Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

Not saying he wouldn't have won in 2016, but those polls are kinda iffy since he was facing none of the scrutiny/attacks he would be if he actually was the nominee.

Somehow i don't think Comey would have been able to Weiner his campaign a week before the election.

Or are we pretending Trump won because people wantd him, and not because the the Rep Prop Machine had been sowing doubts about Hillary for years, and that still didn't put him over the top until the e-mail tihng resurfaced at the right/wrong time?

Dave

Staff member
So Bernie wins Nevada. So, of course, Chris Matthews says it's a lot like the nazis invading France. Basically saying at this point that he's unstoppable. But MAYBE there was a better way of saying it. Because, you know, Sanders is jewish and had family members killed in the Holocaust.

Matthews is just a scared old fuck who needs to go, along with a lot of other scared old fucks.

TBH, I'm pretty sure Bernie isn't going to get shit done as President, and at most will have one term. I voted for him in the primaries in 2016 because I didn't agree with the Bush/Clinton "dynasty," but I didn't think for a hot second he would have the cooperation of Congress to do anything he wanted. If through some miracle Dems squeak out ownership of both houses of Congress and win the presidency with Bernie as the nominee, most of the Dems there are not going to agree with Sanders on what policies should be. So by the time his term nears its end, assuming he makes it to then, We'll be back to the old pattern of Demoralized Dems and an Energized Republican base who will probably nominate Ivanka or fuck knows what.

TBH, I'm pretty sure Bernie isn't going to get shit done as President, and at most will have one term. I voted for him in the primaries in 2016 because I didn't agree with the Bush/Clinton "dynasty," but I didn't think for a hot second he would have the cooperation of Congress to do anything he wanted. If through some miracle Dems squeak out ownership of both houses of Congress and win the presidency with Bernie as the nominee, most of the Dems there are not going to agree with Sanders on what policies should be. So by the time his term nears its end, assuming he makes it to then, We'll be back to the old pattern of Demoralized Dems and an Energized Republican base who will probably nominate Ivanka or fuck knows what.
I still honestly don't think Bernie will ever be president, because the democratic leadership would rather hand the presidency back to Trump by supporting a third candidate - Bloomberg, probably - than really support Sanders.

As far as getting things done I realize that getting all or even any of what we want isn't incredibly likely. What I'm hoping for is if we can start off at Medicare for all maybe we can end up with Medicare for most. If we start with Medicare for most, we'll end up with lil' peety-care where we give up pre-existing conditions but premiums will be lowered by half a percent over the next five years or Bloomberg-care which will redefine women as "not people" and thus not eligible for healthcare.

...and three years after they enact it the GOP will get the courts to strike down M4A or whatever ends up getting passed.

If it gets passed.

Not to mention I'd rather have a dude giving it a go than someone who says "it will probably fail so I might as well just be republican-lite."

he Trump administration is practically a worst case example of how much damage the President can do without congressional approval.
I still don’t think they “approve” of what he does so much as that it serves their interests, so they allow it to continue. I think McConnell is more directly the cause of “never pass” than Trump ever was.

—Patrick

TBH, I'm pretty sure Bernie isn't going to get shit done as President, and at most will have one term. I voted for him in the primaries in 2016 because I didn't agree with the Bush/Clinton "dynasty," but I didn't think for a hot second he would have the cooperation of Congress to do anything he wanted.
Unlike Biden who will usher in a golden age of bipartisanship and effective legislation from Congress?

A Democrat presidency bogged down by an unhelpful Congress is probably going to be the norm for the rest of my life. The politics are just too strong for the Republicans for them to ever come back to effective legislating no matter who the Democrat president is.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, Bloomberg said that Russia is working on behalf of Bernie Sanders, because Russia thinks that Bernie will lose to Trump....

Has anyone looked into Bloomberg's ties to Russia? If one billionaire, misogynist, racist, real estate mogul was backed by Russia to be president, I would assume that another billionaire, misogynist, racist, real estate mogul is also on their list of allies.

So, Bloomberg said that Russia is working on behalf of Bernie Sanders, because Russia thinks that Bernie will lose to Trump....

Has anyone looked into Bloomberg's ties to Russia? If one billionaire, misogynist, racist, real estate mogul was backed by Russia to be president, I would assume that another billionaire, misogynist, racist, real estate mogul is also on their list of allies.
Well, he’s not wrong. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...a-929a-64efa7482a77_story.html?outputType=amp

As to why Russia is helping Bernie above others, who knows. My guess it’s less about can Bernie beatTrump and more about him being a more radical and polarizing candidate.

Russia's goal is not to install a president who is strong against abortion and good for the wealthy. They probably couldn't care less.
What they want is an America divided, weak on the international stage, ineffective, navel-gazing. Under Trump, America has achieved exactly diddly-squat on the international forum, letting Russia do as they please.
A polarizing candidate like Bernie - especially when weakened a bit more by being called out as a cryptocommunist who only won due to Russian interference - will achieve nothing internationally - having to focus on domestic issues and so on.
If it's a Bernie-Trump match-up, I'm pretty sure Russia wins either way. A candidate like...ugh....Biden, might actually try and restore some of America's international shine, get NATO working again, try and say things about human rights.

A polarizing candidate like Bernie - especially when weakened a bit more by being called out as a cryptocommunist who only won due to Russian interference - will achieve nothing internationally - having to focus on domestic issues and so on.
I'll just post this again since it's relevant to the international situation on healthcare:

Getting closer to the damn conservative UK opinion on it will bloody help internationally a lot.

Plus, any candidate that isn't Trump will restore the US's standing by not being an insecure narcissist that others have to dumb down any sort of explanation.

Steyer is out.

Incidentally, know who's still running? Tulsi Gabbard.
Staying in like this you'd think she's an issues candidate, except...I wouldn't have a clue what issues she cares about.
I'm curious to see what Tuesday will bring. Warren, Gabbard might well throw in the towel, and I guess Klobuchar and Buttigieg might as well, too, if they don't outperform their polling. Name recognition for future top spot has been achieved, one would think. I really can't tell how it'll all shape up and what will happen with Bloomberg. Please please please let him seriously underperform.

Choosing between Sanders and Trump would be a disaster

It's this sort of opinion I think we'll be seeing a lot more of...and which will hand Trump the election, because it'll properly scare away all moderate voters from the democratic party. And/or warm them up for a third party bid by someone with enough money *cough*Bloomberg*cough*.
Idiots, idiots, idiots.
Democrats ran that candidate in 2016. She lost and now we're dealing with that fallout.