Favorite Game-based Music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a huge fan of great soundtracks to games, even if the game is terrible. I got over 500 songs in my library. I also like remixes and special presentations. Let's share a couple of our favorite ones, shall we? It doesn't have to be anything special, just music that gets you going! Oh yeah, youtube that shit!

(oh limit 3 per post please)

Here's a few of my favorite ones on my playlist :

Don't understand a damn word she says but she sounds heavenly and really compliments this great track from a fun game.

Ignore the getup but I love anyone will to play some of that sweet SNES Lufia music which is on my top 5 list of all time.

This is a Icewind Dale 2 Soundtrack composed by Inon Zur. This truly is an outstanding piece and quite frankly is inspiring and beautiful. This is also the Theme Song for my D&D campaign played at key moments, which I hoped resounded heavily to my players.

Share away!

The Half Life games are full of awesome music, but Nuclear Mission Jam is so awesome they used it in Opposing Force and Half Life 2 as well.

I'm also a fan of Final Fantasy 8's music, with this one being my favorite. It brings to mind a warm cup of cocoa, a fire in a fireplace, while snuggling with your lady friend.

Finally, this song alone justified the purchase price for the Orange Box.

figmentPez

Staff member

I like a lot from the Beyond Good & Evil soundtrack, but this one came to mind first.

Again, a lot to love from Grim Fandango, but the I love the Bone Wagon.

Heh, this always makes me laugh. I love a lot of Jared Emerson Johnson's work though, on Sam & Max, Bone, Tales of Monkey Island and more.

Oh, I could go on. World of Goo, Planescape: Torment, Legend of Zelda, there's so much good video game music out there. Someday I need to grab the Pyschonauts soundtrack. *sigh* It's sad that doesn't come with the GOG version, like other game's soundtracks do. (Which reminds me, I just downloaded a bunch of songs from the Magicka soundtrack, I need to give them a listen.)

I don't have one favorite but here are some I like

Final Fantasy IX The Rose General OC ReMix [Rose of May]

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Prayer OC ReMix [Forest Temple]

Chrono Trigger Behind the Sealed Door OC ReMix [Sealed Door, The Prelude]

Ooh! A few more vocal selections:

This one's hilarious, and contains some bad words, so if you're at work...

And two classic songs from L4D2:

Yes only three at a time. :)

Nice stuff guys, some of these selections are very nice indeed.

Here's a few more from my library and why.

I created this video a year ago, a tribute to Escusion's girlfriend's D&D game. The music however is a remake from a great artist who converted Lufia's soundtrack. Named Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals Symphonic Rock Remix: "The Very End"

I bet you won't recall this old gaming gem. ZILLION! What did I find out recently? It had an anime and I started watching it.... not bad for an anime for 20 years ago. Working more on nostalgia more than anything (heck this was one of my first games ever before some of you were probably born).

Phantasy..... Star..... 4! Ever played it? If your answer is NO, fix that. Download the rom and the emulator and play this classic RPG. I've played and finished this game on 3 continents thus far. YEAAAHHHHHH

Hmm... well here are a few of mine.

Anamanaguchi did a fantastic job with the Scott Pilgrim game soundtrack and Another Winter is probably my favorite track from the game.

Professor Layton is probably in my Top 3 Favorite game characters, so I gotta include the theme from curious Village. The very retro European inspired soundtracks add a lot to each game.

Mother is a fantastic series, even if people outside of Japan need to go to extraordinary lengths to play something we've been denied time and time again. I think this is my favorite rendition of Eight Melodies, the song from the first game that eventually helps save mankind.

I had determined my three before I'd even scrolled to the bottom of the page.

Seriously, does anyone else know of any other game that made the NES' sound chip go Super-Saiyan better than this?

Here's one that made me make the switch to playing my SNES through my television v. playing it through my stereo system. Every time the guiro comes in, I get all nostalgic.

And here's one that I'm including more for the performance than the song itself. If you've played the game (and who hasn't?) you'll really appreciate his performance.

--Patrick

Aww yay Conker!
Did anyone ever play The Neverhood? Loved the music from that game! I'd YouTube it but I'm on an iPad so that's a lot of work... >.>

Yasunori Mitsuda time!

This is the original track from the game, no remix or reorchestration, and I just love its slow build and ominous nature.

Kind of a two-fer, Select Start covers part of Radical Dreamers and Time's Scar, both from Chrono Cross. A good friend is one of the violinists and I adore Select Start's orchestration of the music.

Orchestration of the Ocean Palace theme from Chrono Trigger, this was for the Resurrection project that Square shut down a few years ago. They had redone some of the music, and I think they did a great job on one of my favorite tracks from Chrono Trigger.

Dang. Completely upgraded and has the grail structure. I loved playing necro. We still dive back into the series when current games get boring, and HoMM always had some good tunes. And story (if you paid attention).

--Patrick

Here's some more from me...

Godhand really should have gotten more love than it did, but I'll admit the the controls were a bit odd until you got used to them. Still, I loved the progressive difficulty and absolute variety they gave you.

Morrowind had some great music but the best clearly was Nerevar Rising, the theme of the hero of the story (sort of an elven messiah figure). I was a little surprised to see them use it again in the trailer for Skyrim. For me, the music is always going to be tied to the strange and wonderful continent of Vvardenfall.

Gitaroo Man is probably the best music themed game out there that doesn't feature covers of normal songs. It's story was weird and it's characters eccentric, but it's underlying message of hope and learning to stand up for yourself was delivered in such a way as to not seem heavy handed. Truly a game that needs a sequel.

Shadow of the Colossus has lots of great music, but this tune is my favorite. The rising and falling strings feel like the climb along a colossus.

This tune from Assassin's Creed 2 is gorgeous. I'd get into the optional races just to listen to this.

How could I forget Silent Hill? I love this song... and many more... Honestly, you should listen to all the Silent Hill songs, and a bunch of the music is great too (particularly for Silent Hill 2).

I was wondering if someone would post that. You do realize it's just a complete paraphrase of/homage to this , don't you?

Does explain why it's awesome, amright?

--Patrick
You think thats odd? The credits music is based/inspired by the Mazinger Z opening!

Okay on a normal computer now! Here's 3 from The Neverhood! Probably my favorite game from my childhood. <3 Even as a child, I appreciated the music from this game.

Klaymen's Theme

The Weasel Chase

Pulling of the Pin

figmentPez

Staff member
Okay on a normal computer now! Here's 3 from The Neverhood! Probably my favorite game from my childhood. <3 Even as a child, I appreciated the music from this game.
This is one of those classics I missed playing back in the day. I really wish it were available on GOG, Steam or some other digital distribution site. I'd snap it up immediately.

More of my picks:

Planescape: Torment is one of my favorite games. It really is an amazing game.

Psychonauts is a brilliant game, and I really wish I'd bought it when it first came out, rather than later on. I've played it twice now to 100% completion, and a third time continually beckons. There's a lot of good music, but when I love a level just for the music, that song is something special.

"A Pirate I Was Meant to Be" lots of good music in the Monkey Island, but this may be one of the funniest. Well, maybe one song is better...
Oh, there's a monkey in my pocket
and he's stealing all my change
his stare is blank and glassy
I suspect that he's deranged!

This is one of those classics I missed playing back in the day. I really wish it were available on GOG, Steam or some other digital distribution site. I'd snap it up immediately.
You're in luck! I was at ECCC, walking around the artist area trying to snag signatures for the Monsters & Dames book, when I saw a banner with Klaymen's face on it! It was Doug TenNapel, the guy who created The Neverhood! I was freaking out and had to buy a sketch asap!
ANYWAY, he said they've almost got the rights back to the game now and are probably going to be re-releasing it soon! Not anything fancy, just so that it'll be playable on newer computers and possibly the iPad as well! :) SO EXCITED for this to happen.

figmentPez

Staff member
You're in luck! I was at ECCC, walking around the artist area trying to snag signatures for the Monsters & Dames book, when I saw a banner with Klaymen's face on it! It was Doug TenNapel, the guy who created The Neverhood! I was freaking out and had to buy a sketch asap!
ANYWAY, he said they've almost got the rights back to the game now and are probably going to be re-releasing it soon! Not anything fancy, just so that it'll be playable on newer computers and possibly the iPad as well! :) SO EXCITED for this to happen.
That is AWESOME! How fun for you, and what great news for adventure game fans. Now if only LucasArts will stop being stupid and release Grim Fandango.

You think thats odd? The credits music is based/inspired by the Mazinger Z opening!
Heh. Never watched that one (though I did get some of the toys waaaaaay back when for Xmas from someone who didn't know what they were...and neither did I, they're long lost/broken/gone).

Dang, someone else beat me to posting SoTC (I bought the import soundtrack after being touched by the music/story). So here's three more:

Needs no introduction...because it is the introduction. It was also the cause for losing a week's worth of sleep.

That Psychonauts tune reminds me of this:

Ah, the good ol' days of FPS.

And there were times I'd install the demo just to play the theme from this:

(The original video has been removed from YouTube, so here's a Guitar Hero adaptation instead)
Not bad for 1996. The full soundtrack can be downloaded from here, if you're interested. Also, there's an OSX port (of sorts) here.

--Patrick

Super Mario World Super Mario Western Show OC ReMix

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past A Rose for Zelda OC ReMix

Chrono Trigger Town Life in Piano OC ReMix

Pinball machines should not have soundtracks this epic.
This one does (especially for 1989). I'd stand around just for the tune.

(link to just the theme, if you're interested)

Another retro classic.

(choppy gameplay video, if you're interested)

And with all the attention this song received recently*, I'm kind of shocked it hasn't been mentioned yet.

This is the sort of thing that can get you going in the morning. Play it LOUD.

--Patrick
(*it won a Grammy)

Yoko Shimomura time! Although, she has a lot of awesome tracks, so this is very, very narrow.

Recently Radiant Historia came out as an awesome RPG on the DS, and Shimomura's music was a great part of it. Final boss music (no spoiler in title):

Beautiful opening to Parasite Eve (not the bit when of trailer stuff you see when you put the disc in, but I mean when you start the game proper). It's a soft piano that feels like something big and bad is about to happen despite the peaceful setting.

Not a lot of people like Legend of Mana as far as I know, but I enjoyed it for the time and I certainly loved the music. There are MANY good tracks on this score and anyone should try listening to some of its better bits, but here's one encompassing a few of themes.

I've been going through my crates of games since I'm getting close to being done here and will need to be moving soon. I was going through my old sack of gameboy games and was reminded of Belmont's Revenge. Man, even the gameboy Castlevanias had good music.

Status
Not open for further replies.