Canadian Politics

As was posted in another thread here (I think?), half your country was sitting sympathies when 16 hockey players died. 215 indigenous children, eh yeah, it's bad isn't it, gosh what a weather we're having.

(I do not mean to imply Canada/Canadians are in any way alone in this. American natives, aboriginals, the Congolese, Armenians, the Uygurs, there's far too many people in similar or worse situations.)

GasBandit

Staff member
As was posted in another thread here (I think?), half your country was sitting sympathies when 16 hockey players died. 215 indigenous children, eh yeah, it's bad isn't it, gosh what a weather we're having.

(I do not mean to imply Canada/Canadians are in any way alone in this. American natives, aboriginals, the Congolese, Armenians, the Uygurs, there's far too many people in similar or worse situations.)
The death of a few is a tragedy. The death of many is a statistic. And some deaths are multiplied by brains absolutely refusing to come to grips with how horrific something is, out of self defense.

Wanna be madder? Reconciliation wanted 1.5 million to check all of the residential schools for this years ago, the government told them to hit the bricks. Hopefully now they'll be forced to.

Because this is probably just the tip.

I think the disassociation is because these aren't new deaths, unlike the 16 hockey players. It's like digging up an old artifact. If it was reported 215 childen died at once today, then people would react differently. This is more like unearthed history.

Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely horrifying and I hope to hell an investigation is opened, especially to search the other schools. But I think purely because it didn't happen TODAY is why a lot of people aren't reacting strongly to it, even though they absolutely should.

Canadians aren't being quiet about this either, everyone I know is mad about it. My city's local government is being inundated by calls and such. Half this city is named after one of the architects and shepherds of residential schools in western Canada. I went to two fucking schools named after top residential school Catholic folks. An entire neighborhood is named after him. Roads are named for him.

This is hopefully the event that helps Canadians finally start doing something to make amends for the brutal, terrible treatment of the native people.

Canadians aren't being quiet about this either, everyone I know is mad about it. My city's local government is being inundated by calls and such. Half this city is named after one of the architects and shepherds of residential schools in western Canada. I went to two fucking schools named after top residential school Catholic folks. An entire neighborhood is named after him. Roads are named for him.

This is hopefully the event that helps Canadians finally start doing something to make amends for the brutal, terrible treatment of the native people.
Bishop Grandin or St Vital? Winnipeg's FULL of it.

1622939608135.png

The Dorechester Review is run by Chris Champion, the guy the UPC hired in a consulting role in writing the new Social Studies curriculum.

Man, you know Kenney is floundering because he's banging on about equalization payments (a-fucking-gain, the system he created while the finance minister in Ottawa) and some mythical referendum that's going to change the legislation in Ottawa. Dipshit, even Albertans fucking know we can't change federal laws with a provincial referendum. Even the dumbest, most devout, dyed in the wool member of the UCP who live in La Crete know this is bullshit.

The Alberta government just told us that they're sorry, not sorry they lost billions of dollars on Keystone XL.

I tend to vote Green and if an elected official I voted for did this, I would absolutely be pissed off. I vote Green or NDP because their platform tends to be more progressive than the Liberal party.

751 graves found at residential school in Saskatchewan.

As jarring as this is, there will be more.

It isn't that nobody knew about these graves it's now we can prove they exist.

Prior to the ground penetrating radar technology it was a legal battle to get records released. One that was opposed quite staunchly.

Last edited:
The Catholic church has been fighting to keep records sealed so fuck em. It's the least they deserve. I laughed out loud at the RCMP getting taken to court now over It's part. Good. Tear that organization to threads too.

It bears repeating that that Saskatchewan school where 751 kids were found was only closed in the 90s.

Yep, I share Frank's sentiment. Fuck 'em. They could have released the records long, long, LONG before even the first batch of bodies were discovered. Only NOW are they going to release the records. Fuck the church. Fuck every single person involved in both the act and the covering up.

So I think you need more than one hand's worth of fingers to count the number of churches that have MYSTERIOUSLY been burned to the ground now.

I can't help but feel this could have been avoided. Build a 25 million dollar super cathedral and claim poverty when it comes to reparations if I'm wrong.

So I think you need more than one hand's worth of fingers to count the number of churches that have MYSTERIOUSLY been burned to the ground now.
Seems like a good time for insurance fraud in areas where the congregation has dropped to the level where it could be handled by a smaller church that would be cheaper than the current one’s insurance policy pays out.

Politics aside, all the churches are located close to each and all of them are out west, in the once in a 10,000 year heatwave.

Alberta UCP MLA's are being accosted at Canada Day celebrations by insane anti-vaxx people.

I'd feel bad for them, but you know, you reap what you sow.
Post automatically merged:

Politics aside, all the churches are located close to each and all of them are out west, in the once in a 10,000 year heatwave.
You think the heat knocked down those statues too?

Alberta UCP MLA's are being accosted at Canada Day celebrations by insane anti-vaxx people.

I'd feel bad for them, but you know, you reap what you sow.
Post automatically merged:

You think the heat knocked down those statues too?
No I was mentioning that as the church fires could easily spread.

So, a good friend of mine has been a nurse for like 20 years now. She's worried about things in hospitals for the first time ever. The hospitals are deserted. The one she works at (the busiest) had to close a third of it's ER beds because of lack of staff. Edmonton is calling in EMT help from neighboring towns and cities because it's are so depleted.

So, a good friend of mine has been a nurse for like 20 years now. She's worried about things in hospitals for the first time ever. The hospitals are deserted. The one she works at (the busiest) had to close a third of it's ER beds because of lack of staff. Edmonton is calling in EMT help from neighboring towns and cities because it's are so depleted.
Erm, what happened to them all? Are they quitting? Not wanting to go in because of being overworked? I'm hearing similar rumblings happening in New Brunswick, as well.

Pretty fucking insane that Nova Scotia Liberals kicked out a member for having an Onlyfans but was cool with a Hitler posing member.

Meanwhile, in Alberta, things are progressing nicely.

90% increase from last year. Good job closing all the safe use sites across Alberta UCP, good job.

Omg @Frank you are such a noob, she was dropped because she admits to struggling with mental health issues, the onlyfans is just a desperate attempt to hide that, because they couldn't possibly field a candidate with mental health issues, that would be crazy! /s

Also it's perfectly okay to kill cyclists with your SUV. also /s

Neat.

How many Albertans want a provincial police force?

No hands are raised.

UCP: We're getting a provincial police force!!

Won't this be way more expensive?

UCP: NOPE!

1628369575911.png

Meanwhile I don't have a family doctor anymore because mine left the province last month and I am having great difficulty finding a new one. There's an upwards of 60 minute wait for an ambulance in Edmonton right now because of an unbelievable uptick in opiod overdose patients. ERs are having to partially shut down due to lack of staff. Teachers get to go to schools with God knows what kind of exposure to Covid since no one is allowed to test for it without extreme symptoms. Seriously, you call 811 right now to book a Covid test they HAVE to turn you away unless you're riddled with symptoms.