Coronavirus Thread

Tonight is the delayed start of the NHL season. NHL teams consist of a roster of 22 players, of which 17-20 are dressed for each game.

17 players on the Dallas team have covid.

Those numbers are really low too for the flu. A combo of COVID killing off the susceptible people before the flu could get to them, and so many other people taking so many extra precautions to reduce transmission.

I told someone recently I don't ever plan to stop wearing my mask. It's enough of a norm now that people won't likely tell you to remove it, and it really helps prevent other transmissible illnesses. I see no reason to not just keep wearing it out and about just like I wear shoes or pants.

Fellas, does this vaccine make me look gay?

That's not surprising. The orthodox community tends to be very antivaxxer. I think it started around 20-25 years ago when there was misinformation about vaccines containing... I want to say fetal pig tissue? I can't remember. In any case, they still believe it, and unfortunately, they tend to be rife with childhood diseases that we thought were taken care of. It's really a shame the harm it's doing.

My dad got his first shot of the vaccine today. He lives in the NWT and since they only have two major(ity white citizens) towns or cities, I guess it's easy to get the vaccine to him.

My mom might get one in April here in Alberta, who knows? Myself, post September.

I'm pretty glad my Grandma died before all this and that my brother, my dad, my aunt and I were there when she died. Instead of by herself, on an incubator because the fucking Mennonites near the town she lives in refuse to follow ANY kind of precautions of ANY kind, breaking every single law put into place without any kind of repercussion. They know the number of reported cases of COVID in the area, but everyone knows the real number is much higher. The God damn EMT's from the fucking town who are Mennonites refuse to wear masks....NOW...SUDDENLY.

No new cases yesterday, down to 25 active. All are either travel related or close contact to travel related.

Province is thinking about easing restrictions, I hope they do not. Kids have been back for only 1 week.

Scouts has restarted, everyone was given an extended season last year. But must register again in January. I don't really see how the organization can survive. Nobody is going to pony up $200 for 12 months of zoom meetings. Even here, where we can still meet, the hesitation is there, as we've shut down twice now.

Mesa Public Schools has teamed with the Mesa Fire Department to provide free vaccines for district staff starting tomorrow through the 27th at the six comprehensive high schools (i.e., the six main HS that have 9-12 graders).

Two things about this:

1. I'm not planning on getting it, since they're going to be using the Moderna vaccine, and I'm already scheduled to get the other type in Glendale on Friday.
2. I've already heard numerous people at my worksite who don't want to get it, including a gentleman whom I've gotten into it about having a sign for his business on the back of his pickup - right next to his TRUMP PENCE bumper sticker.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wasn't sure where else to put this, but if anyone is looking for nerdy masks, because this pandemic is still going to continue for a while, Woot has some new nerdy designs up this week. Some of the patterns in this batch are the four Harry Potter houses (not officially licensed), some cute animals, 80's cassettes, food and more. ( I've got three of these masks and I like them. When adjusted right they managed to stay over my nose even when acting during rehearsals. I don't know if the polyester/spandex blend they use is good at filtering, but is comfortable.

figmentPez

Staff member
God dammit Texas, can you stop being an embarrassment for even a single day?

Dallas County axes plan to prioritize vaccinating communities of color after state threatens to slash allocation

"Faced with the threat that the state might slash its vaccine allocation, Dallas officials on Wednesday reversed course on a plan that would have prioritized doses for people living in the county’s most vulnerable ZIP codes, primarily in communities of color."

This just stinks of racism. Dallas County would be responsible for distributing less than 10% of all vaccine doses. Most would be through hospitals and other health-related institutions. I'm going to guess that the most vulnerable ZIP codes are also the ones most lacking in hospitals, but the racists get to pull out "You can't just give all the doses to one ZIP code, you have to make doses available to everyone." Neglecting that 90% of the doses are already going to the areas they want to force Dallas County to provide to.

Solid week of low numbers, means some restrictions will be lifted. Sports and the arts are back but no spectators or travel permitted.

Down to 19 active cases province wide. Ever vigilant, we don't want to become NB.

Solid week of low numbers, means some restrictions will be lifted. Sports and the arts are back but no spectators or travel permitted.

Down to 19 active cases province wide. Ever vigilant, we don't want to become NB.
I'm sure there are 19 cases in my neighborhood right now. Every single one of them dying and posting on Facebook that Covid is a hoax.

So last week here in Taiwan a doctor and a nurse were infected in the hospital while caring for COVID patients. Originally they just isolated the ward that the new infections were found in, but new infections kept showing up, even in wards that theoretically should have had no contact with the original infections. So far those two infections have ballooned to fifteen, which includes other patients and staff at the hospital, as well as their family members.

In response, the government has mandated that basically anyone who's had any connection to this hospital should now self-isolate. This includes all patients, all staff, all caregivers, and their family members. In total, around 5000 people have been ordered to self-isolate.

On the one hand, a sudden increase to 15 local transmissions feels like a lot when we've grown accustomed to zero local cases. On the other hand, I can imagine some people going, "Fifteen cases? Those are rookie numbers!"

I'm trying to put the number of people I know, and had been interacting with face to face until last year, who have had or are recovering from COVID into perspective. For me, that number is 12, and it's hard to process how crazy that seems. Most of the cases, with a couple of exceptions, sound relatively mild. I have no risk of exposure because I realized how careless they were being and shut that part of my life down. It's just sometimes I'm not sure what I should be feeling. (For context, It's more of an extended friend group and not family.)

My coworkers wife works at a school that had a child with a case that was travel related.

Me < coworker < coworker wife < coworker wife in same building of a positive case.

Too close. Better believe I avoided that coworker.

Tbh, it is weird that I think I only know two people who I actually interact with in my life that have gotten it (and they live together).

I'm trying to put the number of people I know, and had been interacting with face to face until last year, who have had or are recovering from COVID into perspective. For me, that number is 12, and it's hard to process how crazy that seems. Most of the cases, with a couple of exceptions, sound relatively mild. I have no risk of exposure because I realized how careless they were being and shut that part of my life down. It's just sometimes I'm not sure what I should be feeling. (For context, It's more of an extended friend group and not family.)
Counting friends of coworkers or coworkers of friends, I know at least 3 people who have died of CoVid, and at least one who was in a coma for several months. There's a reason the last time I had close contact with someone else than my wife was...errr....september? Maybe?

We got another Corona-chan letter at work today. One major difference: we finally meet the definition of an "outbreak" at our workplace. :cry: