Canadian Politics

Add John Baird to the list hypocritical traitors doing everything to undermine Canada on the international stage. 3 years ago the Saudi flogging of a protestor waa a concern but now it's Canada sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong? Fuck you. Stay in Saudi Arabia you piece of shit.
The original thing doing it via Tweet was dumb, but at least they were SAYING the right things. Hearts in the right place for once.

Baird going on TV was idiotic, especially with whom he did it with. Saying all that stuff on CBC or something? Sure, fine. Where he did it? Yikes.

So, Energy East Pipeline everyone? Stop importing Conflict Oil?

Doug Ford's been premier for what, six minutes and he's already moved into using the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as a suggestion.

Fucking Christ.

In fairness to our brothers to the west, it's not like there have been any recent examples of why electing dumb far-right populists is a bad idea that they could look at.

Damn, racism against white people in Canada is so totally rampant:

When will minority learn that calling out racism is racist to white people...

Damn, racism against white people in Canada is so totally rampant:

When will minority learn that calling out racism is racist to white people...

Oh thank goodness, I thought this was the forced sterilization of indigenious women in Saskatoon story.

Ugh, that video is auto-playing, and now it's auto-playing twice over with the quoted version.
I share this rant.
-Click on embedded video to start playback.
-Video starts playing.
-Some stupid javascript wakes up and says, "Oh, you clicked! Let me take you to the original site!"
-New window/tab opens to page where video came from.
-New window/tab startsts playinging immediatelyly, twotwo secondsds behindind embeddeded videoeo.

--Patrick

Heard on the radio today that the Catholic church in NB is fighting the insurance industry to have insurance cover their molestation payouts.

WTF. Molestation insurance? Please tell me that's not a thing that can actually exist.
The argument, I think, is that it's a type of intentional injury that was covered by the language in their liability policy at the time.

Here's a CBC article on it: Insurers bring case against Bathurst diocese to Supreme Court
Excerpts said:
Aviva Insurance Company is bringing its fight against the Catholic diocese of Bathurst to the country's highest court.
In October, New Brunswick's Court of Appeal ruled in favour of the Catholic Church, ordering the insurers to pay it $3.4 million to go toward compensation for victims of pedophile priests.
(..) The church had been arguing the insurance policy at the time of the abuse included coverage for "bodily injury caused intentionally by … the archdiocese."
But the insurers claimed the church failed in its obligation to disclose information about the abuse, and the coverage was therefore void.
(..) Victims in the Bathurst case have already been paid, and it is now a matter of whether the insurance company will reimburse the church.

And Canada's cold war with Saudi Arabia is intensifying, as we take in a famous refugee.
First of all: she's in a horrific situation that typifies a lot of women in Saudi Arabia. I hope she DOES get out (no more shenanigans) be it to Australia, or here.

Second: we're screwed for any negotiating power, or moral impact as long as the oil tankers from Saudi keep docking here and offloading. Energy East would have made that obsolete, but Montreal objected. Eastern Canada & Quebec would rather have their oil with some blood in it, than buy from Alberta apparently.

A political cartoonist in the 90s summed up Quebec's attitude well, with a cartoon with Manning, Chretien, and Bouchard in it, where the PM is serving tea to Bouchard, with Manning off to the side in a folding chair, and Chretien says "You must understand Preston, Monsieur Bouchard may be a separatist bent on destroying Canada, but at least he's not a westerner."

A political cartoonist in the 90s summed up Quebec's attitude well, with a cartoon with Manning, Chretien, and Bouchard in it, where the PM is serving tea to Bouchard, with Manning off to the side in a folding chair, and Chretien says "You must understand Preston, Monsieur Bouchard may be a separatist bent on destroying Canada, but at least he's not a westerner."
I can totally picture that!

Our cold war with Saudi Arabia continues as they help one of their citizens flee Canada.

In Nova Scotia doncha know.

Our cold war with Saudi Arabia continues as they help one of their citizens flee Canada.

In Nova Scotia doncha know.
Aye I heard about that. When I heard about it, I thought of you, even. Well, you and your fellow Halforum Haligonians.

I said "He's Haligone!"

Oh dear. You're forgetting someone.

And a couple cats. Because they make regular appearances here, I consider Pud and Diomedes as honorary members.