Comic Book News

Now all we need is a Superman story based in a pre-New 52 universe and order will be restored.
Actually? There's a digital-first comic Adventures of Superman that does basically that. It's a series of short stories, usually one issue a piece by a different creative team each time. So far, there's one collected edition of it, which I greatly enjoyed. First time I've been able to enjoy new Superman stories for a good long while.

But of course, because we can't have nice things, it's already planned for cancellation. :(

Actually? There's a digital-first comic Adventures of Superman that does basically that. It's a series of short stories, usually one issue a piece by a different creative team each time. So far, there's one collected edition of it, which I greatly enjoyed. First time I've been able to enjoy new Superman stories for a good long while.

But of course, because we can't have nice things, it's already planned for cancellation. :(
It's a shame to hear it's being cancelled. It had a good share of enjoyable stories.

I haven't really been reading much of New 52. I've dropped out of it for the most part, but I've been meaning to check out more of what China Mieville had been doing with Dial H. Honestly, the main DC title I've been checking out at all is Batman '66.

The only thing from DC's main line was Animal Man and Swamp Thing. And I haven't read any of either since the end of the Rotworld crossover.

The only thing from DC's main line was Animal Man and Swamp Thing. And I haven't read any of either since the end of the Rotworld crossover.
Yeah, both of those titles were good. Most of what was good in the New 52, in my opinion, have been the lesser-known titles, like those and stuff like Demon Knights and All-Star Western (at least the earlier portions).

I should add Batwoman to that list, as well. And while I've only read the first volume of Scott Snyder's Batman, it was pretty solid. I'm just not a big fan of Capullo's art in general. I've only read the first volume of Aquaman, but that was pretty fun, too. Honestly, there were some things to enjoy early on in the New 52, but the universe as a whole has really soured me. I miss the DC Universe that made me a fan of it in the first place.

fade

Staff member
Those really are beautiful. At least someone at DC remembers what made DC special. It doesn't need to be Marvel II. Marvel took on Goliath in the 60s because they were different. Their stone was the realistic superhero. Now DC is trying to take on Marvel by being Marvel, which isn't how it works. Superman doesn't need to be Spider-Man. He needs to be Superman.

I can read a DC comic and have fun. There's dreck in both companies and there's good in both companies.

The only DC regular universe title I'm reading is Harley Quinn. Bizarre, fun and a little violent. Only other title I give money to DC for is Astro City, which is still one of my favorite reads each month.

Comics Alliance has a pretty good interview up with Greg Rucka

Greg Rucka said:
Denny was fond of saying “We don’t ask why the Batmobile doesn’t get caught in traffic.” That is apparently the corollary to the Archie Goodwin saying about how the entire DC Universe is an inverted pyramid built on a secret identity that’s a pair of glasses. If you want to tear it apart, you can do so with ease. You’re not nearly as clever or smart as you think you are if you decide to go and nitpick it and tear it down, because there are loose threads everywhere. All that proves is that you’re a killjoy. [Laughs] If you want to take it apart, it’s very easy to do, but that’s not the point. You either accept the world you’re in or you don’t. If you do, you’re going to have a blast. If you don’t, you better find something else to read, because you’re going to be very unhappy
Greg Rucka Reflects On His Batman Work, Part One [Interview]

fade

Staff member
That's okay. Bleach will run another 500 chapters before Ichigo actually makes it to the palace.

I'm mainly just impressed one of the Big Three has the balls to end. One Piece is going to go on for-fucking-ever, I'm sure, because it's basically the most popular manga of all time, and while Kubo said he wanted to end Bleach, with the way he writes that could be another 500+ issues like fade said.

I'd ask why, but hell, after Guardians of the Galaxy making gangbusters money, I imagine Marvel's willing to risk a few more weird books.

I'd ask why, but hell, after Guardians of the Galaxy making gangbusters money, I imagine Marvel's willing to risk a few more weird books.
I've been doing some looking into this Squirrel Girl comic. The team that will be working on it is writer Ryan North (who has done the Adventure Time comics) and artist Erica Henderson. The set-up looks to be that, even though she has defeated some major villains, those are feats mostly known to a few superheroes (considering they were all off-panel, with the exception of Dr. Doom) and the general public just sees her as a kooky lady who hangs out with squirrels and fights crime in Central Park. So, she decides to try to fulfill her full potential and goes to college. They're looking to make this a more "all-ages" title among the stuff in the Marvel Universe.

The latest Archie cross-over:

Dark Horse Comics and Archie Comics are combining two popular franchises for Archie Meets Predator, a four-issue series coming in spring 2015 by writer Alex de Campi (Grindhouse) that puts Archie and the gang in the alien hunter's sights while they're on spring break in Costa Rica.

(via io9, USA Today)

You mean this guy?

I actually have this issue in a box somewhere. I remember it being really weird, but a nice change of pace from the Death of Superman stuff I had been reading at the time.

He has initial 4 issue run, then he wasn't seen again until The Initiative where Marvel pulled out all their Z list heroes.

fade

Staff member
"All the recent changes to the comic were a huge flop! Lets find some way to reverse them ASAP!"