Export thread

Community

Piotyr

Piotyr

Community is currently my favorite show on TV. Last week's episode was fantastic, and I completely missed a subplot that went on entirely in the background:

Basically, while everyone else on the show was all caught up with death and dying, Abed spent the whole episode in the background helping a pregnant woman deliver a baby into the world.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Community is a wonderful show. Easily the highlight of NBC's Thursday night shows, especially with Outsourced now replacing Parks and Rec.

Covar

Covar

I've been enjoying outsourced. I need to watch community at some point.

Espy

Espy

I watched the first few episodes and thought it was horrible. Maybe I'll check out some of the later ones if it really gets better.

Steve

Steve

I watched it, saw the pregnant woman in the background in all those scenes but did not realize (other than the first scene) it was Abed with her. Well done! And what a great counter to that show's main theme.

Reboneer

By far the best comedy currently on TV.

Also, although Amazon gave me a delivery estimate of November 8, my DVDs of season 1 arrived yesterday :D

(Also, Outsourced is complete shit and I hope it's cancelled soon).

Norris

Norris

I did not notice that. Holy crap. Anyhow, what I love about the show is that it is essentially a high schooler sitcom but with heavily flawed adults as the main characters. Such a simple idea and it so works.

(Also, Outsourced is complete shit and I hope it's cancelled soon).
I wouldn't say "COMPLETE shit", as it has moments of cleverness....but the movie it is based on is far more genuinely funny and engaging.

klew

klew

I saw the Abed actions in the background and wondered if any of the other characters would notice or comment, or at least wonder where he was during the A storyline.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My roommate just got this on DVD a few days ago. I just started watching it yesterday. And I've finished all of season one and caught up in season 2 already.
This is the funniest show on TV since Arrested Development was cancelled.

Steve

Steve

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/18/what-happens-to-parks-recreation-and-community-now/68532

According to this Community might get bumped by Outsourced as it's not performing as well in the ratings as the other NBC shows. NBC barely gives Community any PR. Of the Thursday night line up it's the best.

And on a totally unrelated topic Fox announced an animated Napoleon Dynamite series: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/1...-dynamite-allen-gregory-for-next-season/68343

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Outsourced?

Jesus fucking Christ. If Community gets axed for Outsourced it really must be the God damn end times.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, of course they will kill it. I watch it. Shows I enjoy usually get 2 seasons and then get killed.

Steve

Steve

Outsourced?

Jesus fucking Christ. If Community gets axed for Outsourced it really must be the God damn end times.
Considering Two and a Half Men has been the number one comedy on TV for several years I lost faith in humanity.

Krisken

Krisken

Outsourced?

Considering Two and a Half Men has been the number one comedy on TV for several years I lost faith in humanity.[/QUOTE]
Christ in a bucket, I've only seen snippets of that awful rancid piece of TV meat. I blame all the moronic viewers who are happy being told when to laugh.

Reboneer

Outsourced has only been performing decently because it has The Office as a lead in. When Community was scheduled after The Office this time last year, it was performing better than Outsourced is now, so that's something at least.

To be honest, I think they're more likely to cancel Parks and Recreation than Community, although if either of them are cancelled for fucking Outsourced, I'll be pissed.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Last night's episode was...awesome.

Dave

Dave

I like "Two and a Half Men".

Covar

Covar

It's not something I go out of my way to watch, but it's pretty funny.

Steve

Steve

The laugh track on the show is excruciating. They queue it up after ever other sentence.

Alan: "Charlie, would you please not leave your black book lying around the house." Audience laughter
Charlie: "Have you seen the size of it? I can't lug it around the house." More laughter
Alan: "Charlie, are we still talking about your black book?" Audience goes crazy, people do cartwheels up and down the aisles and the streets run with blood.
Keep in mind these are THE BEST moments from Season 5:
Of course my wife watches the show so I'm well versed in the show. But put it up against shows like "It's Always Sunny" or "Modern Family" and it just falls flat.

The above video is a perfect example of this show. Not only do they tell a lame joke, then they explain the joke and run it into the ground, all while the laugh track convinces us this is funny. But I have never liked John Cryer or Charlie Sheen and seeing both of them make me want to punch them in the face. And the kid is not much better.
Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually wasn't as crazy about the zombie Halloween episode. It was really good, but I actually think first season's Halloween episode was better. They weren't really parodying zombie movies so much as just making one, and that's why I thought it wasn't as good as it should have been. I felt like it would have been funnier if they had played up the food poisoning/flu aspect, rather than having it be a rabies type disease. Course then you wouldn't have the biting, so I don't know how they would have parodied the genre successfully.
Also it bugged me that Abed said to Troy "Be the first black man to make it to the end." In a zombie movie parody. Zombie movies are the exception to that trope (Night, Dawn, and Day all had black guys surviving to the end), and Abed of all people should know that. My roommate says that Dan Harmon actually addressed this in his twitter account, and said he knows zombie movies are the exception to the rule, . So I take some relief in that.

That being said, the episode was still hilarious. Abed and Troy's partnered costume was great. Senor Chang was hilarious as always. I loved everyone not knowing who Shirley was dressed as and much of the zombie movie stuff was spot on. Just as one would expect.

Steve

Steve

This show just gets better and better. Tonight's episode borrowed from "The Secret Garden" and "Robocop". Both were great stories. Who doesn't remember the joy of their first trampoline?

Krisken

Krisken

All I know is, you HAVE TO BELIEVE.

phil

phil

The laugh track on the show is excruciating. They queue it up after ever other sentence.

Alan: "Charlie, would you please not leave your black book lying around the house." Audience laughter
Charlie: "Have you seen the size of it? I can't lug it around the house." More laughter
Alan: "Charlie, are we still talking about your black book?" Audience goes crazy, people do cartwheels up and down the aisles and the streets run with blood.
Of course my wife watches the show so I'm well versed in the show. But put it up against shows like "It's Always Sunny" or "Modern Family" and it just falls flat.

The above video is a perfect example of this show. Not only do they tell a lame joke, then they explain the joke and run it into the ground, all while the laugh track convinces us this is funny. But I have never liked John Cryer or Charlie Sheen and seeing both of them make me want to punch them in the face. And the kid is not much better.
Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?[/QUOTE]

I got 3 minutes into the two and half men best of thing before closing it.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just saw the latest episode. It was incredibly good. This show never lets me down.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?[/QUOTE]

I got 3 minutes into the two and half men best of thing before closing it.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED![/QUOTE]

I couldn't even make it that far. Well done.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Really enjoyed their take on a bottle episode, as they tied in some plot points from earlier episodes that I assumed they'd ignore in favor of the status quo.

Disconnected

you lie!
like a cat pissing in the tub.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Man, why'd we stop talking about this show? The bottle episode was fantastic! Did anyone happen to re-watch it and spot the solution as it happened on screen? Took me three times viewing to catch it.

And last night's episode was great as well. The whole blanket city bit had me going, especially Britta.

Piotyr

Piotyr

This week's Christmas episode was fantastic.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Krisken

Krisken

That is fantastic.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No apologies for bumping such an old thread. Much apologies for not watching until tonight. Caught up with the first part later via Hulu. Too many awesome bits to count.

Joe Johnson

yeah, I just got into it recently as well - mainly because of this thread, so...thanks for that.

I thought the 2 part finale was pretty awesome. Now I need to go back and watch season1.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This show is beautiful, beautiful genius, and I love everyone involved with it. It is the best thing on TV.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hadn't seen an episode since the Pulp Fiction one, but I finally caught up last night. I was, at first, a little disappointed that "For a Few Paintballs More" didn't continue the western theme of "A Fistfull of Paintballs", but the episode turned out fantastic anyway! I LOVE THIS SHOW. Best thing on TV is right.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You are human tennis elbow. You are pizza burn on the roof of the world's mouth. You are the opposite of Batman.
:D

Piotyr

Piotyr

The season premiere was so funny I'm still laughing.

Norris

Norris

So is it just me or is John Goodman an amazing actor?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So is it just me or is John Goodman an amazing actor?
It's not just you. For a moment or two I could hear Ned Beatty's rant from Network during John's tirade. :)

Steve

Steve

I missed it. Dang. By the time I realized what night it was The Office was already playing.

Krisken

Krisken

If you are state-side, Steve, you could always watch it on Hulu.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Finally saw it. Is John Goodman going to be a rucurring character, or is this the Betty White thing again?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Finally saw it. Is John Goodman going to be a rucurring character, or is this the Betty White thing again?
He's supposedly a recurring character, along with the Biology professor. He's signed on for more than just a couple episodes, at least.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

sweeeeet.
*Hopes Drew Carrey returns at some point as well*

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Remedial Chaos Theory. So much awesome.

EVIL TROY AND EVIL ABED!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That was a really great episode.

Covar

Covar

I just marathoned the first season of this show today. Wow this show is great.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The gang posed in EW as the cast of Animal House:

Gusto

Gusto

Pop POP!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Quite frankly, last season was just horrible. This season seems to be regaining some of what I thought was lost last season.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Quite frankly, last season was just horrible. This season seems to be regaining some of what I thought was lost last season.
I totally disagree. Last season had tons of great episodes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We're halfway through season 2 and fucking loving it. Total disagreement on loss of quality--the show just keeps getting better. I liked how mid-season 2 had a couple grim episodes for the group, and yet was still hilarious as always.

Can't imagine anything can top the season 1 paintball episode though. I'm gonna need to get season 1 at some point just to watch that again and again.

Covar

Covar

Damn Alison Brie is hot. Working my way through season 2. Just watched the Christmas episode.

I loved the Bottle episode, and the return of Annie's Boobs. I think more episodes need to feature Annie's Boobs.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Did you accidentally watch the Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men or something and not realize it? Because last season was absolutely hilarious. The only thing that was not up to snuff was Chang's role in the whole thing. And thats about the only thing they could possibly improve on in this season (And they did, by actually giving him some authority again).

Norris

Norris

John Goodman is a God.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wat?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I pretty much hated the whole pierce as an out and out villain arc.

Gusto

Gusto

I pretty much hated the whole pierce as an out and out villain arc.
That did wear thin but it made for some great moments/episodes.

"Sitting atop Draconis, naked as the day he was born is.... Pierce Hawthorne."
Added at: 12:35
And honestly it wasn't any less aggravating than half of season 1 wherein Pierce is graciously donating his perceived talents towards helping almost every member of the group and others (Von, the Dean).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Haven't laughed this hard in a long time. And did you know...
When it snows my eyes become large...

Piotyr

Piotyr

I loved Horse-Bot 3000!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That did wear thin but it made for some great moments/episodes.

"Sitting atop Draconis, naked as the day he was born is.... Pierce Hawthorne."
Added at: 12:35
And honestly it wasn't any less aggravating than half of season 1 wherein Pierce is graciously donating his perceived talents towards helping almost every member of the group and others (Von, the Dean).
I do have to agree some of that was getting too long, but I really think the whole two-part finale with the climax of Pierce's Arc, and Fort Hawthorne especially, really made up for the arc dragging as much as it did, and I have a feeling that on repeat viewing, knowing that there IS such a good climax to it, the arc will probably play better for me.
The only real complaint I have with second season is Chang, who in the first season was one of my favourite side characters, losing his perceived authority. I think it made his "Chang is crazy!" humour not really funny anymore. Suddenly it was just, "Man, Chang IS crazy."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hope Chang stops being a madman and returns to just being a quirky guy who thinks he's scary.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Today is also the day that I learned the Community characters actually have Twitter accounts and really did live tweet #AnniesMove.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Today is also the day that I learned the Community characters actually have Twitter accounts and really did live tweet #AnniesMove.
Found 'em. Followed 'em. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Man those guys totally have a non-negotiable Holodeck.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I was down on this thread until somebody had the fucking balls to say Season 2 was bad; they are wrong. That is all.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Steve Carrel said it best.

I hate the US's tv viewing habits.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I... I just started.... getting into this show....

Piotyr

Piotyr

NBC just Britta'd their TV lineup.

Norris

Norris

If the ratings aren't there, there's not much that can be done. It's not been screwed over up to now, not by NBC at any rate. Sucks, but business is business.

ElJuski

ElJuski

all the season 3 episodes will air, no worries. No use speculating and getting all worked up over nothing.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/today-in-news-from-the-darkest-timeline-nbc-pulls,65145/

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

RIP Community

Krisken

Krisken

O for christ's sake. I was liking Prime Suspect, too. I should just assume anything I like will get killed within 3 seasons.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

"troy and abed on hiaaaatus"

I make myself sad :(

Norris

Norris

O for christ's sake. I was liking Prime Suspect, too. I should just assume anything I like will get killed within 3 seasons.
Literally all I know about that show is that 1) it is based on a British show and 2) Wendy & Lisa (Emmy award winning TV composers, former members of Prince & The Revolution) did the music. I take it ti was pretty good?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!

Krisken

Krisken

Literally all I know about that show is that 1) it is based on a British show and 2) Wendy & Lisa (Emmy award winning TV composers, former members of Prince & The Revolution) did the music. I take it ti was pretty good?
I was enjoying it, mostly because Maria Bello is fantastic to watch.

Philosopher B.

Maria Bello is fantastic to watch.
This is a true statement. She's got hella presence.

Vagabond

Vagabond

This will definitely become the darkest timeline if Whitney continues much longer. The Office could use a breather as well.

Gusto

Gusto

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished season 2 tonight. Awesome and sad.

I've already watched two or three episodes of season 3, so I know what goes on, but still, that was a bit rough.

The bit with Annie and Abed though... wow.

The first part of the finale had me grinning though. My wife hasn't watched any spaghetti westerns, so she was missing a few of the references, but the episode was funny even without getting all of it. I was eating it up myself.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Something else I never noticed before...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Mind= Blown.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Weird...

Gusto

Gusto

They also mention squab more often than normal people should.

Far

Far

:confused: Someone in the background walks past dressed very similarly to Beetlejuice at :14.

Piotyr

Piotyr

:confused: Someone in the background walks past dressed very similarly to Beetlejuice at :14.
That was Beetlejuice. They said the name three times. That was the point of the clips.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Y-you're BIG CHEDDAR?!?

Gusto

Gusto

Goddamn I laughed so much.

ElJuski

ElJuski

"Some things are above the law...like bats...and me." The anime was a bit lolwut, but not lol.

Gusto

Gusto

"Some things are above the law...like bats...and me." The anime was a bit lolwut, but not lol.
At first I was horribly confused by it, but then the cat popped into it and I lolled.

Abed breaking into Rick's apartment was my favourite part.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Man, using that extra u like vowels grow on trees

sometimes I don't even know

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wait, there was a new episode? Its not on hiatus yet?
Sorry, Fallout: New Vegas, you'll have to wait tonight.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

boop-de-boop-de-boop-boom SEX!

Gusto

Gusto

What's duh muh nu muh nuh?

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, that's tough to stop watching.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't wait to go to regionals!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The shoe was on the other foot last night from the western episode; during that I was looking to my wife and wishing she was picking up the references. Then they apparently drove a carpenter nail through Glee with this Christmas episode and she was picking up music cues and jokes that I had not a clue on.

Also, this was the best episode of season 3 so far. I can see now why Harmon was so confident that Community would be back. Too many awesome moments to count.

The Body Snatchers bit was my favorite though. I felt a vibe of that movie coming when Britta ran, and then... that was so perfectly done.

Gusto

Gusto

It was the greatest Body Snatchers reference in anything I've ever seen.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, so I'm nearly caught up on this show. The last one I just watched was the Dean making a commercial for the college.

As far as the show, overall, I have two things to say.

One: POP POP!
Two: This show deserves nothing less than SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aaaaaand...just watched the Glee/Body Snatchers/Christmas episode. I've officially blown through the whole series to date in less than two weeks.

WANT MOAR! NOW!

Piotyr

Piotyr

An artist online rendered the entire Community cast as X-Men, and did fantastic:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's...scarily appropriate choices. Like...almost perfect.

Well..not entirely sure Troy'd be Wolverine.

ElJuski

ElJuski

How is it scarily appropriate? The cast of Community, as nuanced as they are, still fulfill basic pop-cultural stereotypes. That's why it's so funny to see them all in that pic...although, it's not the ENTIRE cast. I'd like to see Fat Neil and Pop-Pop.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

is Annie Jubilee?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Kitty Pryde, I think.

Gusto

Gusto

I want more Community and I want it now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Kitty Pryde, I think.
That seems likely, since Kitty often has her pet dragon, Lockheed, on her shoulder.

Norris

Norris

is Annie Jubilee?
She's Shadowcat AKA Ariel AKA Sprite AKA Kitty Pryde. Specifically in the character's Joss Whedon era costume (which was, admittedly, a variant of previous costumes).

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's...scarily appropriate choices. Like...almost perfect.

Well..not entirely sure Troy'd be Wolverine.
The only way that Storm is appropriate for Shirley is that she's black.

Racist :p

ElJuski

ElJuski

She's Shadowcat AKA Ariel AKA Sprite AKA Kitty Pryde. Specifically in the character's Joss Whedon era costume (which was, admittedly, a variant of previous costumes).
OH. THANKS

Piotyr

Piotyr

Good news, everyone! Community will be back on March 15th at 8pm EST.

Bad news, everyone! It's going to be bumping Parks and Recreation off the air for 6 weeks.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Given that I don't watch Parks and Recreation, I'll take it!

Calleja

Calleja

COMMUNITY WILL BE BACK ON MARCH 15TH AT 8 PM WOOOOOOOO

Also, I loved this tweet from (Lost producer) Damon Lindelof:

"COMMUNITY is back at 8 on the 15th. I have a good feeling about those numbers."

Piotyr

Piotyr

Calleja

Calleja

Cool. Cool cool cool.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Oh Alison Brie.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I like Community, but I like Parks & Rec a lot better. I wish they were both successful enough to not have to trade off weekly :|

ElJuski

ElJuski

Parks and Rec was going to end a few weeks early. And I don't know; this past season of Parks has been good, but not as excellent as the one prior. I think Community tops it--just barely--for me.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Parks and Rec was going to end a few weeks early. And I don't know; this past season of Parks has been good, but not as excellent as the one prior. I think Community tops it--just barely--for me.
Yeah, i watched the last 2 episodes to see what the show was about and i liked it, but didn't find anything special in them (guy from Party Down and Louis CK = very high expectations), even if they where far above the average.

Then i started watching from the beginning and man, the first season and a half i got through so far have been hilariously awesome... i even find it funnier (not better) then Community.

Also, SNL wasted Amy Poehler's talent... she's brilliant in this...

ElJuski

ElJuski

If you started from Parks and Rec from any random point in the last few seasons, it would be a stretch to find it enjoyable. You have to get to know the characters before you find their shenanigans hilarious.

@Li3n

@Li3n

If you started from Parks and Rec from any random point in the last few seasons, it would be a stretch to find it enjoyable.
No, not really... like i said, i found it funny enough to start watching from the beginning...it's just that the last two episodes didn't have the same crazy plots that made me choke with laughter... "the four best words in the english language: you wore me down" was great, but the first season had moments like it a few times per episode imo.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You might be the only person that prefers P&R season 1 to now

@Li3n

@Li3n

You might be the only person that prefers P&R season 1 to now
Like i mentioned, i only saw 2 episodes of now... so the jury's still out on that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

hence my original statement. Once you get the know the characters, the seasons get better and better. Season 1 is pretty unbearable, comparatively. Season 3 ownnnns

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I still think season 1 is a good show, just it made a leap to being a great show.

@Li3n

@Li3n

hence my original statement. Once you get the know the characters, the seasons get better and better. Season 1 is pretty unbearable, comparatively. Season 3 ownnnns
Your statement implies that i didn't enjoy the 2 episodes as much because i didn't know the characters... while for me the stuff that made me laugh out loud was more about the situations/personalities and their comments on it... they just struck me as way more absurd in the 1st season and a half...

Now that they're all actually friends it probably wouldn't work without making them seem mean spirited... so it's consistent character development, which is good, but not as funny to me...

Guess it's the same as my preference for british humour over american, Monthy Python and Colbert are on the same quality level, but teh dryer british delivery speaks more to me...

Which is probably why the ending of ep 2.12 where they waited for Leslie to light up the tree was meh for me... too sweet.

When it comes to humour, for me, dead babies >>>>>> everything...

EDIT: And to be clear, it wasn't just the 6 season 1 episodes, Andy living in the pit and other crazy half of Season2 stuff is included.

ElJuski

ElJuski

yup, dead babies. Hilarious.

@Li3n

@Li3n

yup, dead babies. Hilarious.
While on the subject, does anyone know what the film where the Prime Minister solved the unemployment problem by throwing out of work people off a cliff is called?Also, there was something about a tiger, a princess getting kidnapper and a bomb being smashed to bits and only exploding after they swept the pieces with a broom...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

While on the subject, does anyone know what the film where the Prime Minister solved the unemployment problem by throwing out of work people off a cliff is called?Also, there was something about a tiger, a princess getting kidnapper and a bomb being smashed to bits and only exploding after they swept the pieces with a broom...
The United States of America.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Heh, trying "prime minister off cliff unemployment film" on google actually worked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoops_Apocalypse

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, i finished s2 and started on s3... and i got to say, there was a mid-season slump there, and then the end of season 2 picked up and s3 so far was been just as good as Andy-in-the-pit-time...

And i see what you guys mean about s3 and knowing the characters... although that's more like icing on the cake then what makes it funny imo...

Bowielee

Bowielee

See, I'm not the only one who noticed it. :p

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That link keeps freezing for me at 1:28.
But here's a youtube link:

I see John Hodgman!

Bowielee

Bowielee

So... um... IT'S BACK.

I really liked the new episode. I prefer having Peirce back to being an unintentional dick than being an out and out villain.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It did pretty well (for NBC) ratings wise too, so, there's a chance as long as people keep watching.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know people are saying "Watch it on TV if you want it to keep going!" but I can't. We literally do not have the ability without paying another $30 a month, which we can't afford. We're going to try watching in as close proximity on NBC.com as possible and hopefully they count that. They should, considering you now have to sit through four commercial sections.

Covar

Covar

They won't, but don't worry. Unless you're a neilson household you don't count anyway.

Piotyr

Piotyr

1984 is a great book. I think they should force every child to read it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

last night's episode was great, I can't wait for part 2.

Bowielee

Bowielee

is it just me or is product placement getting more and more blatant

Piotyr

Piotyr

It's also part of the joke, now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Donèt worry, bowielee, I got the joke.

Gusto

Gusto

My favourite joke might have been "I loved 1984, they should force kids to read it."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Seriously though, the episode did make me want a subway sandwich, and I have to respect Subway for letting a TV show do that with their sponsorship. A lot of businesses wouldn't play along with that.

Gusto

Gusto

Happy Gilmore says hello.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Probably my second favorite episode of this season compared to the Chaos Theory episode. They're doing great shit. Pop pop captain.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I do have to say seriously, though, that even when they are fitting it into the story well, the company shilling is getting pretty blatant. It seems like every show now, there's some sort of point of mentioning products.

My thought is that it is to make up for the lost ad revenue from viewers switching to watching online.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I do have to say seriously, though, that even when they are fitting it into the story well, the company shilling is getting pretty blatant. It seems like every show now, there's some sort of point of mentioning products.

My thought is that it is to make up for the lost ad revenue from viewers switching to watching online.
Who also have to watch ads. Lots of them.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yes, but I'm sure that they don't fetch network broadcast ad prices.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Chang's attempted coup, if it comes to pass, will only last as long as it is useful to Vice Dean Layborn.

ElJuski

ElJuski

You mean like back in the old days when characters would actually stop and shill for products? Having a guy named Subway, and making jokes that are relatable to people, is a great concession by comparrison.

Frank

Frank

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/chevy-chase-in-feud-with-community-creator-dan-harmon/

!

I dunno, I feel that maybe Pierce Hawthorn won't be around on the show after this season.

Krisken

Krisken

"You're not funny. You're O.K." was my favorite bit of that.

I rather like the Pierce character because he is such a difficult character to like.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

THAT was an excellent episode.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/chevy-chase-in-feud-with-community-creator-dan-harmon/

!

I dunno, I feel that maybe Pierce Hawthorn won't be around on the show after this season.
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/20430020654/not-that-it-helps-but
Dan Harmon said:
I’m really not supposed to be commenting on the situation, which I think is great advice, because anything I say will extend the story’s life and cause more fans discomfort. But as a guy who blogs or tweets every time he wipes his butt, hugs his cat or hurts his girlfriend, it’s conspicuously weird of me to say nothing at all about the giant fart with my name on it that you’ve been inhaling...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That was quite possibly the best episode since the last paintball episode. I wish to now be referred to as a Changlorious Bastard.

Also, did anyone else try calling the 800 number at the end and disappointed that it didn't work? :(

Krisken

Krisken

No, but I love, LOVE the concept of this one. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, so...

Holy shit, doing the episode in the Ken Burns documentary style was a stroke of brilliance.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Leonard likes this post.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was afraid they were only going to do that for the opening, and then they stuck with it for the whole thing. Joy.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I enjoyed tonight's episode. But I don't need the romance between the characters shoved down my throat anymore this season. I get it. Stop making me look at loving states at the end of every episode.

Piotyr

Piotyr

"I need help reacting to something" had me rolling.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Gusto

Gusto

"Read the banana, Britta."

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, did Abed just make a huge gaffe on movie trivia? I don't recall Blades having a blade made of silver and a blade infused with garlic on his sword... seeing as that would be redundant because silver is the vampire's main weakness. I wouldn't nitpick, except it's something that Ahed himself would nitpick.

Gusto

Gusto

IT WAS A JOKE

Bowielee

Bowielee

It wasn't even a joke, it was a throwaway line. But if your character's main defining trait is pop culture minutia, that minutia should generally be correct, n'est pas?

Gusto

Gusto

Que c'est-que fuck?

I think the humour comes first, and the line made me laugh.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just find it ironic, more than anything.

Krisken

Krisken

Shit just got real.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Also *pushes up glasses* was Blade really a kickboxer? *snort* and I don't remember all that squish and squealing going on in the movie *snargle*

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, did Abed just make a huge gaffe on movie trivia? I don't recall Blades having a blade made of silver and a blade infused with garlic on his sword... seeing as that would be redundant because silver is the vampire's main weakness. I wouldn't nitpick, except it's something that Ahed himself would nitpick.
As i recall the blade had silver inserts or something like that, and i think there was a mention of using garlic solution or somesuch too...

But i don't think it had more then one blade, titanium with silver worked into it somehow.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's possible Abed is referring to the comic, since he does mention it in that same scene.

@Li3n

@Li3n

In the comic he didn't even start out as part vampire, he was just a regular human...

Norris

Norris

In the comic he didn't even start out as part vampire, he was just a regular human...
Not exactly, considering Blade canonically around 44 when he first appeared and looked about half that. He's always had an extended life span, an ability to sense supernatural creatures, and an immunity to vampires and their abilities.

BananaHands

BananaHands

ElJuski

ElJuski

fuck man Simpsons gifs are my goddamn thing

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

ElJuski said:
Only I may post Simpsons' gifs

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is what you've done, Juski:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Not exactly, considering Blade canonically around 44 when he first appeared and looked about half that. He's always had an extended life span, an ability to sense supernatural creatures, and an immunity to vampires and their abilities.
It's Marvel, unless he was bitten by a radioactive vampire he totally counts as a flatscan...

Did they ever mention why he had those abilities?

Norris

Norris

Did they ever mention why he had those abilities?
Because Deacon Frost bit his mother while she was giving birth, meaning the film took the same origin and used it to give him a far more "logical" power set. In the comics, he didn't get the more vamp-like abilities until Morbius The Living Vampire bit him.

ElJuski

ElJuski

this is why Community should never make a comicbook reference again ever

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

fight.jpg

ElJuski

ElJuski

This is how I feel when Halforums does their usual nerd thing and ruins a joke:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

This is how I feel when Halforums does their usual nerd thing and ruins a joke:
This is how I feel when Halforums does their usual nerd thing and ruins I post a joke:

Jusk.jpg

BananaHands

BananaHands

Episode 3.16 - "Virtual Systems Analysis"

"When a final exam is postponed, Annie talks Abed into letting her spending some time in the dreamatorium, where an innocent simulation turns into an examination of the study group."

Krisken

Krisken

My wife doesn't really watch Community at all and she woke up early this morning while I was just starting this episode. I think she may have thought this was the weirdest 30 minutes of her life.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I wasn't fully sold on the first half, but I think the second half had enough wrinkles in it that sold the growth and bonding. I just hope that growth continues to exist. Getting a little tired of Jeff and Annie.

BananaHands

BananaHands

This episode was wonderful. I was hoping for an appearance of Evil Abed, but I think it really played on the debate episode where Abed can 'predict' the future because he knows the other characters so well.

Also, Abed knowing Troy well enough to perfectly simulate his darker secrets and a breakdown was wonderful.

Gusto

Gusto

BananaHands the scene in that animated gif had me laughing out loud which is hella rare.

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands the scene in that animated gif had me laughing out loud which is hella rare.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have to say that was not the episode I expected from the description. Still really liked it. That was less comedy and just a real good character study of Abed.

How many episodes are left? Do you think they'll wrap up the Air Conditioning repair school storyline this season, since it still doesn't look good for a 4th season happening?

ElJuski

ElJuski

From all of the interviews with the cast and Dan Harmon that I've followed, they're pretty much wrapping up all the "darkness" this season, and setting our characters off on their eventual paths by the end. So yeah, it looks like Troy will end up going to the AC repair school. But once again, that's all just hearsay.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Because Deacon Frost bit his mother while she was giving birth, meaning the film took the same origin and used it to give him a far more "logical" power set. In the comics, he didn't get the more vamp-like abilities until Morbius The Living Vampire bit him.
So that was from before the film... how long after his 1st appearance was that origin used?

Piotyr

Piotyr

GONG GONG

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Another excellent episode. Anybody predict
the death that was in the season 3 trailer

accurately?

BananaHands

BananaHands

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dammit, BananaHands! I was going to post the same thing! :p

ElJuski

ElJuski

:(

Piotyr

Piotyr

I just now get the title of this episode, "Basic Lupine Urology"

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, I only picked up on that when I read the review on AVC :I

I was like, "Oh, shit."

Piotyr

Piotyr

I thought this was interesting, and tangentially related: A Day in the Life of Joel McHale

It basically goes through McHale's day of shooting both Soup and Community. It also includes a bunch of hints/spoilers about the Community season 3 finale.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So that was from before the film... how long after his 1st appearance was that origin used?
I know this is an old post, but it was always his origin from when he was first introduced in Tomb of Dracula, back when he was killing vamps with the Van Helsing clan and Hannibal King. It was his entire reason to start hunting vampires in the first place.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I know this is an old post, but it was always his origin from when he was first introduced in Tomb of Dracula, back when he was killing vamps with the Van Helsing clan and Hannibal King. It was his entire reason to start hunting vampires in the first place.
Actually i looked it up and the origin was 2 years after his appearance if wiki is to be believed... but yeah, that was his first origin story and 2 years isn't that long in comicbooks, 24 issues max...

Krisken

Krisken

Holy christ, I love this show. Every show gets better than the last. I will be sad when this gets cancelled.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Great sendoff for Starburns.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I love that the entire flow of the show was the actual five stages of grief: denial, rage, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

Also, I love that
Abed got the video from a "one armed man with a scar that said he was a lawyer", i.e. Evil Jeff.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Also, I love that
Abed got the video from a "one armed man with a scar that said he was a lawyer", i.e. Evil Jeff.
I didn't even think of that!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I love that the entire flow of the show was the actual five stages of grief: denial, rage, bargaining, depression, acceptance.

Also, I love that
I honestly didn't catch that.

Man I love this show.

Gusto

Gusto

Oh nice.

ElJuski

ElJuski

HOLY COW

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually i looked it up and the origin was 2 years after his appearance if wiki is to be believed... but yeah, that was his first origin story and 2 years isn't that long in comicbooks, 24 issues max...
Yeah, obviously they didn't give his origin for a while, but i can confirm this was his original origin. I have the tomb of dracula omnibus.

ElJuski

ElJuski

can you guys take that really boring Blade talk to PMs or another thread or something?

@Li3n

@Li3n

And ruin this great forum's standing by talking about the actual subject of the thread 7 pages in... that's crazy talk.

So.... did evil Troy and Abed murder Starburns? I didn't catch the evil Jeff reference, but the ending did make me think of what i just said...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm not gonna lie, it would be awesome if the final payoff to this storyline is an epic battle against the Evil, Mirror Universe study group.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm not gonna lie, it would be awesome if the final payoff to this storyline is an epic battle against the Evil, Mirror Universe study group.
At the very least i'm expecting that to be the emergency plan in case of cancellation... like 5 seasons from now...

Terrik

Terrik

At the very least i'm expecting that to be the emergency plan in case of cancellation... like 5 seasons from now...
And after the movie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

For some reason, this episode seemed shorter. At the end I felt like the episode had just started. weird.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And after the movieS.

HowDroll

HowDroll

Also, I love that
Holy shit. Nice catch!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I got a little turned off by the show by the first part of the fort/pillow episode, but the ensuing string of episodes has been pretty amazing.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I got a little turned off by the show by the first part of the fort/pillow episode, but the ensuing string of episodes has been pretty amazing.
Corporations making out with people not doing it for you?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

How long does peyote last?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Was I the only one who thought (and wanted) the episode would end like that ambiguous episode of Buffy?

HowDroll

HowDroll

Was I the only one who thought (and wanted) the episode would end like that ambiguous episode of Buffy?
I thought that's where it was going as well. I'm OK with the fact it didn't, though (although I think I might have been OK if it did also, depending on how it was handled.) There's a difference between Buffy being a girl in the asylum imagining that she is a superhero living in a paranormal world and seven people sharing one delusion -- I don't know that it would have worked as well.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I'm also okay with it either way. It was hilarious seeing them re-enact moments throughout the series in Insane-o-Vision.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guess I'll watch Community now, you non-spoiler tag using butmunches.

ElJuski

ElJuski

well I'd imagine that Thursday night after the episode airs people might want to discuss the episode. Silly Billy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I don't understand why someone would click on the latest thread posts for something like this and not expect spoilers. When the latest episode of something is downloading and I haven't watched it yet, I avoid threads like the plague.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Guess I'll watch Community now, you non-spoiler tag using butmunches.
Mav?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Not until he eschews the forum for a few days, leaving behind a hail of misogynistic insults. I mean, come on, BH didn't even spell "butt" correctly.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is the best show ever. I never make it a point to get a show on DVD, but this one is special.

90 minute finale next week. Can't wait.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Not until he eschews the forum for a few days, leaving behind a hail of misogynistic insults. I mean, come on, BH didn't even spell "butt" correctly.
I'll be honest, my heart really wasn't in that 'buttmunches'.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll be honest, my heart really wasn't in that 'buttmunches'.
Nope, not Mav.

BananaHands

BananaHands

That clips where they showed them in the insane asylum are great. "Flashback episode? Flashback episode?"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That clips where they showed them in the insane asylum are great. "Flashback episode? Flashback episode?"
"Everyone remember when we went camping?"
"Yes."

BananaHands

BananaHands

Community is moving to Friday in the fall.

It's going to be real hard to get an additional nine episodes.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

weeeeeeeeeeeell it's possible if they keep their core audience and keep getting Thursday numbers on Friday?? Or if they keep their massive Whitney lead-in (lol)

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, I don't understand why someone would click on the latest thread posts for something like this and not expect spoilers. When the latest episode of something is downloading and I haven't watched it yet, I avoid threads like the plague.
That's why I only post in the Korra thread drunk as hell after I get home on Fridays and watch the episode from the Saturday before. YOU KNOW BECAUSE IM BALLA AND ALL THAT

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've never watched community.

This thread has forced me to purchase the first season on dvd.

Gusto

Gusto

I've never watched community.

This thread has forced me to purchase the first season on dvd.
You're welcome.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

As a big John Hodgman fan and avid Judge John Hodgman podcast listener, I'd been looking forward to this episode for months.

The world needs more John Hodgman.
john hodgman 1.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

DON'T FORGET TO WATCH TONIGHT.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think watching a super-long episode on laggy NBC.com.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I can't even wait.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's fuckin weird they're bracketing it around 30 Rock

ElJuski

ElJuski

wait, really?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

community-30 Rock-community-community tonight

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That's really stupid.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hello, I'm the blacksmith's wife.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I thought the episode was really dumb until they traveled the map. And the Jive Turkeys. Oh dear god, I can't stop laughing at the Jive Turkeys.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Am I the only one who didn't really find that 8-bit episode that great?

BananaHands

BananaHands

I liked parts of it. The blacksmith scene, jive turkeys and Abed's family being the highlights.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I will wait until all parts are available to devour.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Am I the only one who didn't really find that 8-bit episode that great?
It's not like Community is beyond criticism--don't let the internet make you believe otherwise. I think the sprite episode and the weird anime / foosball episode were really below par for this season, despite there being a few good jokes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually loved the foosball episode, personally. But the 8-bit one only had 1 bit that made me chuckle. Yes, it was the jive turkeys .

Vagabond

Vagabond

But the 8-bit one only had 1 bit
HaHA.

I can't wait to re-watch all these episodes and catch all the little things my work addled brain is missing.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I liked it. If there's one thing that Community has done from the very beginning, it's taking the whole "jumping the sharp" concept with "gimmick" episodes and turning it into an ongoing gag.

I wouldn't say it was as good as previous episodes. Like the last half dozen episodes or so. I swear, the show has been on fire as of late.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It was sweet watching the end of the last episode attempt to wrap up the series as a whole in the final montage. I still take issue with the crew's stop-go character development (isn't this like the twelfth time Jeff realized friendship over career?) but as a whole I don't think I really care. The show is such a delight to watch.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I still take issue with the crew's stop-go character development (isn't this like the twelfth time Jeff realized friendship over career?)
Oh god, remember Dead Like Me?

HowDroll

HowDroll

The show is such a delight to watch.
Agreed. Community is just fun. I can't wait to see what sort of wacky hijinks they get up to next season.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Goth Britta. Rawr.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Final two episodes were great, particularly the second last one with the Dean heist. Loved that one.
Not really sure what to expect from a 4th season since they skipped ahead to Jeff's final exam for the 3rd season finale. I'm sure they'll work something out that works though (I'm worried they'll bring him back as a teacher, which I don't think would work). Curious to see if Chevy Chase is back for next season or not.
I liked that they wrapped things up in that montage but also set up a few things for next season like the Dean of City college planning his next assualt on Greendale and Jeff searching for his dad. I imagine they'll probably have at least one episode with Jeff's dad introduced. Who do you think will play him?
Oh god, remember Dead Like Me?
I liked this show. And just recently rewatched it. But, well yeah.

BananaHands

BananaHands

ElJuski

ElJuski

fuck Dead Like Me. I put in all that work for all that bullshit. I WANTED TO LIKE YOU SO BAD

HowDroll

HowDroll

Also, is anyone else pissed that Jeff and Annie STILL haven't hooked up? :censored:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Also, is anyone else pissed that Britta and Annie STILL haven't hooked up? :censored:
ftfy

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm pissed they keep dragging that storyline along, yeah. Although they surprised me with the second season reveal that Winger and Britta were banging. That was excellent.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm erect

HowDroll

HowDroll

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

now I'm dead irl

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

At one point my wife and I were hoping for Annie + Abed, but the imagitorium episode kinda killed that.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Shirley + Pierce.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I've written several slash fics on Starburns and Garrett

BananaHands

BananaHands

Magnitude/Leonard

ElJuski

ElJuski

"Pop...pop" sighed Magnitude as he dismounted, collapsing into the war hero's arms. The smell of frozen pizza still clung on the old man's lips as he whispered, "Goodnight, my love" and leaving a soft wet kiss on the young student's cheek.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Dean/Jeffrey otp

BananaHands

BananaHands

"Pop...pop" sighed Magnitude as he dismounted, collapsing into the war hero's arms. The smell of frozen pizza still clung on the old man's lips as he whispered, "Goodnight, my love" and leaving a soft wet kiss on the young student's cheek.
I heard all about your crooked penis.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know what the hell was the deal with NBC.com, so someone tell me if we watched the episodes in order:

Dean Heist, Lawyer Stuff, 8-bit episode

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

nah, 8-bit was first

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But how do they go from "let's save the dean" at the end of one episode to 8-bit to "let's save the dean"? Makes no sense!

And fuck NBC.com. They number the episodes 20, 21, 22, with 8bit as 22.

I knew the end of the lawyering episode felt like the finale.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

8 bit is out of order since the animation stuff took extra time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dammit.

Krisken

Krisken

Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I really liked the 8-bit episode.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think the 8-bit episode would have been serviced better by not being part of "the finale". Just kind of weird / bad timing / production crap.

Krisken

Krisken

I think the 8-bit episode would have been serviced better by not being part of "the finale". Just kind of weird / bad timing / production crap.
Yeah, it didn't really seem to have anything to do with the finale. I just ignored that it was supposed to be and enjoyed it for what it was.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm hoping on the DVD it'll take place before the Law & Order episode, since breaking up the episodes from that point to the end messes with the narrative.

Also, I don't think Jeff is done; he was focusing on the Biology final, but he still needs one more year to get replace his fake Bachelor's.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/community-creator-replaced-as-showrunner

Oh for fuck's sake. We get another season, but it won't be with the show's creator. Why even bother?

Krisken

Krisken

:fu:

BananaHands

BananaHands

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/community-creator-replaced-as-showrunner

Oh for fuck's sake. We get another season, but it won't be with the show's creator. Why even bother?
I think it'll be better off without him.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sorry, should offer some explanation.

Judging from the Chevy Chase voicemails and just observation of the show, Dan Harmon is responsible for the completely forced love-square that is Jeff, Britta, Annie, Troy that seems way too forced and out of left field in regards to Britta/Troy. He's way too attached to his characters and his idea of where the show should head instead of how the characters are developing.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

More than losing Dan Harmon as showrunner what bothers me is his replacements "credentials" and this:
Sony had been "looking at ways to broaden Community and attempt to extend the show's life on NBC,"
gives me a bad feeling.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Man, the show started out as a terrible sitcom, let's be honest. Sometimes outside influence is the best.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wouldn't say it started as a terrible sitcom. It started as a pretty good sitcom with some interesting characters. It was better than the average sitcom, but nothing that really made it stand out.

Everything about the show changed right about the time of the first paintball episode.

Gusto

Gusto

Honestly, my favourite parts of the first and second episodes were Duncan and Chang, respectively. It wasn't until the third episode that I got hooked on Abed and eventually everyone else.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My understanding of events is that the first few episodes the writers were not given as much freedom by NBC, and it wasn't until a little later that the writers started to get to take liberties. This coincidentally aligns fairly well with when the show went from bad to excellent.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I don't know if we're spoilering stuff or not, so I just will.

HOLY SHIT, Abed went from whimsical to a danger to himself and others. He had a straight up psychotic break. I know it was supposed to be cute, but man, he was ready to cut Jeff's arm off for christ's sake.

ElJuski

ElJuski

No way, the first few episodes were still pretty good. They just didn't have the absurd, genre-aping bent of later episodes. In either case, seeing the end of season 3 was a victory in and of itself, and easily works as a series finale even if next year sucks. I still have faith, but hey, we had a good run, guys.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sorry, should offer some explanation.

Judging from the Chevy Chase voicemails and just observation of the show, Dan Harmon is responsible for the completely forced love-square that is Jeff, Britta, Annie, Troy that seems way too forced and out of left field in regards to Britta/Troy. He's way too attached to his characters and his idea of where the show should head instead of how the characters are developing.
If Sony is looking to expand the viewerbase, you're likely going to see more of what you don't like. Your typical sitcom-viewer eats up that will they/won't they bullshit.

evilmike

evilmike

Karen Gillian talks about Inspector Spacetime

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Also there's a really long post on Vulture I think that makes a good case for changing up. Apparently he wasn't very good at management at all. And the people they got came from Happy Endings, which I have heard really good things about.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Karen Gillian talks about Inspector Spacetime
I want this to happen.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So, I don't know if we're spoilering stuff or not, so I just will.

HOLY SHIT, Abed went from whimsical to a danger to himself and others. He had a straight up psychotic break. I know it was supposed to be cute, but man, he was ready to cut Jeff's arm off for christ's sake.
Probably because I watch too much garbage, but I get so easily swept up in the fantastical elements of Community that I had to keep reminding myself there was no Evil Abed taking over, just actually Abed being crazy.

Vagabond

Vagabond

Oh yeah my jimmies are definitely rustled now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also there's a really long post on Vulture I think that makes a good case for changing up. Apparently he wasn't very good at management at all. And the people they got came from Happy Endings, which I have heard really good things about.
Happy Endings is just horrible. It is people TRYING so hard to be hipster,"young" people.

Plus the gay character in that show is a far more offensive stereotype than the most flamboyant character on TV.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Regarding the guys replacing Dan Harmon:

klew

klew

The American IT Crowd pilot had Joel McHale as Roy, and Ayoade reprising Moss.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The American IT Crowd pilot had Joel McHale as Roy, and Ayoade reprising Moss.
And it wasn't good.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And it wasn't good.
Jeff just wasn't Roy... Roy played Roy best.

And Jen wasn't convincing enough as a bullshitter...

Gusto

Gusto

A friend of mine from high school apparently just ran into Danny Pudi... in Poland.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I know that Danny Pudi is half Polish, but...that's really random.

Gusto

Gusto

WHAT THE HELL

AND THEN THEY PROCEEDED TO PARTY ALL NIGHT!?

ElJuski

ElJuski

basically your friend had sex with Abed. Hot. Hot hot hot.

Gusto

Gusto

Hm.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Yep, that progression of pictures is amazing.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Don't worry, Gusto. You'll get to meet him.

At their wedding. :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yep, that progression of pictures is amazing.
Meet. Food. Drink. Bed.

Hm.

HowDroll

HowDroll

She should have asked him when Knights of Badassdom is coming out.

ElJuski

ElJuski

she was too busy
his face.

Wait, what's Knights of Badassdom?

Oh, and have you guys played the videogame yet?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

HowDroll

HowDroll

Oh, and have you guys played the videogame yet?
Knights of Badassdom is Jason Stackhouse, Tyrion Lannister, River Tam, and Abed Nadir LARPing together. YES PLEASE.

ElJuski

ElJuski

nerd.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I had to look up who the hell Jason Stackhouse is, and when I found out I didn't care.

But Steve Zahn is cool. And obviously so are Summer Glaum Danny Pudi and Peter Dinklage.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Did you go to the 6 Seasons and a Movie Art show? A friend of mine has some stuff in that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Did you go to the 6 Seasons and a Movie Art show? A friend of mine has some stuff in that.
No, I'm on the wrong end of the country. :( This just popped up on my tumblr dashboard.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

evilmike

evilmike

Official Teaser Trailer for the Untitled Web Series About A Space Traveler Who Can Also Travel Through Time

Gusto

Gusto

Welp.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I hate this day.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah this was announced a while ago.

NBC hasn't said as much, but I think this is at least partially due to the NHL lockout. NBC is the main broadcaster for NHL games in the states, so as the NHL keeps cancelling blocks of 2-3 weeks of games, NBC is left with gaps in their schedule, and they have ti shift everything around to fill those gaps.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yeah this was announced a while ago.

NBC hasn't said as much, but I think this is at least partially due to the NHL lockout. NBC is the main broadcaster for NHL games in the states, so as the NHL keeps cancelling blocks of 2-3 weeks of games, NBC is left with gaps in their schedule, and they have ti shift everything around to fill those gaps.
I.... don't think this is true at all. NBC only shows NHL games on Sunday afternoons. This has 0 to do wih the lockout. They're not showing Community on Sunday afternoons

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I.... don't think this is true at all. NBC only shows NHL games on Sunday afternoons. This has 0 to do wih the lockout. They're not showing Community on Sunday afternoons
Or any other day, apparently.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238
NBC remains the exclusive network home of the NHL and Versus stays as the exclusive cable home of the NHL in the United States. NBC and Versus will both feature exclusive "Game of the Week" time slots during the regular season. Between them, NBC and Versus will telecast 100 exclusive regular-season games, nearly double this just-completed regular season total.
Okay, so ESPN doesn't show hockey anymore, NBC has the deal with the NHL for the Winter Classic (A Tuesday), and for the American Thanksgiving Friday game, which the NHL has made clear they are trying to basically take over the way Football has taken over your Thanksgiving Sundays. As well as several Saturdays, and the playoffs. In a ten year deal.

I didn't say they were planning on broadcasting Community on Sunday afternoons. I said not having the slots previously filled by NHL emans they have to reassess their schedule and fill those holes, which means shifting things around.

Zappit

Zappit

Did Chevy Chase just finish off his career?
http://social.entertainment.msn.com...080&feat=4f7040f4-96ae-4ed5-95b5-9314b40ca248

He dropped the n-word in a rant about how his character could be more bigoted. Everything stopped on set for awhile.

Norris

Norris

Did Chevy Chase just finish off his career?
http://social.entertainment.msn.com...080&feat=4f7040f4-96ae-4ed5-95b5-9314b40ca248

He dropped the n-word in a rant about how his character could be more bigoted. Everything stopped on set for awhile.
I don't know, it sounds like he may have been making a good point in a really bad way. Like the article says, this isn't like a Michael Richards scenario.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It sounds like Chevy Chase is trying to get some more creative influence now that Dan Harmon is gone, but then he turns out to be Pierce.

Norris

Norris

It sounds like Chevy Chase is trying to get some more creative influence now that Dan Harmon is gone, but then he turns out to be Pierce.
The thing is, with Dan Harmon gone and the show not airing new episodes, we're missing some key information there. From the article:
Reportedly, the 69-year-old former "Saturday Night Live" star was protesting how much more bigoted his "Community" character could be made by the TV series' writers
It seems entirely possible that someone trying to write "broader" humor might take Peirce a little too far. So I don't know what to think, other than to say that Chevy Chase should know better than to use that word. After all, the natural word association from it is "dead honky".

Piotyr

Piotyr

February 7th. That's October 19th.

Gusto

Gusto

Sigh.

Piotyr

Piotyr

On the plus side, it's no longer being bumped to the Friday night death slot.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah we only have to wait FOUR ADDITIONAL MONTHS.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Hey, what can I say, maybe I'm just a glass-half-full kind of guy!

HowDroll

HowDroll

Except it's in its old time slot against The Big Bang Theory.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Something something streets ahead.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Thanks, Pierce.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Covar

Covar

Tomorrow is October 19th!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!! :aaah:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All right, NBC. American Sword Cooks and Blind/Blonde have now been announced through Community. They might have been a joke from the show, but since they were advertised, they must appear.

Your move, NBC. Your move.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I saw the season four opener today, it was arright to me. Are there a lot of in jokes I wouldn't get? I assume so.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I wanted this episode to do well. I really did.

It was bad. Just bad. The new writers read the wikipedia page about Community and figured they could totally do it. The episode was like shitty fanfiction.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I didn't think it was bad at all, just trying really hard, since the last year has been spent speculating about how much it was going to suck :/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You guys are streets behind.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

it was... okay. the sitcom style stuff really didn't work, and the rest of the abed stuff was made bearable by the end stuff, when things got weirder than 'generic sitcom.'

what did work? A lot of the other stuff, even if it wasn't a laugh-my-arse off funny episode. the tango scene, Annie and Shirley and *especially* Troy and Britta.

line that made me laugh the most?
troys "why does this feel good?!" while being strangled by britta.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, my reaction to the episode was a strong "eh, it's OK". I also agree that the sitcom thing did not work at all.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, my reaction to the episode was a strong "eh, it's OK". I also agree that the sitcom thing did not work at all.
"Greendale Babies" even less so. I skipped through both "Winger's speech" sections. They were there apparently because the new showrunners thought there had to be a "Winger's speech" in there somewhere.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Most recent episode was an improvement over the others.

I think what this season lacks is teeth. Everyone's just a little too nice. I'm pretty sure that's how NBC wanted it--a nicer, more broadly accepted Community. By studio dictate, we likely aren't going to see it ever get back to first three season levels of greatness because the people working on the show now want to keep their shows.

Likely it isn't going to matter. NBC clearly hates this thing and is probably going to kill it at the end of this half-season.

klew

klew

Given that this is season 4, it seems like a good time to let them "graduate" even though community colleges don't really work on a 4-5 year system. Not just probably, unless the ratings climb to CBS-levels, there is no doubt NBC is not going to renew the show beyond this season.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thanksgiving episode was the best of the season so far. Donald Glover seems to be getting the best one-liners too.

Season 4 DVD is up for pre-order: $31.99 on Amazon. That's fucked up. It's half the episodes as the other seasons, yet I feel like if I don't buy it, I'm contributing to the end of the show (which NBC does anyway).

NBC sucks.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am now completely caught up with Community! I feel more whole now.

Any whoozles, I don't know how they'd continue the show with-out Pierce. Would the bring in Chang as their NEW 7th? If so, it'd seem kinda obvious to me.

Krisken

Krisken

I think Chevy's character is better this season. I'm not even sure why I like the character better, really.

Gusto

Gusto

This season hasn't been awful!

Covar

Covar

This seasons been great. I think to many people have unrealistic expectations.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I really hope they have another evil Abed episode, that one where he tryed to darken the main time-line was awesome.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I thought the season got off to a bit of a rough start, but I think they found their footing. The Thanksgiving episode was great. Lots of laughs and lots of feels.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I loved Jeff's brother Willy Jr, he's like the bizarro Jeff.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really hope they have another evil Abed episode, that one where he tryed to darken the main time-line was awesome.
I think you missed the point of Abed's closure in that episode--the evil Abed is gone.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly haven't been able to get back into it... the halloween episode was just... ugh, it was just terrible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I honestly haven't been able to get back into it... the halloween episode was just... ugh, it was just terrible.
Germans episode, Thanksgiving episode.

Seriously, try them. You can skip the Inspector Space/Time episode if you want.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think you missed the point of Abed's closure in that episode--the evil Abed is gone.
Yes I did miss that, I was just wound up in the awesome hilarity that is Abed.

And I don't know what y'all are saying about the new season, I went on a Community bender and this season seems just as good as the other three.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

When we started the new season, we were rewatching too. I think the first episode is as good as an episode of season 1. Two and three, not so great. Four and five are back to season 2 and 3's standards. I think people forget that season 1 was good, but the show had to find its way first. So here it had to do it again. I have no problem with the new season aside from the DVD's price.

linglingface

linglingface

I loved when they made American Doctor Spacetime. :3

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I loved when they made American Doctor Spacetime. :3
"I hate you." :D

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

RENEWED. 13 episodes for season 5.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Really? It felt like the last episode there was a solid enough conclusion to me. It was the oddest "paintball" episode, but I enjoyed it. But yeah, I'm surprised it's been renewed after a hit-and-miss season and lower ratings.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

NBC is really in shambles. Every other network would have cancelled Community twice

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

NBC sucks, but Community is still a good show. Not as great as it was, but there were still good and great episodes this past season.

I'm guessing season 5 will be the rest of the group's last semester, with Jeff coming in to visit. Sans Chevy Chase.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I admit this season wasn't as funny, but I still really liked it. I am also glad they got a season renewal, because to be honest while the season 4 finale works as a season finale as a series final nnnnnnnnnnnnnot so muuuuuuuuuuuuuch. Which is ironic, since I find that the season 3 finale would've been a better series finale dramatically. But hey, SEASON FIVE BITCHES! YES!

I am also glad that they didn't write out Pierce out by killing him off and instead made him graduate. Was anyone else worried about that happening? I know thats worst case scenario, but it was in the back of my mind. I guess I'm just a worrier, 'swhy my friends call me Whiskers.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I was kind of in denial about the season finale, but the longer I think about it, the more I realize that shit was awful. I still want more of the show, but that last episode fan-fuck really wanted me to turn in the towel. Ah well.

BananaHands

BananaHands

This season made me wish community WAS cancelled. Can't wait for the next to see them continue to re-hash all the same old jokes and write the characters like a teenager writing fanfics.[DOUBLEPOST=1368312802][/DOUBLEPOST]See also: >:|

E

Eliwood

I thought season 4 was okay until I started rewatching the previous three seasons and was reminded of how amazing the show used to be. There were a couple good episodes in 4 but like the man with the bananas on his hands said, so much of it felt like bad fanfiction. But hey, maybe my incredibly low expectations for season 5 will actually make it seem better.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The lackluster finale was worth it for the awesome "The Cape" joke

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I liked some of the finale, not other parts. I hated that Evil Pierce was alive in the darkest timeline as that ruins why it was so dark, but I loved the trick that was played on him. If anything was weak, it was Jeff's graduations speech, but then Joe McHale sold it anyway.

The episode before it was much better (and then they abandoned the whole City College thing anyway).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

DAN HARMON RETURNS FOR FIFTH SEASON!

No longer the darkest timeline! :D Fuck yeah!

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I finally got around to watching the 4th season. Eh, it was ok. Didn't have the "oh my god this is freakin' epic" episode that the other seasons got one or so each of, but at no point did I feel like not punching up the next one to watch. And I wouldn't call myself a die hard community fan.

I did chortle at the increasingly transparent handwaved excuses for "Where's Pierce?"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I liked this season, but it DEFS had more stress on drama than comedy. I mean hell that speech Jeff gave to his dad...damn.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Donald Glover is leaving the show after the fifth episode of season 5.

Frank

Frank

Ouch, that's a loss.

Krisken

Krisken

Hopefully to act in something better than that movie where he and his two friends are junior detectives as adults.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He's apparently starting a TV show on FX.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Donald Glover is leaving the show after the fifth episode of season 5.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hopefully to act in something better than that movie where he and his two friends are junior detectives as adults.
Derrik Comedy is the reason I knew both Donald Glover and Bobby Moynihan before they ever became famous. Their Bro Rape video is hilarious.

Also, if it weren't for Mystery Team, Donald Glover never would have been on Community. It was after watching that movie that Dan Harmon cast him.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Soooooooooo, no Chevy Chase AND no Donald Glover? This ain't boding well. Fleh, at least Jim Rash is staying.

Krisken

Krisken

Derrik Comedy is the reason I knew both Donald Glover and Bobby Moynihan before they ever became famous. Their Bro Rape video is hilarious.

Also, if it weren't for Mystery Team, Donald Glover never would have been on Community. It was after watching that movie that Dan Harmon cast him.
Terrifying.