Export thread

Debbie Spend-It-Now

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

www.debbiespenditnow.com
This is a thing that aired during the Superbowl, here in America, for an election to actual, real political office for someone that will make decisions of how to do things for hundreds of millions of people.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeswe'veheardofher.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wow... That's some fine racism right there.

Dave

Dave

I totally missed this. Interesting but in the end it's a publicity stunt that will do nothing.

Tress

Tress

Why win over voters with ideas and charm when you can just make vague implications of an enemy takeover and racist stereotypes?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why win over voters with ideas and charm when you can just make vague implications of an enemy takeover and racist stereotypes?
Is China viewed by people as an enemy? I always thought they were our ally.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

To people of a certain age, they were, are, and always will be an enemy. They haven't been allies of any sort since WW II.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A lot of people see the Chinese as economic enemies, if not military enemies. It's been hard for some communities to deal with losing their businesses to China and it's a lot easier for members of the Right to blame foreigners than it is to blame the Free Market. It's one of the reasons the "Made in America" label is making a comeback.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

www.debbiespenditnow.com
This is a thing that aired during the Superbowl, here in America, for an election to actual, real political office for someone that will make decisions of how to do things for hundreds of millions of people.
I appreciate you laying it out as real, because this is the kind of site I'd expect Pierce to have on Community.

Gared

Gared

A lot of people see the Chinese as economic enemies, if not military enemies. It's been hard for some communities to deal with losing their businesses to China and it's a lot easier for members of the Right to blame foreigners than it is to blame the Free Market. It's one of the reasons the "Made in America" label is making a comeback.
Now if only we could actually get some of those label making jobs back in America. I kid, I kid (mostly).

Krisken

Krisken

Wait, is that real?

Tress

Tress

Wait, is that real?
Sadly, yes.

Krisken

Krisken

That's disappointing.

Espy

Espy

That's disappointing.
And depressing! Just when you thought American politics couldn't get dumber...

Gared

Gared

American politics can always get dumber.

phil

phil

American politics can always get dumber.
One time I saw American politics post on Facebook that they were going too the store. I was all like "hey man, it's to, not too," to which it replied "its all the same, your a idiot"

fuckin' politics, man.

Balkoth

politics can always get dumber.
fixed that for you :)

Terrik

Terrik

Hey, they're using traditional form of 钱·. This is clearly aimed at Taiwan, and not China. I'm looking at you Bhamv.

Also, this is incredibly stupid.

Wahad

Wahad

I followed a course on International Relations of China last year and this topic (China as an economic power taking over the US via debt owed) came up. This was the video we were shown:

Not sure if these guys are behind the above site but I think they'd support it at least.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hey, they're using traditional form of 钱·. This is clearly aimed at Taiwan, and not China. I'm looking at you Bhamv.

Also, this is incredibly stupid.
DAMMIT! The cat's out of the bag now, it's the Taiwanese and not the Chinese who are going to take over the world. Thanks a lot, Debbie whoeveryouare.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Reminder that this was not made by The Onion.

Tress

Tress

This all reminds me of the panic about Japan taking over the US economy back in the 80's/early 90's.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Then there is the whole 60 year old state of war between our two nations.

Tress

Tress

Okay, that's overstating it a bit much.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Then there was that thing in 1989 that never happened.

We've been political rivals for a long time. And we were in armed conflict with China 60 years ago. Just recently with the continued push to send American Jobs and Factories to China that they have started to become economic rivals.

However, this ad is quite a jaw dropping piece of racist paranoia.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Reminder that this was not made by The Onion.
It really is the kind of thing you'd expect to see on Literally Unbelievable.

Terrik

Terrik

Then there was that thing in 1989 that never happened.

We've been political rivals for a long time. And we were in armed conflict with China 60 years ago. Just recently with the continued push to send American Jobs and Factories to China that they have started to become economic rivals.

However, this ad is quite a jaw dropping piece of racist paranoia.
Oddly enough most China-American relations analysts concede there are no real major ideological differences between the two.

Krisken

Krisken

They both display racist paranoia?

Terrik

Terrik

Works for me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sure, USA and China have long been rivals, but I always saw it as being because they're the two biggest dudes around. They have a grudging respect despite different views on how shit should go down, but when aliens invade they'd totally go back to back in an awesome kung fu battle.*

*I should point out that the only things I know about China, I learned from wuxia movies.

Terrik

Terrik

Worked for Firefly, didn't it?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It really is the kind of thing you'd expect to see on Literally Unbelievable.
dammit, I just spent an hour rolling through several pages....

Fun Size

Fun Size

Worst part: I'm in Michigan, and have seen this posted to Facebook with a "He's got my vote.\Totally nailed it.\What's the big deal?" type comments.

As I put it, it must have been disappointing to the director that he couldn't find a buck-toothed guy with a pony tail and Fu Man Chu mustache who would wear one of those cone hats. Relying on subtle racism is such a pain.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

There was nothing subtle about that!

Fun Size

Fun Size

I was being sarcastic.

But to the people who support this, they believe it's subtle enough to claim that it's not racist, which to me just kind of spells out how racist they actually are.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Blaming Stabenow for 40 years of United States Foreign policy is quite stupid.

Krisken

Krisken

Blaming Stabenow for 40 years of United States Foreign policy is quite stupid.
All I could think was "Welcome to politics. Mind you don't trip over the dead body of Reason while you are here."

ElJuski

ElJuski

suckee peepee five dolla

Terrik

Terrik

suckee peepee five dolla
Depends, are you clean?

GasBandit

GasBandit

But to the people who support this, they believe it's subtle enough to claim that it's not racist, which to me just kind of spells out how racist they actually are.

Krisken

Krisken

Somebody missed the point of that song.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Somebody missed the point of that song.
Nobody I know.

Eriol

Eriol

Why is going "other nation bad" always considered racist? A number of people in this thread have done it. Yes certain nations (usually not new-world) are usually fairly mono-ethnic, but I still think it's a legitimate question on whenever somebody says "watch out for X nation" they're automatically accused of "you're racist." "Nation-ist" (if that's a word, more often "patriot" IMO) but how is it racism? It certainly can slip into that easily, but how is it by default?

blotsfan

blotsfan

The fact that she's speaking very broken english doesn't help.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And China has cars now...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why is going "other nation bad" always considered racist? A number of people in this thread have done it. Yes certain nations (usually not new-world) are usually fairly mono-ethnic, but I still think it's a legitimate question on whenever somebody says "watch out for X nation" they're automatically accused of "you're racist." "Nation-ist" (if that's a word, more often "patriot" IMO) but how is it racism? It certainly can slip into that easily, but how is it by default?
Outline for subroutine "isitracist()"

Are you white?
Yes:goto next
No:return(NotRacist);

Are they white?
Yes:return(NotRacist)
No:goto next;

Is humor involved?
Yes:return(RACIST!)

Is it a discussion about the underlying causes of economic disparity?
Yes:return(RACIST!)

Is it nothing but complete, unadulterated praise that contains no negativity or realism whatsoever?
Yes:return(NotRacist)
No:return(RACIST!);

end.

ElJuski

ElJuski

um not really

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't know how to read that code bullshit, but I just assumed GasBandit posted something dumb about how minorities are the true racists

GasBandit

GasBandit

STFU Charlie and Charlie.

Krisken

Krisken

In Gas world, racism isn't a problem.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In Gas world, racism isn't a problem.
No, actual racism IS a problem. Being professionally offended is also a problem, but in a very different way.

Necronic

Necronic

I think in Gas world, racism is a complicated issue that can actually be exacerbated or illustrated by excessive political correctness. I think 30 Rock actually handles a lot of this stuff quite well.

Edit: Ninja posting is also a valuable skill in Gas world.

Krisken

Krisken

And I think it's just as dangerous to make excuses for behavior like that exhibited in the political ad as it is to act out the racism in other ways. There is a huge difference between the Avenue Q thing, which makes the point you two are making, and what is going on in the political ad. One is mild and pokes fun at racial stereotypes that we all have ingrained in us, the other plays on fears to exploit a stupid populous and perpetuate that fear.

I find it sad that people can't see that difference.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think in Gas world, racism is a complicated issue that can actually be exacerbated or illustrated by excessive political correctness. I think 30 Rock actually handles a lot of this stuff quite well.
Actually, in Gas world, gravity of incredible severity crushes everything deep in a smothering blanket of opaque fog and storm. So.. uh.. I guess Krisken was right, racism isn't really an issue there.

And I think it's just as dangerous to make excuses for behavior like that exhibited in the political ad as it is to act out the racism in other ways. There is a huge difference between the Avenue Q thing, which makes the point you two are making, and what is going on in the political ad. One is mild and pokes fun at racial stereotypes that we all have ingrained in us, the other plays on fears to exploit a stupid populous and perpetuate that fear.

I find it sad that people can't see that difference.
I think Eriol is right - you guys are mixing racism with nationalism.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't see it that way. While the overtones are definitely nationalist in nature, the undertones are to play on fears of people who are different. When that shit will have an impact on people at home, it's no longer just nationalism. Think back to how the Japanese citizens here were treated during WW2 to get an idea of how this kind of thing isn't just nationalist in nature, but racist as well.

Necronic

Necronic

Actually I can't watch videos at work so i have no idea what's in either video, I'm just making a general statement.

But for specifics one thing I remember from the '08 elections was a conversation I had with my brother who is a hardcore liberal. He had just written a piece for some leftist political website and it referenced the supposed underlying theme of racism in the campaigns. I hadn't seen any of this (aside from the wingnuts of course), and when he described the argument to me I didn't see any racism, just political criticism. He wanted to see racism so that he could discredit his opponents on this point instead of having to answer the actual statements themselves. It is simply easier to attack the arguer than the argument.

The whole issue is delicate and difficult and we all have to be aware what we are doing, even the white knights (is it racist that the white knights are the good guys?)

I think a good lesson in this can be found here:

I want to tell you a story. I want you to create the picture in your minds eye. I want you to think about it. This is a story about a corrupt politician. He used his position of influence and power as unethical leverage in many areas. He took illegal payments from companys and lobbiests in a quid-pro-quo system. He used unethical practices in his campaigns to subvert the opposition voters. He maintained multiple affairs with members of his staff. He used his contacts to cover up crimes committed by friends and family, possibly even going so far as to have committed manslaughter and have it covered up. He used his inside knowledge and abilities to get favorable contracts for his business partners and made vast sums of money. He wore a smile as he lied to his constituency about his actions and his motivations.

He is the lecherous washington fatcat and moral black hole that is the embodyment of so much that is wrong with this country. I want you to imagine his plastic smile, overgroomed hair, and dead eyes. I want you to picture this politician in your mind.

Now I want you to imagine that he's black.

Krisken

Krisken

And that has nothing to do with a majority of politicians in Washington being male and white, of course.

As soon as you said "now picture him black" I saw Charlie Rangel.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I swear that I'm not uh. Just trying to be too cool and subvertin your thing there, but I honestly pictured the patriarch of the Ford Family in TN politics that did a lot of that crazy scummy stuff all up in Nashville. The matriarch of the family was famously riding in a limosine back from State Senate on the interstate, and a car was following her too close, so she came up out of the sunroof and fired a pistol at the other motorist. No one was hurt, and of course she didn't go to jail or anything.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I want you to think of a guy from Scandinavia.

No, he's black, you fucking racist.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I just get sick of this "is this racist" conversation from people that have only truly witnessed black (or any minority) culture through a safe distance or television lens. Context is everything, and the truly racist don't have depth of context as much as they have rationale for their judgment. This comes from an academic perspective, too, as I think a bunch of entitled white kids picking apart minority culture from the distance of a classroom can be just as disconcerting (although it's a "better" start, I guess?). And obviously this can work the other way around, too, although I find that to be less of a problem because male white culture has been pretty much the norm for thousands of years.

So why do I think Gas' stupid little Basic bullshit is wrong? Being "edgy" is not an excuse for being ignorant, or lazy. And usually lazy mockery simply comes from a shallow understanding, hence, ignorance.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What is a minority culture? Doesn't that just rely on stereotypes? Or is it considered economic rather than ethnic?

I ask this because until I got to college I really didn't notice much of this stuff. Not because I never experienced people of different races, but because that was a lot of what I knew. My school was not white-majority. I was the only white kid at my lunch table and the guys I hung out with there were black, Arab, and Hispanic. That didn't even occur to me until well after I graduated. The only time race issues seemed to ever come up was when one asshole tried to blow up another kid's house--which is pretty fucking extreme. You'd think there would be some under-current, some foundation racist stuff, and hell, maybe the high school's changed since I graduated, but I lived in a very mixed community. People were just people.

Now where I live, there's a very visible dividing line, and largely the race lines of area fall where they do because of economics. My wife and I still live in a mixed community where white is not the majority though. That's what we can afford and I honestly wouldn't want to live around the local yuppies anyway. People seem to get along here, even when they can barely speak each other's language.

But I've never been to Texas, so maybe Gassy knows something I don't.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I mean, we live in the same area these days, so I'm sure you see the same thing, and yeah, I would think economics has a lot to do with it, but socialization does, too. Different groups of people create different cultures, and these come up in racial, economic, geographic lines--among others. There's a slight difference in making a joke about carryout and mumbo sauce, for instance, versus saying, "Black people loooooove dat dere KFC! A hyuck hyuck!"

I think, too, the more I mull it over, is that it's not racist if it offers up conversation between these various lines, versus simply shouting something over it, if you catch my drift.
Added at: 13:49
Also, and I'm not implying anyone is, but being able to count off how many black or Mexican or Chinese friends doesn't count. I had a pretty interesting conversation with one of my students about why saying "no homo" was lazy and stupid. His big thing was, "But I know a bunch of gay dudes, so it's okay", to which my response was, "Okay to who?"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, and I'm not implying anyone is, but being able to count off how many black or Mexican or Chinese friends doesn't count. I had a pretty interesting conversation with one of my students about why saying "no homo" was lazy and stupid. His big thing was, "But I know a bunch of gay dudes, so it's okay", to which my response was, "Okay to who?"
No one's doing "I'm not racist, my friend is black" here--the conversation is going on about what racism is. I was just giving some background on why I asked. I just think that sometimes when people are laying down those lines, they think they saw a culture based on race, when really they're seeing one based on income.

The ad in the OP is trying to attack stuff with economics, but is painting it all over with racism.

ElJuski

ElJuski

ALSO AND I'M NOT IMPLYING ANYONE IS

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Stop calling everyone a racist, you racist.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've totally got gay and black friends.

And I'm hebrew to boot, so suck on that (no homo).

Krisken

Krisken

I've totally got gay and black friends.

And I'm hebrew to boot, so suck on that (no homo).
I had a gay black friend. That's a two-fer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had a gay black friend. That's a two-fer.
But was he in the KKK?

So why do I think Gas' stupid little Basic bullshit is wrong? Being "edgy" is not an excuse for being ignorant, or lazy. And usually lazy mockery simply comes from a shallow understanding, hence, ignorance.
And yet Jon Stewart is the most revered news source on the internet.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

John Stewart is revered because, despite what his critics say, he shows an insightful sophistication when dealing with his guests that other hosts lack... and he does it without calling them monsters or unamerican, which is something his "rivals" can't go a day without doing. He's also able to trounce even notoriously hard interviews like Bill O'Reily without sinking to their level.

It's just that he does it between the dick and fart jokes.

Necronic

Necronic

Haven't looked at this thread since last friday, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this then:

Gas world is primarily composed of hot air.

I don't really believe you're a windbag Gas but it was way to easy

GasBandit

GasBandit

Haven't looked at this thread since last friday, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this then:

Gas world is primarily composed of hot air.

I don't really believe you're a windbag Gas but it was way to easy
Hot, TOXIC air.

Krisken

Krisken

But was he in the KKK?

And yet Jon Stewart is the most revered news source on the internet.
I was going to say I also had a friend who was Asian and gay, but to be honest you can't throw a stone without hitting one of those.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was going to say I also had a friend who was Asian and gay, but...
... but then Zack Galifananakagnazaazbapapis locked him in a trunk and impounded the car?

Covar

Covar

I was going to say I also had a friend who was Asian and gay, but to be honest you can't throw a stone without hitting one of those.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

gaysian, imo

Krisken

Krisken

... but then Zack Galifananakagnazaazbapapis locked him in a trunk and impounded the car?
Sorry, I don't follow.

ElJuski

ElJuski

John Stewart is a talented comedian, and John Stewart himself will say how fucking sad it is that most people get politiliterate from a comedy show.

Krisken

Krisken

Even sadder would be his viewers are (on average) better informed than any of the people following the cable news shows. Of course, that's in Jersey, so results may vary.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm pretty sure that's a national thing.

Tress

Tress

I find The Daily Show is much funnier when I am familiar with the stories they lampoon ahead of time. I think that's a big factor. People aren't informed because of The Daily Show; rather, people who watch to the show come into it more informed from the get-go.

Krisken

Krisken

It might be, but it states specifically "A new survey of New Jersey voters".

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sorry, I don't follow.
The plot of the Hangover has an effeminate asian man very angry about being locked in a trunk overnight, having been discovered after getting the car out of impound the next day.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's cool that you're equating effeminate with gay

GasBandit

GasBandit

STFU Charlie

Krisken

Krisken

::Is really starting to hate that forum meme::

ElJuski

ElJuski

it's pretty boring and dated, like most of the Halforum memes.

PatrThom

PatrThom

it's pretty boring and dated, like most of the Halforum memes.
I read that in the cultured voice of Homer Simpson. It went quite well.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's pretty boring and dated, like most ... memes.

Mathias

Mathias

it's cool that you're equating effeminate with gay

He's not gay. So Gas 100% correct.

Now who's the gay hater?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

did you read the exchange between krisken/gas or

Krisken

Krisken

He's not gay. So Gas 100% correct.

Now who's the gay hater?

Mathias

Mathias

did you read the exchange between krisken/gas or
In the movie. Leslie Chou is not gay. He's effeminate, but not gay.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Krisken said:
I was going to say I also had a friend who was Asian and gay, but...
gasbandit said:

Krisken

Krisken

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't get it... the picture at all.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was going to say I also had a friend who was Asian and gay, but...... but then Zack Galifananakagnazaazbapapis locked him in a trunk and impounded the car?
... and then he wasn't gay anymore...?

Krisken

Krisken

I don't get it... the picture at all.
Can't tell if kidding.

ElJuski

ElJuski

the funniest part is that Zach Galifinakis has a really long last name.

GasBandit

GasBandit

the funniest part is that Zach Galifinakis has a really long last name.
That was actually the main thrust of the joke, but then you-kn0w-who had to come along.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can't tell if kidding.
should have added,

broken img
Added at: 16:18
Great, now you guys are stooping to ethnic jokes about him being Greek...

ElJuski

ElJuski

well you know Halforums, always at the cutting edge of comedy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

should have added,

broken img
Added at: 16:18
Great, now you guys are stooping to ethnic jokes about him being Greek...
Odd, the images worked for me.

And greeks suck worse than a ηλεκτρική σκούπα.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline...oekstra-senate-campaign-deeply-174450793.html

She took green money to take part in the Yellow Scare. Now she is sorry.

Overflight

So I just saw this ad via Cracked...

...the fact that this aired makes me sad.

fade

fade

It is mildly racist. Mildly, sure, but definitely. Your psuedocode doesn't work for me, Gas, because they could've easy made the exact same point without broken English and a bicycle. The fact that she spoke without an accent made it even worse, making me think of blackface. What makes it racist is the obvious implication that the "chinese" aspect of her character are supposed to be taken as negatives.