[News] Ex-cop, ex-military James Dorner is waging war on the LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in that he got the same level of retaliation within the department... but Serpico didn't go bat-guano crazy afterwards.

Dave

Staff member
Dorner may actually have a point with the way the department was/is being run and the fact that there was/is an unsavory element to the police in L.A. Having said that, I agree with TommiR that any message Dorner had was immediately invalidated when he started going after the families of the other officers he's accused of wrongdoing. Had he kept his attacks to only those he deemed dirty cops, I'd be willing to bet he'd have a fairly large following of people if not cheering him on, at least commiserating with his plight. When he killed that girl and her fiancee, he ruined any shred of credibility he may have had or could have achieved.

But the LAPD has STILL managed to come out of this looking like idiots and homicidal fools. They opened fire on TWO different people looking for Dorner. I can see how they thought the white guy was a large black man, but still don't know how the two Asian ladies were targeted.

fade

Staff member
This guy is pretty close to being a supervillain. He may have had some valid concerns, but he's got to know that the moment he goes on a rampage, his point is lost. One could argue that his manifesto was faked, but if it wasn't, it kind of seems like this guy didn't have all hands on deck near the end.

Dave

Staff member
Dude eludes the LAPD and will get caught because of fish & game officers. :rofl:

I hope he lives because he'll forever be known as the guy who was beaten by Brickleberry.

The point about this entire ordeal that stands out the most to me (aside from the killings, etc.) was one of the quotes that some reporter grabbed from one of the press releases, stating that the situation was very scary because Dorner was using "advanced tactics" like ambushes and decoys. If our police forces really do consider ambushes and decoys to be advanced tactics, we need to improve their training curricula. We learned all about ambushes and decoys in the Boy Scouts, playing capture the flag and paintball capture the flag.

Dave

Staff member
AHAHAHA!! I just heard on live CBS news that the shooter was "Ronnie the Limo Driver". The news reader said, "Ronnie the Limo Driver?" The guy said, "Yeah, he was pulling up with some people and was caught in the firefight. He then opened fire." When pressed, he said, "You're a real dumbass, aren't you? You haven't figured out this is a prank call?" And only THEN did they cut him off.

[Updated at 8:34 p.m. ET] At some point today, a suspect tried to get out the back door of the cabin, but he was pushed back inside, U.S. Marshals Service district chief Kurt Ellingson told CNN's Brian Todd.
That seems... odd.

Recent reports say that a single shot was heard from inside the cabin either just before or just after the fire broke out; and that a body has been discovered inside the burnt out cabin. Now, we just have to wait for confirmation that it's actually Dorner's body.

So... apparently there is audio of police officers on the scene shouting "Shoot the gas!", "Get the gas!", and what sounds like "Burn it down."

This IS turning into another Ruby Ridge/Waco.

Honestly, both sides of this came out looking bad. No matter how much of a point Dorner may have had, going to war with the cops is not the way to get that point across, and shooting the daughter of an officer because you have a beef with the officer is just... indescribable, really. On the other hand, the LAPD comes out of this looking like a bunch of blood thirsty, trigger happy fools after shooting up two unrelated civilian vehicles (because they looked similar, and suspicious) and burning the cabin to the ground (with now-conflicting reports as to whether or not Dorner attempted to escape out the back of the cabin before it burned to the ground). And honestly, "re-examining" the investigation that led to Dorner's firing, doesn't do them any favors either, unfortunately.

Yeah, this is ether going to lead to a cleaning of house in LA and the Marshals or a confirmation of that fact that they are allowed to do anything they want. If it's the latter, your going to see a lot more of this is the future.

It's not much of a conspiracy to think it's possible a bunch of super pissed off cops who are part of a police force known for abusing power might get really angry and just decide to let this guy die in a fire. I mean, it's not a terribly crazy idea is it? I'm not saying we should string these guys up but the whole thing is crazy enough to warrant a reasonable investigation.

Zappit

Staff member
Guy brought it all on himself. He targets and kills two innocent civilians, two police officers, and makes it very clear he's waging a war and terror campaign against the police.

Are we surprised he was pushed back in? He was as trigger happy as the LAPD, opening fire when a cop was in sight. I don't doubt he came out armed trying to escape, and the police shot at him, forcing him back into the burning house.

The LAPD may not have been their best, but keep in mind that they were scared. This guy was armed to the teeth, with police and military training, no regard for his safety or anyone around him, and he wanted to murder cops and their families. He was a very real boogeyman who could hide from the police and seemingly move undetected. When every cop is fearing for the lives of their loved ones, that's justifiable reasoning that you do everything to end his threat even if the outcome is ugly.

This type of criminal is very rare in America. There just aren't people who specifically target cops and their families, and as such, there's really no way for a department to prepare in case their own people are being hunted.

Dorner may have been unjustly fired, but he had options - lawsuits, talking to the media - but he chose to pick up a weapon and take out as many people as he could without getting caught. He didn't just throw away his credibility and sympathy with those actions, he threw away his very humanity. If he's gone, all the better.

The LAPD may not have been their best, but keep in mind that they were scared.
The problem is they are not allowed to be scared. If they are, they're not being objective and they need to pass it on to another entity.

I'm not defending the guy, but the lapd fucked up and I hope there is enough spotlight in to this subject to have something happen. I doubt it though.

GasBandit

Staff member
The LAPD may not have been their best, but keep in mind that they were scared.
Yes, take pity on the poor, defenseless 10,023 LAPD officers who have cowered helplessly beneath this monster's reign of terror, unable to think (or shoot) straight for the fear. I'm pretty sure the decision to make sure Dorner ended up DOA was made before today. Perhaps he deserved death, but it's not the place of the LAPD to sentence him when they have him surrounded in a cabin - and that's a critical question of authority that should shake every American to their core. Did they even bother with SWAT? Tear gas? Flashbangs? Or did they go right for the petrol and flares?

Status
Not open for further replies.