Coronavirus Thread

Yes. Intent is what makes it Terrorism. You have to be intentionally acting to "intimidate" the population into submission and unless we have proof this individual was doing so or doing this on behalf of a group with such aims, it's not terrorism. That doesn't make this "okay", but terrorism does have a very strict legal definition in the United States.
By that definition, practically no terror acts are terrorism.

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives"
So by definition it isn't terorrism if it isn't violent. Huh. Ok. But otherwise, I'd say this definitely qualifies as trying to intimidate or coerce a government or a segment of the population for political goals.

Terrorism is a crime of motivation and intent. If he's claiming that he did it to prevent the drugs from "changing people's DNA" then it's probably just destruction of government property.
So is unintentional terrorism not still terrorism? If someone sets off a massive bomb in New York with the intent of ridding the city of the rat population will they only be charged with third degree murder?

So is unintentional terrorism not still terrorism? If someone sets off a massive bomb in New York with the intent of ridding the city of the rat population will they only be charged with third degree murder?
We actually have laws against individuals using weapons of mass destruction.

[SIZE=26px][B]18 U.S. Code § 2332a - Use of weapons of mass destruction[/B][/SIZE] said:
(a) Offense Against a National of the United States or Within the United States.—A person who, without lawful authority, uses, threatens, or attempts or conspires to use, a weapon of mass destruction
(1)
against a national of the United States while such national is outside of the United States;

(2) against any person or propertywithin the United States, and
(A)
the mail or any facility of interstate or foreign commerce is used in furtherance of the offense;
(B)
such property is used in interstate or foreign commerce or in an activity that affects interstate or foreign commerce;
(C)
any perpetrator travels in or causes another to travel in interstate or foreign commerce in furtherance of the offense; or
(D)
the offense, or the results of the offense, affect interstate or foreign commerce, or, in the case of a threat, attempt, or conspiracy, would have affected interstate or foreign commerce;

(3)
against any property that is owned, leased or used by the United States or by any department or agency of the United States, whether the property is within or outside of the United States; or

(4)
against any property within the United States that is owned, leased, or used by a foreign government,

shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life, and if death results, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
But again... no, not terrorism. You have to intend for your actions to intimidate the public at large to cede to your political/religious/whatever inclinations for it to be terrorism.

One of the scariest parts is that a fucking pharmacist believes that vaccines will alter your DNA. Not some random nut on the internet, but a pharmacist who should have gone to school for many years to earn a degree in a medical field.

The specificity of legal definitions is also the reason that all Murders are Homicides, but not all Homicides are Murders.
Even within the category of "Murder," mens rea is still practically all that separates one degree of Murder from another.
One of the scariest parts is that a fucking pharmacist believes that vaccines will alter your DNA. Not some random nut on the internet, but a pharmacist who should have gone to school for many years to earn a degree in a medical field.
And he should lose his cert and never be allowed to do pharmacy again.
The same rationale should be carried over to other positions of public service, IMO.

--Patrick

To be fair, these mRNA vaccines - while they DON'T change your DNA, obviously - do at least have some sort of connection to DNA and will alter the exterior shape of some cells.
It's not *as* braindead a conspiracy as corona causes 5G or whatever.

To be fair, these mRNA vaccines - while they DON'T change your DNA, obviously - do at least have some sort of connection to DNA and will alter the exterior shape of some cells.
It's not *as* braindead a conspiracy as corona causes 5G or whatever.
I'm not saying that there isn't a vague connection or justification. I'm saying a trained pharmacist should know better than to follow a dumbass conspiracy theory about a vaccine.

Oh, that I agree with. My standards have just been lowered sufficiently by now that I'm already glad he didn't destroy them because they contained cooties.

figmentPez

Staff member

Proving once again that Republicans don't really care about the economy. They care about hoarding wealth and hurting minorities.

figmentPez

Staff member
FDA warns Congress about Covid test that may give false results

“I am a bit alarmed that Fred Turner, the 25-year-old founder of Curative Inc., with no medical background was rewarded the contract for testing lawmakers, staff and the media in the U.S. Capitol," one Republican Senate aide said. "I have been reliant on this service and captiously optimistic that it’s reliable.”

L.A. using coronavirus test that FDA warns may produce false negatives

"Curative, founded by a 25-year-old British businessman, has administered more than 11 million tests nationwide, including in other major cities such as Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and Seattle."

I'm not finding exact numbers, but the rate of false negatives from these tests is high enough to cause concern. A lot of people out there had the virus when their test said they didn't.

In spite of close to 70 wrestlers, including Yokozuna Hakuho, out because of COVID-19, the January sumo tournament appears to still be on. One young wrestler, Kotokantetsu, was told his concerns about the virus was not a valid reason to withdraw, and his choices were to fight or retire. So he quit. Gave up all he's known since junior high. His health comes first. Props to him.

One case of the UK variant infected a quarantine hotel worker who traveled around Brisbane for as much as five days.
  • The city entered a 3-day full lockdown within 24 hours of discovering the news.
  • Other states closed their borders to Queensland or residents of Brisbane.
  • Contact tracing went in to overdrive, including using public transportation passes and CCTV footage to contact people for testing.
  • More than 30000 people have been tested over the weekend (no positive results)
  • Mask wearing is at something like 99% compliance, by my count while out biking with my family yesterday, with 92% wearing them properly.

[Coronavirus has] already been shown to cause/contribute to ischemia/infarction (i.e., strokes), but I haven't heard anything about it weakening vessel walls. IANAD, of course.
Autopsies Reveal The Terrible Damage COVID-19 Can Inflict on The Human Brain
...in-depth autopsies of COVID-19 patients have revealed greater details of widespread inflammation and damage in brain tissues. [...] Some estimate that up to 50 percent of those hospitalised with COVID-19 could have neurological symptoms that can leave people struggling to do even common daily tasks [...]"The very small blood vessels in the brain were leaking," Nath told NPR. "And it wasn't evenly - you would find a small blood vessel here and a small blood vessel there."
So maybe there is some kind of link to spontaneous bleeding. Remember all of this when someone callously offers up the ol' "98% survival rate" quote.

--Patrick

Someone who I've grown close to is in the hospital with Covid and pneumonia in both lungs. This along with the daughter of my high school sweetheart (that you guys helped me see again so long ago) having her cancer return in both of HER lungs is leaving me an emotional wreck right now.

Quebec gotta Quebec.

With the new curfew in effect, there is an allowance for late night dog walking (to accommodate work schedules).

So naturally a couple was tickeded trying to circumvent it by a wife walking her husband on a leash.

Quebec gotta Quebec.

With the new curfew in effect, there is an allowance for late night dog walking (to accommodate work schedules).

So naturally a couple was tickeded trying to circumvent it by a wife walking her husband on a leash.
Was the husband in a dog outfit at least?

Multiple folk are testing positive for Covid-19 after the coup attempt, riot and super spreader event days ago including 75 year old cancer survivor Bonnie Coleman and Rep Primila Jayapal.

Here's GOP members telling other reps handing out masks to politely fuck off.

Geeze guys, stop kink shaming. :p
You can keep this kink in the bedroom (or garden, or whatever) and keep it Covid-safe :-P

Quebec gotta Quebec.

You know, we have a 00h00-06h00 curfew here, and it doesn't have a dog walking exception. Which is great and all, but it means I've violated curfew....12 times this month? And 31 times last month, at least.
I refuse to get up at 6AM to walk my dog, and she can't hold it for 9 hours.