[TV] Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Community is currently my favorite show on TV. Last week's episode was fantastic, and I completely missed a subplot that went on entirely in the background:

Basically, while everyone else on the show was all caught up with death and dying, Abed spent the whole episode in the background helping a pregnant woman deliver a baby into the world.

Community is a wonderful show. Easily the highlight of NBC's Thursday night shows, especially with Outsourced now replacing Parks and Rec.

I watched the first few episodes and thought it was horrible. Maybe I'll check out some of the later ones if it really gets better.

I watched it, saw the pregnant woman in the background in all those scenes but did not realize (other than the first scene) it was Abed with her. Well done! And what a great counter to that show's main theme.

R

Reboneer

By far the best comedy currently on TV.

Also, although Amazon gave me a delivery estimate of November 8, my DVDs of season 1 arrived yesterday :D

(Also, Outsourced is complete shit and I hope it's cancelled soon).

I did not notice that. Holy crap. Anyhow, what I love about the show is that it is essentially a high schooler sitcom but with heavily flawed adults as the main characters. Such a simple idea and it so works.

(Also, Outsourced is complete shit and I hope it's cancelled soon).
I wouldn't say "COMPLETE shit", as it has moments of cleverness....but the movie it is based on is far more genuinely funny and engaging.

I saw the Abed actions in the background and wondered if any of the other characters would notice or comment, or at least wonder where he was during the A storyline.

My roommate just got this on DVD a few days ago. I just started watching it yesterday. And I've finished all of season one and caught up in season 2 already.
This is the funniest show on TV since Arrested Development was cancelled.

Outsourced?

Jesus fucking Christ. If Community gets axed for Outsourced it really must be the God damn end times.

Outsourced?

Jesus fucking Christ. If Community gets axed for Outsourced it really must be the God damn end times.
Considering Two and a Half Men has been the number one comedy on TV for several years I lost faith in humanity.[/QUOTE]
Christ in a bucket, I've only seen snippets of that awful rancid piece of TV meat. I blame all the moronic viewers who are happy being told when to laugh.

R

Reboneer

Outsourced has only been performing decently because it has The Office as a lead in. When Community was scheduled after The Office this time last year, it was performing better than Outsourced is now, so that's something at least.

To be honest, I think they're more likely to cancel Parks and Recreation than Community, although if either of them are cancelled for fucking Outsourced, I'll be pissed.

I like "Two and a Half Men".
The laugh track on the show is excruciating. They queue it up after ever other sentence.

Alan: "Charlie, would you please not leave your black book lying around the house." Audience laughter
Charlie: "Have you seen the size of it? I can't lug it around the house." More laughter
Alan: "Charlie, are we still talking about your black book?" Audience goes crazy, people do cartwheels up and down the aisles and the streets run with blood.
Keep in mind these are THE BEST moments from Season 5:
Of course my wife watches the show so I'm well versed in the show. But put it up against shows like "It's Always Sunny" or "Modern Family" and it just falls flat.

The above video is a perfect example of this show. Not only do they tell a lame joke, then they explain the joke and run it into the ground, all while the laugh track convinces us this is funny. But I have never liked John Cryer or Charlie Sheen and seeing both of them make me want to punch them in the face. And the kid is not much better.
Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?

I actually wasn't as crazy about the zombie Halloween episode. It was really good, but I actually think first season's Halloween episode was better. They weren't really parodying zombie movies so much as just making one, and that's why I thought it wasn't as good as it should have been. I felt like it would have been funnier if they had played up the food poisoning/flu aspect, rather than having it be a rabies type disease. Course then you wouldn't have the biting, so I don't know how they would have parodied the genre successfully.
Also it bugged me that Abed said to Troy "Be the first black man to make it to the end." In a zombie movie parody. Zombie movies are the exception to that trope (Night, Dawn, and Day all had black guys surviving to the end), and Abed of all people should know that. My roommate says that Dan Harmon actually addressed this in his twitter account, and said he knows zombie movies are the exception to the rule, . So I take some relief in that.

That being said, the episode was still hilarious. Abed and Troy's partnered costume was great. Senor Chang was hilarious as always. I loved everyone not knowing who Shirley was dressed as and much of the zombie movie stuff was spot on. Just as one would expect.

This show just gets better and better. Tonight's episode borrowed from "The Secret Garden" and "Robocop". Both were great stories. Who doesn't remember the joy of their first trampoline?

The laugh track on the show is excruciating. They queue it up after ever other sentence.

Alan: "Charlie, would you please not leave your black book lying around the house." Audience laughter
Charlie: "Have you seen the size of it? I can't lug it around the house." More laughter
Alan: "Charlie, are we still talking about your black book?" Audience goes crazy, people do cartwheels up and down the aisles and the streets run with blood.
Of course my wife watches the show so I'm well versed in the show. But put it up against shows like "It's Always Sunny" or "Modern Family" and it just falls flat.

The above video is a perfect example of this show. Not only do they tell a lame joke, then they explain the joke and run it into the ground, all while the laugh track convinces us this is funny. But I have never liked John Cryer or Charlie Sheen and seeing both of them make me want to punch them in the face. And the kid is not much better.
Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?[/QUOTE]

I got 3 minutes into the two and half men best of thing before closing it.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

I just saw the latest episode. It was incredibly good. This show never lets me down.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Community this week was great. I was expecting Troy to pull the line "Get away from him (Abed) you bitch" in the suit. Their version worked so much better "Why did I think this was going to work?[/QUOTE]

I got 3 minutes into the two and half men best of thing before closing it.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED![/QUOTE]

I couldn't even make it that far. Well done.

Really enjoyed their take on a bottle episode, as they tied in some plot points from earlier episodes that I assumed they'd ignore in favor of the status quo.

Man, why'd we stop talking about this show? The bottle episode was fantastic! Did anyone happen to re-watch it and spot the solution as it happened on screen? Took me three times viewing to catch it.

And last night's episode was great as well. The whole blanket city bit had me going, especially Britta.

No apologies for bumping such an old thread. Much apologies for not watching until tonight. Caught up with the first part later via Hulu. Too many awesome bits to count.

J

Joe Johnson

yeah, I just got into it recently as well - mainly because of this thread, so...thanks for that.

I thought the 2 part finale was pretty awesome. Now I need to go back and watch season1.

I hadn't seen an episode since the Pulp Fiction one, but I finally caught up last night. I was, at first, a little disappointed that "For a Few Paintballs More" didn't continue the western theme of "A Fistfull of Paintballs", but the episode turned out fantastic anyway! I LOVE THIS SHOW. Best thing on TV is right.

You are human tennis elbow. You are pizza burn on the roof of the world's mouth. You are the opposite of Batman.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.