Come on, Irene (formerly about the VA quake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet you fit in so perfectly.
Well, I can't leave you to disappointment.

Go fuck yourself.

It's fucking annoying when people get all smug about natural disasters if they live in an area where they're common. My area hasn't had an earthquake in 108 years, excuse us if we find a 5.8 scale one a little odd - kinda how California would find it odd to have a balanced budget for once.

Felt it briefly in the north ga mountains. This combined with an auger digging up our fiber kinda ruined my day.

fade

Staff member
Maybe not so abrasively, but I have to agree with Mathias. Much of CA has building codes and standards designed to handle a common occurrence like this. It's not really about who has more natural disasters. It's about how used to/prepared/common the one of interest is.

Also 5.8 in CA may not be equal to a 5.8 in DC. It all depends on the calibration of the scale (which the Richter scale is notoriously bad at), and more importantly, on the materials upon which the cities are built. A lot of the coastal cities in CA are sitting on relatively stable craton material, while DC is on an ancient passive margin which is basically Jello. You can replicate the difference by hitting jello and steel with the same force (magnitude) and seeing which one you have more effect on.

But really, it was probably small. The relatively large size in a passive area is concerning, though. As steinman impressively pointed out, this could be related to the New Madrid fault (or possibly just some passive margin reactivation like the small quakes we get in Louisiana), which has historically shown fairly devastating activity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake) in areas completely unprepared.

Well, I can't leave you to disappointment.

Go fuck yourself.

It's fucking annoying when people get all smug about natural disasters if they live in an area where they're common. My area hasn't had an earthquake in 108 years, excuse us if we find a 5.8 scale one a little odd - kinda how California would find it odd to have a balanced budget for once.
Well, my comments were really more about the media once I saw more reasonable reactions from folks. I've already explained I can see how people would find it odd or interesting to get an earthquake on the east coast, but the media flipping out over something that did little to no damage is stupid. But no, that would require the slightest bit of reading comprehension on your part.

I could go on, but it would be a waste of our time. So really, let me just say "And fuck you too," and we'll leave it at that.

This earthquake may have just saved the economy. Think about it. You're going to hear story after story about how the east coast and midwest are sorely unprepared for the "Big One". That means retrofitting. Lots and lots of retrofitting over half the country. There's trillions to be made in the construction industry and related support industries. Even hotels and restaurants stand to make a mint. Those workers will need somewhere to sleep and somewhere to eat.

All we need is the right talking head to supply the right amount of FUD on TV and in print. :D

Obama isn't acting fast enough to provide aid to all the victims who's patio furniture was displaced during the earthquake. That's because he hates caucasion people.

/kanye

Tell me this: If a drop of rain threatens to fall in sunny California why does that start the whole damned state screaming into storm watch panic and a complete inability to function? We'll probably just roll through yet another hurricane this weekend. Come on over.

Was it really that bad? No. I didn't even notice it. Was driving to a client and when I arrived got right to work wondering why everyone was outside until someone asked what I thought about the earthquake that I had to admit to not noticing, which may say something about my driving style. However, much like you're all going to panic at hint of rain because you have no real drainage mechanisms and your infrastructure isn't built for rain, we aren't accustomed to earthquakes particularly not of that magnitude and range and our infrastructure is not made to handle them. Next time anyone on the left coast starts whining and bitching about rain and flooded roads and the news lights up with the top story that screams storm watch I guess we should all jump up and remind the folks out there that IT'S NOT THAT BAD!

I read a really interesting piece on CNN about how the ground of the East Coast makes earthquakes travel much farther than the West Coast.

Also: I love whoever coined the phrase for all the earthquake joke tweets afterwards "Laughter Shocks"

I was in the sub-basement of the Teddy Roosevelt Bulding in DC when it hit, just about to go up and catch my bus. Lost power for about 5 minutes. The guy in the elevator with me totally flipped the hell out. heh.
I don't blame him. At my wife's job, the quake shook one of the elevators loose and it dropped down the shaft. Fortunately there was no one in it.

That said, and also saying I'm from NY, don't feel many quakes, this was biggest one I was in--it wasn't a big deal. There was a little shaking. It was no reason for a large stretch of Maryland yuppies to go freaking out like they did yesterday. I think a lot of people used it as an excuse to go home early, not because they were actually worried about anything. The DC region freaks over every little nature-related situation. I was fully behind Obama when he called the area wussy for closing schools when there was barely any snow on the ground.

C

Chibibar

I think we all agree (well most of us) that infrastructure of city to prepare for disaster makes a huge difference and occurrence. I mean the monument is cracked from a "small quake" that just tells me the DC wasn't ready for it. Make it "quake resistant" cost money, why waste that kind of money if it doesn't happen regularly?

People in Texas goes nuts when it snows (anything 1/4inch and stick we are CLOSE) why? cause we don't get regularly. We don't spend the money to clear it out like other states (Colorado and such)

My concern is NOT of the 5.8 quake. What I'm concern is that is it a one shot deal? We never know really since the last one was 40 years ago (so I'm told) so it is possible that a larger one might occur.

GasBandit

Staff member
Interesting bit of trivia - if you're in an elevator that falls (which would require all three cables to snap AND the emergency brakes to fail), your best bet of survival is actually to lie flat on the floor of the car and cover your head. As the elevator falls it builds up a cushion of air beneath it that will slow the fall toward the end, and most also have a suspended-oil shock absorber at the very bottom as well. Lying flat on the floor distributes the shock of impact as much as possible, and you cover your head because chances are the stuff in the car's ceiling is going to rain down on you.

Don't bother trying the old "jump at the last second" thing.

These TV retards who keep referring to terrorism when reporting on the earthquake need to be punched in the face. Repeatedly.

With a brick. :facepalm:

I didn't feel anything :(

That's ok, though. I got Irene visiting this weekend, need to get ready for a weekend without power.

fade

Staff member
I am actually a bit concerned that Irene may still be a strong hurricane when it reaches the largest city in the country. Youse guys aren't really prepared for that.

Weather underground has it as a Cat2 in PA and a Tropical storm in VA/NH.

It's going to hit land on the coast of NC probably as a Cat3, Not sure how much of it is going to hit where I'm at, hopefully it won't be too bad, I've invited my sister and brother-in-law up from the coast, and am trying to come to grips with the fact that I might not be able to watch the Doctor Who premiere.

C

Chibibar

Yeah, but we were in the sub-basement. There was nowhere to fall to. ;)
Added at: 17:07

yup...here, when it snows, all the snow plows come out and clean it up in a matter of hours. I don't even think the whole state of texas has a single plow.

Incidentally, the Cathedral damage was much more extensive than previously reported: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ot-structural/2011/08/24/gIQAKa1obJ_blog.html

Evidently the damage is in the millions, and the Cathedral's insurance didn't cover earthquakes. It sucks.
yup :) I just read it http://www.theatlantic.com/national...rns-about-damage-from-hurricane-irene/244039/

worst is that if the hurricane swells up to a cat4, they are in big group.

The building aren't design for it.

As for Texas: I don't think there is a snow plow in Dallas :) we just have trucks that spread out salts stuff.

NC is evacuating, MD may be following them, and the Bahamas are being ripped to shit as we speak.

Hope everyone on the East Coast is doing okay, and listening to their emergency services. We're in "batten down the hatches" mode where I am in NJ, hopefully won't come to evacuating.

Right now, the guesstimated weather range by me (Hudson River) is anywhere from 5 mph winds and 6 inches of rain all the way up to 90 mph winds with 10 foot flooding. So I'm hoping for the former, obviously. ;)

C

Chibibar

NC is evacuating, MD may be following them, and the Bahamas are being ripped to shit as we speak.

Hope everyone on the East Coast is doing okay, and listening to their emergency services. We're in "batten down the hatches" mode where I am in NJ, hopefully won't come to evacuating.

Right now, the guesstimated weather range by me (Hudson River) is anywhere from 5 mph winds and 6 inches of rain all the way up to 90 mph winds with 10 foot flooding. So I'm hoping for the former, obviously. ;)
That is a WIDE margin.

6 inches to 10 feet? yeesh!! I hope the east coast will be ok.

Maryland evacuating? I'm guessing they mean the side that's between the ocean and DC. I'm glad I live on the other side. It's still gonna suck. The county cut down some of the more dangerous trees here just in time.

Good luck to everyone. I can't imagine NYC evacuating outside of a Roland Emmerich movie.

I'm really hoping this will be a repeat of Floyd. That would be wonderful.

Wimpy foreigners. Anyone will tell you that a Gamera sighting is a joke. Wake me when Godzilla shows up.
Hey now, that's not true since the Kaneko helmed Gamera films. The collateral damage in Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris tops anything I've seen in a Godzilla film.

Hey guys come on. If Tress really wants to brag about living in one of the shittiest areas of the country let him. It's not something I particularly care to win at.

Status
Not open for further replies.