Export thread

Cog's Medical Fund

Dave

Dave

Cog's wife is going to need reconstructive eye surgery following the Accident in which she was struck by a speeding driver. (As talked about in this thread.) This has been a pretty tough year for Cog and he doesn't have the cash for the medical bills.

So let's help him out. I know there's a lot of us with money issues. I'd be lying if I said I'm totally in the clear myself. But if you have any you can spare, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. I know we're (probably) not going to reach the $1,500 goal, but we can give it the old college try.

Some notes:
  • Because he doesn't live in the US, he can't take PayPal directly. So the money is coming to me and I'll figure out some way (Western Union?) to get it to him. If you have ideas on the subject, please by all means let me know!
  • The donation button on the side says, "Goal amount for this month". Ignore that. I had to get a new donation manager since our old one was not compatible with the updated software.
  • I've never used the new software, so if you run into any issues, please let me know and I'll get it fixed.
  • I will be adding $100 to the pot when this is all said and done, but it's not going to show up here since sending money to myself would be stupid.
Thanks for listening and thanks for helping out even if it's only a little.[DOUBLEPOST=1506550569,1506550519][/DOUBLEPOST]You can donate either by hitting the tab at the top of the page or the button in the sidebar. If you are on mobile I have no idea how it'll show up.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Done.

Dave

Dave

By the way, apparently the donation thing updates daily. So if you donate but it does nothing, it'll show tomorrow.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Are you sure you couldn't use a digital wallet of some kind? Ecuador uses the US Dollar as its currency, so I think you could get around the currency conversion issues.

Cog

Cog

Please excuse me but I'm going to write this is spanish, because I don't think I can express how I feel if I use english (Please don't expect something more expresive, I'm just not good with words in any language):

Primero quiero agradecer a todos por su apoyo. Nunca he sido parte de un grupo como este, tan dispuesto a sacrificarse y apoyar a un total desconocido como yo. Más aún porque a pesar de que he sido parte de Halforums desde hace años, nunca he participado en la parte social del grupo, utilizando el foro principalmente para quejarme y mostrar fotos de mi hija y mascotas, rara vez formando parte de la conversación. Son un grupo de personas inteligentes e interesantes y siempre me siento frustrado por no sentirme capaz de ser un miembro más en un 100%. Siempre he sido una persona tímida y no sé como expresarme ante los demás. Parte de mi todavía quiere pedir a Dave que se olvide de todo y esconderme del grupo por lo avergonzado que me siento.

Pero, estos son tiempos difíciles y debo concentrarme en el bienestar del amor de mi vida, por lo que debo olvidarme de mis traumas y de mi orgullo y debo acudir a ustedes, que ya más de una vez me han tendido la mano cuando la he necesitado, pero sólo es ahora que me veo en la necesidad de tomarla. Mi agradecimiento no tiene límites.[DOUBLEPOST=1506559365,1506559272][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are you sure you couldn't use a digital wallet of some kind? Ecuador uses the US Dollar as its currency, so I think you could get around the currency conversion issues.
I've tried to register my bank accounts in paypal, but it's not possible. Paypal doesn't exists inside del banking system in this country. I don't know of any other service. I'm able to register my credit cards, and that's how I buy games, for example, but you can't put the money back in the card.

Dave

Dave

From Google translate:

First, I want to thank everyone for their support. I've never been part of a group like this, so willing to sacrifice and support a total stranger like me. Even more so because even though I have been part of Halforums for years, I have never participated in the social part of the group, using the forum mainly to complain and show pictures of my daughter and pets, rarely being part of the conversation. They are a group of intelligent and interesting people and I am always frustrated because I do not feel able to be one more member in a 100%. I have always been a shy person and I do not know how to express myself to others. Part of me still wants to ask Dave to forget everything and hide from the group for how embarrassed I feel.

But these are difficult times and I must concentrate on the welfare of the love of my life, so I must forget my traumas and my pride and I must go to you, who have already stretched out my hand to me when I have needy, but it is only now that I find myself in need of taking it. My thanks have no limits.
First, it's fine. We've all been there.

Second, if I can get you the money some other way than Western Union I will. If not, I'll just have to eat the fees, whatever they are.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I'm just so sorry that this is happening to your family, Cog. You have our support :)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm strapped until payday, possibly until after the first week of next month... but whatever I can scrape up, he's got it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Primero quiero agradecer a todos por su apoyo. Nunca he sido parte de un grupo como este, tan dispuesto a sacrificarse y apoyar a un total desconocido como yo. Más aún porque a pesar de que he sido parte de Halforums desde hace años, nunca he participado en la parte social del grupo, utilizando el foro principalmente para quejarme y mostrar fotos de mi hija y mascotas, rara vez formando parte de la conversación. Son un grupo de personas inteligentes e interesantes y siempre me siento frustrado por no sentirme capaz de ser un miembro más en un 100%. Siempre he sido una persona tímida y no sé como expresarme ante los demás. Parte de mi todavía quiere pedir a Dave que se olvide de todo y esconderme del grupo por lo avergonzado que me siento.

Pero, estos son tiempos difíciles y debo concentrarme en el bienestar del amor de mi vida, por lo que debo olvidarme de mis traumas y de mi orgullo y debo acudir a ustedes, que ya más de una vez me han tendido la mano cuando la he necesitado, pero sólo es ahora que me veo en la necesidad de tomarla. Mi agradecimiento no tiene límites.
In case Google or whomever murders the translation, here's my go at it:
"First, I want to thank everyone for their support. Never have I been part of a group like this, so willing to personally sacrifice and support a total stranger like myself. Especially because even though I have been part of Halforums for some years, I have never participated in the social aspect of the group, using the forum mainly to vent and show pictures of my daughter and pets, rarely participating in the conversation. [The forum] is a group of intelligent and interesting people and I am always frustrated [-ing myself] that I do not feel able to be [more than] just another member in [of] a 100%. I have always been a shy person and I do not know how to express myself [before/in front of] others. Part of me still wants to ask Dave to forget everything and hide from the group for how embarrassed I feel.

But these are difficult times and I [have a duty to] concentrate [my efforts] on the welfare of the love of my life, thus I must needs forget my trauma and [swallow] my pride and I must go to you [all], who have already reached out to me repeatedly when I have needed it, but it is only now that I am realizing how much I need [this]. My thanks have no limits."

Oh, hey, Dave already ran it through Google while I was trying to simultaneously translate and yell at my kid to get back in bed a dozen times.
Well.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Did it.

Krisken

Krisken

Done. We've all been in tough spots. Love you man, hope this can help what little I can contribute.

Emrys

Emrys

I don't know about the others but I consider the Halforumites my family (actually, more than just family), which makes you my brother, so I will help you any way I can.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Payday was last week, groceries are tomorrow, we will see how much is left afterwards.
(I don't want to seem insensitive, but my first priority has to be for my more immediate family here at home)

Oh and @Dave, there's always the option of international money orders, though they max at $500-700 (depending on where they're going) I think, so you'd need to purchase a few of them, and then there's the question of getting them there reliably. He may want to let us know the best way from his end.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

Payday was last week, groceries are tomorrow, we will see how much is left afterwards.
(I don't want to seem insensitive, but my first priority has to be for my more immediate family here at home)

--Patrick
I don't think that's insensitive. Of course you have to take care of your immediate family first.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't think that's insensitive. Of course you have to take care of your immediate family first.
I have to keep reminding myself that I shouldn't feel guilty for doing so. It's saved me (us!) quite a few times. Wish I'd learned it sooner.

--Patrick

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I get paid tomorrow, I'll donate what I can. :heart:

Cog

Cog

Again, I don't know how to say this. I appreciate all your help, but please don't over exert yourselves for us.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Again, I don't know how to say this. I appreciate all your help, but please don't over exert yourselves for us.
Medical expenses have an annoying habit of running over, sooOOOooooo....

SUATMMC.jpg

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I have to keep reminding myself that I shouldn't feel guilty for doing so. It's saved me (us!) quite a few times. Wish I'd learned it sooner.

--Patrick
Never feel guilty for that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If not, I'll just have to eat the fees, whatever they are.
Not a lot, especially when sending to another country. I don't know the exact rates off the top of my head, but it should be around $10 for up to $1000. More than that I'd have to double check, because things get wonky with anti money laundering laws.

Source- western union agent is one of my many hats.

Dave

Dave

The amounts are not updating with the cron job. Don't know why.

Right now the donated amount is $600. (Although after PayPal fees this drops to $550.37.)

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

That's an awesome start!

drifter

drifter

Damn, PayPal takes a bigger cut than I realized.

Dave

Dave

Looking at the addon itself, there's a couple of items that haven't hit my PayPal yet. Probably because they are coming from somewhere other than the US. If you add those in, the total is sitting at $1405 BEFORE PayPal fees. And I have no idea what that would take it to. And that is also NOT counting my $100.

So we're almost there already! Then I have to figure out how to get it to him.

Cog

Cog

I'm speechless. Thank you!

PatrThom

PatrThom

The amounts are not updating with the cron job. Don't know why.

Right now the donated amount is $600. (Although after PayPal fees this drops to $550.37.)
Do you mean that the amount getting to YOU is dropping due to PayPal's fees? Or is that how much will go to Cog after taking out the fees?

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Do you mean that the amount getting to YOU is dropping due to PayPal's fees? Or is that how much will go to Cog after taking out the fees?

--Patrick
Yes. PayPal takes fees and then there’s going to be fees to send it to Cog. So if you donate $100 I get $95 or so to send.

blotsfan

blotsfan

For future reference venmo (owned by PayPal) doesn't have a fee like that. There are certain ways people can scam with it but if you trust everyone, that'd be something you could do.

Dave

Dave

For future reference venmo (owned by PayPal) doesn't have a fee like that. There are certain ways people can scam with it but if you trust everyone, that'd be something you could do.
I did not know that, but more importantly the addon only goes to PayPal. I suppose for next time I can see if there’s a Venmo app.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I did not know that, but more importantly the addon only goes to PayPal. I suppose for next time I can see if there’s a Venmo app.
It's meant to be transactions between friends and whatnot so you'd have to give your real name out. However your're kinda past that point. Just a thought.

Denbrought

Denbrought

It's acceptable to give us a username, e-mail, or other means to send the stuff--the extra step is way worth 5% more cash ending up where it's needed. It's not like the forum hasn't donated to crowdfunding sites before.

strawman

strawman

...so you'd have to give your real name out.
You do that anyway with paypal. The recipient gets your name, address, and a few other bits of information.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I'm fine with sharing my name :)

Or am I not getting all of the issue?

Hylian

Hylian

Is there a way I can donate without using PayPal? They randomly froze my account a couple of years back and I never bothered to get it fixed

Dave

Dave

I'm trying to download Venmo now but it never lets me do it here at work. Which is annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1506615317,1506615150][/DOUBLEPOST]All right. I now have Venmo. www.venmo.com/David-Nihsen, oddly enough.

drifter

drifter

Is there a way I can donate without using PayPal? They randomly froze my account a couple of years back and I never bothered to get it fixed
You can use a debit or credit card to donate without signing in.

Hylian

Hylian

Thank you! I didn't know they had that :)

Dave

Dave

Or that.

Dave

Dave

There are still some that have not posted to my PayPal that show up in the Admin Panel that the donations have been made. An IM have been sent to the donating individuals to make sure that the numbers were correct and that they didn't get any error messages. If everything looks good on their end, it's just PayPal being squirrely, probably because of the fact they are outside of the US. (Hope this doesn't roach my PayPal account!)

If and when those come through, we've actually hit the $1500 mark Cog needed for the surgery. Which is frickin' amazing! I'm going to leave it up for a day or two just in case, though. If anyone wants to give still they can. All money (after fees) will go to Cog and his family.

Love you guys.

V

Vero

Hola, soy Verónica, la esposa de Cog. En estos momentos mis ojos se llenan de lágrimas de agradecimiento porque gente que no me conoce se ha preocupado por mi situación. Esto restaura en gran medida la fé en la generosidad de los demás que es tan difícil de encontrar en estos tiempos. No tengo palabras para expresar todo lo que siento. Solo puedo decirles mil gracias a los amigos imaginarios de mi esposo que es como yo los llamo. Mil bendiciones para ustedes y sus seres queridos. Siempre los buenos actos tendrán recompensa.

PD: Me pueden explicar como es que se interesan por mi esposo ;)? Literalmente nadie lo aguanta acá.

strawman

strawman

Via google translate:

Hi, it's Veronica, Cog's wife. At the moment my eyes are filled with tears of gratitude because people who do not know me have cared about my situation. This greatly restores faith in the generosity of others that is so difficult to find in these times. I have no words to express everything I feel. I can only say a thousand thanks to the imaginary friends of my husband who is what I call them. A thousand blessings for you and your loved ones. Good deeds will always have a reward.

PS: Can you explain to me how you are interested in my husband ;)? Literally no one can stand it here.

Cog

Cog

Isn't she great? The only bad thing she has is her taste in men.

She is in home now. She cried when she wrote that. First for emotion, then because it hurts her to cry.

strawman

strawman

PD: Me pueden explicar como es que se interesan por mi esposo ;)? Literalmente nadie lo aguanta acá.
Somos un grupo de inadaptados, por lo que encaja perfectamente.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Somos un grupo de inadaptados, por lo que encaja perfectamente.
Sí, lo que dijo.

Dave

Dave

Yo no hablo español.

drifter

drifter

Somos loco en la cabeza, es la verdad.

High school Spanish, fuck yeah!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Me pueden explicar como es que se interesan por mi esposo ;)? Literalmente nadie lo aguanta acá.
A pesar de conocernos, el se quedaba.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

Nos gusta Cog porque és un hombre honrado y de buén caracter, el amor que siente por ud. y su hija és admirable. También escribe el Inglés muy rarillo, cosa que nos divierte ;)

General Specific

General Specific

Je suis une bibliothèque

Dammit, French! Why are you so useless?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm going to leave it up for a day or two just in case
Good, cuz I can't confirm my amount until after work tonight.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Je suis une bibliothèque

Je parle au piscine!

Tress

Tress

IMG_1287.GIF

mikerc

mikerc

ʻAʻole pilikia, e ka maikaʻi!

Frank

Frank

Je suis une bibliothèque

The joke I was going to make like a billion years too late.

I'm ashamed that I'm so broke right now thanks to some ongoing money issues that I can't help. All I can do is wish you and your wife the best in hard times.

GasBandit

GasBandit

El bandido de gas no esta en su oficina. Desea dejarle un mensaje en el correo de voz?

PatrThom

PatrThom

No está en su piscina, también.
That guy sure gets around.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

El bandido de gas no esta en su oficina. Desea dejarle un mensaje en el correo de voz?
*beeeeeeeeeeeep*

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yo queiro taco bell.[DOUBLEPOST=1506707057,1506706834][/DOUBLEPOST]
*beeeeeeeeeeeep*

My Spanish II professor played Daddy Yankee in class all the time. He also liked Maná, which more my speed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Quest.

EDIT: I try to type ONE word in Spanish and get auto-corrected off the cool kids bus.

Dave

Dave

I'm ashamed that I'm so broke right now thanks to some ongoing money issues that I can't help. All I can do is wish you and your wife the best in hard times.
No need to feel bad, my dude. We got you covered.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hoy por ti, mañana por mi.

Emrys

Emrys

'All-yay re-ay illy-say.

bhamv3

bhamv3

永遠會不放棄你,永遠不會讓你失望

Cog

Cog

Today I arrived home and find Vero with a 104° fever. Went to the er again. She was hospitalized again. This will likely delay the surgery that is suposed to be urgent. If it weren't for you all I would start to think that nothing good is happening to me.

Dave

Dave

Well then we're glad we're here!

Money update!
  • Amount in PayPal transferred to my account: $1152
  • Amount remaining to be donated: $500 (a couple of donations erred out and they are trying again Monday).
I have Cog's information and will be sending it as soon as the last couple of donations come in. I do have to leave the button up so they can use it Monday, however. But we've hit the goal. Y'all are amazing.[DOUBLEPOST=1506779338,1506779210][/DOUBLEPOST]
9-30-2017 8-47-45 AM.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1506779498][/DOUBLEPOST]For the record, the total amount donated so far was $1300. PayPal got $148. Next time we'll use Venmo. I apologize I didn't realize there was an alternative that didn't take so many fees.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, we weren't done yet.

EDIT: @Dave I forgot to put in a comment what my payment was for, I assume you'll know it was for this. I also assume you'll know who it was from.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well then we're glad we're here!

Money update!
  • Amount in PayPal transferred to my account: $1152
  • Amount remaining to be donated: $500 (a couple of donations erred out and they are trying again Monday).
I have Cog's information and will be sending it as soon as the last couple of donations come in. I do have to leave the button up so they can use it Monday, however. But we've hit the goal. Y'all are amazing.[DOUBLEPOST=1506779338,1506779210][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 25642[DOUBLEPOST=1506779498][/DOUBLEPOST]For the record, the total amount donated so far was $1300. PayPal got $148. Next time we'll use Venmo. I apologize I didn't realize there was an alternative that didn't take so many fees.

It took me a moment to figure out you blurred that, I thought my eyes had broken.

Dave

Dave

I use my PayPal for my business as well, so I blurred that out.

Anonymous

Anon had no message, but for Cog.

Celt Z

Celt Z

@Dave : I think our Paypal is under Mr. Z's name, but that's me. I hope things get better soon, Cog!

Cog

Cog

Just saw a video of the accident. :(

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's video? Well at least now those questions about speed and distance can be answered.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Strange question. Are you going to be recouping ANY of this from the driver at fault?

Cog

Cog

Maybe in time. The guy is already free and declared without fault of his own. That's how things work here.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

How is Vero? In your last post about her, she had to go back to the hospital after having a 104 fever.

Cog

Cog

Still in the hospital. She has a nasty infection caused by the urinary catheter they used while she was in er.

Dave

Dave

[DOUBLEPOST=1506905970,1506905948][/DOUBLEPOST]If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....

Dave

Dave

Okay, all. I have removed the donation button and will be sending the money probably Wednesday. All known donations have been received.

I have transferred money from my PayPal to my bank in the following amounts:
  • $768.70
  • $383.30
  • $1077.52
The final tally comes out to...$2,229.52.

@Cog & @Vero : Merry Christmas. :)

Cog

Cog

Thank you so much. Vero can't reply herself but she says that she is grateful and that she is trying very hard to get better.

Dave

Dave

Sent.

2017-10-02_12-54-18.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

And now you have two stories to tell.
One about someone who didn't care.
And another about a bunch of people who do.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

By the way, the reason the stuff is just a bit different is because PayPal took $.25 to send the money to my card.

If anyone needs to see accounting details like donation amounts, etc. just let me know and I'll take screen shots. Hopefully I've done everything transparently enough to satisfy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

By the way, the reason the stuff is just a bit different is because PayPal took $.25 to send the money to my card.

If anyone needs to see accounting details like donation amounts, etc. just let me know and I'll take screen shots. Hopefully I've done everything transparently enough to satisfy.
You've built the sort of reputation here that even if you skimmed $50 I'd be like, "Eh, he probably needed it."

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I would not be able to live with myself if I did that.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I didn't even know about this thread or I would have sent something. Is it too late to send anything?

Dave

Dave

Yeah. The fees taken by PayPal and Western Union would just be too much.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, I would not be able to live with myself if I did that.
We know, Dave.
I'm intimately familiar with the feeling.

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yeah. The fees taken by PayPal and Western Union would just be too much.
We don't see eye-to-eye about some stuff, but you're a good man, Dave. Doing good work.

Simfers

Simfers

I'm so proud to be part of this community right now... @Cog, I hope your wife feels better and quickly. :):)

Dave

Dave

Did you get the money, @Cog?

Cog

Cog

No. Things aren't going well. Vero was exposed to kpc baceria in the hospital and she will have to be tested. I desperately need some rest from all this.

Dave

Dave

Good god, man.

Cog

Cog

I couldn't sleep last night. I just want this nightmare to end.

Bubble181

Bubble181

My life is currently somewhat sucky and I'm super stressed out, but I sincerely mean it when I say that if I had means of sending some good fortune from me to you, I would. You deserve a break, man.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm so sorry some of us don't live closer. I'd really love to be able to do something to help lessen your burden, even if it was making a few meals for your family or helping out with your daughter. Your mind must be going in 50 different directions, it's no wonder you can't sleep.

Dirona

Dirona

Dammit I just saw this now.
I hope things get better soon Cog! And that your wife's health improves swiftly and without further complications.
Thank you for keeping us posted. You've got a lot of people rooting for both of you.

Cog

Cog

Did you get the money, @Cog?
I finally had the time to get the money. Thank you again to all of you. I hope we can have that surgery soon with no further surprises.

Cog

Cog

The tests came back negative and Vero is home again! No more surprises please.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Keep getting stronger, Vero!

Cog

Cog

I can't believe the whole experience only lasted two weeks. It felt like an eternity.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Those hugs are for both of you, mi amor.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I hope she's feeling better soon. I'm really glad that there was something that we could do to help you all. Will she be able to have the surgery soon, now that she's been released?

I really wish that we were closer though. It sounds like you could use a hug! And no more surprises!

Cog

Cog

I hope she's feeling better soon. I'm really glad that there was something that we could do to help you all. Will she be able to have the surgery soon, now that she's been released?

I really wish that we were closer though. It sounds like you could use a hug! And no more surprises!
We'll have to check with her doctor. I'm worried about all the time that's passed.

Cog

Cog

Update: We can't have the surgery here in Portoviejo. We will have to travel to Guayaquil next week and see another doctor. Also, Vero's fever is back.

Dave

Dave

Well, we know you have the money for it, so that's one less thing to worry about!

Give her our love, will you?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Give her our love, will you?
DISCLAIMER: OurLove is intended for use as a supplement only, and is not intended to replace CogLove. Please continue to supply CogLove whenever possible.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Traveling to Guayaquil monday morning. We have to be in the clinic by 10 am, so we are leaving at 5 am. We are no having the surgery but we are going to schedule it.

Did I mention that I hate to travel? For some reason I can think of a lot of worst things so I'm ok with it now.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Get plenty of sleep and DRIVE SAFELY!

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Get plenty of sleep and DRIVE SAFELY!

--Patrick
I can't drive. We had to hire someone who will take us there and back.

I'm missing a lot of work. December is going to be very stressful for me and the people who depends of my work to do theirs.

Anonymous

I can't drive. We had to hire someone who will take us there and back.

I'm missing a lot of work. December is going to be very stressful for me and the people who depends of my work to do theirs.
When you say you can't drive, do you mean:

a: you yourself do not know how to drive an automobile;
b: you are in no fit condition to drive an automobile;
c: something else which forced you to hire a driver.

I'm sorry if this seems too inquisitive, I just thought pretty much everybody knew how to drive, even if they don't own a car.

Cog

Cog

I'm sorry if this seems too inquisitive, I just thought pretty much everybody knew how to drive, even if they don't own a car.
I don't know how to drive. I'm honestly afraid to do it. I lack of senses of direction and measure.

Terrik

Terrik

My wife didn't know how to drive until she was 27. She didn't have a reason to get a license or drive a car until then. I don't think it's all that unusual.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I don't have a car driver's license. My brother got his at 29. My dad is in his 50's and has no license of any kind (mopeds ftw). We're all able-bodied.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Outside of the US and Canada there are lots of people who don't drive and never get a drivers license.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Outside of the US and Canada there are lots of people who don't drive and never get a drivers license.
Hush, you. If word gets out, it can only end one of two ways: more freedom for the rest of the world, or better public transportation for North America. AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT NOW CAN WE

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I learned to drive stick at 15. YOU CAN DO EET

Dave

Dave

The not having a sense of distance would be a problem. I don't blame him for not putting others at risk.

Dei

Dei

My son is scared of driving and wants nothing to do with it. I'm probably going to work" getting him a permit, but I don't know that he'll even use it.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I lived overseas when I turned 16 and I had no interest in driving. There was no need. There was excellent public transit.

I got my license when I was about 26 when we moved here because the transit here is terrible and I needed to drive for my job. Where we live now, I have to drive. We're super far from everything.

Anonymous

I was a mess when I turned old enough to learn to drive. I refused to learn because the public transport where I live is good enough and I was pretty sure if I did drive then one day I would wrap the car around a tree at speed and it probably wouldn't be an accident. Two decades on and the fear of deliberately crashing isn't a concern any more but the public transport is still good enough so I've never got round to learning.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I learned to drive stick at 15
...phrasing?

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Living here would be a goddamn nightmare if I couldn't drive. I'd love to live in a city where you don't have to though. Its such a hassle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have vowed to never live anywhere that requires parallel parking.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I have vowed to never live anywhere that requires parallel parking.
Living out on the street would suck.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

The not having a sense of distance would be a problem. I don't blame him for not putting others at risk.
Depends on the context. I don't have a good sense of distance as in I can't estimate in yards how far it is from my house to my neighbor's. I have no problem with depth perception though.

Emrys

Emrys

When I was a teenager, I had to put a compass in my car so I could find my way around. I've gotten better but I still praise the invention of GPS.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I was a teenager, I had to put a compass in my car so I could find my way around. I've gotten better but I still praise the invention of GPS.
Some people really do have no sense of direction. Pauline often confused left with right, and frequently got lost in malls.

Dei

Dei

I have the mountains, I don't need a compass. :p

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have the ocean! And not too far to go in any direction.

Dei

Dei

I have the ocean! And not too far to go in any direction.
Yeah, but in Hawaii every direction leads to the ocean. ;)

Cog

Cog

Update. Vero can't have the surgery until her urinary infection is cleared. Also, she needs a new tomography. Also, because of the passed time, her eye is now cicatrized and it's going to be a more difficult (and expensive) operation. Luckyly, you gave us more than enough for it. Thank you again.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Yeah, but in Hawaii every direction leads to the ocean. ;)
I was trying to be funny.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Some people really do have no sense of direction. Pauline often confused left with right, and frequently got lost in malls.
Kati has the same problem.
Fortunately she's married now, so she has a mnemonic.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Vero's infection continues. Time to find an Infectiologist

Cog

Cog

I thought this phase was over. Worst case scenario, she is going back to the hospital (this time a private clinic). Best case, more antibiotics. Still the surgery keeps being postponed.

Cog

Cog

Update: Another 10 days of treatment and the test for infection came back negative. The doctor says that we need to wait another month and test again. If that test results are negative, finally Vero will have her surgery.

She is doing a lot better and told me to say hello to all of you.

Dave

Dave

Tell we said hi back and send her our love.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Not.... literally sending it, you understand, as the postal services frown on that sort of thing.

But we can expect you to act as our hug-proxy.

Dave

Dave

No, I meant that literally. So when the box arrives, Cog, make really sure you want what's inside before you open it.

:)rofl:)[DOUBLEPOST=1510935060,1510934986][/DOUBLEPOST]Whoa. That's weird. You can't put the rolling emoji inside parenthesis. It reverts the image back to the : rofl : (without the spaces) and so it reads the : & ) each way as normal smilies.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You can't put the rolling emoji inside parenthesis. It reverts the image back to the : rofl : (without the spaces) and so it reads the : & ) each way as normal smilies.
Use brackets: [:rofl:]

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Use brackets: [:rofl:]

--Patrick
Or spaces
( :rofl: )

Dave

Dave

Or other rolling faces.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'm feeling a little motion sickness now

( :puke: )

PatrThom

PatrThom

He does that enough, he’s gonna be swimming in it, since it can’t drain anywhere.

—Patrick

Cog

Cog

Nos gusta Cog porque és un hombre honrado y de buén caracter, el amor que siente por ud. y su hija és admirable. También escribe el Inglés muy rarillo, cosa que nos divierte ;)
Pensándolo bien, mi español también te debe sonar muy rarito.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Pensándolo bien, mi español también te debe sonar muy rarito.
Mucho menos ahora que he pasado una década en los EEUU, donde casi todos los hispanohablantes con los que hablo son de México, Ecuador, etc. Ya me acostumbré a que se restrieguen el castellano de la RAE por el forro :p

Cog

Cog

A month has passed and the new test came back negative. Let's see if we can do this before the new year.

Cog

Cog

We have a date with the anesthesiologist the 15th.

Simfers

Simfers

Best of luck, Cog. The very best.

Cog

Cog

Appointment postponed to the 22nd

Cog

Cog

They changed the date again. The appointment was today. Just came back from Guayaquil. The surgery will be next Monday. Thanks to all of you again.

Cog

Cog

Vero is having her surgery right now

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I hope everything turns out well for you both.

Cog

Cog

We are back. It was three hours of surgery and everything went ok. I'm bad at relating things but please ask if you want to know something about today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

please ask if you want to know something about today.
Not counting the inevitable recovery period, are you guys all done with the surgery part now?

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Not counting the inevitable recovery period, are you guys all done with the surgery part now?

--Patrick
Unless something else happens. Yes this part is over.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Send our love to Vero. Glad the surgery went well.

Cog

Cog

The doctor removed Vero's stitches today. She says everything looks ok and she hopes that Vero will cicatrize correctly. I haven't see Vero yet. I'm still nervous because she has to travel alone to Guayaquil. (Well, not alone, the driver and a friend of her are with her but still). The doctor will remove the small tube in her lacrimal next month.

Dave

Dave

Does she have to wear a cone so she doesn't chew on the stitches?

PatrThom

PatrThom

cicatrize
"heal up/heal over/scar" (of a wound)

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

Does she have to wear a cone so she doesn't chew on the stitches?
Next to her eye? That would be interesting to see.