who looooove it. It's too bitter for me. My brother let me try one recently that's thick like Guinness but it had a much nicer flavor. I can't remember the name, though. He tries something new each week.

L

Lally

Chazwozel said:
Jake said:
Kissinger said:
Really, avoid American lagers in general.
There are some worthwhile American lagers. Victory Pilsner and Brooklyn Lager are great. Most microbrewed lagers I've tried are decent. Even the "Simpler Times" lager at Trader Joe's for $4 a sixpack is okay. Yeungling is about as light as I'll go, though, and only if "necessary".

However, a real Pilsner will have a hop bite that might be off-putting to some.

Ugh, Yeungling...

I unfortunately live in the heartland of the Yeungling brewing company. It always just tastes skunky to me.
THIS. I am the only person I know that doesn't like Yeungling (that likes beer, of course). It's on tap everywhere here, and everyone I know loves it. I don't see what the fuss is about. I think it's gross. :\

For the record, I don't think Guinness is bad, per se. It's just that there are plenty of American stouts that kick its ass. Like any ubiquitous beer, it's been neutered to appeal to the broadest audience possible. If you think it's the bees' knees, try something like Avery's "The Czar" Imperial Russian Stout and prepare to come face to face with God.

Also, I just wanted to bump a beer thread.

B

Batdan

Jake said:
For the record, I don't think Guinness is bad, per se. It's just that there are plenty of American stouts that kick its ass.
Examples? I want to do some drunken research.

These burgers aren't that great. For me, it ruined what I like about Arbys. The lettuce just doesn't work.

That being said...for free? Free tastes good. Well, free after a soda purchase.

I tried it on Saturday and I thought it was decent. I didn't think it was the best thing ever and I won't be going out of my buy it I thought it was still decent.

Cajungal

Staff member
Why do they get to call it a burger?

That's a roast beef sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and bacon... and an onion ring?

Krisken said:
Batdan said:
Jake said:
For the record, I don't think Guinness is bad, per se. It's just that there are plenty of American stouts that kick its ass.
Examples? I want to do some drunken research.
New Glaurus Makes a good stout. :D
Indeed. You can only get it in Wisconsin, though (luckily my brother drives through there on his way to family gatherings). Rogue "Shakepeare Stout" is awesome, Bell's makes several great stouts, any number of microbreweries, really. Even Sierra Nevada Stout, which you can probably find at the grocery store, beats Guinness.

Since Sam Adams uses two-row barley like most European lagers, does it still count as "American beer"?

(most of the big US brewers use six-row barley, which is also why they end up using rice and corn as adjuncts)

DarkAudit said:
Since Sam Adams uses two-row barley like most European lagers, does it still count as "American beer"?

(most of the big US brewers use six-row barley, which is also why they end up using rice and corn as adjuncts)
Most small American breweries use two-row. And you have it a little backwards. The mega-brews use six-row because they use cheaper adjuncts like corn and rice. The six-row has higher protein (enzyme) content, which is needed to break down the adjunct starches.

Of course, six-row is really cattle feed and shouldn't be used in beer, but mega-brew is barely beer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.