Explosion at boston marathon

Is this the part of the classforum where all the cool boystrolls rate all the girlswebsites in terms of hotness?

Because I was never included in that.

:(

Is this the part of the classforum where all the cool boystrolls rate all the girlswebsites in terms of hotness?

Because I was never included in that.

:(
It's because we hate Mormons love coffee love beer didn't know you wanted to come! C'MON BUDDY YOU KNOW YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME!

guys! stien's crashing the party! CODE FLAMENCO! CODE FLAMENCOOOOO

anyways, I'm glad this guy was caught, and I'm glad people on reddit helped out the law enforcement community of New England, whom I don't have anything bad to say regarding the whole ordeal.

Based on the blood in the boat, I'd say it's debatable he was actually "alive" - for varying degrees of the definition of the word "alive".

I'm quite amazed that these guys honestly thought they were going to get away with it. Or at least I assume that is the case. If they wanted to be caught, I doubt the shootouts and the pursuit would have happened. Instead, based on interviews from friends and schoolmates, these guys played it totally cool. Looking at the videos there is absolutely no real attempt to hide their faces. Were these guys just blissfully unaware that we entered a digital age years ago, with security cameras on every corner and shutterbugs taking hundreds of pictures and video on their iphones from every conceivable angle?

That's also a HUGE amount of evidence to sift through, Shawnacy. There was an excellent chance they'd have just been overlooked in the investigation, even if only for a day or two. That would have been plenty of time for them to escape if they had actually thought this through. If they'd bought plane tickets back to Chechnya and just flown out immediately after the bombing, they'd have been scott free and then we'd need the Chechnya/Russian government to extradite them.

Really, if they'd been smarter, they could have gotten away with this easily.

That's also a HUGE amount of evidence to sift through, Shawnacy. There was an excellent chance they'd have just been overlooked in the investigation, even if only for a day or two. That would have been plenty of time for them to escape if they had actually thought this through. If they'd bought plane tickets back to Chechnya and just flown out immediately after the bombing, they'd have been scott free and then we'd need the Chechnya/Russian government to extradite them.

I agree that they could have gotten away scott free fairly easily. I don't see how their identities wouldn't have been revealed at some point, but if they were out of the country by then, then yeah, we'd have difficulty tracking them down. But as soon as those security photos went up I'm sure anyone who took photos of the event were going through them to find clearer images, exactly like the ones that popped up on Reddit. They were so clear that anyone who knew the suspects would have had to have instantly recognized them.

And, of course, you know, they have several of the 150+ injured survivors who saw the two place the bags with the bombs.

I agree that they could have gotten away scott free fairly easily. I don't see how their identities wouldn't have been revealed at some point, but if they were out of the country by then, then yeah, we'd have difficulty tracking them down. But as soon as those security photos went up I'm sure anyone who took photos of the event were going through them to find clearer images, exactly like the ones that popped up on Reddit. They were so clear that anyone who knew the suspects would have had to have instantly recognized them.
The smarter thing to do would have been to spend an entire day + night driving to a completely different state/city. Then catch a plane to Europe. Wait a day, taxi out to another city than the one they arrived in, then fly to Chech. The trail would have been so cold/complicated it'd have never tracked them fully.

It wouldn't have mattered once they hit Chech soil: Chechnya is in the Russian Federation. They sure as hell aren't going to extradite one of their own to the US and the US isn't going to risk open conflict with Russia by sending a team in to extract them. Chechnya could do it against Russia's will, but then they'd have tanks in the streets like Georgia.

It wouldn't have mattered once they hit Chech soil: Chechnya is in the Russian Federation. They sure as hell aren't going to extradite one of their own to the US and the US isn't going to risk open conflict with Russia by sending a team in to extract them. Chechnya could do it against Russia's will, but then they'd have tanks in the streets like Georgia.
My point is, they either wouldn't have found them, or it'd have taken months at the least to even track them that far.

That would have been the real way they could have spread terror. I can only imagine how long it would have haunted people to know they were still out there and free, with no clue as to where they were. Everytime there was a bombing or threat, it would have been high alert because of them. That would have been terrible.

It wouldn't have mattered once they hit Chech soil: Chechnya is in the Russian Federation. They sure as hell aren't going to extradite one of their own to the US and the US isn't going to risk open conflict with Russia by sending a team in to extract them.
I'm not so sure. It isn't in Russian interests to be seen either domestically or internationally as going soft on terrorism, witness steps by Washington and the Kremlin in the aftermath of the Boston bombing. Russia has it's own problems with terrorists, both actual terrorists in the Caucasus, and general separatists the government sees convenient to label as terrorists. In any event I doubt they would have wanted to be seen as condoning acts of terror, given their domestic situation.

Perhaps the suspects wouldn't have been extradited (without some quid pro quo) had they reached Chechnya, but I doubt they'd have gotten away scott free. I think most likely they would have been arrested, with the Russians wanting to try them in Russia, and to serve their sentences there. Which might not have been a bad thing from a vengeance point of view, as I've heard russian jails really aren't very nice places. If the US agreed to this, fine. If they gave something in return for extraditing the suspects to the US (such as some co-operation regarding the Caucasus situation), good. If the US did not agree to any of this, no matter; Russia loses nothing, and possession is nine-tenths of the law anyway.

Seems like they wanted to do a string of bombings though.

Yeah; it'd be nice if they figured out if either of them had some sort of a plan beyond the bombs - like, say, "set off bombs in New York City" or something.

They did nothing because there is no law against trolling in this country.

And there won't be, until they repeal the 1st Amendment.

Also, apparently the Russians send out notices like this every single time someone from that region (or whose family is from that region) goes back there. So they've basically spammed the FBI with virus warnings for years, and the FBI has apparently started just ignoring them (or putting them on low-to-no priority, anyways).

It just sounds like a big clusterfuck.

Dave

Staff member
Also, apparently the Russians send out notices like this every single time someone from that region (or whose family is from that region) goes back there. So they've basically spammed the FBI with virus warnings for years, and the FBI has apparently started just ignoring them (or putting them on low-to-no priority, anyways).

It just sounds like a big clusterfuck.
I did not know that. Good information.

Dave

Staff member
And now the kicker:

Boston Bomber might walk due to rights violations during questioning.

Now, this doesn't mean he'll automatically be acquitted, but any statements he made during his time with the FBI might be thrown out, which means the case will be much more difficult to prosecute, which means his chances have gone up considerably. He'll still probably be convicted, but the government's case has just gotten considerably more difficult to prove.

I could see the exigent circumstances argument being used.... but only up to the point where they found out there were no other explosive devices involved.... much past that, and it gets harder for them to justify questioning.

holy shit, this is horrible:

He assured agents that no one but him and his brother were involved in the bombings, and that there were no remaining bombs, the defense says. He wrote the word "lawyer" 10 times, and circled it.
I can at least hope this massive violation of rights could at least save this kid from the death penalty

Yeah, it's pretty inexcusable that they violated his rights. Doing that is the biggest disservice to the public and the victims that the police could have done. You aren't Jack Baer dumbasses, and this isn't TV where there are no consequences.