Explosion at boston marathon

From what's started to come out, it appears at least two of the vics who are still in the hospital put the guy at the scene. One of them said he looked right at the guy as he put the bag down.

Unless we have an OJ-like screwup here, this is done.

Looks like they did get him. Huzzah!

Now we can get to collecting answers and grieving.

This isn't going to be a short process by any means...

Zappit

Staff member
Public safety exemption granted in this case. Because this was an act of terrorism, the Miranda Rights weren't a priority. There could be your major legal screw-up if it's successfully challenged. This guy is a citizen, and not a foreign enemy combatant. That could get ugly, which would be a shame since it appears clear as day this guy did it.

Lets avoid personal, unwarranted attacks and/or trolling.

Consider this a first warning. Anymore reports about it and it will be points.
-ESPY

Public safety exemption granted in this case. Because this was an act of terrorism, the Miranda Rights weren't a priority. There could be your major legal screw-up if it's successfully challenged. This guy is a citizen, and not a foreign enemy combatant. That could get ugly, which would be a shame since it appears clear as day this guy did it.
This is something that has me concerned, too. But I'm not in law enforcement so I have no idea exactly how it works.

No, I was pointing out that if you did the search on Bing maps, you will see the boat. Google Maps only has the trailer.

I was at work when this all went down and I nearly cheered loudly when I read the results.

If I had the money, I'd be calling a couple of Boston cop bars, give them my credit card number, and buy a round.

Dave

Staff member
About the Miranda rights, there's a clause called the Public Safety Exception. It's an extremely little-used clause that allows for FEDERAL law enforcement to interrogate without the suspect having agreed to his/her rights, and this is admissible in court. The angle they are using is going to be to ensure that there are no more people involved and because of the public safety, they don't have time to let him hide behind the fifth amendment.

Not saying it's right, just that it's perfectly legal.

I was at work when this all went down and I nearly cheered loudly when I read the results.

If I had the money, I'd be calling a couple of Boston cop bars, give them my credit card number, and buy a round.
I liked the news that an ER doctor bought pizza for the entire West, Texas medical crew during the night of the explosion. I'm sure there's alot of that going around that we're just not hearing about too.

I don't get the whole "Sorry libs, they're Muslim" bit. I'm seeing it a lot. In what way is that meant to be an antithesis to liberal hopes and dreams? I thought it was a fairly universal desire not to get embroiled in a huge, expensive, dangerous, international, military, religion-based conflict. I guess the idiots on the other side would've said "sorry you can't go bomb brown people" if it happened to be a right wing extremist group, even though one would hope that the desire not to have home-grown terrorists either was universal. Partisanship--no anti-party behavior lately makes my head spin.

It's the same idea as the "war on Christmas". Conservative pundits like to make up stories and ideas like liberals hoping it's a teaparty member, and then finger point while playing victim.

It's the same idea as the "war on Christmas". Conservative pundits like to make up stories and ideas like liberals hoping it's a teaparty member, and then finger point while playing victim.
Which is absolutely stupid. Nobody wants it to be a person of a larger group because the resources which will be needed to gather information/search out the rest of the group will be much greater than if it was a lone group of nuts. When either side does this, it makes me a little sick inside, really.

NO! REDDIT IS FOR CHILD MOLESTORS AND 4 CHAN MISOGYNISTS!!!
Well, I mean, it is, but... :p

Nah, my biggest grievances with Reddit are (what I see as) its egotistical culture and how much time I used to waste on it. I take a dim view of its photo-analysing, Boston-bomber-ID threads, but I can't pretend they've never done things that are cool or made me glad.

Well, I mean, it is, but... :p

Nah, my biggest grievances with Reddit are (what I see as) its egotistical culture and how much time I used to waste on it. I take a dim view of its photo-analysing, Boston-bomber-ID threads, but I can't pretend they've never done things that are cool or made me glad.
That's a pretty broad paintbrush for a community of millions ;) I'm sure you realize I wasn't completely pointing at you either.

No, I know, but I also know I was being critical earlier in this thread; and while I stand by that, I'm also not like... 100% antireddit reactionary.

nah, lots of people that pay attention have a really low opinion of reddit as a whole because of its many popular horrifying subreddits and the times its owners have fought to keep open subreddits like "dead jailbait"

See? Like I said, it's just Chuck.
Well, no, I also agree with the point he's made. Certainly if nothing else some of the things the owners have supported gave me enough pause to pretty much quit using it. I'm not about to call all of it terrible: as you pointed out, that's a broad brush for millions of people, but I do feel I can't in good conscience give it my support.

Well, no, I also agree with the point he's made. Certainly if nothing else some of the things the owners have supported gave me enough pause to pretty much quit using it. I'm not about to call all of it terrible: as you pointed out, that's a broad brush for millions of people, but I do feel I can't in good conscience give it my support.
That's fine, but like I said, I wasn't referring to you in the original comment you quoted.

I'm just saying it's not just CDS :p I'm just maybe less.. I dunno. Blunt? Snarky? I like his snark.
Ignorant to the reality of the real world what you you don't lack.

As for your opinion, at least it's based on actual experience, first hand knowledge, real opinion based on substance. That's where you differ. Noone has any problem with his blunt or snark, it's not even remotely that. I'm sure you realize this.

Ignorant to the reality of the real world what you you don't lack.

As for your opinion, at least it's based on actual experience, first hand knowledge, real opinion based on substance. That's where you differ. Noone has any problem with his blunt or snark, it's not even remotely that. I'm sure you realize this.
Haha, well, I appreciate that :D I probably agree with Charlie more often than you, but I think (hope?) I get where you're coming from too. I work on being level-headed and it's more important to me to understand others and their experiences than it is to be right. But now we're getting more into my, uhm, Weltanshauung, than anything relating to the topic at hand.