Comic Book News

Just said what I read hombre, and I am buying the SHIT out of that! Especially since it'll TECHNICALLY be the first Lobo comic in years-NOT-counting "Lobo Prime's" comic.

Just said what I read hombre, and I am buying the SHIT out of that! Especially since it'll TECHNICALLY be the first Lobo comic in years-NOT-counting "Lobo Prime's" comic.
Oh, I thought you were stating a wish, not something you'd read about. I was so shocked when I saw it this morning :p.

And yeah, I'm buying it to. Probably pre-ordering it since I don't get out of work until late anymore and odds are it'll be sold out at the store unless I have them order me a copy. Same for Batman/Elmer Fudd.

fade

Staff member
I kind of want to read some GotG. I've read a lot of comics in my day, but never GotG. I only knew about them from crossover stuff.

I just got my nephew a subscription for the new series. I wanted to get one for myself too.
I'm doing that too. Hopefully doesn't get cancelled like the writer's Nova series earlier this year

I kind of want to read some GotG. I've read a lot of comics in my day, but never GotG. I only knew about them from crossover stuff.
I'm going to echo what others told me last year and say to start with the Dan Abnett stuff. Annihilation: Conquest: Star Lord is the formation of the team, and then Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) continues off from that. I think it's a three-year series from there; I still need to finish reading it.

Tom King writing a twelve-issue Miracle Man maxi series that starts in August. This sounds excellent and based on Omega Men and Vision, I'm sure it will be.
I was wondering if the right where finally sorted out there for a minute... But it's a Mister Miracle series... not a Marvelman/Miracleman one.

Captain Marvel/Marvelman/Miracleman rights were all sorted out a few years back. Long story short, Todd McFarlane's a piece of shit, and Marvel owns the rights.

I heard that a few years back too, but i assumed the fact that the character hasn't shown up anywhere yet meant there was still something about it.

I mean Angela is like Thor's long dimension lost sister now, right...

I heard that a few years back too, but i assumed the fact that the character hasn't shown up anywhere yet meant there was still something about it.

I mean Angela is like Thor's long dimension lost sister now, right...
It is a bit of a leap for a retcon, but I like the way Angela works in the Marvel cosmic universe. I was disappointed they cancelled Queen of Hel, but I'm glad she can still pop up in Thor or GotG. Now, if I could only get my hands on her new action figure...

Marvel cancels Black Panther and the Crew.

How many issues have come out? Two. Fucking two. Why bother making a new book in the first place if you're going to cancel it ASAP?

How many issues have come out? Two. Fucking two. Why bother making a new book in the first place if you're going to cancel it ASAP?
Because they're doubling and tripling down on their Nazi bullshit.

The series should have never been made in the first place. It and World of Wakanda never came near Black Panther's numbers before those books came out and harms the "line" not only by canibalising the "A" book because there is no real demand for other Black Panther titles, but they cause confusion and frustration among customers. It's why putting out 4 Guardians of the Galaxy series right before FCBD with no real sales hook between them was a terrible idea.

Having said that, the book is being "cancelled" after #6 (like it was ever intended to be anything more than a mini-series to start with), and if the book is not selling well now (likely true considering Black Panther is tanking hard, and World of Wakanda is a bust) why not rip the bandaid off now? Shops will lower orders to subs (if they haven't already), the few people reading it will get to finish the story and that's that.

Last thought related to this. Comic sales don't trend upwards without a significant marketing and creative shift, and Marvel prefers to replace the marketing with slap a new #1 on it (Sometimes even if they don't relaunch a title).

I recently borrowed the first volume of that writer's run on Black Panther from the library. To be honest, I couldn't get into it. I'm sure it had its fans and it was well regarded, but I couldn't see it, myself.

But yeah, like many other Marvel books, the constant changing and rebooting of the title doesn't surprise that it failed to meet sales expectations.

The series should have never been made in the first place. It and World of Wakanda never came near Black Panther's numbers before those books came out and harms the "line" not only by canibalising the "A" book because there is no real demand for other Black Panther titles, but they cause confusion and frustration among customers. It's why putting out 4 Guardians of the Galaxy series right before FCBD with no real sales hook between them was a terrible idea.

Having said that, the book is being "cancelled" after #6 (like it was ever intended to be anything more than a mini-series to start with), and if the book is not selling well now (likely true considering Black Panther is tanking hard, and World of Wakanda is a bust) why not rip the bandaid off now? Shops will lower orders to subs (if they haven't already), the few people reading it will get to finish the story and that's that.

Last thought related to this. Comic sales don't trend upwards without a significant marketing and creative shift, and Marvel prefers to replace the marketing with slap a new #1 on it (Sometimes even if they don't relaunch a title).
I agree, there was no reason to make it, except to try for a #1 sales jump. It feels like Marvel would benefit from doing more set mini-series or even Tom King-style maxi-series, but that would assume the point was to put out a solid book, rather than just get some quick sales before cancelling it. And the Guardians stuff is of concern too. They just killed Duggan's Nova series, and now they've got All-New GOTG by him pressed against a mini and some other GOTG stuff. They've stated All-New GOTG will be The Cosmic Book for the foreseeable future, but is that true or is it going to get cancelled too? Al Ewing seems to already be orchestrating Marvel's current cosmic side in The Ultimates. I don't know what to believe. I think I've said elsewhere, I'm reading three new series of theirs right now: All-New GOTG, Scarlet Spider, and Secret Warriors. I don't have any idea what to expect for their futures; there's no way I know of to check a book's sales until two or three months have passed.

Marvel isn't under any obligation to keep a book going that isn't making sales, but it's stupid to keep putting out books and give them zero support. They don't need more titles right now when they're already putting out so many. I get that series don't trend upwards normally, but there's killing a book that won't sell and there's unwillingness to find an audience. It doesn't seem Marvel is even interesting in books finding audiences anymore; just getting more of those #1's out there. That's why I have little hope for Generations/Legacy to be the kind of revitalization for Marvel that Rebirth has been for DC, because DC made it very clear that they'd learned from their mistakes and owed their fans an apology, while Marvel doesn't seem to realize most of what it's been doing wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1494778890,1494778846][/DOUBLEPOST]
I recently borrowed the first volume of that writer's run on Black Panther from the library. To be honest, I couldn't get into it. I'm sure it had its fans and it was well regarded, but I couldn't see it, myself.

But yeah, like many other Marvel books, the constant changing and rebooting of the title doesn't surprise that it failed to meet sales expectations.
I would love to know just what their sales expectations are.

I have no groan that gives my disgust justice, but here we go.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yeah, still not enough. I knew this was coming, but still. Fuck off, DC. Just fuck off.

Last edited:

I have no groan that gives my disgust justice, but here we got.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yeah, still not enough. I knew this was coming, but still. Fuck off, DC. Just fuck off.
I gotta ask, why do you care what's happening in DC when you've sworn off it? You kinda act like each announcement or mention is someone trying to convince you to read DC again, but that's nowhere close to true. And it's not like Watchmen is the holy artifact that Alan Moore thinks it is.

Though an eyeroll goes to Geoff Johns, not for the story itself, but for that tweet. Like really, your Flash run, your Green Lantern run, it was all for this? Surrrrre.

But either way, if it turns out interesting then cool, and if not then it's not going to ruin other books since DC seems to be doing better about not interrupting the ongoings except Justice League. It's not like this is coming out of nowhere; the Rebirth one-shot could not have made this more obvious.[DOUBLEPOST=1494851642,1494851203][/DOUBLEPOST]Article quotes Johns saying this will be a standalone thing, no tie-ins, no crossovers:

"We’re not going to do a story like this unless we one-thousand percent believe in it. It is all about the story; it is only about the story. There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one. This is a standalone story.

Reactions: Cog
Only Alan Moore can write characters that that were not originally created by Alan Moore once he uses them!

Comic writers and DC have treated Alan Moore and his work than he has ever shown them, past, present, & future. Fuck him, and let's get off the train that Watchmen is some kind of holy work. It's not, it's just his Mircaleman 2.0

My beef is that Watchmen was a self-contained story with particular themes and commentary on the industry at the time. There is absolutely no reason to introduce the characters into the DCU. They'll do this big story, some characters will be part of the universe for awhile, and then they'll become tiny, fifth-string characters (at best) while DC's already large stable of characters keep chugging along. They've done this with Milestone amd Wildstorm characters, as well. There is absolutely no reason to introduce them into the DCU.

It's not a holy artifact, but it really is a great piece of literature. I'm not this or Before Watchmen waters down its greatness. I just think it's stupidly unnecessary.

I KNOW it's been coming, and I know it's been building up. I dont care.

And the reason I bitch and moan about this is because I miss enjoying new DC comics. I miss being excited for new stories, new books, new creative teams. But with all the reboots, rebirths, restructurings, events, and revamps, it feels alienating to me. Rebirth was supposed to draw the old fans like me back in, but it only pissed me off further because the so- called #1s weren't some fresh start. You couldn't read the Superman titles without understanding what happened in Convergence, the Lois & Clark mini, or a lot of the new 52 stuff. I love the idea of Jon existing but it's sloppily shoe horned in while they restructure continuity so he always existed. It's not earned.

But as I said, what makes me so upset about DC is that I wish I could share the excitememt others like yourself have for Rebirth and everything with it. And it honestly pains me as a long time fan that I cant.

I guess this would be a bad time to mention that Wildstorm is back?

I think the whole point is to undo New 52 and do so in a way that is a story rather than only a decision. Of course Watchmen is not the only way DC could do this, but with this being a multiverse, I assume there's a universe that is Watchmen untouched and another that is the Watchmen that will crossover. It doesn't need to be permanent if it's an engaging story, especially if it's not interrupting stuff.

Rebirth was supposed to draw the old fans like me back in, but it only pissed me off further because the so- called #1s weren't some fresh start. You couldn't read the Superman titles without understanding what happened in Convergence, the Lois & Clark mini, or a lot of the new 52 stuff. I love the idea of Jon existing but it's sloppily shoe horned in while they restructure continuity so he always existed. It's not earned.

But as I said, what makes me so upset about DC is that I wish I could share the excitememt others like yourself have for Rebirth and everything with it. And it honestly pains me as a long time fan that I cant.
You really didn't need all that shit and now you especially don't. And while I'd love to elaborate on it with you, I feel like you're gonna see it as me creeping out of an alley going "Hey, Nick, wanna try some DC? Come on, just one Superman comic. All the cool kids are doing it. You wanna be cool, don't ya?" :p

But either way, if it turns out interesting then cool, and if not then it's not going to ruin other books since DC seems to be doing better about not interrupting the ongoings except Justice League. It's not like this is coming out of nowhere; the Rebirth one-shot could not have made this more obvious.[DOUBLEPOST=1494851642,1494851203][/DOUBLEPOST]Article quotes Johns saying this will be a standalone thing, no tie-ins, no crossovers:
The bi-weekly releasees are spoiling me. So far of the 4 crossovers that I can recall, 3 lasted no longer than a month, and 1 (Justice League vs Suicide Squad) went for 6 weeks. both "Justice League vs Suicide Squad" and "Night of the Monster Men" had their stories run through 3 titles, "Superman: Reborn" and "The Button" only 2. "Superman Reborn" and "Night of the Monster Men" stayed within their lines. Action Comics & Superman, and Batman, Detective Comics, & Nightwing respectively. Which is pretty great since readers of one were probably more inclined to read and like the others anyway. "The Button" and "Justice League vs Suicide Squad" jumped across lines, but in a manner that makes storytelling sense.

Basically the way DC has been running their events has been incredibly reasoned and restrained. Nurturing, not demanding excitement from readers, and using the events to showcase 1-2 other titles that the reader might be interested in continuing if they enjoyed the characters and story.

The bi-weekly releasees are spoiling me. So far of the 4 crossovers that I can recall, 3 lasted no longer than a month, and 1 (Justice League vs Suicide Squad) went for 6 weeks. both "Justice League vs Suicide Squad" and "Night of the Monster Men" had their stories run through 3 titles, "Superman: Reborn" and "The Button" only 2. "Superman Reborn" and "Night of the Monster Men" stayed within their lines. Action Comics & Superman, and Batman, Detective Comics, & Nightwing respectively. Which is pretty great since readers of one were probably more inclined to read and like the others anyway. "The Button" and "Justice League vs Suicide Squad" jumped across lines, but in a manner that makes storytelling sense.

Basically the way DC has been running their events has been incredibly reasoned and restrained. Nurturing, not demanding excitement from readers, and using the events to showcase 1-2 other titles that the reader might be interested in continuing if they enjoyed the characters and story.
It's been nice, yeah. Only two or three titles affected, only for a month or so at worst. This is the way it should be done. I wish Marvel could understand that.

I'm probably getting Doomsday Clock. Johns seems really passionate about this, which is obviously better than phoning it in, and talked about exploring the newfound hopefulness of DC versus Watchmen's realism, and said that while other characters will be involved, the story is mainly about Superman and Dr. Manhattan. Central to it being that Dr. Manhattan was a human who became alien and then alienated himself from humanity, while Superman is an alien who has immersed himself in humans and not only embraces, but represents the best in humanity.

Hoping this leans conversation > battles. Still many months away.

Depending on the creative teams involved, I might check this out.

Meanwhile, over at Marvel: "Uh. Who's Jack Kirby again? He was the guy that drew all of Stan Lee's ideas, right?"

Depending on the creative teams involved, I might check this out.

Meanwhile, over at Marvel: "Uh. Who's Jack Kirby again? He was the guy that drew all of Stan Lee's ideas, right?"
Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Marvel ... *sigh*

Creative teams should be known when we get August solicits later this month.

Good Marvel (ie the MCU)
That's more appropriate than it should be.

I wish stuff like Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl were under an imprint like DC has Young Animal so I could differentiate that wonderful stuff from whatever is happening in the core of Marvel Comics.

Jack Kirby one-shots for August:

THE NEW GODS SPECIAL #1
Written by SHANE DAVIS • Art by SHANE DAVIS and MICHELLE DELECKI • Backup story written by and art by WALTER SIMONSON • Cover by SHANE DAVIS and MICHELLE DELECKI
In a feature length story, Orion and Lightray must come to the aid of Forager and his people, as Kalibak has established a brutal dictatorship over the Bug colony. In confronting his evil brother, Orion faces the darker side of his own nature. And, in a back-up story, master comics writer/artist Walter Simonson tells a tale of a young Orion and his friend Seagrin. Also includes a reprint of a classic New Gods tale by Jack Kirby!
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 2 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

THE NEWSBOY LEGION AND THE BOY COMMANDOS SPECIAL #1
Written by HOWARD CHAYKIN • Art and cover by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Jack Kirby’s two wartime kid gangs share their first adventure together in a novel-length tale written and illustrated by Howard Chaykin! When the Boy Commandos arrive in New York on the trail of a secret Axis agent, they’re greeted as turf invaders by the crime-fighting Newsboys! Can these kids put aside their rivalry and join forces to protect the home front? Also features a Kirby reprint!
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 9 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

THE SANDMAN SPECIAL #1
Written by DAN JURGENS and STEVE ORLANDO • Art by JON BODGANOVE and RICK LEONARDI • Cover by PAUL POPE
Don’t miss two new tales starring Jack Kirby’s costumed Master of Nightmares from the 1970s. Sandman, Brute and Glob battle an onslaught of dreams so powerful that they are invading the dreams of other people! Then, a grown-up Jed Walker returns to his childhood home, only to find himself haunted by dreams from the past. Plus: a seldom-seen Sandman story from the 1970s!
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 16 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

MANHUNTER SPECIAL #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN and DAN DiDIO • Art by NICK BRADSHAW • Backup story written by SAM HUMPHRIES • Backup story art by KLAUS JANSON • Cover by BRUCE TIMM
Big-game hunter and private detective Paul Kirk has marshaled his skills to fight crime as the masked vigilante known as Manhunter. But now crime has reached epidemic proportions that may push him to the limits—and draw the attention of the Golden Age heroes Sandman and Sandy! Plus: a short story featuring Etrigan the Demon by writer Sam Humphries and artist Klaus Janson and a Golden Age reprint.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 23 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

DARKSEID SPECIAL #1
Written by MARK EVANIER • Art by SCOTT KOLINS • Backup story written by SAM HUMPHRIES • Backup story art by STEVE RUDE • Cover by CHRIS BURNHAM
Mark Evanier, longtime Kirby associate and biographer (Kirby: King of Comics), tells a tale starring one of Jack’s greatest villains. The latest daring escape from the orphanage of Granny Goodness leaves an infuriated Darkseid determined to capture and punish the escapees. The Lord of Apokolips puts his best hunter on the case, but one of Granny’s students is unlike anyone he’s encountered before. Plus, an untold tale of Omac by Humphries and Rude and a classic Kirby Fourth World tale!
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

THE BLACK RACER AND SHILO NORMAN SPECIAL #1
Written by REGINALD HUDLIN • Art and cover by DENYS COWAN and BILL SIENKIEWICZ
Shilo Norman has taken up the mantle of Mister Miracle, following the example of Scott Free by cheating death on a daily basis. But when he pushes himself to the limit, the Black Racer comes calling. Now Shilo is literally running from death itself and a cosmic chase leads both target and hunter across the universe. Also featuring a Fourth-World era reprint!
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 30 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

And in the same month, Tom King's Mr. Miracle series begins. Also, also, Fourth World omnibus due out in December.