Coronavirus Thread

The initial 2 took Sarah down for the count both times and the booster for her was no issue. I'm not able to book mine yet.

I'm rocking Moderna for all three, so this is going to be interesting.
Also had Moderna for all three. I had a pretty rough time with the second shot, stayed in bed most of the weekend. Had the same side effects from the booster, just not as severe. Felt kind of shitty the next day, but nothing too bad.

And sister now has teh covid. In her words "like a really shitty cold." She's vaccinated, so hoping this is just going to a mild annoyance.

Oddly other then some watery eyes a few minutes after my first dose, I never had any intense side effects other then weird ass dreams the night I got the shot. Both doses I dreamed the most crazy wakeful dreams I remember having in years. Was Moderna both times.

Going to get my booster on the 11th, was the earliest time they had open for me around here unless I wanted to drive five hours away.

Just had my first ever PCR test. I was really nervous because my self tests have all been horrible and uncomfortable and painful and everyone said the pcr tests were worse... But this went so much better? I'll take one like this over a self test any day!

Just had my first ever PCR test. I was really nervous because my self tests have all been horrible and uncomfortable and painful and everyone said the pcr tests were worse... But this went so much better? I'll take one like this over a self test any day!
The Hotgen self tests? How far are you sticking them in?

Well, I think it's Roche here, but yeah - about 2.5cm like it says? The first time my wife did it and it was absolutely horrible, she seemed to really reach a block. When I did it myself afterwards, it's like there's a bend or a partial blockage, it's hard to get around and super uncomfortable. The PCR test just slid right past, it was a bit more flexible I think.

So the epidemic prevention strategy in Taiwan, as I might have mentioned in the past, is mainly based on catching all cases of COVID at the border and not allowing any of them to come in and cause community infections. This has generally worked well, aside from a blip last year that cause a four-month partial lockdown. Except nowadays we're seeing surprisingly large numbers of infected people fly into Taiwan; where previously we might see, for example, fewer than 15 incoming cases in any given day, today we had 58. This might be due to Omicron being more infectious, or it might be because some other countries are not implementing their prevention measures very rigorously. And with so many incoming infected, it was only a matter of time before something got through and caused local infections.

And that's what happened. Over the last week or so we've seen some local infections, around four or five a day, mainly clustered around the international airport. The government's doing everything it can to track the cases and the people they've had contact with, but the Minister of Health and Welfare admitted that there's a chance Omicron is in our communities now.

The bright side is that so far we haven't seen an increase in the number of local infections, which suggests that the government's been doing well at tracking and quarantining the infected individuals. Last year the number of infected roughly doubled daily until it exploded out of control, and we haven't seen that happen so far. Furthermore, we have experience with bringing a COVID outbreak under control now, so we all pretty much know what to expect. And our full vaccination rate has hit roughly 70%, which is pretty good.

The less bright side is that Chinese New Year is coming up, which traditionally involves a bunch of people traveling home for the holidays, and that's a nation-wide super-spreader event just waiting to happen.

So the epidemic prevention strategy in Taiwan, as I might have mentioned in the past, is mainly based on catching all cases of COVID at the border and not allowing any of them to come in and cause community infections. This has generally worked well, aside from a blip last year that cause a four-month partial lockdown. Except nowadays we're seeing surprisingly large numbers of infected people fly into Taiwan; where previously we might see, for example, fewer than 15 incoming cases in any given day, today we had 58. This might be due to Omicron being more infectious, or it might be because some other countries are not implementing their prevention measures very rigorously. And with so many incoming infected, it was only a matter of time before something got through and caused local infections.

And that's what happened. Over the last week or so we've seen some local infections, around four or five a day, mainly clustered around the international airport. The government's doing everything it can to track the cases and the people they've had contact with, but the Minister of Health and Welfare admitted that there's a chance Omicron is in our communities now.

The bright side is that so far we haven't seen an increase in the number of local infections, which suggests that the government's been doing well at tracking and quarantining the infected individuals. Last year the number of infected roughly doubled daily until it exploded out of control, and we haven't seen that happen so far. Furthermore, we have experience with bringing a COVID outbreak under control now, so we all pretty much know what to expect. And our full vaccination rate has hit roughly 70%, which is pretty good.

The less bright side is that Chinese New Year is coming up, which traditionally involves a bunch of people traveling home for the holidays, and that's a nation-wide super-spreader event just waiting to happen.
Yeah, you guys are getting world fucked. We all gave up and now it's your problem.

Assuming my PCR test I took today comes back negative (I have no symptoms so I expect it to) I will have not gotten it despite sharing a bed for several days with a covid-positive person. I really don't want it, but even just the constant fakeouts are brutal.

I also suspect that if I was single, I would effectively be a shut-in at this point besides work. I haven't had a desire to go to anything this whole week that she's been stuck in our bedroom.

Jun and I got our boosters while she was up here to visit. Moderna for all 3 as well. It hit me pretty hard again but it hit Jun worse. She fainted the next morning, again (she had an episode when she got shot #2). Almost took her to the ER (again), but she had the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension and I was able to help her relieve it. She felt worse off than I did, and I'm not sure I'd recommend her getting a 4th booster, even if it was recommended in the future. She seems to be a part of the very small subset of people who have an extremely adverse reaction to the vaccine.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jun and I got our boosters while she was up here to visit. Moderna for all 3 as well. It hit me pretty hard again but it hit Jun worse. She fainted the next morning, again (she had an episode when she got shot #2). Almost took her to the ER (again), but she had the symptoms of orthostatic hypotension and I was able to help her relieve it. She felt worse off than I did, and I'm not sure I'd recommend her getting a 4th booster, even if it was recommended in the future. She seems to be a part of the very small subset of people who have an extremely adverse reaction to the vaccine.
Man, that's rough. As for me, my booster waited about 24 hours to get to me. I was fine most of the day, maybe a little stiff and sore, and then right at the 24 hour mark (which was ~4pm) fatigue washed over me like a tide, my joints locked up and I looked like a zombie movie extra shambling my way to bed. By the next morning I was OK again though, if a little stiff and sore still.

Novak Djokovic thinks he should have a medical exemption to enter Australia without being vaccinated due to a positive Covid test on 16th December. This is him on the 17th December:

Fuck 'im.

Assuming my PCR test I took today comes back negative (I have no symptoms so I expect it to) I will have not gotten it despite sharing a bed for several days with a covid-positive person. I really don't want it, but even just the constant fakeouts are brutal.
Negative. Absolutely no idea how I didn't get it. I do feel a bit bad for my fiancee though. Tomorrow makes it a week since she left our bedroom and she's getting pretty sick of it.

I've been masking up, but nobody in this redneck town has given me any shit about it yet. Maybe because of the recent changes to the concealed carry law ;)

Is there such a thing as a positive comedy of errors?

So over a week ago, my son broke his arm. Not a huge fracture, but enough to need a cast for a few weeks. Because of that, we had to cancel going to a birthday party this last Friday with one of the kids in our bubble play group, as they were going to have the party somewhere my son would be unable to play. We made a deal to instead meet up today and go mini-golfing, just us and the family from the bubble group.

This morning as we were doing chores and such, the mother of the birthday kid called us before the mini-golf time, their other kid has a fever of 103. Did a rapid test, COVID positive. They are all going into quarantine.

If my son didn't break his arm, we would have gone to the birthday event last Friday with that family. Phew.

GasBandit

Staff member
My best friend's wife just got sick, and tested positive, here two weeks to the day after an extremely ill-advised xmas get together. Well, the get-together itself wasn't so bad, but for some bizarre reason she wanted everybody to participate in some sort of party game that involved putting 30+ votive candles single file with prizes to the side, and you could get a prize from however far you could blow out candles from one end of the table. So yeah... buncha people just spittly-exhaling across a table at all the other people, over and over again. I even remarked that I couldn't think of a more efficient way to make sure we all caught everything everybody has. I didn't say covid, because it seemed like this was a great way to pass the flu, strep, colds, ANYTHING. She just rolled her eyes.

She's fully vaxxed and boosted, and I guess that made her feel like the pandemic is over and things can get back to normal INSTANTLY NOW.

I don't know how I dodged that bullet, I was at the gathering for a few hours and wasn't boosted at the time. I've often wondered if I've been an asymptomatic carrier at some point.

I was just called into an hour-long meeting in an enclosed room with a representative from a client, and the representative had recently come back to Taiwan from a European country with not-great COVID rates, and she kept coughing and rasping in the meeting. I mean, chances are she doesn't have it because everyone who comes into Taiwan needs to quarantine and test negative, but still, it was unnerving.

I was just called into an hour-long meeting in an enclosed room with a representative from a client, and the representative had recently come back to Taiwan from a European country with not-great COVID rates, and she kept coughing and rasping in the meeting. I mean, chances are she doesn't have it because everyone who comes into Taiwan needs to quarantine and test negative, but still, it was unnerving.
Studies are showing Omikron evades detection the first few days more often than not,and it's usually only detectable after symptoms have started.
She may well have it and test negative.
Or she can have a dozen other issues - a flight from Europe to Taiwan is bound to have an unpleasant effect on throat and nose.

Studies are showing Omikron evades detection the first few days more often than not,and it's usually only detectable after symptoms have started.
She may well have it and test negative.
Or she can have a dozen other issues - a flight from Europe to Taiwan is bound to have an unpleasant effect on throat and nose.
Theoretically her flight would've been at least 14 days ago though. That's a long time for effects from the flight to be lingering in the respiratory system.

Anywho, there isn't really much I can do, so I'm gonna just sit here and stew in my anxiety over the situation, and maybe move myself to the guest bedroom for now.

Also, coughing is not the main symptom of the Omicron variant. Instead, it’s sore throat, runny nose, headache, and fatigue. Your client probably has a run-of-the-mill cold.