Coronavirus Thread

My mother literally just..... said that Trump is the one who shut things down and Dem governors just trying to make Trump look bad by not reopening.

Fox News is a hell of a drug.
What concerns me about this, or just anyone that drinks Fox's Koolaid, is that they completely forget/ignore facts and events they experienced 6 months ago.

I am endlessly frustrated by the fact that my parents think that Coronavirus is over because New York State is in good shape.
I know its a waste of time trying to convince a fox news moron of anything, but the reason our area never got his so badly was because NYC got hit so badly that we did a "premature" shutdown.

I know its a waste of time trying to convince a fox news moron of anything, but the reason our area never got his so badly was because NYC got hit so badly that we did a "premature" shutdown.
Yes, I've tried to say that to them. That's when she said Trump is the one who shut everything down, not Cuomo.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's not just Fox. There's also One America News Network. OANN is worse than Fox, and has the added problem that people who watch it think they're being smarter than Fox News watchers by not watching Fox New's propaganda (even though it's pretty much the exact same propaganda).

Last time I saw that on Imgur, someone in the comments said she was a known K-Pop idol, and the dude who walked up behind them with the odd arm stance was a Paparazzi holding his camera low trying to get an upskirt shot.
It appears that at the end he looks up in disappointment. "I'm gonna get such a great shot of... aww, umbrella."

figmentPez

Staff member
$300 million dollars taken from the CDC, in the middle of a pandemic, for a disinformation campaign starring celebrities.

People who have clearly never even seen the school system.

This is literally my main complaint about teaching this year from the start.

Last year, before Covid-19, I had a kid come to school looking like shit. She was pale, sweaty, and had no energy. I asked how she was feeling, and she told me she had vomited three times that morning. She also had a fever. Still, her mom told her she had to go to school and sent her sick as a dog with the flu. I sent her to the health office right away, but she never should have been there.

As a union we said the same thing to our school board this summer, and they told us we were being ridiculous.

My mother sent me to school with a concussion and uneven pupils. I remember it vividly. I fell off a trampoline at a weekend camp and vomited during the trip home and overnight and all day at school. I begged to stay home and was denied. Not contagious, but still shitty.

When our kids were young enough to have a sitter, she thanked us every time we called her and kept the kids home. Many parents didn’t.

How can those officials be unaware that this happens?

GasBandit

Staff member
My mother sent me to school with a concussion and uneven pupils. I remember it vividly. I fell off a trampoline at a weekend camp and vomited during the trip home and overnight and all day at school. I begged to stay home and was denied. Not contagious, but still shitty.

When our kids were young enough to have a sitter, she thanked us every time we called her and kept the kids home. Many parents didn’t.

How can those officials be unaware that this happens?
There are few people as out of touch with reality as administrators.

The sad thing? This isn't even really the schools, it's the shitty way we handle employment.

Most parents use school as a form of daycare so they can work during the weekdays. When a kid gets sick, that is a sudden thing, and people that often run businesses hate having to try to hunt down a replacement to fill the role for the day that was not planned. God forbid a manager might have to run the checkout lines that day. Before you know it, you are seen as the problem employee for missing so many days that year due to child illness, and are the first to be let go. This is why maternity leave and shit is such a hot button issue with many employers. Many parents thus just send the sick kid to school so they can go to work, try to get whatever they can get done, then wait for the inevitable call from the school to go pick them up.

Fun little fact, but I lost a job because my son had a fever and I refuse to work when my kids need me. I had worked there for many years, but then my son got sick and I had to stay home, called in and told them I wouldn't be back till his fever was over. I ran almost an entire department by myself, but when I got back I was let go. They decided since someone else in a different department was able to handle his work and mine at the same time to an acceptable level, they were just going to save money. If I had planned it more ahead of time I could have covered more of my work early and likely would still be working there.

I feel like part of the problem is institutional. On one hand, most households nowadays don't have/can't afford to have a full-time parent at home. And most places of employment discourage you, or outright punish you for taking sick days, whether it's for yourself or your kid. Also, a lot of schools guilt or coerce you from keeping your kids at home, even though they ask not to send your kids in when they're sick. Around here, if you miss 4 days of school, and I don't mean in a row, I mean AT ALL, they send home a strongly-worded letter that sick days are considered unexcused absences and 16 absences for any reason can result in being held back a year. Again, this is after 4 ABSENCES. Not 8, not 10, just 4.

But there are also the parents that are "just not having it" for other reasons, and those are the worst. I still give my mom shit for thinking I was faking bronchitis during the weekend (which should have been a tip-off I wasn't faking, MOM!), and opened a window in November to give me "fresh air", resulting in it turning into pneumonia and missing a month of school.

EDIT: ninja'd by @ScytheRexx whilst I was typing.

Yes, it's not just work. Recall my daughter's world geo teacher and the "extra credit for never being absent"

Yes, it's not just work. Recall my daughter's world geo teacher and the "extra credit for never being absent"
I don't think a reward for good attendance is the same as a punishment for bad attendance though. They still obviously want to incentivize kids going to school rather then being truant and going to the arcade. It really just comes down to what is "excused". Personally, if I wanted to take my son out of school for a day or two, I feel that should be excused. If he gets sick, then that DEFINITLY needs to be excused. Thankfully, my sons school has a rule where any absence is excused as long as a proper reason is given, like doctors notes, dentist notes, specific circumstances like loss in the family, etc. Very rare anyone gets dinged for bad attendance unless they openly just not going to school to just avoid it.

I don't think a reward for good attendance is the same as a punishment for bad attendance though. They still obviously want to incentivize kids going to school rather then being truant and going to the arcade. It really just comes down to what is "excused". Personally, if I wanted to take my son out of school for a day or two, I feel that should be excused. If he gets sick, then that DEFINITLY needs to be excused. Thankfully, my sons school has a rule where any absence is excused as long as a proper reason is given, like doctors notes, dentist notes, specific circumstances like loss in the family, etc. Very rare anyone gets dinged for bad attendance unless they openly just not going to school to just avoid it.
My daughter is in the IB Program, which means she's with all the kids who are going to already be excelling academically, and are probably not skipping class on the regular, as well as being more likely to be competitive for high grades. Excused address absences count as any absence for this extra credit, and they already lose points for unexcused absences.

Personally, I'm just waiting for my mom to try to say this to me. She's already given me the "You have to go on with your life," nonsense, as if there is some rush to be outside in this hellscape.

WTF
That's the stupidest thing I saw lately. Why are they still kissing his ass and go with the narrative? "Oh, he got it, there is nothing we can do now. We have to except that there is nothing stopping the virus if he got it."
What. The. Hell. He is not a god or something.

That's the level of propaganda you can hear from North Korean TV stations.