Ender's Game (movie)

I am super stoked for the movie to come out but I have a really bad feeling that the movie will end up really sucking,

GasBandit

Staff member
As I said over in the trailers thread, I'm betting the B-plot (Locke and Demosthenes) is totally written out of the movie for time sake, otherwise the thing would easily be 4 hours long.

I have a bad feeling they're going to shoehorn in a kid romance.
I've heard that OSC shopped this around until he found a studio that wouldn't do that. I believe the compromise was to get more of Bean's and the Ender's Shadow story in.
As I said over in the trailers thread, I'm betting the B-plot (Locke and Demosthenes) is totally written out of the movie for time sake, otherwise the thing would easily be 4 hours long.
I believe it was, again, in favor of getting more Bean centric content in. Unfortunate as I find Peter's story just as compelling.

I still can't believe they have such a huge spoiler in the trailer. I know that most people have read the book and even than only people who know the spoiler will most likely notice it but still.

I still can't believe they have such a huge spoiler in the trailer. I know that most people have read the book and even than only people who know the spoiler will most likely notice it but still.
Spoilers are in the eye of the beholder. In order to shorten movies, a number of things that are spoilers for the book are made obvious in the movie. You can only keep a few secrets until the end, otherwise it becomes too complicated.

Dave

Staff member
In an ironic twist, Orson Scott Card wants people to not boycott his movie over his extremist anti-gay rants and activism. Why? Because they are not being tolerant.

You can't make this stuff up, folks!

(I'll still see the movie, though, as long as the geeks think it sticks fairly close to the books.)

GasBandit

Staff member
There's only so much they can do. If they don't cut the Locke and Demosthenes subplots, it'll be 4 hours, half of which is children typing.

I will go and watch the movie but I don't have very high hopes for the movie. I just am having a hard time imagining how they are going to capture the spirit of the book. Although I must admit I get really pissed off over Orson Scott Card's anti-gay stances. In my mind just because I like someones books does not mean I have to like the author.

There's only so much they can do. If they don't cut the Locke and Demosthenes subplots, it'll be 4 hours, half of which is children typing.
If Card follows some of the thoughts he had for his first script, we aren't going to see much, if anything, from Peter and Valentine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game_(film)#Development

It sounds like the main focus points will be:
- Ender doesn't know, but the audience and all the adults do know what's really going on from the beginning of the movie
- The adults will be fighting over control of Ender
- The major interpersonal elements of the main characters across ender's game and ender's shadow
- The battles and battle tactics (primarily to showcase ender's out of the box thinking)

But we'll see how it actually was laid out. Card held this series so close to his chest for such a long time that even if it doesn't match the books, it will probably match his vision for what an ender film should be right now.

Necronic said:
They really had to show the Dr Device scene in the trailer?
I commented on that to my husband when we were seeing Despicable Me.

"Oh hey we've seen the ending, no need to watch the movie now!"

But you know it's the ending because you've read the books. For someone not familliar with the books, thats just a big marketable explosion and holds no context.

I'd also argue that that really isn't the end in the book. Very final yes, but not the end of them.

I watch Roman Polanski films. So I'll probably see this. I have no issue separating the art from the artist.

I watch Roman Polanski films. So I'll probably see this. I have no issue separating the art from the artist.
I mostly agree with this, except when my viewing of the art, funds the artist and allows him to continue being the person that I object with.

IE: I no longer eat at Chikfila, even though I can seperate the food from the CEO.

Dave

Staff member
I don't eat at Chick-fil-a mainly because it's expensive and you don't get anything special for the extra cost. I'm not a crusader, I'm just cheap.

I don't go out of my way to avoid this sort of thing - either Polanski or OSC. However, if you want to boycott this, the only right way is to not go and see it. Sneaking in is essentially stealing (you wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a movie. Dammit, I've been indoctrinated!); you're not just withholding money from OSC, but also from the people running the cinema etc etc.