Favorite Game-based Music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the music in Sonic was great. This song would always get stuck in my head and is genuinely cheery.
So I'm going through this thread, and this is the first one I play without headphones on, and without looking up, Kati says, "Why are you playing the Star Light Zone music?"

It's probably been more than 10 years since she last played Sonic.

I Love her.

--Patrick

I have almost no good Genesis music memories. Other than a few exceptions, the Genesis' soundchip was just so shitty.

GasBandit

Staff member
To this day, I still consider Bravely Folk Song (Cervantes' theme from Soul Blade) to be the official theme of evil piratey adventure. Sorry, Lechuck.

Yeah, you had to dig into it's single best soundtrack to defend it. The Genesis had a God awful soundchip that sounded like trash 99% of the time.

That the Streets of Rage games had such good soundtracks is owed more to Yuzo Koshiro who made a lot of the best soundtracks of the 16 bit era.

Earthbound had an insane and catchy soundtrack (almost final boss music):

I always found that FFX's music made me think of water, which considering how much of the game takes place in/on/near oceans and the like makes sense:

Lunar: Silver Star Story was probably the first JRPG to give me a taste of real difficulty, but it's still tasty as hell:

What? Genesis music isn't that bad. Granted I don't remember a lot as I never owned one, but the Sonic music is fantastic.

However nothing tops NES/SNES music in terms of longevity. Mega Man 2 and 3 have some of, if not THE, most memorable music ever created. I've always felt the Kirby games' music deserved more credit as well.

Genesis music is notorious for being inferior to the SNES because the Genesis had a fundamentally worse sound chip. It's more a historic thing.

Genesis music is notorious for being inferior to the SNES because the Genesis and a fundamentally worse sound chip. It's more a historic thing.
That makes sense. Considering again Sonic, you can hear sounds used as in-game fx also being used in the BGM (specifically the ring gathering sound).

Status
Not open for further replies.