Comic Book News

I have never been clear on what actually happens to Brock when he becomes Venom. Does his body actually change, or does he wear the symbiote like a suit? If it's just a suit, how is it a symbiote?
This is one of those things that is highly plot-dependent. You would think frame grabs should be like that TMNT thing, but then there are plenty of shots of him doing something where his "real" body would have to show, but it doesn't.

--Patrick

If it's just a suit, how is it a symbiote?
Well considering it kind of copied Spidey's powers into itself, and increased them when on him, they did share a symbiotic relationship. I ean you don't have to fully integrate to have a symbiotic bond.

Marvel announces next big event; Secret Empire will be another NINE fucking issue event, with Captain America apparently the main antagonist.

I don't know if it'll be any good, but I do know I'm sick of line-wide events and I'm also not buying $5 per issue mini-series. And Kamala is on the cover, prominent as Spider-man and Wolverine, so I'm guessing her book will yet again get hijacked as it seems to every other story arc.

Pfft if you have a problem with it you're just a bigoted racist who can't handle their minority characters and you probably voted for Trump! This is going to get so many comments and shares on Tumblr from people who read a scan, and that's how you know it's a huge success. Unit sales will be high to because retailers will get extra copies they didn't want and can't sell, which is only because they run dank dark sexist dungeon stores where women are as scarce as sunlight and fabreeze.

;)

Pfft if you have a problem with it you're just a bigoted racist who can't handle their minority characters and you probably voted for Trump! This is going to get so many comments and shares on Tumblr from people who read a scan, and that's how you know it's a huge success. Unit sales will be high to because retailers will get extra copies they didn't want and can't sell, which is only because they run dank dark sexist dungeon stores where women are as scarce as sunlight and fabreeze.

;)

BananaHands

Staff member
Make Mine Marvel At ComicsPRO

Some tidbits:
Marvel Comics had a number of projects to announce to retailers at ComicsPRO in Memphis, Tennessee, this morning. I Am Groot, Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mother Entropy, The Spectacular Spider-Man – and the return to a down-on-his-luck Peter Parker, the deal with Archie Comics and the big one, Generations.

But the word, expressed to me by a number of retailers, is that as we suggested, Marvel is going to be making changes to the line through 2017 to reflect retailer concerns regarding content – but will be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I am told that the title of the fall Marvel branding will be “Make Mine Marvel”. And that this will encompass the attitude Marvel wish to engender. You could probably add “Again” on the end.

Marvel will be bringing back the classic characters to their roles – but then again, they always were. But they have been hearing from retailers who are hearing from their customers that they don’t like the fact that the Marvel Universe seems unrecognizable to them at the moment. It’s not just Steve Rogers having been replaced by Sam Wilson as Captain America, but that it’s every major character being replaced at the same time.

And more importantly, having diverse characters take over the mantles of the originals means that they will always be seen as doppelgangers. These characters need to establish their own identities.

So here’s how you don’t throw the baby out. You give characters like Miles Morales, X-23, Ironheart, Sam Wilson, Amadeus Cho and others more discernible identities – or in some cases, return them. The Generations poster should give some indication about where Marvel is headed. As is the return to making X-Men prominent again, and bringing back a bit of the old mutant dollar to comic book stores. Consider that a dry run for everything else Marvel has planned.

And while Marvel characters will remain political – in that they always have – there may be not so much wearing it on the sleeve. And for those worried about Secret Empire, retailers are assured it will be politically provocative but not partisan.

There are outreach plans, Marvel mentioned the Archie Comics plan as a way to try and get people who don’t go to comic book stores hooked on reading the Marvel movie characters in comics form, but there are plenty more to come. They say they want to make retailers money, to keep the market healthy and blame DC Comics returnability for tying up retailers cashflow for low fourth quarter sales.
tl;dr: Marvel Rebirth on the way, characters returning to their mantles soon - Marvel's woes are all DC's fault.

Yeah it's crazy how Retailers are willing to give a book a chance and spend their money when the publisher shows confidence by taking on the risk.

We ordered 2-3x our numbers for all the Rebirth number 1s and still sold out within the first week.

Make Mine Marvel At ComicsPRO

Some tidbits:

tl;dr: Marvel Rebirth on the way, characters returning to their mantles soon - Marvel's woes are all DC's fault.
I get where they're going, but it still feels like another Marvel being Marvel move. Another big summer event, and then another fall branding. It's annoying; time will tell if it's actually a good move. I could even see Secret Empire being good, but I don't want to support their shit. When's Generation X start? I want to buy that.

That Generations bit doesn't have every iteration of Captain Marvel :p.

As for DC Rebirth, I've started Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Next month looks like a great month for Superman. Batman continues kicking ass. I love Titans.

Also, also, they're talking about giving the juniors their own identities ... okay, guess Reddit's getting their way, even though DC has done this for years.

Wonder what Kamala's new superhero name will be.

I would assume she'd keep Ms. Marvel since Carol isn't using it anymore. I wonder if Nadia is going to keep hers, since I can't remember the last time Janet was an active member.

This also implies Jennifer Walters will regain She- in her name.

I'm kind of past caring. It's not the characters I'm having issues with; it's the overall cynical and mechanical approach. Each #1 I check out feels manufactured instead of organic and outside knowledge tells me how temporary each one is. Very different feel than the Rebirth one shots and first issues that each felt like something interesting was starting.

Something else that bugs me with newer Marvel stuff: there's this promise of being fresh with new or less-acclaimed characters getting solos, but is there some editorial mandate for which characters need to make the rounds? Who's fighting Arcade this week? Who gets to meet Doctor Strange? Someone should get a go at Taskmaster. Doctor Doom. Etc.

It doesn't give this stuff a chance to have its own identity, as if Marvel treats this sharing a universe as part of a checklist rather than a benefit. I'd like to see more development of a character's own world and antagonists over starting with some "intro to the Marvel universe" package.

It's really frustrating that we're into Ms. Marvel's seventh or eighth story arc and she's only just now facing her second unique antagonist. Everything's been Hydra, Inhumans nonsense, heroes fighting heroes for a while. And that's one of the good books.

it's too crazy NOT to work!
I think this sums up the Hanna Barbara comics pretty well. We certainly got a lot of people to pick them up and check them out just on the concept, the books having solid creative teams has kept people reading.

DC is making a layup by putting Tom King on the book.

GasBandit

Staff member
If we can have Archie Vs. Predator, we can have anything.

Wait, how is this going to work? Isn't Batman anti-gun and Elmer is the mascot for the NRA? Are we going to get treated to panels of, " Wabbit Season!" "Joker Season!"?
Elmer's clearly using non-lethal ordinance.