Coronavirus Thread

Ok I'm gonna confess that I'm a bit selfish. My girlfriend is a teacher and New York Schools are opening. Her district's superintendent literally said that he wouldn't send his children or grandchildren to school but they aren't going to go online-only.

I'm glad these schools are doing so badly since it might get the governor to change his mind about ours before they open.

Monday's gonna be fun (NOT).

Two districts SE of me (one of which I used to drop kids off at a school not connected to their district) are opening Whole Hog on the 17th. There have apparently been numerous mass resignations by teachers over safety - and considering what I posted up-thread about no county in the state meeting lower benchmarks for in-person learning, this might also not be copacetic with AZDOE standards.

Of course, being the POS Republican State we are, Ducey's office is claiming that the benchmarks were "guidelines."

The other reason why Monday's NOT gonna be fun is a bit more personal: MPS is going to open 26 of our 82 schools as "On-site Support Centers" for certain students.

From the website:
The intention of the Governor's Executive Order is that the district serve the more vulnerable students in our district, such as children of first responders, children in DCS custody, students with disabilities, students lacking adequate technology at home to participate in distance learning, and any student needing a safe place to participate in remote learning during school hours.

Students must be previously registered with the district at their regular school of attendance to be eligible to register for on-site learning centers.

Registration will be taken until the site is filled.
In essence, this will turn these 26 schools (of which 17 are located on the west side of Mesa - the hardest hit section of the city in terms of COVID) into child care facilities.

Since no transportation will be provided, I won't be driving kids anywhere. But guess who's going to be "staffing" these sites? Hint: not teachers.

Centers will be staffed with paraprofessionals and other hourly support staff to supervise students and assist them with logging on to remote learning.
Guess what "other hourly support staff" means.

In other news, I'm waiting to hear which school I get assigned to. With my luck, I'd end up at Riverview or Superstition. :rage:

Dave

Staff member
Just got this from my work:

X University received reports during the week beginning August 2, 2020, of three employees who work on our campus that have tested positive for COVID-19. At this time, it does not appear that the three cases are connected to one another. All of the employees and X University officials acted quickly and appropriate protocols based on guidelines from the CDC and the state health department have been followed. This entailed removing the individuals from campus, notifying those they may have been in contact with, and disinfection of the involved work areas.

Please note, if you are known to have had direct exposure to either individual in any capacity, we have already contacted you directly and offered additional guidance.
But...they also don't say who the fuck it was! Did I have contact with them? Don't know. I've gone into campus a few times but made sure to stay 1,000 feet away from anyone.

On another note, while tutoring last night, a 7 year old kid coughed right onto my hand as I gathered some of his paperwork. Like, I was reaching and he just exploded on me. Was he wearing a mask? Of course not. I instantly slathered my hands with sanitizer before I touched anything else, but who knows where else those droplets hit. Fucking hell.

They're not supposed to say who they were - privacy and avoiding scapegoating and all that. That's what contact tracing is for, in a perfect world they've contacted everyone who's been in contact with them over the past two weeks. In this world, they may have sent mails to 1/2 of their contacts.

figmentPez

Staff member
God dammit Texas...

Texas is not tracking coronavirus data in the classroom as schools reopen

"As schools across Texas open their doors, the state is currently not tracking COVID-19 data provided by districts.
"In a statement, the Texas Education Agency, the body that oversees both primary and secondary public education, said they are in active discussions on the idea of COVID-19 data collection from schools and if they will provide that information to the public."

Local ISDs may be tracking the information on their own, and they have to report to health departments, but nothing is being tracked state-wide when it comes to schools.

What I don't get about these anti-mask bozos is that there doesn't need to be a law for a business to require them to wear a mask. There isn't a law saying I have to wear a shirt or shoes to the store but that's why they have the sign saying no shoes no shirt no service. A business could theoretically require me to dress up in a pinstripe tuxedo if they really wanted me to, they probably wouldn't get a lot of business but they can require it.

Last edited:
What I don't get about these anti-mask bozos is that there doesn't need to be a law for a business to require them to wear a mask. There isn't a law saying I have to wear a shirt or shoes to the store but that's why they have the sign saying no shoes no shirt no service. A business could theoretically require me to dress up in a pinstripe tuxedo if they really wanted me to, they probably wouldn't get a lot of business but they can require it.
I've been to really nice restaurants that required a dinner jacket for entry. As long as they're not discriminating against a protected class, they can require whatever the fuck they want.

figmentPez

Staff member
In understanding Boomer, and older, mentality when it comes to deaths from the coronavirus, I think it's important to realize the dramatic change in child mortality rates over the last 70 years.

In 1950, in the United States, 4% of children died before the age of 5. Granted, this is skewed by a much higher mortality rate among minorities and the poor, so your white, middle-class Boomer didn't have to run a 1 in 25 gauntlet to make it to age 5, but child death was still al lot more common then than the 0.7% rate in 2015.

The idea that 1% of the population could die from something is so normal to them that they don't even question when someone lies about it being inevitable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some tools for talking to turbochristians who think that not wearing a mask is a testament to their faith:

Proverbs 27: [12] A prudent man sees danger and hides himself; but the simple go on, and suffer for it.
Luke 4:12 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'
Nehemiah 4:9 "So they prayed to the Lord and posted a guard"

Even the Bible tells you to not be a dumbass. Otherwise looking both ways before crossing the street is "lack of faith."

Some tools for talking to turbochristians who think that not wearing a mask is a testament to their faith:

Proverbs 27: [12] A prudent man sees danger and hides himself; but the simple go on, and suffer for it.
Luke 4:12 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'
Nehemiah 4:9 "So they prayed to the Lord and posted a guard"

Even the Bible tells you to not be a dumbass. Otherwise looking both ways before crossing the street is "lack of faith."
9CFD436B-9EC9-491F-A513-09D8FEB0318A-67882-000067ABFDFC68B5.jpg

Edit: I'm sorry I made evangelicals the black guy.

Trump eyes new unproven coronavirus "cure"

The new scam? Oleandrin, an oleander extract, AKA poison. The manufacturers are pushing to get it okayed as a "dietary supplement" so that it can be sold over the counter. But, same as last time, there's no real proof that it works, and lots of evidence that it can harm.
I'm still pissed they looked at Famotidine for a hot minute with a study, some rich fucks got wind of it and bought up massive stockpiles to sell, so now people who get it prescription (like me) have to pay out of pocket for the less effective OTC name brand until the supply chain fixes itself (which I'm being told is MAYBE December at the earliest).

I'm still pissed they looked at Famotidine for a hot minute with a study, some rich fucks got wind of it and bought up massive stockpiles to sell, so now people who get it prescription (like me) have to pay out of pocket for the less effective OTC name brand until the supply chain fixes itself (which I'm being told is MAYBE December at the earliest).
You know, I wondered where all the tummy pills had gone. Omeprazole, Famotidine, etc.

--Patrick

You know, I wondered where all the tummy pills had gone. Omeprazole, Famotidine, etc.

--Patrick
Except in my case it's a less a "tummy" pill and more a "I'm going to throw up everything i eat because my body produces too much acid and if I try to sleep without this, I'm ether coughing up stuff all night or just out right throwing up" pill. And now I can't get my day long slow release med because someone wanted to try and corner the market.

Capitalism has victims, folks.

Putting my mask back on after eating a large plate of Mexican seafood was not very pleasant.
While driving in my car, I drank a soda rather quickly. I stopped the car, threw on my mask, and as I was getting out of the car a burp escaped me. The carbonated air got blocked by the mask and went right up my nose. It stung so bad. :Leyla:

GasBandit

Staff member
While driving in my car, I drank a soda rather quickly. I stopped the car, threw on my mask, and as I was getting out of the car a burp escaped me. The carbonated air got blocked by the mask and went right up my nose. It stung so bad. :Leyla:
It's like a reverse-dutch-oven!

I'm on the verge of throwing my hands up.

We're in a position where new cases are starting to slow here in the Valley - but they haven't stopped.

Oh, but sure, we can reopen schools and - yes, it will happen starting tonight - even my church is going back to "regathering" at our five campuses.

Ok I'm gonna confess that I'm a bit selfish. My girlfriend is a teacher and New York Schools are opening. Her district's superintendent literally said that he wouldn't send his children or grandchildren to school but they aren't going to go online-only.

I'm glad these schools are doing so badly since it might get the governor to change his mind about ours before they open.
Buffalo Public Schools superintendent has said he's going to recommend online only for at least the first 6 weeks.

Well, to be fair, 100% fucking is what dorms are known for.
When I lived in the dorms, it felt like everyone was getting laid except me. And I had a girlfriend.

Also I went to grad school at a Catholic university, and though I didn't live in the dorms, I heard stories about how rampant debauchery still managed to take place in the dorms. This was despite there being curfews, and security cameras everywhere, and Sisters patrolling the corridors...

The fact that colleges were allowed to reopen dorms is 100% going to fuck us all.

Remember when we thought it was the elementary schools that were going to be the hotbeds of transmission because it's the 5-10yr olds who are the "most irresponsible?"

--Patrick